main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Kelly Marie Tran (Rose Tico) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BalanceOfTheForce, Dec 18, 2017.

?

Does Rose survive

Poll closed Dec 2, 2019.
  1. Rose survives the film

64.7%
  2. Rose dies early on

16.9%
  3. Rose dies late in the film

3.7%
  4. Rose saves the day

14.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Yeah, but in this case, it was somewhat justified. I mean, Finn did try to get out of dodge while everyone else was in trouble. So you might say he deserved a little ribbing. Actions have consequences. And a joke or two at his expense is not exactly a devastating punishment.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  2. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I guess I don't think that Finn was in the wrong to try to leave, so I tend to think of Rose's comment as reinforcing everything I disliked about the Resistance as portrayed in TLJ.

3. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    The fact that he didn’t tell anybody, stole Poe’s stuff, snuck down to the escape pod area, and tried to sneak pass a crying Rose, should have told you that he was in the wrong.

Not to mention, he tried lying about it once she caught him.

Between the time when he woke up and when the FO track them, Finn was happy to stay with Resistance. Internally, because he knew Rey would eventual return to them, and this was his only chance to meet her again.

Externally, for all appearances to Leia and Poe and the Resistance, it would would seem Finn has joined them. (Especially since Finn’s not gonna tell them the only reason he’s staying, is to wait on Rey. That would just be embarrassing for him)

There was cut scene with Poe giving Finn the re-sewn jacket and Poe thanking him for staying with the Resistance. With Finn saying he doesn’t want to give Poe the wrong impression that he’s joining the Resistance. Which pisses Poe off, more than Rose was.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    vncredleader and Bor Mullet like this.
  4. The Deuteragonist

The Deuteragonist Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Ughhhhh, and I will NEVER forgive Rian Johnson for deleting that scene (same with Luke’s third lesson). They’re both such key moments that define where these characters are headed and what they’re motivations are.

*sighs* I really want a director’s cut of TLJ. I don’t care if I’m the only one.

Demon4x4 and vncredleader like this.
  5. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    The stuff Finn did was stuff people excuse in heroes all the time. If it is wrong for Finn to leave the Resistance, it is wrong for him and Rose to escape jail on Canto Bight too and wrong of him to escape the First Order. The First Order also thinks they were entitled to Finn’s service he never signed up for and Canto Bight thinks it is fair to put him in prison for parking in the wrong spot. So either it is always wrong to sneak around or we allow for mitigating circumstances. I do the latter. If Rose hates sneaking so much she should never have joined Poe’s secret plan or escaped her jail cell on Canto Bight. Turns out she is the same as Finn, sneaking around when she thinks she has to do so.

PendragonM likes this.
  6. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Those are different situations though, escaping Canto Bight was in order to save the Resistance, fleeing the Raddus and stealing a pod and gear during a crisis was a (and I mean this in the broadest sense not as a normative judgment) selfish decision based around wanting to see Rey since she has been his emotional anchor. I sympathize, I relate, but I do not agree with Finn's choice. Sneaking is not so much the problem, not being heroic was. Its an understandable flaw, but its not the same as escaping from jail in order to save the galaxy. Sneaking past Rose to avoid having to put a further face onto the suffering Resistance that he is abandoning, is different than avoiding paying a parking ticket. Rose's beef isn't with sneaking, its with sneaking away from important responsibilities Cantonica's police are not as important as one's duty to the Resistance

Disclaimer: I do not advocate not paying for one's parking tickets

The Deuteragonist and cerealbox like this.
  7. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Finn’s motive is not selfish. It is to save Rey from coming back to this crisis and probably getting killed. It’s actually a shame he didn’t get to Rey. He might have been able to stage an intervention before Rey ships herself to Kylo in what might have been the most hair-brained scheme of the entire film and that’s saying something.

If Finn is wrong about wanting to save Rey, then Rose is wrong to save Finn at the end of the movie. Finn has to be right and Rose wrong one time here.

So which is it? Is she wrong at the end and right at the beginning? Was that her character journey? Or is the lesson that it’s okay to be “selfish” about saving people if your name is Rose Tico but wrong if you are Finn Who Still Has No Last Name? Because I think that message is wrong if it is the last one and another case of the favoritism Rian gave Rose over Finn.

PendragonM likes this.
  8. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    It’s about balance between the extremes. Like much of Star Wars.

