main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Kelly Marie Tran (Rose Tico) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BalanceOfTheForce, Dec 18, 2017.

?

Does Rose survive

Poll closed Dec 2, 2019.
  1. Rose survives the film

64.7%
  2. Rose dies early on

16.9%
  3. Rose dies late in the film

3.7%
  4. Rose saves the day

14.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
  2. Darth Imbecillis

Darth Imbecillis Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2016
    *shrug*
    If you say so. But these are the parts that made me wonder:
    "I was told Finn has “something to fight for.”"
    "J.J. Abrams did say during the panel at Celebration Chicago we would see why Rose isn’t with the group all of the time."

3. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I don’t know if that would imply pregnancy to me.

And as unexcited as I am towards the idea of Rose being Finn’s romantic interest, I’m really hoping she has a larger role and more awesome stuff to do. Nothing would be more boring than making the only really positive romance in the ST be a token one with a tertiary character not on screen that much.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  4. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    Imagine the backlash if they sidelined her character because she's pregnant.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  5. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    As long as she doesnt end up like Padme in RotS and actually contributes to the plot, it will be fine

6. JediAce1

May 8, 2014
    No, it will not be fine. You can't sideline a character and give her less screentime than the previous movie because of a pointless pregnancy.

At least with Padme she had to be pregnant to connect ROTS to ANH. Rose doesn't NEED to be pregnant at all.

7. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    I don't see why the pregnancy has to be pointless. Especially if it ends with a happy ending for the family.

The funny thing is that up until this particular MSW rumor, everyone was happy and no one complaining about Rose's perceived less screen time in RoS.

At most you had people say "well, Its too bad Rose may only be in the movie a little bit, but we've got so many main characters that need focus."

8. JediAce1

May 8, 2014
    It's pointless because it's an excuse to sideline Rose. If you don't think people will speak out in disgust if this rumor is true you're kidding yourself.

9. Darth Imbecillis

Jan 20, 2016
    If this interpretation is even true, I think it could just as easily be an attempt to make Rose more pertinent to the emotional core of the film. Being a mother of the next generation gives her a different role, and depending on the themes of the film potentially a more resonant one, than just being 1/4 of a group of friends. The franchise has quite the history of shafting mothers, after all.

Whether it works in execution remains to be seen (assuming it happens).

cerealbox likes this.
  10. JediAce1

May 8, 2014
    Then send her on the adventure with the rest of the group. Give her as much screentime as possible so they can fully develop her and Finn's relationship. What you don't do is sideline her at the Resistance base giving her less screentime AND try to make her and Finn's relationship not feel underdeveloped and tacked on for no purpose.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  11. Darth Imbecillis

Jan 20, 2016
    I hear you. I wish she had more screentime, too. But then, we don't actually know how much screentime she has, yet.

12. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    She could have Lando screentime in ROTJ. there is likely more going on in the story then just a basic plot.

cerealbox likes this.
  13. Mila Lazarus

Mila Lazarus Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 29, 2018
    I don’t want to put more fuel into the fire, but Rose being pregnant could explain why we never saw a leaked picture of her... not that I’d like it. I’d hate it actually: I’d much rather see the romance development happening on screen, since it was so poorly set up in TLJ. But considering that Rose is not JJ’s character and that the romance was not his idea, I’m afraid that an off-screen development is a possibility to seriously consider.

14. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

ForceGhostPrincessLeia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 22, 2018
    The picture we have seen doesn't look like she's visibly pregnant, fwiw.

15. Mila Lazarus

Mila Lazarus Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 29, 2018
    You mean the one with Rey?
    We don’t see her body.

16. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

ForceGhostPrincessLeia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 22, 2018
    [​IMG]

We might not see her whole body, but the position of her belt and the tuck on her shirt don't look like she's showing, imo. That's not to say that she can't be pregnant or didn't have a baby in the time jump, but I really hope not. It just screams shark jump to me.

17. reyvision

reyvision Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2017
    I rewatched the Celebration Panel last night and JJ did not say we'd learn why Rose wasn't on the mission with them. He didn't even say if she was with them or not. Rose could be with them for all we know, just not pictured. R2D2 isn't pictured with them either.

My thoughts, though, are they needed a bigger character to stay back with Leia and the Resistance because of Carrie. I see Rose maybe being the eyes and ears and answering to the trio because Leia obviously can't do it all.

18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Rose is pregnant?

Rose = Shmi confirmed!!

19. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Truthfully......... we never saw Shmi pregnant......did we.

20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Not unless they make the Prequel Prequel Trilogy

21. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    I thought you were banned for lame puns?

22. JediAce1

May 8, 2014
    That's actually a good point that I didn't really think about why Rose doesn't go on the adventure with the group.

Jedi Knight Fett and reyvision like this.
  23. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    If he were banned for making lame puns, he would be unbanned because of those lame puns; everybody needs a few dad jokes now and then![face_devil]

There shouldn’t be any real need to sideline Rose in the first place; there’d be nothing wrong with even just making her an omnipresent fixture on the Falcon, wiping it up so that no-one could possible catch them and interacting with the other heroes anytime they’re aboard. I mean, there’d be nothing wrong with Abrams remaking Rose into the Star Wars equivalent of Star Trek’s Scotty, especially on a ship as finicky as the Falcon.

And the thing about sidelining Rose if she’s Finn’s love interest is that it does a disservice to both the concept of being a love interest and to Rose as a character. The idea of making Rose “something for Finn to fight for” kind of points out how decreasing her screentime while ostensibly emphasizing her romantic role makes her more of a trope than a 3D character. Making her pregnant kind of does likewise, and is something else that could be integrated into a more active role, and bit better: there’s a reason why Pregnant Badass is a trope as well.

24. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Padme is absolutely essential to and contributes to the plot of ROTS in all ways character and story related. There is no way Rose will be at that standard. At best she'll contribute to some secondary storyline that feeds into the main one.

25. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I don't think rose will be pregnant. I suspect Rose will be part of another plot line going on. Maybe that's where R2 and Lando come in too.

Rose being pregnant doesn't seem like something that would do anything for the story.

One Quarter Portion likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.