main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kenobi : Ewan McGregor in potential Kenobi movie OR series

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by StarWarsFan91, Jun 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Well he can but this would be before that. Same goes for Obi-Wan or Anakin.

I think they certainly have plans for the movies or why bother? This new set-up is years before Rebels and he still has to get stranded on Malachor. So whatever the plans it'd be all part of the mosaic. Obi-Wan seems to be happening so it also seems the most likely as he's not unlikely to be in these other movies that are the ones going to be unconnected to Lucas' timeframe.

Agreed. If it has a triple threat match of Obi-Wan, Vader and Maul on Mustafar would anyone really be shocked?

Appalled maybe but shocked?

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    GregMcP likes this.
  2. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    And it’s coming fresh off of IX with heavy involvement from a romantic writer so I still think Reynobi fans, including Breznican who theorized this exactly, may get the surprise at the end of IX they were hoping for with the romance of Rey’s grandmother (obviously younger) featured in the Kenobi standalone.

The report says it’s an infant Luke. That sets this 18-17 BBY at most. Or roughly 33 years prior to Rey’s birth. Assume a montage of adjustment goes by and a couple years and then the main story where they spend most of the running time after that (except for the end of film montage related to Rey’s journey to Jakku that Obi-Wan never knows).

If Kenobi meets, falls in love with and impregnates Rey’s grandmother at around 15 BBY in that time period (Kenobi would be 42 years old) and the woman could be as young as 35 without that seeming weird for most people. If Rey’s father or mother were born 9 months later than that without Kenobi knowing (let’s say 14 BBY now then that person could have had Rey at age 29.

GregMcP likes this.
  3. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    My old theory that Ben and Obi Wan are brothers.
    It's why they don't look the same and there is an age jump.
    And why Ben has trouble remembering things... he's just been told stories by his brother who has long ago run off to more interesting adventures.

And then Ben pretends to be is Coruscant nightlife loving brother, and gets in way over his head and quickly killed by Vader.

4. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Yep, me too. And I imagine we would likely get some Clone Wars flashbacks as well. I could also see some narration from Obi-Wan, used for the flashbacks. I don't mind the movie taking place entirely on Tatooine, since this movie would need to be a more intimate type of Star Wars movie; but flashbacks would be a good way to allow for a taste of big action moments, that Star Wars is known for.

CaraJinn and Krueger like this.
  5. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Maybe Obi-Wan will try to reach Anakin one last time, but come away fully convinced that Anakin is dead, and that Darth Vader “murdered” him and is all that’s left. It might be the justification behind the “lies” he tells Luke in ANH.

eko32eko7 and My Palpatine Eyes like this.
  6. w4tkn

w4tkn Jedi Master star 1

Jan 25, 2013
    This is fake, its the synopsis of the Kenobi book from a few years ago, which was a good read but not deep enough.

cwustudent and GregMcP like this.
  7. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    :)
    You are probably right. It's likely just someone reading the back cover to a gulable reporter.
    TMZ might turn out to be accidentally right with it.

It is one of those things where the rumour is a very obvious bit of speculation that anyone on this forum could have dreamed up.

8. My Palpatine Eyes

My Palpatine Eyes Jedi Knight

Apr 9, 2018
    I like the idea of Darth Vader coming back because that would mean, well, more Darth Vader! In my perfect world the prequels would have featured Anakin Skywalker turning in the second episode. To me, ROTS could have been the second film, with the first film being AOTC with flashbacks to TPM Anakin. Basically, I wanted an entire film featuring Vader in costume. Seeing Vader in Kenobi would be so exciting! Seeing some more Palpatine (a far fetched idea I realize) would make me absolutely giddy.

I see some people have talked here about Branagh as Obi Wan. I respectfully disagree because I think Ewan is absolutely perfect for the role. He has proven himself.

9. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Regardless I love the thought of Ewan coming back as Obi-Wan.

10. Phasmatic

Phasmatic Jedi Knight

Sep 10, 2015
    I've been wanting this film for a long time. My one real request of this film is at least one amazing scene of Obi and Anakin during the Clone Wars. Something we haven't seen. It could a quiet moment before a battle or the battle itself. Hayden returning for a crucial emotional element for Ewan's Obi-Wan would be amazing. Honestly I would love it if Obi-Wan actually recalled a bit of wisdom from Anakin that comes into play in the plot, which makes losing Anakin all the more heartbreaking. Then learning he survived and became a cybernetic monster would be a powerful moment.

