main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Kelly Marie Tran (Rose Tico) in TLJ

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk , Feb 15, 2016.

1. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    It was a mistake to delay the Cannon firing until Rinn got to Rey, they exchanged words, and kissed.

The Cannon should have been fired so quickly taht Rose literally pushed him out of the way of the beam. That doesn't entirely fix every problem I have with the scene, but it'd does solve a big, bulky part of it by making Rose's rescue more clearly practical and intelligent. The delay in the firing in the real film just exacerbates everything by making the audience wonder if Finn ramming the cannon could have stopped it, and framing the kiss with the doors explosion just makes it look like she's kissing him as the everyone is doomed.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    wobbits, afrojedi and Jedi_Fenrir767 like this.
  2. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    But that's the classic time to kiss in movies - when everything else is falling apart. Han and Leia in the chamber, Anakin and Padme before the battle...

cane_danko likes this.
  3. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I thought they were just chilling out in that precise moment.

EDIT. Oh, you meant right before Han gets carbonized! I take it back. I thought you were referring to the first kiss.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    Blobofat likes this.
  4. Jedi_Fenrir767

Jedi_Fenrir767 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 16, 2013
    The difference between the two situations is that it was before the battle for Anakin and Padme, Han and Leia were captured and in no danger of being killed. Finn and Rose were out in the middle of a battlefield and literally any first order gunner could have ended them if they just looked. The scene may have been trying to go for something classic and iconic but it failed because of the lack of chemistry between the two, The timing and the fact that they really shouldn’t have made it back to base after the kiss as they are the only ones out here with a whole army that would be trying to kill them. The scene was poorly thought out and written especially in context of everyone else sacrificing themselves.

5. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    Oh yeah, the whole scene is nuts. I even made a gif a while back:

https://giphy.com/gifs/Dr2Qfg2JRl3btEs9Ma

It's just that the kiss strikes me as being the least weird thing about it.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  6. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    Some argue that RJ made it look awkward on purpose, but given some of the other missteps, i'm not too certain that awkwardness was his intent.

2Cleva, Jedi_Fenrir767 and 3sm1r like this.
  7. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    It shows metaphorically what you are able to do if you are in love with someone. :rolleyes:

DarthFixxxer and 2Cleva like this.
  8. Jedi_Fenrir767

Jedi_Fenrir767 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 16, 2013
    The kiss is the least weird thing about it. It’s a weird kiss but everything else is far stranger

Darth Smurf likes this.
  9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I've been watching Kelly Marie Tran's new show "Sorry for Your Loss" on Facebook Live (no, really its a TV show on Facebook) and she plays the sister of the main character played by Elizabeth Olsen, and both are pretty consistently great in it.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    cane_danko likes this.
  10. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    The kiss, as awkward as it was, would have been fine if delivered back inside the base, or after they were picked up by the Falcon or something. It's just that having it happen while a) we just saw Finn come close to carrying out their mission objective (within a few dozen feet of ramming the cannon) and are now seeing it successfully blast open the door, making Rose's decision seem selfish, and b) the aforementioned gunners who would have every reason in the world to pot-shot Finn and Rose as stationary target...

...Unless the gunners were thinking "Nah!" I can see how awkward that kiss is! That'll be soooo much more awkward than death!"

11. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Agreed. It’s a poorly-staged sequence. Perhaps my least favorite of the film.

Vialco and godisawesome like this.
  12. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    I actually thought Rose was all right. I much preferred her to Rey who appeared inconsistent and not very relatable, nor fitting with the ethos of the Jedi. Rose and her sister Paige were decent additions. The problem I feel was the overall direction of the story and how all the characters fit into it. Place all the same characters and cast into a more gripping story that continues from ROTJ, and they would shine.

I felt more emotion for Paige and her sacrifice (I wish she had survived), and Rose who has just lost her sister, and is apparently treated with disdain by certain elements of their leadership, than Rey. I liked her being shown to be a fighter. As for the romance, it needed perhaps to be a little bit better paced regarding the ongoing battle, versus just before, or just after as in previous trilogies.

I think far too much following, less hate of Rey goes on, versus Rose, when the latter has more development and is more natural.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    DarthFixxxer and Sudooku like this.
  13. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    ^^^ Good points.

Unrelated to the character of Rose in general...

That moment with Rose saving Finn is one of the most nonsensical things I've seen in SW.

I really don't understand the intention. With Finn's kamikaze effort being stopped by Rose because it would probably be a wasted sacrifice, that I get.
    But the base door exploding behind them as they kiss is just bizarre. It seems played up for romance, but they've basically just doomed the Rebellion. It's a head-scratcher.

