main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kids books?!?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediStryker, Sep 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the books, and I am sure I always will. And the person who was laughing at me is a good friend of mine, and he does plenty of things that I can laugh at.

I was simply wondering if there were people around my age still reading the books and posting here. It seems like back when I started posting here there were more people my age. Could have been that I was younger then, or could be that I just never paid enough attention.

Realistically, it doesn't matter. Age is something that in a place like this is moot. I was simply curious. :D

2. Mecca-Don

Mecca-Don Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 28, 2001
    I just turned 35 and I've never had anyone laugh at or even look at me funny when I pick up my Star Wars books and I've been reading these books since I was 10 years old. Guess I've just been lucky but even if someone did laugh or look at me funny I would just ignore them.

3. lejmar_faldor_uk

lejmar_faldor_uk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 20, 2000
    No offence but if you care so much what other people think of your reading habbits then take your kiddie books and burn them (or give them to me I may not have them)

or like the rest of us read what you like and if people don't like it they don't have to!!!

(and if you find that to hard and im sure you don't just say its for your little cousin Timmy, who's dislectic ;) )

4. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    I'm fifteen, and I've never had anyone make fun of me for reading SW books, or any other books, for that matter.

TC

5. Jedi_Aub

Jedi_Aub Jedi Youngling

Sep 28, 2001
    No matter what your age, the Star Wars universe touches you. Anyone who makes fun just isn't as deep as you are. Be proud. I'm 24, people laugh at me, but I could care less. If you enjoy the books, keep reading. I will.

6. mutley

mutley Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 1998
    I'm 33 and I have bought SW books for as long as I can remember, and I will keep buying them till they are no longer made(I hate gaps).

I buy my books at a Sci-Fic bookstore, and they get kids and grandparents in there. So don't be worried--you are not alone :)

7. cydonia

cydonia Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 6, 2001
    I'm 24, and i'm only half way through the series. And no, i'm not a dork. Yet.

8. mutley

mutley Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 1998
    But you soon will be ;)

9. RingoJuna

RingoJuna Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 18, 2001
    I'm 25 and nobody gives me a problem about them. I don't think you should worry about it.

10. Anakin SkySolo

Anakin SkySolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    I'm forty years old. I don't recall getting funny looks even when I buy Jedi Apprentice books, let alone Del Rey novels.

But if I did, that would be their problem. I'd disregard those attitudes, just like I disregard the attitudes of some members of this forum who regard themselves as simply too "mature" to be reading young adult books or comic books.

11. Jades Fire

Jades Fire Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 1998
    I read the first six YJK books just to see what the stories were like. I read all 6 JJK books to see what they were about. I've also read 4 Jedi Apprentice books. At least with those books, I knew was to expect: Shorter stories with simpler sentences and simpler words. What I resent is the false advertising of adult books.

I've seen it said that the JA series is much better than NJO on so many levels. Heck, sooner or later I'll read Harry Potter to see what all the excitement is about.

There is nothing wrong with reading kids books as long as you know that is what you are expecting to read.

12. Vong_Killer

Vong_Killer Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 22, 2001
    I've been readin the EU sence 6th grade. I'm in 11th now. Last year i had a math teacher (round 25 years old) that still reads the EU and collects the figures. There's nothin wrong with that , is there?

13. Mr_Whills

Mr_Whills Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 1, 2001
    I think those who think they are kiddy books obviously haven't read them. Like the films, they are books for everyone. They are a great equalizer. What I like about the books is that they do not treat you like a kid (well, most of them don't). Star Wars is not about people running around with laser guns shooting the bad guys. It's about the human condition told in a very entertaining way, just like mythology.

I'm 28 and I have enjoyed a lot of the EU books (although I think Zahn is overrated) and I will continue to read them as long as I think they are up to standard.

14. Galleon

Galleon Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 26, 2001
    Okay I'm 16 which means I'm still pretty young thou I'll deny it.
    I've been reading Star Wars since I was 12 and will read them as long as they keep making them. Any person who claims that Star Wars are kids books are morons point blank.
    -First almost all Star Wars Books are New York times bestsellers and I strongly doubt that that is because of a bunch of Kids.
    - Next asked the person if he ever read a Star Wars book
    -I Blame Jar Jar for undermining the basic principles of Star Wars as a socially acceptable idea.

15. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    The NJO are defintely NOT for young kids.

I've been reading the EU since the summer after 7th Grade (HTTE was in Paperback). A classmate introduced me to the new star wars books (the zahn trilogy) and I was hooked. When I worked at the library, I got disgusted when a kid was reading the Before the Storm trilogy. There was a hint of adult stuff in there....wasn't there? I never read those books, but if I would have gotten a chance, I would have recommended that kid NOT check those books out.

Hey, I also read Harry Potter! I've only been reading it for a year, though.

I'm 22 going on 23....and think there must be a sterotype about star wars fans. Some of the star wars books are for kids, but most of them are in the ADULT fiction section!

16. JadedofMara

JadedofMara Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    I am 15, and have been reaading Star Wars novels since I was ten. And I will be reading them as long as they are published. If people in my life have problems with that, they will have to deal with them. Who cares what people think about what you are reading? Sure, i read star wars and harry potter, but i also read dickens, dumas, tolkien, shakespeare...if people are stupid enough to judge who by what you read or like, then ignore them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.