main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Kelly Marie Tran (Rose Tico) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BalanceOfTheForce, Dec 18, 2017.

?

Does Rose survive

Poll closed Dec 2, 2019.
  1. Rose survives the film

64.7%
  2. Rose dies early on

16.9%
  3. Rose dies late in the film

3.7%
  4. Rose saves the day

14.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    I'm going by MSW's rumor of Lando sized role. Like the battle of the Deathstar II in RotJ

2. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    reyvision likes this.
  3. The Walking Carpet

The Walking Carpet Jedi Youngling

Apr 21, 2019
    Was this in the movie? Saw online. Don’t remember this. Cute moment. Maybe I missed.

[​IMG]

4. N7Jedi

N7Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2016
    I think it's from a deleted scene.

Def Trooper likes this.
  5. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    I think Rose is going to be a pretty small part of TROS. Smaller than TLJ. Probably about the same as Connix in TROS. The bulk of the movie will be taken up by this adventure the group goes on (and she's not in the group) and Rey/Kylo force stuff IMO. I just don't see where Rose fits except a few comments or like one cool Scotty-like engineering thing she does to help during the final space battle.

6. Def Trooper

Def Trooper Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2019
    A romance between her and Finn wouldn't be the end of the world for me, but please not like this. There hasn't been any proper buildup toward that, I just hate the idea of going from their awkward, silly arc in TLJ straight into banging off-screen/pregnancy the next time we see them.

If JJ is going for Finn/Rose, then it should be properly explored in IX, since Johnson just stapled it on at the last possible second in TLJ.

7. Rodie

Apr 16, 2014
    If Finn/Rose are cemented as a couple at the start of IX, maybe that would be so Finn is off the table for Rey, they are just close friends, and it opens the door more for hints and insinuations of a future offscreen Rey/Poe thing. I could see how narratively that makes things simpler and more concise in JJ's mind perhaps. No time for a love triangle in IX really.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    Emperor Ferus likes this.
  8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Does anyone else think this scene looks like it takes place on the desert planet? They look like they're in a tent and what we see of the outside looks hot and deserty. I like the idea of the new Resistance base being in the desert instead of another jungle. Either Tatooine or Jedha.

Def Trooper likes this.
  9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It looks like a blizzard outside. They are back on Hoth but they are just dressed horridly inappropriately.

10. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    They didn't name drop any new planet names did they this time?

11. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Nope

12. Def Trooper

Def Trooper Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2019
    @Darth Chiznuk Yeah, that's what I was thinking. A tent or maybe the interior of a busted-up ship on Jakku, and maybe the screen they're using is part of that fold-out portable command center from the Crait battle.

13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The new Rebel base is inside Rey's old AT-AT.

14. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I kind of have to say that Rey and Poe is the least likely possible romance in my opinion. Pretty much all the other romance options have better development, even the ones unsupported thus far in the comparability bracket (Poe/Finn), and even the ones I’d regard as poisonous (Rey/Kylo).

I’m more inclined to think that Finn and Rose are maybe being put forward as the Official Couple of the ST just because they’re the safest, most non-threatening option, and that clearing the table isn’t really necessary for Rey, since I feel like they’re probably setting her up for a life as a single Jedi acolyte.

More than one franchise has decided the best way to avoid misfiring in a female lead’s romance (like accidentally writing her love interest as more important to that story than the lead) is to simply avoid a romance entirely, even though a romance-less hero is rare in genre films. Captain Marvel would be a good comparison for this line of thought.

And with Rose, they may have been confronted by the fact that she’d just not developed for all that much outside of a romance-centered role, and felt that removing that role from her would kind of deflate the character, or require an overhaul for her that they didn’t feel they had the time to do. So it’s not hard to see LFL looking around and saying Rose/Finn is the Official Couple to save on time and energy.

Voidgazer and Glitterstimm like this.
  15. Rodie

Apr 16, 2014
    True on Captain Marvel, although she's only had one film as the star so far. Rey is on #3.

IDK romance and flirtatious banter has often been a part of Star Wars' space fantasy vibe...and it's rampant in ANH, ESB and AOTC...so to have none of that except one bumbling question about a boyfriend in TFA and an awkward kiss in TLJ, has felt a little off.

If 99% of male heroes get a love interest as part of their character development, why should a female hero be denied that aspect of themselves?

If not Poe, then maybe Rose and Rey?

I kind of like the idea of seeing hints that Poe and Connix have a thing going. Especially if they are separated during the final battle, that ratchets up tension.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  16. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    The problem with incorporating Rose into TROS is that she’s been a problematic concept from the start. Rian Johnson specifically wanted her to be a frumpy, unflattering dork, the kind of kid who gets picked on and doesn’t look like they belong in a Star Wars movie. It seems that he wanted her to trigger the unfair, misogynistic criticisms that she received if not the outright harassment. And this is not just my personal interpretation, he has been open about this. He never evolved her beyond this role in TLJ, and so it’s up to Abrams now to do that for him or she’ll be set up for failure, because Abrams' movies are usually not kind to those types of characters.

