main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Keri Russell (Zorri Bliss) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ewoksimon, Jul 6, 2018.

1. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Lazy journalists.

2. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    Actually...what if she plays an alien? We could use more prominent alien characters. I haven't seen Solo but that robot lady thing had me thinkin'.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    christophero30 likes this.
  3. ComfortablyNunb

ComfortablyNunb Jedi Master star 3

Nov 21, 2015
    I see what you mean, but the report specifically says "action-heavy fight scenes." Not physical scenes but fight scenes.....plural. We obviously don't know who she's going to play and the report could also be wrong, but based on this article, it seems unlikely she's playing a Piett or Holdo type.

4. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    @ComfortablyNunb

True, true. You never know. Of course, behind the scenes stuff for TLJ showed Rose leaping out of cover carrying a blaster rifle. I don't mean to be pessimistic or anything, I'm looking forward to her character. I just don't want to get myself too excited. I'm trying to keep my expectations realistic. You won't see me saying that she's some awesome bounty hunter or former Jedi. I'm sticking with either some sort of Maz pirate contact or cool rebel person.

Or part of Poe's squadron. Or that Alien girl who's part of Poe's squadron. Or an alien because we dont have any prominent alien people yet. Or Ahsoka. Though Rosario Dawson wanted to play her. Or Maz's daughter who's an alien. Someone like Neytiri from Avatar. Or like Jaylah from Star Trek: Beyond.

KoR would be nice but it's weird to see a specific casting for that. Of course if she was like...Kylo's second in command...a better version of Phasma...that would be fantastic. Or his wife...though I'd gladly fill that position. And boy would that be a twist.

wow there I go...

(dammit J lower your expectations)

(curb your Knight of Ren!)

5. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    Can't wait until they reveal her character's name and it's "Mara Jade"

I would laugh for weeks

6. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Can’t wait to start debating The Russell Maneuver!

7. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    Cant wait to see her character named just MJ, and be revealed as literally My Joke in the movie.

8. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Rey after a 20 year time jump?

They could show a fully established Jedi Academy.

9. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    Well they do need to cast all the Knights of Ren.

christophero30 and themoth like this.
  10. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    You want to be Kylo's wife?

christophero30 likes this.
  11. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    This is my hope.

12. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    A known actress headlining the KOR's cast who can contrast directly with Rey would be very nice. And if we're creating new characters for the actress, I'd rather she be one of the KOR, for the simple reason that I think the KOR should be given characterizations that could facilitate having them, as some of Luke's students and Kylo's former peers, maybe turn back to the Lightside to redeem his school a bit. Russel's maturity strikes me as something you could give a KOR who's more complicated than a simple stooge; either she could be someone even more in denial than Kylo about their deeds, or she could be the reluctant pragmatist who maybe tries to see if Kylo, sans Snoke's influence, could maybe use wisdom.

Now... Why don't I go ahead and get all my almost certainly pointless "Mara Jade" comments over with here, and not bring them up again? Everybody good with that?
    There's plenty of ways that Rey's mom could be used in IX that would be effective and engaging without burning too much screen time up, and in ways that would join with the main plot. Perhaps Rey's mom is just a severe First Order officer who identifies Rey as the child she hid from her own people, and she reluctantly aids Rey at a key moment? Maybe she leads a faction of Allies who forms a bond with Rey only to discover at the end that her lost daughter is the woman she joined with? I mean, honestly you could take any of the totally new characters Abrams and co. are likely to create, and simply find a way to build a bond with Rey that gets rewarded at the end through some kind of Force vision.

And, to be frank, I still kind of feel that if there was a Mama Skywalker/Solo/Kenobi in this film, the simplicity of that concept alone would lend itself to immediate payout with the audience. "Wait! Luke got it on? Holy crud! And Rey's their kid? Cool!" Or, for my friend @Ender_and_Bean , "Huh, so Obi-Wan got it on... And produced an actress I recognize! I can't wait for her to show up on Jon Favreau's TV show!" Or, for some of the darker imaginations out there, "So Rey's a Palpatine? Interesting... Aaaand she clearly got all her looks from Palpatine's daughter. Which is good!"

