main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kenobi : Ewan McGregor in potential Kenobi movie OR series

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by StarWarsFan91, Jun 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    The trick will be to deliver something that doesn’t just rip-off that well worn western trope of “man-with-no-name-saves-frontier-town-from-bandits”

eko32eko7 likes this.
  2. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    The Kenobi novel had that Frank Capra-like “one man can make a difference” idealism that I hope is present in his standalone.

The western Shane was like that and was an inspiration for Logan though Logan deconstructed that more. With Kenobi you could keep it idealistic and keep him alive so that he feels more like the noble under appreciated hero that nobody realizes is a hero who doesn’t care that nobody realizes he’s a hero roles that Jimmy Stewart or Gregory Peck or Henry Fonda all had in the 1950s and 1960s.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    Valairy Scot likes this.
  3. ImpreciseStormtrooper

ImpreciseStormtrooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    I'm onboard!

Not sure we'll get as good a meme to screenshot ratio out of Kenneth, though.

4. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Only way for this movie to sound interesting is if he fights a rogue evil Jedi like a warlord Hett like 5 years into his exile or something closer to ROTS. The aging Kenobi of the Marvel Kenobi Journals, From a Certain Point of View and from ANH is not a dynamic & exciting character, but grounded more in reality of his current situation, physicality level and age(plus wear and tear of the Clone War).

5. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    But Obi-Wan was not 80 years old in ANH. I know that at the time to young people he looked really old but AG was 62 when he did ANH and actually looks younger than that not older. His appearance in ROTJ does look closer to 80 since he had some ill health there but the age of 57 for Obi-Wan in ANH is actually closer to reality of the actor.

5 years either way is nothing and EM was about 32 (during principle photography) while Obi-Wan was 37 in ROTS. Now he's in his late 40's so a middle time between ROTS and ANH is right on. Actually he could easily play Obi-Wan right after ROTS as seen a few months ago:

https://nerdist.com/ewan-mcgregor-star-wars-obi-wan-beard/

5 years is easy enough and with movie magic of make-up and lighting 10 is easy enough for him. Actually HC could still pass himself off as a Anakin in his 20's (OK more late 20's than early but still...)

So really it all does fit already. Even MH actually looked Luke's 53 in TLJ as the Force projection even though he's over 10 years older than Luke.

G-FETT likes this.
  6. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    As someone who doesn't like the ageism in Hollywood blockbusters (whereby older people simply can't be protagonists anymore), I want to see a film about Obi-wan late into his years, and not flipping around like a pinball. And yes, a good filmmaker can make that interesting and exciting.

Valairy Scot, Encuentro and eko32eko7 like this.
  7. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Certainly not and something so momentous would be the kind of thing covered in a movie. That said it'd probably have the fewest planets since ANH which has only two actual planets.

eko32eko7 and DARTH_BELO like this.
  8. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Agreed. Just give him a Jedi baby monitor, and let him roam.

eko32eko7 likes this.
  9. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Old Ben movie the short short version:
    Note: *NSFW language* -Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon and Encuentro like this.
  10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I want something a little more contemplative than your average action film. Open the film with Obi-Wan just aimlessly wondering through the desert and hallucinating about Anakin. The man has lost everything at the hands of his best friend. I want him shellshocked. I want his faith in the Force completely destroyed. I want his faith in himself to be utterly nonexistent. Basically I want him to be a miserable *******. But slowly he comes through it to realize he does have hope left. Luke.

11. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Since the opening of ANH on Tatooine is my favorite SW in the saga, I love the idea of an Obi movie that’s very intimate on Tatooine. Seeing that crazy old wizard secretly watching over Luke and having some conflict, perhaps where someone discovers him or something, maybe even an inquisitor (seriously, I’m not that pumped for a Maul v. Obi movie) is appealing to me. New SW needs force stuff stat. If they insist on making all the anthologies derive from the OT, then I feel Obi is our best chance to see good force use. I’m weird in that Obi isn’t even on my top ten list of SW characters, but I like him well enough. That said, the main appeal for me besides force use is Tatooine. If an Obi movie is about him leaving Tatooine on some adventure, I would immediately be less interested and borderline bored at the prospect.

Edit - my other big hope for an Obi movie is QGJ. Even if they just get Obi talking to his voice without a force ghost, I would be in heaven.

Django Fett and Bor Mullet like this.
  12. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yeah. The best modern analog for what I want from an Obi-wan film is Logan.

13. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Hopefully after IX when we learn Rey is his granddaughter we will meet her grandmother and Obi-Wan and experience their romance within a larger drama and conflict on Tatooine. Obi-Wan tells her he’s a Jedi who has something important he needs to do here and that he can’t leave with her. Neither knows she’s pregnant. She gives birth to Rey’s mom or dad and we learn the tragic tale of how Rey ended up on Jakku after Rey’s mom or dad crashed or were shot down and boarded by junkers who found and kept Rey.

14. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    So you want TLJ again...? [face_thinking]

15. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    Yeah I don’t want super depressed Obi (although I think sad is certainly appropriate), but I like the idea of fish-out-of-water Obi. Dude’s life before that wasn’t that of a hermit in a cave. Watching Obi learn the ropes on Tatooine has tons of appeal to me.