Okay, maybe it wouldn't make a difference in the long run, they would just be buying time, and Luke is about to cause a distraction anyway.
    But there is clearly something that is supposed to be implied by the timing, and it seems really dumb. Like a parody almost. One of many "subversions". Sigh

14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    the kiss is meant to be heartfelt juxtaposed with the heartbreak of the door being blown up.

Also it's very reminiscent of the kiss in True Lies between Harry and his wife when the nuke goes off in the background.

15. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Like a lone candle in the darkness? I guess that makes sense...

I don't know, it just feels a little too surreal. It takes me out of the film a little. The juxtaposition feels out of place to me.
    It kind of seems like Rose likes him a lot more than he likes her as well, if I'm thinking cynically.
    Also; Rose tazed him when he was going to desert to find Rey earlier in the film, now she is sabotaging the Resistance's chances for a personal connection.

I haven't seen that film in years, can't remember it very well. But that sounds kind of a funny comparison.

16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    yah it's basically this with the big white flash and everything, pretty great, shot is even composed kind of the same way too

[​IMG]

HevyDevy likes this.
  17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Harry's wife wanted a life of excitement and danger. She got it. She gets a kiss with a nuclear explosion in the background, after hanging from a helicopter with only one of Arnold's admittedly strong hands holding on to her.

It's the themes that set them far apart.

Maybe because of the glaring contradiction of talking about saving what you love while it looks like you just sealed its doom.

wobbits and HevyDevy like this.
  18. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    If I recall correctly, wasn't the point that the nuclear weapon was diverted, and they were successful? And they were an actual couple with an arc that built to their coming back together in that moment?

Rose kissed Finn as an explosion that would kill all of their people, which Finn was trying to prevent, went off. True Lies had an explosion in the background that didn't doom the main characters' friends.

11-4D and CT-867-5309 like this.
  19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah thematically they're very different contexts to each moment, Harry kissing his wife with the nuke is basically the climax of their arc in that movie before the 3rd act explosions while Rose and Finn's kiss is bittersweet, a moment of joy in a moment of sadness (as she says "not by fighting what we hate, but saving what we love"), but visually the two kiss/explosions are composed in a very similar way.

cane_danko likes this.
  20. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    It’s an incredibly awkward and unearned scene. It just doesn’t work.

21. cane_danko

cane_danko Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 2, 2018
    I actually like her. She is a bit cheesy but i don’t mind it and there are moments where she shines in the last jedi i think that are overlooked because some people can’t get over the type of character she is. I understand if the cheesy writing that was given to her is maybe too cringe for you but i just want to point out this is intentional and not bad writing. She is a wholesome character who i think jj abrams will flesh out more in the next movie. That being said she already did have a pretty big character arc in the last jedi and while she will likely be shipped with finn i think she can stand up on her own as a character. Another thing i don’t like is how people want to compare her with jar jar. Jar jar binks was a slapstick character who was there to provide silly banter for the movie (mainly the kids because these ARE family movies). Rose is nothing like that. She is actually a dedicated resistance fighter with a lot of practical sense and skill (mechanical and some piloting abilities). This is the first real non-hero type of character we have gotten to know in the main star wars movies. She also provides context to the outer political situation of the first order and the galaxy which the lack of was a big complaint people had with force awakens. Again i get it if the cheesyness was a turn off for you but saying she is a bad character for that is inaccurate. It just means you don’t like her character. Some people don’t find finn funny and that is all just personal taste. I don’t want a giant wall of text with this post so if you want me to elaborate on any of my points i can in a reply. Or if you want to discuss why you do not like her character i am interested in hearing. And i am sorry if i am super defensive when people call her a bad character but that type of dismissiveness in story telling is annoying to me lol

cerealbox likes this.
  22. cane_danko

cane_danko Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 2, 2018
    I think it does work. You see this all the time in action movies because it is very realistic to what would happen in real life. People want to assume it is romantic but it is not. It is a male and female attraction after spending a day or more in life threatening sitations that develop a bond that is sexual in nature. Maybe the delivery of the line she had threw you off but the kiss i feel is fine.

23. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    That's rather like Rogue One IMHO.

11-4D likes this.
  24. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Lol except they are safe from the explosion in True Lies.
    Not really a semi-tragic moment like Rogue One.

25. deathfromabove

deathfromabove Jedi Master star 2

Feb 18, 2007
    Except that Jyn and Cassian are not married,have any kind of romantic relationship and ARE NOT KISSING!