Finn met two competing ideologies in the forms of DJ & Rose and Libertarianism & Collectivism. He made his choice toward Collectivism at the end. Modeled in part by the kind of early all or nothing commitments he felt Poe & Rose had to the cause. These are two people who’d seen him about to leave. He could have left them to die but he’s back and committed to the cause now. The problem of course is that those two weren’t perfect either and needed to also find a a balance and have grown over their journeys. Everyone in TLJ grows. Their experiences and conflicts and time spent versus personalities different than them help them find better balance between who they were and the potential they might have if they achieve greater balance.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  9. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    I think one of my core issues with Rose and Finn's dynamic is that I feel that I have to supply the nuance myself and I have to read against the narrative of the movie itself to enjoy their dynamic at all. I see the clash between Finn and Rose as the clash between individualism (between advocating for the individual's right to choose and to have independent, critical thought) and collectivism (in which the individual doesn't matter except in so far as the individual can serve the collective, a mindset in which blind obedience and duty are to be lauded above any questioning thought or independent action).

Finn has a limited but fairly well-developed for someone who just escaped the ultimate collective of the First Order sense of individualism at the beginning of the movie, a mindset where his life and that of Rey's actually matter and are worth saving. As a result of his time spent with Rose, he seems to me to have developed a capacity to see the value of more individuals than just him and Rey, which is why he tries to sacrifice himself for others at the end of the film, but I think he would probably identify with the value of individuals there and not with a blind allegiance to the collective. What Finn can and arguably does learn from Rose is that more people than just Rey and him matter in the galaxy. That's a good and worthwhile lesson.

As to Rose, at the beginning of Last Jedi, she values blind obedience and duty to a collective that doesn't allow for independent thought or questioning (look at how Holdo throws borderline sexist terms like "flyboy" at Poe to emphasize how unimportant he and his questions or ideas are since his only value is in blind, lockstep obedience to her and the Resistance) and enforces its authority with tazing and literally slapping people down when they get out of line. Rose is part of that collective and collectivist mindset, tazing Finn because she was ordered to guard the escape pods without thinking about any of the implications of his identity although she is portrayed as knowing his identity and backstory to enough degree that she should think that an exception might indeed be warranted for him. In the end, she learns what Finn knew from the beginning: that individual lives actually matter and we should care about those more than blind obedience to the collective. Even the lecture she gives Finn at the end about saving what we love is what Finn has been doing the entire movie, so this is a lesson she must have learned from him, though the movie treats it as something that she knew along and Finn needs to be taught since apparently Finn is never allowed to be right and Rose wrong. Finn is the "dummy" who needs to be taught everything. That's why Rose doesn't say to him, "You're right that sometimes we win by saving what we love." Since that would involve her needing to acknowledge that Finn could be right about anything and that she grew as a result of her time spent with him.

Honestly, as I think about TLJ in this light, I believe it's possible to argue that Rose grows more than Finn but the problem is the narrative of the script tries to pretend it was the other way around so I have to read against the script to interpret it in a way that has meaning and resonance for me. I will say that at least Rian makes me think about ideas during his movies, and that again, Rose was a well-conceived character in terms of her backstory and having believable motivations. There is quite a bit I like about Rose and her journey. Maybe my biggest with her is Rian's portrayal of that journey and its relation to Finn's.

PendragonM and christophero30 like this.
  10. The Deuteragonist

Jun 25, 2018
    I’ve talked about this so many times on this forum and the dissonance always stems from one thing: does Finn owe the Resistance anything?

In my opinion, not really. He isn’t officially a part of the Resistance. He is just an ally. Even if they nursed him back to health after helping them, ultimately he should have just been able to leave when he was done.

The problem I have is that by leaving the Resistance behind, he’s also leaving Poe behind. That’s what doesn’t work for me. I’m just of the opinion that he should have told Poe that he wanted to leave instead of sneaking behind his back because I’m pretty sure Poe would understand. Or if the deleted scene is any indication, they probably would have, at worst, had a falling out but Poe would have ultimately let Finn go (similar to what happened between him and Rey at Maz’s castle). They are friends after all. There’s a reason why Rose didn’t rat him out. If Finn’s escape had been successful, Poe definitely would have been hurt.