11-4D, cwustudent and Bor Mullet like this.
  16. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Can't say I care for the highlighted because he already has that. Everything was destroyed in ROTS and he remained a Jedi. I don't see a good character reason for him to then fall apart in that way after he is on Tatooine looking over Luke and communicating with Qui-Gon. That's too much like Luke in TLJ which I would say didn't work because it didn't line up with the Luke we knew.

He can question things surely but not his faith in the Force but in what he should do.

I doubt we see that in a movie either. That might be a thread in some scenes but not a major focus. More him not reacting as a Jedi though he sorely would like to.

17. eko32eko7

eko32eko7 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 10, 2018
    I expect this will not be a popular opinion, but...

I would like to have a little payoff on Vader's lines

"You should not have come back" (ANH)
    - come back? This line never really gave me the sense that Vader was talking about the Empire or the Death Star. So.. come back to where, or what?

"Obi Wan once thought as you do" (ROTJ)
    - When did Obi Wan think like this and, if they didn't interact, how would Vader know? I'm pretty sure Vader's not talking about Mustafar. If anyone thought as Luke did after order 66, it was Padme... at least as far we know.

I like the idea of (something like) five years after Order 66 a guilt-ridden Obi Wan, catching wind of the Jedi purge and feeling he has no choice but try to stop or redeem his former best friend, briefly leaves leaves Tatooine. He finds Vader, everything goes wrong and he has to lop off more (mechanical) limbs, perhaps saving another hiding Jedi in the process...

I dont think they would ever do this, and I'm not counting on it, but I think a young Vader as the antagonist would be compelling. I like the idea of a young Darth Vader that isn't the fully formed character we encounter in RO and ANH.

For me, Maul is off the table. That story has already been told and it was done so well, I hope they leave it alone.

My Palpatine Eyes and AhsokaSolo like this.
  18. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    Yeah but that’s why I said I want an intimate movie. I’m not saying the plot would be that, but character set up? Why not? It can be a real character-based kind of thing that’s about Obi learning to be content in this new life, and he gets there by battling/entrapping an inquisitor that’s been hunting him down. But in the set up, like Rey’s intro on Jakku and Luke’s in ANH, I so want to see Obi doing mundane Tatooine things like bartering with sand people or going to Mos Eisley to smuggle a message out to Bail or something. I freaking love that planet :p

Edit ~ @eko32eko7 - I don’t know why that thought never occurred to me, but I like it very much. That is the only idea for Obi off Tatooine that I’ve heard that I like.

eko32eko7 likes this.
  19. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    With wriggle room, I do think there is room for one more confrontation between Vader and Obi-Wan. Still, they would have to tread very carefully. I don't think it happen, though. I do think we will see Obi-Wan learning that Darth Vader is still alive for the first time. That could be quite powerful.

20. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Come back into the fight.

He might very well since on reflection he knows that Padme didn't bring Obi-Wan there to destroy him. Conversely he's really talking about Padme but transferring it to Obi-Wan because he doesn't want to talk about her with Luke.

I think that's all done in ROTS. So it'd be more destroying him once and for all.

They wouldn't be telling that story though. It be another one in addition to that story.

That is possible.

Depends on if it's Maul or Vader or both or neither in the movie.

21. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Great point. And I agree.

Maul isn’t off the table though for me. The animated shows are too small in comparison to the reach and cultural relevance of the live action films to be above a big screen adaptation of the same good concept.

At a certain point they need to start using the EU and novels and comics and animated shows as idea incubators with the intention being that the best ideas make their way to the big screen. That’s basically what Marvel did. They adapted existing ideas to the screen.

Ahsoka Tano, IMO, for example will have an anthology film (at a minimum) some day. She’s basically been market tested and passed. Same for Thrawn. He’ll play a huge role on a screen some day too. They don’t have enough iconic characters who have been market tested like that beyond the OT/PT. Despite what people sometimes say about Marvel going deep into the vault a lot of the characters they’ve brought to the screen did, at a minimum, have cult followings and when you have that and can envision bringing it to life more and promoting it more then it can happen. I’m sure it’s the same reason Maul came back. He was just too popular visually to leave alone for long.

Generational Fan likes this.
  22. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Absolutely! I want that. Yes! Give me that!

23. eko32eko7

eko32eko7 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 10, 2018
    I can accept that. I just have hope there could be more there.

This seems a bit too convenient for my taste, but... Obi Wan doesn't ever recall "owning" a driod... so whatevs.

Oh man, I didn't get nearly enough young Vader in ROTS. I felt like the prequels just woke up and then credits were rolling.

I think Filoni told that story in a very thoughtful and emotionally satisfying way. I really hope Maul can rest now. I love the character and if they wanted to do more with Darth Maul set prior to TPM I would support that, for sure.

24. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    This upcoming Solo movie is a bit of a surprise in that many of us had imagined it would be a simple adventure and origin story,but it looks like it is filled with Universe expanding twists and relevations.
    It's stuffed with stuff.

So... a straightforward enough tale of Obi Wan helping some moisture farmers being attacked by Tusken Raiders... it's not going to be that simple.

We will come out of the theatre with new twists on the nature of the Jedi, and Tatooine, and Obi Wan's past and god knows what else.

It'll be bigger than it looks.
    A TARDIS of a movie.

25. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    You could set Kenobi anywhere from 3 to 15 years after ROTS ,

I would prefer around the middle of the 19 year gap between ROTS & ANH..........

Baron_Papanerd and Bor Mullet like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.