main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Kelly Marie Tran (Rose Tico) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BalanceOfTheForce, Dec 18, 2017.

?

Does Rose survive

Poll closed Dec 2, 2019.
  1. Rose survives the film

64.7%
  2. Rose dies early on

16.9%
  3. Rose dies late in the film

3.7%
  4. Rose saves the day

14.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The-Clone-Wars

The-Clone-Wars Jedi Master star 3

Jun 27, 2002
    So do you think, judging by Abrams' style in the past, we'll move from planet to planet in a linear, chronological fashion? As well as I can remember, this is in keeping with all the other Star Wars films (save TLJ and parts of Ep 2 and 3 subplots). We've been told the film starts out with the gang on an adventure: as they reach the opening planet of the film, perhaps the gang splits up into two groups, one being just Rey and Rose. The guys front the mission, I'm assuming on either Batuu or Tatooine. If the heroes run into danger just as they're trying to regroup, hopefully we'll see a nice parallel to ROTJ, where we the audience now feel their camaraderie. Only I'm still struggling to imagine what this will all look like. Some time will have passed so the main characters in the small rebellion will have become well acquainted; but now it will be our first glimpse at newly established group dynamics. Come to think of it: out of Rey, Poe, Finn and Rose...Finn is the only one to have had a significant relationship with any of the others.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  2. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    [​IMG]

She either stays at the base so that someone can respond to Leia or she leaves with the rest and stays on the Falcon a bit. R2-D2 will also probably be with her.

3. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    JB said a lot of the movie is about Rey, Finn, Poe and Jannah going on a big massive adventure. I guess that means Rose gets left behind, what a bummer if this is true. Though it could mean that there's two major storylines: Rey's group and Resistance vs FO.

4. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Well......Finn's relationship with Leia is pencil thin compared to Poe and even Rey. And he's never met Luke.

5. The-Clone-Wars

The-Clone-Wars Jedi Master star 3

Jun 27, 2002
    That's true. That's the other side of it. Finn is intertwined with all the new generation characters, but none of the remaining OT characters. His character is an enigma. We anticipate multiple scenes with Leia from TFA, so hopefully Finn (and the Rebellion/Resistance) will be huddled up for a pep rally!

Also, it's no wonder Boyega is the one at Celebration that mentioned the "love pentagon." If he could be Poe's lover, then he could just as well work out his aggression with Kylo, lol, though I certainly hope not. That leaves Rey and Rose. Will there even be any romance in TROS and will one between Finn and Rose mature? I know most found the kiss to be shockingly unnecessary, but I thought it was sweet. The feelings may have originated much more strongly from Rose, but I personally thought the chemistry was there from the beginning of TLJ and that it mirrored (if only palely) Leia and Han's chemistry in TESB. Of course they want to leave us guessing, or there may end up being no romances at all in TROS. I'm mostly excited to see both new and old friendships among the five youngsters along with newcomer Naomie Ackie. And of course I would expect throwing Lando into the mix as a much-needed leader is going to bring everyone together for a common purpose. But I agree there is ample evidence to support the idea of two plots progressing side-by-side.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  6. DarthKegs

DarthKegs Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 21, 2019
    Personally I hope her part is played down to what R2's was in TFA. I thought her character was dreadful in TLJ. Having never seen her in anything else I can't comment whether she's a poor actress or a decent actress with a bad part but for me the damage has been done and I'd like to see her role be nothing more than a cameo.

7. Jedi Older Code

Jedi Older Code Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2014
    Thanks for letting us know.

Blueandwhite likes this.
  8. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    I hope not. JJ may have not created her character but I'm sure he's professional enough to find a way for her to still be relevant to the story.

9. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

ForceGhostPrincessLeia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 22, 2018
    Didn't JJ say that casting KMT was his favorite thing RJ did? Bodes well for Rose imo.

Dandelo likes this.
  10. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    At the very least, we have one confirmed scene with Rose and Rey talking to each other. I’m hoping there’s more where this photo came from.

11. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    There were actually some old rumors that Rey and Rose would go on a mission together.

12. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    **Pffff**
    Women...? Going on missions together????

What's next?........Women voting? Women shooting guns??

PREPOSTEROUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. DarthKegs

Mar 21, 2019
    No problem

14. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Her look in that pic with Rey is a far better one than her TLJ look, that's for sure!

15. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    It's not about the actual actor but the character and her Star Wars deconstructive role in the story. It seems RJ's entire point was to place a character type that doesn't fit well into a Star Wars movie. An annoying Lisa Simpson type who preaches to people (teaching slaves about slavery no less and complaining about the wealthy) combined with Trek technobabble fixer type (lightspeed tracking).

He made a concerted effort to make her an annoying character. Even from the above photo from IX we can see RJ also made a concerted effort to do the opposite of what movies usually do where they beautify people. This extends to his "joke" in TLJ where by all logic Finn and Rose should have dressed up to fit in on Canto Bight. Instead they are totally out of place and oblivious to their surrounding. They get arrested for parking on the beach... yeah right. That IX image of Rose has says character overhaul in itself.

The whole CB sequence was subversive "comedy" just as Rose's character conception was at the core. In IX I expect that she will be a very different character. JJ wants his hero characters to be super relatable and "nice" to the point they aren't all that interesting (see Rey, Finn and Poe) so I expect the same will happen to her.

I think she will be giving something to do and get some moment but there is far too much to do get through. I expect it will be like Lando in both this movie and what he did in ROTJ.

Of course the real problem in TLJ wasn't wholly the way she looked but her written character. In as much as in movies (Star Wars even more so I'd argue) a character's overall design is important her TLJ costume design and overall image played into her character as I noted above. The new image from IX immediately signals character overhaul. Her comedy purpose is now excised.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  16. Alien Vanguard

Alien Vanguard Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2015
    I haven't seen her in anything else either, but I highly doubt she's a dreadful actor. In fact, I'm positive it's solely due to the way she was written and the whole tone of her scenes.

17. DarthKegs

Mar 21, 2019
    I'd lean heavily towards that being the case as well but I still would prefer to see her role diminished hugely for TRoS.

18. The Deuteragonist

The Deuteragonist Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Personally, I want more Rose. I feel like it would be a very missed opportunity to have a character that’s a woman of color not get the screentime that she deserves. Rose may be divisive, but she’s not completely hated by everyone. Also, she’s a sweetheart who wants to help save the galaxy. Maybe the writers could tone down the self-righteousness and her crush on Finn, but Rose is pretty great otherwise. It would also be a really bad look for one woman of color’s screentime to be shortchanged because of another woman of color being added to the film, as if there isn’t room for all of them.

In any case, if Rose absolutely must be separated from the main characters in order for the story to work, then every scene she’s in should be nothing but her being a BOSS. She deserves that much at least.

19. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    What would be her special skill that she could add to the team on their mission? Closest character to her is Bodhi Rook, who is also not a fighter. Though he did have insider knowledge of the Empire that was crucial to the mission in Rogue One.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  20. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Both Jason Fry and Pablo Hidalgo added things in their work around TLJ that tried to make her a bit more of a gadgeteer and “Q” like character - they had her responsible for the bombs that could one-drop-kill the Dreadnaught and for the cloaking system that the film name drops, even if we never see the latter actually work.

Arguably, she could be reconfigured into that kind of character, and maybe even be the perfect crew member for the infamously finicky Falcon, making it more of a smoothly running hot rod with constant maintanence and modifications.

21. Knight of Jedi Ren Sith

Knight of Jedi Ren Sith Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 29, 2018
    It's interesting that Rose is better written by other writers than her own creator. I fully expect JJ to take full advantage of the character's strengths and give her something interesting to do, rather than just preach simpleminded rhetoric.

And yet I often hear people say that Rian should be given his own trilogy so we can see what he can do in SW when he can create his own characters. But we have. Rose and Holdo.

Both of these characters were Rian originals, played by excellent actresses, and yet he characterizes them both so poorly that Rose comes off as boring and Holdo as a poor planner and unnecessarily secretive leader.

So when Rose comes off better in E9 as I expect her to, that should make people question our need to see Rian create more original characters in SW.

22. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    To be fair, she doesn't have to leave the resistance base to have a function similar to Q. Also, Chewie and Rey could fix the Falcon themselves.

I want to know what she could bring to the group on their adventure that's unique and a task only she could do.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  23. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

ForceGhostPrincessLeia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 22, 2018
    She could go because numbers? What did Leia do that nobody else could on Endor?

24. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Befriend the Ewoks.

Alien teddy bears see cute girl, they're friendly with her.

Aliens teddy bears see dudes, droids and a wookie. "KILL THE BASTARDS!!!!"

25. Darth Imbecillis

Darth Imbecillis Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.