Also, Rey wouldn’t have taken kindly to Finn interrupting her mission and finding out that he ran away from the fight. It would have kind of been similar to what happened at Maz’s Castle.

So yeah, Finn’s escape wasn’t a terrible thing. I don’t think he was wrong in saying that this wasn’t his fight. It’s just the way he went about it. He just could have easily told Poe that he was out, especially when he was going through a crisis.

Is it weird that I don’t agree or disagree with this? Rose saving Finn is a little selfish in a way but at the same time (and this is the age old debate) Finn’s run would never have worked. Rose checked the speeders and looked at them before the Resistance flew them. As a mechanic and a pretty intelligent person, I think she was qualified to stop Finn.

The way she did it, however, was not smart at all. And yeah, the “saving what we love” line (which is one I actually really like) doesn’t really work in the context of Finn or Rose’s story.

devilinthedetails likes this.
  11. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    The issue is that Finn was perfectly happy to stay with the Resistance because he knew Rey would return there eventually. And Finn gave indication he’d stay with the Resistance.

Once again, Finn’s using the Resistance to get close to Rey, just like in TFA (only in TFA it was to rescue her, in TLJ it’s just to be there when she gets back).

Every time Finn’s uses the Resistance like this, to the Resistance members’ POV, it seems like Finn is joining them.

When in actually he’s just using them to get to Rey. The Resistance aren’t mind readers. And can’t know that about Finn.

So as soon as it hits the fan when the FO attacks, Finn tries to escape. Because he figures he doesn’t want Rey to come back to trouble. Finn’s not even thinking of the current Resistance in crisis. He’s thinking about Rey who’s safe halfway across the galaxy. How are the Resistance members suppose to know Finn’s only there to be with Rey?

12. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

ForceGhostPrincessLeia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 22, 2018
    Finn went to Han when he saw Kylo take Rey. Han wasn't part of the resistance. Finn went to SKB with Han and Chewie. Again, Han wasn't part of the resistance, nor was Chewie at that point. Then Finn got sliced.
    I honestly don't see any point where it can be assumed he made a commitment to the resistance.

13. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I completely agree that Rose seems to grow more than Finn, but the dialogue wants us to believe that Finn is the one who grows, and learns the same lesson he learned in TFA. TLJ purposely regresses certain characters for the sake of the story arc, so they can grow and fit into the "failure is the greatest teacher" narrative.

14. The Deuteragonist

Jun 25, 2018
    That’s fair. Still one instance I found interesting was in TLJ when he’s developing battle-strategies with them, essentially saying “Until Rey gets back what’s our next move.”

But again, I get what people are saying. Rey and his own survival is his motivation, which is fair.

It is a character regression and that’s kind of the point. This is why I happen to think Finn’s character development is the strongest in TLJ because it’s consistent with who he is as a person, whereas Poe and Rey’s flaws in TLJ arguably are not.

I think it’s completely believable that Finn backslides a little bit because people and characters often do that, especially when they face their worst fears. In Finn’s case it’s dying or losing someone he loves to FO, which leads him to making a decision that you would think he would be passes by now. It just works for me and it makes Finn more complex honestly.

15. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @The Deuteragonist I find a lot of common ground with what you say in your latest two posts. I agree with you that Finn doesn't owe the Resistance anything for the reasons you outlined so well, but you do have a valid point about Finn leaving Poe behind. Poe definitely seems to be someone Finn thinks of as a friend and who thinks of Finn as a friend. They also have the shared experience of escaping the First Order together. So there is some amount of personal loyalty and obligation there. At the least, he should have spoken with Poe about his decision to leave (though as you note he does in the TLJ novelization). Without the TLJ novelization, though, I just assumed that he didn't want to tell Poe he was leaving because he couldn't bear to disappoint Poe. That isn't an ideal or admirable character trait to not want to broach awkward issues but I see it in plenty of otherwise good people in real life, those less than perfect communication skills, and Finn wasn't raised in an environment where he would have been taught anything approaching normal communication skills. It would be more of a shock and unbelievable to me if Finn did display perfect, gold standard communication issues after growing up in the First Order. I think Finn's friends are going to have to be patient with him and teach him some of the healthy social development he didn't get being raised by the First Order. So, basically, I agree that Finn's communication skills weren't ideal, but I understand and empathize with why they weren't in this situation.

