main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Kevin Feige to Produce New Standalone Star Wars Film

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by RokurGepta, Sep 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
  2. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    Oh..great..there goes Star Wars characterisation out the window for the superhero "formula" approach.

'A person discovers they have, or a person is given superpowers and starts displaying these powers. The introduction of the bad person coincides with the death of family or a mentor and the bad guy beats them in the first battle. Having been licked, the superhero goes away to "rediscover" themselves and then makes a triumphant return to defeat the bad guy and restore everything back to the happy status quo'

Yawn....boring characterisation set to a repeatable formula. Different superhero, different superpowers, different baddies, same boring formula. The thing I enjoy most about Marvel films are the action scenes. Apart from that, they are popcorn movies to be seen once and not bothered with again because they dont inspire me, nor do they make me go away and think about things.

At least Rian Johnson has the courage to take characters in unexpected and interesting directions. What does Marvel give us thats different, 'beer-gutted' Thor. And as funny as it was to see the Ocker Beer-Swigging Australian Bogan Male on an International big screen (and yes, I realise that it was probably a p**s take by Hemsworth), its hardly great characterisation for a Superhero of Thor's status. Unfortunately its normal to see something like this in the Australian bogan tourist destination in Bali, but its downright pathetic and lame in a superhero.

Hey, maybe Kevin will give us beer-gutted Chewbacca - who has taken to alcoholism to cope with the death of his friends. He can be shown at a big Wookie celebration belching and farting in the corner and making a general drunk nusance of himself.

Geez, if he is really making a Star Wars film, please only be one. It would be heartbreaking to see the same Marvel formula being applied to a series of Star Wars films where we solely focus on 'the journey' of one hero as they play out the formula - movie after movie after movie after movie........boring.

3. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Star Wars... Characterization? What on Earth is that in the context of the ST?

I'm really stoked. Of course it will depend on what he makes, but I like it in principle. The biggest part of import to me is the change in tone behind the camera. Feige is more like JJ in celebrating the franchise and the fandom. It doesn't feel so bizarrely confrontational with him at the healm.

4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Kevin Feige being announced subverted the expectations of people who preach having expectations subverted is what matters.

Well played, LFL.

5. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    If it was a Doctor Aphra movie........

Expect bigoted takes that more SJW is coming to Star Wars because an Asian female is the lead.

Joonas and Anthony Daniels will be back to play evil (but funny) takes on Chewbacca and Threepio.

A female lead with comedic timing (more than Captain Marcel, Black Widow or even Captain America for that matter).

She’ll be an anti-hero at best and an anti-villain at worse.

6. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    You think it is more likely this new protege of Abrams stays in charge of LFL once KK is gone than Feige taking the keys?

Also, not sure how some of you guys try to fool yourselves. No matter how much you hate the ST. KK is the one responsible for the setting of the next wave of SW movies. Which are not going to be a trilogy but Lord knows how many.

It will be nice to see what is in store for SW during next year's Celebration.

7. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    Happy to see I'm not the only one that's not ecstatic with this news. The MCU is a prime example of paint by numbers film making. Note to Feige: Jokes aren't character development.

8. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Dr. Aphra sounds boring to me as a protagonist unless they change her time period. We have enough content set in the Empire age.

9. TechnoTerror

TechnoTerror Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 26, 2019
    I don't think Rejwan was ever in line, to be the successor to Kennedy. As it stands, the next person was Lywen Brennnan..

Rejwan does not have experience to run a studio. I think her position is a more a "learning" period, as a stepping stone for something outside of the company...

From my understanding, Horn is the one running Lucasfilm right now....

I think outside of Mandalorian, and the Obi-Wan series: I think everything is "up in the air". I'm not even sure if the Cassian stuff is a definite.

I think Disney is waiting for the reception of episode 9, to see how drastic the next move has to be....

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    Darth_Bertie likes this.
  10. Generational Fan

Oct 21, 2015
    Characterisation in the ST? Ah...taking the multiple characters on their personal journeys and maybe not having the character having a predictable end to their journey. Having it so that you can still see many aspects of who they used to be, but they are slightly different now too because they have grown from the events they have experienced during and prior to the ST. That to me is character growth.

On the flip side, you get
    "Hey Superhero, you are better than this - you've just temporarily forgotton. Here, lets refocus your powers and if you use them this way, you will beat the baddie. And just one more thing before you walk away, dont forget to come back to see me in the next film and the one after when you once again have these doubts. We will be able to rectify this again so that you can return to being the same static character as you always are"

Wink..wink.."because thats the Marvel formula. Off you go now because the end of the movie is approaching and we need you to return us to the same happy place as before the baddie came along. Because anything else and you wont be you".

11. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Very true but that is part of the adaptation process he is good at. Taking elements and transforming them into 2 hour movies. If they didn't exist already he wouldn't have anything to work with.

To me what it really comes down to is he hires good directors but when they aren't doing what he wants he tells them so. He has an overall plan and vision. Compared to KK who hires the directors and lets them do what they want. Either it stays that way until after (or almost after) shooting is over. If she doesn't like it then there are changes made afterwards not during the initial pre-production and process. She simply doesn't have a real plan or vision outside of what suits that movie at that time. If she had a real plan (whatever it was) then the problems with Solo never would have happened. It was just outright a poor idea for a movie but it could have been made for a lot less.

I don't disagree but obviously "painting by numbers" only works if you have the numbers in the right order. Sony couldn't do that with their Spider-verse, Disney couldn't do it with Star Wars, Fox had problems with X-Men and FF.

I find those a real problem with some of the movies. Others it's just an annoyance but not central.