I mean, any "related" is going to have a payoff as long as the audience knows who the Related person is; I'd still argue that Mama Skywalker would be the best, since we have the proven blueprint of Mara Jade for a successful character in that archetype. I don't think Russell's playing Mara because I was burned on TLJ... But if she was... Then okay, I'd like her for the role in flashbacks with a younger Luke, have her keep their daughter a secret, and drop off her girl on Jakku while going to investigate the Unknown Regions, before getting marrooned after an encounter with the First Order.

But of course...
    The previous track record probably shows we've got a fun but small role for a talented actress here. Probably nothing earth shattering.

13. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    His not-being-manipulated-or-abused-because-we're-both-equally-evil-and-terrible-people-wife. Leave me alone I can have fun sometimes :kylosaber:
    #JxKylo

EDIT: (be nice if her character was evil and replaced Hux perhaps after a failed assassination/mutiny attempt)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    RiddleMeThis likes this.
  14. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    If she really is Mara Jade I'd actually be hyped for IX. Right now there's nothing really there to excite me.

15. ComfortablyNunb

Nov 21, 2015
    I definitely agree that it's unwise to get too carried away with fan theories. Although, for better or worse, I think Episode 9 will be very fan-friendly as a result of TLJ being so divisive. Despite Solo's poor box office, the vast majority of fans who bought a ticket seemed to like it and appreciate its fan-friendly nature.

16. ComfortablyNunb

Nov 21, 2015
    This whole Mara Jade speculation seems to be related to this casting rumor back in late April about a major character code-named "Mara." Keri Russell is indeed an actress in her 40s, which lends some credence to it. While it's true that Solo showed that Lucasfilm was willing to pull some things from past EU material (e.g. Teras Kasi), the fact that the casting code name is "Mara" ironically rules out Mara Jade in my opinion.

However, knowing JJ, it may signal the TYPE of character they're looking for. Just as Kylo/Ben bears obvious similarities to Jacen Solo, I suspect Keri Russell's character will bear similarites to Mara Jade, especially with that nugget about "fight scenes" being part of her role.

17. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    Kerri could very well be revealed to have been Luke's first student Jedi Knight post-ROTJ. Luke may have believed she was deceased after the Kylo uprising, since Luke "cut himself off from the Force". (Actually, that flippant plot device used for Luke opens up the board narrative-wise.) Rey really needs some type of mentorship to have a credible character progression. That's not a knock on Rey. She needs a living ally. All heroes need a mentor. Rey can't singlehandedly keep defeating the KoR / Kylo / and all other menaces. That makes for a boring story. I think Kerri as a "lost" Jedi reentering the fold could be interesting.

Also, if the above is not to be, I REALLY like the idea of her playing Ahsoka.

Bossk_Baby likes this.
  18. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    It begins!

19. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Her casting makes me curious. I like her a lot (thanks to the Americans); she can play almost anything and kick some serious butt. Now if they can fit Matthew Rhys in here too. :p

20. The Last Cookiemonster

The Last Cookiemonster Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2017
    Can't believe everybody forgot Ian's Emperor Palpatine in their replies, who spun off a whole prequel trilogy. :p

(Technically a glimpse of the Emperor was seen in Empire, but I think Return was where he first really counts).

21. Tyrian

Tyrian Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 5, 2000
    Clearly shes going to play Emperor Palpatines grand-daughter.

22. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Don't underestimate the power of fan theories

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  23. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    And don't underestimate the power of ST writers to destroy the fan theories in the most hilarious ways.

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  24. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I don't. I just said I'm looking forward to them. I didn't say I was looking forward to believing them.

25. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Maybe if they just, I don't know, told us who the character was we wouldn't have to endlessly speculate.