GunganSlayer likes this.
  11. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    Yeah, I'm all for them finding ways to expand the scope of the SW galaxy in these anthology movies. One thing I'd hope that they touch upon here, which was obviously tackled in TCW, but not yet examined in any significant sense in the movies, is the Force ghost issue. Which would be the perfect excuse to bring Liam back, too.

12. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    Liam and Samuel L.
    That's a pretty good threesome around a desert campfire. Good dialogue would come from that.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  13. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Speaking of Luke, haven't we just been through the whole "broken man of solitude" with him in The Last Jedi?

Avnar likes this.
  14. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    That would be glorious, heaven on earth....

You can look it as character for character and it's basically there...
    Logan = Obi-Wan....Laura/X23 = Luke....Xavier/Prof X = Qui-Gon....Xander Rice = Grand Inquisitor....The Reavers = Inquisitors....Weapon X24 = Maul

But I think the basics of the story and the intricacies of the character are far more important, who Logan was and has now become might not be the same for Obi-Wan but the latter has an equally great weight on him. Their lives are not what they once were and the end is nearer now than the beginning.

Bor Mullet and seattlemusicnerd like this.
  15. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Prediction! We'll learn that Obi-Wan had a kid and that kid had a kid and his granddaughter's name is...Sally.

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  16. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I wouldn't mind seeing an Obi-Wan film that focuses just on him in his early, settling-in days on Tattooine. Perhaps even just a stretch of time onscreen-like a drawn out montage-without him even speaking more than a few lines, Castaway style. Just getting used to dealing with creatures in the desert, learning about the sandpeople, him monitoring the goings on in the galaxy and the spread of the empire/fallout of Order 66, etc. visiting the cities, learning how to get water/food, etc. Then, later on in the film, something happens which takes the plot moving in a more dramatic way. I would love that! If this synopsis is to be believed at all, though, it doesn't sound like that'll be a reality.

I fully agree Obi-Wan could've left Tattooine at some point for this or that reason. 19 years is a long time-especially for a Jedi-to be on just one same planet the whole time. Perhaps he went to visit with Yoda, or went on some mission to seek out other Jedi in hiding, to bring them together...? There are a lot of possibilities. ... I would love to see Obi-Wan having interactions with a young (maybe age 5-8 or so) Luke Skywalker, and Owen trying to keep them separate, saying things like "that crazy old man is just trouble, stay away from him," or something similar. Could be really interesting to see that dynamic between him and Luke, and/or him and Owen-their words would mean so much more when we see how they talk about each other in ANH.

17. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    That's what's interesting about it for me. I'd like to see the contrast between how they both dealt with such betrayal. While in similar situations the outcomes would be vastly different too. Luke realizes he needs to return to the fight while Kenobi would have to accept that although he can no longer fight he still has a very important mission.

18. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Well he seems to be very familiar with the denizens of Mos Eisley spaceport and the cantina in particular.

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  19. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I think the solution is simple, if you want Obi-wan to leave the planet occasionally. Com-link, or some other device. He's got one tied to a little device on Lars' homestead, and he can keep dibs on Luke from afar.

20. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't think he would even need that. He has the Force. He could sense Luke in peril before it even happens.

Avnar likes this.
  21. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    For me, taking Obi-Wan off Tatooine lessens the severity of his exile. I think it’s more interesting if he has to try to find ways to be a Jedi on what’s seemingly the most unimportant planet in the galaxy, constantly fighting the urge to run off and fight the Empire full on.

22. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    In those terms Yoda is watching over Luke from Dagobah so if Obi-Wan's senses aren't as attuned as Yoda's when off-planet then he would get a head's up from Yoda.

I don't think Obi-Wan is overlooking Luke in that way. He's certainly not hovering over him every second. That'd never work but as in ANH he can sense when something out of the ordinary is happening. It's never said but he just happens to show up in time to save Luke from the sandpeople so it's not much to say that with recent events he felt a disturbance in the Force from the Battle of Crait, Vader over Tattooine plus more practically the heavy Imperial presence was a tell that something was going on.

23. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Sally "Rey" Kenobi [face_mischief]

24. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    The possibilities for a more detailed exploration of both Tusken and Jawa culture are appealing to me. That side of Tatooine is one of the most iconic Star Wars worlds and this could be the avenue to delve deeper into it.

25. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    This. 19 years is a long time. There's nothing to say he didn't go elsewhere for just a matter of weeks/months at one point (or a few). Seems perfectly plausible to me...

sizziano and Bor Mullet like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.