That's a problem as well but it's more than Marvel. That is all over the place but is also one of the key's to storytelling. The first problem is that it can be overused and underdone. The second is as you say, the same character having and overcoming it multiple times. JJ spent an entire movie getting Kirk and Spock to where they were going to get to as friends. Fine but then instead of moving forward from there STID just repeated the same journey.

That is the same kind of thing what RJ did with Luke. Instead of Luke being the Jedi Master he should be we instead got the the "introduction" of Snoke lead to the "death" of a family member, Ben. He gets beaten in battle then he goes away to the island where he gives up (for no real reason) then he "rediscovers" himself and makes a "triumphant" return. Everything is adjusted but the shift is that he becomes the mentor he was supposed to be (effectively becoming Obi-Wan) albeit with no actual passing on of knowledge (that Rey doesn't need anyway) and not defeating the bad guy (since he wasn't ever going to anyway).

KSennia and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  12. TechnoTerror

Aug 26, 2019
    Outside of a niche, I'm not even sure she is that popular. Her books took a nosedive, from what I know...

cwustudent and AhsokaSolo like this.
  13. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Just have him update elements of Battle for Endor and Caravan of Courage into a film with an unexpected hero and you have a masterpiece.

BigAl6ft6 and Demon4x4 like this.
  14. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
  15. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    Got to say, I would not rule out once Lucas is gone Lucasfilm is fully integrated under Disney. After all, the toy boxes you find out there have no Lucasfilm logo but Disney's.

2Cleva likes this.
  16. TechnoTerror

Aug 26, 2019
    I don't think so, I'm pretty sure that the purchasing contracts, most likely, have legal stipulations on that...

Lucas didn't sell Star Wars to save Star Wars, he did it to save his company. I'm pretty sure it's legally intertwined. "Brand packaged" as it were...

So, I doubt the Lucasfilm logo is going anywhere. Nor is that a problem for Disney...

Toy deals, are a little bit different though...

17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    This is a dismissive way to describe the one scene of Luke in TLJ that everyone actually agrees on but you're also not wrong about it.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  18. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    At this point, this is my take as well. I think he has an idea for a movie, one centered around a character he has a particular interest in that he'd really like to see brought to the big screen, and this is a way of letting him explore that without a full blown change of job title. He can get that out there without requiring him to walk away from transitioning the MCU into it's next era.

Of note, much if not all of the Marvel's VFX work is shopped out to an assortment of VFX houses and studios, including LucasFilm. It's one area where their movies suffer a bit from the sheer volume of demand they add to that pocket of the industry. So you might want to add VFX Coordinator to the list of positions to reserve judgement over. If it's someone from within LFL or ILM then most of the VFX work will likely be handled in-house.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  19. Generational Fan

Oct 21, 2015
    Potentially not everyone. I dont view Luke as a static character. I see who he is at his core, I see what he used to be, I see what events have shaped him into who he is now and I believe I will see the full circle of a man who is similar to who he used to be, but yet changed and grown from the triumphs and challenges in what he has experienced in his journey.

20. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I'm actually completely OK with this. I think the MCU has gotten better as it’s gone on. The first phase of films, definitely, suffered with the sameness factor. I do think Phase 1 is actually the weakest of the MCU films, TBH. But most of the Marvel Studios films are either good or great, IMO. There have been a couple of duds (Iron-Man 2, Thor 2) and some painfully average ones (Doctor Strange, Ant-Man, Captain Marvel). But yeah, I'm all right with this news. Disney knows now that SW is not the MCU, and shouldn't be treated as such. Iger himself has alluded to that, so I'm not worried that they're going to try and turn the SW galaxy into the MCU (which I know a lot of people are worried about with this news).

An yeah, it just sounds like a one-off affair.

21. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I'm a pretty casual MCU fan, but Feige is top level talent that I admire and respect. I'm very curious to see what he brings to the table.

22. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I agree that some of the more recent marvel films are better than the earlier ones. The last Thor film, the last couple Avengers films, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, and I even liked that Dr Strange film.

If Feige brings something like the recent installments of MCU, I’m all for it.

I’m also generally of the opinion that it’s time to move away from the OT and familiar time eras for Star Wars. I want some new characters in a new time.

23. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    That's never going to happen now because of the misuse of employing the "superhero" formula when it wasn't needed. Luke isn't the primary hero that needed to overcome something. That needed to be given to Rey with Luke aiding her.

It's overuse is all part of the story delaying tactic because the "personal" story is given an ultra focus because too often now the actual plot and story that should be propelling the characters is very thin. Striking a balance between the two where there is a personal story but also something else for them to engage in isn't the easiest thing to do. Now it's tied into them overcoming that and finding power to defeat the bad guy. Which is fine if you are doing it over a trilogy but problematic when you do it every movie (or every movie in one trilogy).

I don't know they can do that or really want to. Who is going to create new characters or times for them unless they go to Lucas himself to do that for them? What differentiates Star Wars and makes it what it is centers around the Force, Jedi vs Sith and with Disney Empire vs Rebels. Even if you cut out the last one then the other two are major factors. There is the Underworld aspects as well but that again was developed already from Lucas and the EU.

2Cleva likes this.
  24. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Maybe it's the Solo sequel. Directed by the Russo Brothers. :han::chewie::lando::boba:

BigAl6ft6 and starfish like this.
  25. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    You seem to have a devotion for Lucas Disney does not. There will be new content, new eras and new mithos. A different debate would be whether or not those will be better than Lucas ideas. But I believe it is evident Lucas will be gone some day and SW will continue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.