I do think that Rose was right to save Finn and that Finn's plan wouldn't have worked (though that should probably have been better portrayed, since I understand how people come away with the opposite impression) since that was just the way I viewed the movie from the first time I saw it in theaters. I do agree with the sentiment of Rose's line, and I think tweaked just a little bit it could have done a nice job showing how Rose learned from Finn just like he learned from her. Their relationship if I look at it that way is great but I do feel that I have to go against what the narrative is trying to say a bit, which is sort of frustrating.

The "our" line of dialogue is interesting. I think it can indicate to some people that Finn had joined the Resistance but as you say it could also just refer to a temporary alliance type thing. It's not really explicit either way, and open to some ambiguity in interpretation as you point out.

I do also agree with you that Finn's flaws in TLJ feel more consistent with his character and his story from TFA than either those of Poe or Rey. After TFA, for example, I never would have predicted any sort of Rey/Kylo arc (I felt that Rey/Kylo was a fringe theory at best after TFA and I just didn't see it at all happening) and even in TLJ I never could buy that Poe was supposedly this big sexist who needed to be put in his place since I could see his respect for Poe, his friendship with Connix which seems rooted in mutual respect, and his willingness to work with Rose. Poe's issues with Holdo didn't to me seem rooted in her gender at all but in the fact that she refused to communicate with him at all when he had valid (in my opinion) questions and used borderline sexist terms like "flyboy" with him. So the idea of Poe as the sexist who needed to be put in his place never worked for me even looking at TLJ in isolation. So, yeah, I definitely think Finn had a better arc than either Poe or Rey in terms of prior characterization and consistency with TFA.

@ForceGhostPrincessLeia also makes valid points I agree with.

16. The Deuteragonist

Jun 25, 2018
    @devilinthedetails Ironically, Rose and Finn’s arc is the main reason I keep rewatching TLJ. The discourse surrounding the film kind of makes it less enjoyable to watch these days but I find a lot to enjoy in Finn and Rose’s adventure because it’s the most reminiscent of a Star Wars adventure.

Still, and this is a little off topic, but Finn and Poe’s lack of interaction in TLJ is probably the only thing I’m truly disappointed in when it comes to TLJ. Poe probably would have been a better and more developed foil than Rose. I mean I’m #TeamRoseTico all day everyday but I think she should have been the hacker and all three should have been on the adventure together somehow. I also think Poe being the one to stop Finn from making the run would have made a bit more sense than Rose being the one to do it.

Back to the topic at hand, I’m actually afraid that Rose is going to be shafted. There’s been next to nothing to come out about her in the leaks and she is not going to be with Finn, Rey, or Poe.

17. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Yeah. She’s not in any of the leaked toys, even though third tier characters like Snap and Connix are.

Only thing we know for sure is that she talks to Rey at one point.

18. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    I agree that seeing more of the Finn and Poe dynamic in TLJ was nice, since the dynamic between Finn and Poe was one of my favorite parts of both TLJ and TFA. It would have been nice to have Poe working with Rose and Finn on the mission, and give a bit of that trio feeling in Rey's absence.

I do hope that Rose doesn't get neglected in TROS. She was a major enough character in TLJ that I think I'd notice her absence in TROS so it'd diminish the Sequel Trilogy's sense of coherence for me, and I really want to see TROS bring the Sequel Trilogy together in a way that can be consistent with itself and the saga as a whole.

19. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  20. Jedi_Prophet77

Jedi_Prophet77 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2017
    She says something in one of these interviews about 'redemption' and then acts quickly to cover herself. I hope she didn't blow an important secret such as, for example, where Kylo Ren might be concerned.

21. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011

"I think that there are so many themes in Star Wars films, my favorite being redemption and this idea of like no matter what comes you can…well I can’t give you…I’m not going to tell you what happens but the idea of redemption."

- Kelly Marie Tran

22. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
  23. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    so sounds like she’s involved in some of the action scenes

hopefully the next trailer has more Rose in it.

24. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    If she stays behind with Leia, that suggests the Resistance 'base' comes under attack.

25. MY Millennium Falcon

MY Millennium Falcon Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2019
    Hmmm, we still didn’t see much of Rose in the second teaser... So it’s one of two scenarios then - either she dies early or like what @MagnarTheGreat said, Rose stays behind with Leia to man the Resistance base under some relentless First Order attack...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.