I’m guessing her role will be limited and vastly different from TLJ. She won’t have any scenes curled up in a corner by herself or biting fingers. She won’t have passive aggressive humor and won’t be paired with “dumby” men to highlight her intelligence. She’ll be able to assert herself on her own terms. At least I hope so.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    Emperor Ferus likes this.
  17. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Either Rose's role in the movie is a spoiler or she doesn't have a substantive role in it, which would be very disappointing for me.

18. N7Jedi

N7Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2016
    Yeah I don't see her being significant to the plot at all, she'll be there in the beginning to see the heroes off on their adventure and won't show up again until the finale.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Glitterstimm likes this.
  19. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    I guess that explains it.
    [​IMG]

20. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Hopefully we get a nice sweet moment like this between them before he has to head on adventure and she’s stuck with Leia by the maps and talking to them on intercom.

[​IMG]

Would also be nice if they had some cute moments on the intercom now and then where appropriate.

21. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

ForceGhostPrincessLeia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 22, 2018
    Would be cuter if she grew as a character beyond her one day infatuation with Finn and dropped the jealous rival routine (honestly, who thought it was okay to write her like that?!?) and let Finn work through his feelings for Rey without interference.

alwayslurking likes this.
  22. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    In other words, it sounds like you just prefer on ship to another and want one one-day infatuation over another one-day infatuation.

Rose’s frustration over Finn prioritizing a single person above total commitment to the Resistance is part of her arc of Finn rubbing off on her and she to him.

Rose ignores a direct order from the Resistance to go chase someone she cares for who’s at risk. She becomes a version of what Finn was to Rey in TFA by putting herself in harm’s way to stop someone who’d transferred his First Order canon fodder “just a number” mentality toward the Resistance movement. She becomes a version of what she thought was selfish before but now realizes is not. Being guided by love is something she comes to understand has power and purpose.

Finn rubs off on her and changes her worldview and Rose’s unwavering commitment to the Resistance prior and meeting someone like DJ whose indifference to choosing a side angered him and woke him up to the importance of commitment to others beyond Rey in the form of the Resistance and what it stood for, changed his worldview. Only he’s not just a number any more. He’s a potential leader and the Resistance will need him and the same mind — that TLJ showed capable of working out a cunning plan with Rose that nearly worked and would have been ideal — for more than cannon fodder runs that have little chance of success.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    Demon4x4, Darth Buzz and cerealbox like this.
  23. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

ForceGhostPrincessLeia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 22, 2018
    Finn isn't infatuated with Rey. He cares about her welfare and is interested in her as a person. Rose's primary motivation seems to be jealousy instead of their shared experiences. She "saved" him for selfish reasons, not for him. Tbf, she's characterized a bit too much like a creepy stalker character by the end of the film imo. The movie doesn't set up Rose having any interest in Finn until Crait, it just shoehorns it in for reasons, and the book just makes it worse imo by trying to fix that with the jealousy. The entire debacle is horrible for Rose as a character, and does a huge disservice to her by trying to make her role revolve around Finn.

While I personally think Rey shouldn't be in a romantic relationship in RoS, her very real friendship with and mutual care for Finn has been much more firmly developed. Finn didn't ram her ship and force himself on her in the middle of a battle, he went to SKB to rescue her and confronted Kylo to defend her. His every motivation in TLJ was driven by a desire to keep Rey safe. Since tptb decided to go the jealous route with Rose, a relationship with her would likely involve Finn choosing her over his friendship with Rey, which should not happen. Unless you're suggesting JJ ignore the characterization of Rose and make her a better person, which I'd be okay with, but people freak out about the "retcon" word...

24. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Actually finn does have a infatuation with Rey. It shows in TFA when he risked all of the Resistance to to get to her.

While that’s noble, we as the viewer know that’s on called for, as Rey already saved herself and can handle herself. Emotionally for Rey is was good though.

Then when Finn wakes up only Rey is his thought. It she’s away safe on AhCh-TO. Finn was only going to stay with the Resistance to wait for Rey. Until the FO tracks them and attacks and Finn’s only thought is to move the tracker so Rey won’t return (which is the opposite of what the Resistance needs)

So Finn at this point is basing his whole life’s purpose around Rey which is not healthy. Just like in Ralph Breaks the Internet. While Ralph risks everything in the first film to save Vanellope. Now he’s basing his whole life’s meaning as being Vannellope’s friend. That’s not healthy. Which is why the whole point of Ralph’s story arc in Ralph Breaks the Internet, is to realize this and let it go.

Finn has a similar deal in TLJ. Putting Rey before all others. Which Rey wouldn’t want anyway.

Darth Buzz and Ender_and_Bean like this.
  25. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    In TFA JJ makes this clear when Finn lies and risks the entire Resistance for Rey:

Finn: I can disable the shields, but I have to be there. On the planet.

Han: We'll get you there.

(Later)

Han: Sanitation? Then how do you know how to disable the shields?

Finn: I don't. I'm just here to get Rey.

Han : People are counting on us! The galaxy is counting on us!!!

RJ runs with that same concept at the start of VIII since it’s only hours later.

Rose’s inner monologue of jealously comes through more in the book than the film but the point remains the same by the end. She understands more why Finn did what he did for one person by the end and finds more balance between her previous devotion only to the movement and her own personal feelings for another. Increased balance between her militancy and her strict prioritization of the group above all else and also personal cares.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.