main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Kennedy possibly out in September?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by AndrewPascoe, Jun 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    https://mailchi.mp/85afc9a51c36/lasssedammerung?e=a414e30abe

So someone on the leaks reddit linked to this post regarding Kennedy possibly stepping down sometime in September. Apparently this guy has broken news like this before but at this stage sounds like speculation.

What are everyone’s thoughts?

I personally would like her to stay on for a while longer and see out the projects she’s given the green light too. I don’t want too much shake up at LFL either.

Also I apologies the site is terrible to read on a phone.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  2. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Too late, the damage is already done.

3. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Richard Rushfield is a veteran entertainment writer who frequently breaks stories on his website weeks before they happen. If he’s saying this then it’s probably true.

4. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    Is it though? 3 out of 4 movies have been top grossing films of their respective years each grossing over a billion dollars. Solo has fallen well below the mark but the money made by the other three is truly an outstanding achievement. SOLO also had a troubled production for a film that was had to recast a legacy character that was released to mixed reviews?

5. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    I didn't mean financial damage...

6. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    I was reading until he mentioned that no one thought Han was actually dead in TFA because no body was found. And it wasn't until TLJ we found out he was dead.

That is literally the stupidest thing I've read all year. I can't take this guy seriously now.

7. Serpico Jones

Nov 3, 2012
    That was an email from a reader.

8. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    That’s my point though - under her 3/4 movies have grossed over a billion dollars. That’s a ridiculously high standard so I don’t see why they would drop her/have her leave. She has been good business for Disney.

The other part of the question is if she does step down who would replace? Kiri Heart? *shudders* Filoni? Someone from outside?

Oh hell. Complete curve ball. Lucas.

9. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Wow, I just lost ten minutes of my life reading that. He's lost. I think he belongs in the Solo box office thread.

MaciekRS likes this.
  10. Serpico Jones

Nov 3, 2012
    My guess would be JJ Abrams himself. Also, you forgot to point out that 3 out of the 4 movies she supervised needed massive reshoots with new directors which drove up costs.

11. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    Yet TFA, R1 and TLJ also posted record breaking profits. Not just gross but profit.

I think JJ is a decent Director and I know he runs a production company but I don’t think he’d be suited to running LFL or even want too.

The troll in me would laugh if Rian stepped in. Oh lord.

Blastaar likes this.
  12. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I find it hard to believe that Kennedy would step down before the release of Episode IX.

13. Darth Nobunaga

Darth Nobunaga Jedi Master star 2

Jun 1, 2018
    For all my gripes about the Sequel Trilogy, I don't think Kathleen Kennedy's going anywhere. Remember that her running of Lucasfilm was an established parameter of Lucas' sale of the franchise to Disney: he handpicked her because she was an old friend, and someone he trusted to protect the franchise in his stead. Whether or not I or anyone else believes that she's succeeded in this, that is what George Lucas believe she'd be able to do...and there hasn't been any public proof of him losing faith in her ability to do so. It's quite possible that if she were removed, he'd fight to keep her there with whatever limited power he has.

And even if they were to replace Kennedy, they'd do it with someone who's business-savvy or production savvy...not someone who's proven themselves artistically.

EDIT: Shouldn't this topic be in the Lucasfilm Discussion? This is about management, after all.

14. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    They'd have to arrange it in advance of leaving for a smooth transition for whoever takes over. It wouldn't be you're 'fired' or 'resigned' and then you're gone tomorrow. Whenever it happens, soon or after Episode IX.

15. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    If this topic needs to be moved mods please do I just posted it thinking it best here.

I also think she’d wait out at least IX. If they replaced KK with someone internal I couldn’t see much changing with the already announced projects given most seem on board with the current direction.

16. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Could've been funny in SOLO if somehow Ford's TFA Solo body was seen amongst the debris during the Kessel Run , like coming out've the Maw or blackhole or something there, and the Falcon flies into it and Alden's Solo stares at the dead body for a split sec.[face_skull]

The hiring and firing of directors is a major problem for her, and the production problems that hit Rogue One and especially with Solo could cost her. Probably whoever placed Solo in May and left it there will be fired or moved somewhere else,lol.

Jedi_Fenrir767 and kalzeth like this.
  17. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    She gave no comment to the Wall Street Journal Solo story and has been entirely silent since the premiere of Solo AFAIK and recently she stepped down by not seeking re-election from the Academy's Board of Governors.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/r...ard-governors-election-finalists-list-1116189 (May 31, 2018)

https://www.wsj.com/articles/solo-newest-star-wars-installment-off-to-a-slow-start-1527534820

18. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    If KK does step aside, who would take her place?

Outsourced likes this.
  19. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I predict... this is BS.

20. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    That's kind of the big question. She is quite possibly the most over-qualified person they could have in this position. There really isn't anyone else.

21. Serpico Jones

Nov 3, 2012
    JJ Abrams is my guess.

22. Serpico Jones

Nov 3, 2012
    Rushfield doesn’t report BS.

23. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
  24. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I'm sure a lot of people on Twitter and Reddit are sending in their resumes as we speak. I'm just glad xXFortniteRulesXx is stepping up to save this series.

25. Serpico Jones

Nov 3, 2012
    You think a guy that wrote for Vanity Fair, the NY Times and Variety is a clown that goes around making things up? Come on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.