main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

King Kong (2005)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Mar 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    [image=http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d76/jedimasterronoc/kong.jpg]

so i know there are alot of people out there that have varying opinions on this movie. i thought it was very good. i loved the work done on Kong. especially the emotions on his face. people say the music wasn't that great. i loved it. especially the theme that played during the T-Rex fight and when he's on the empire state building. it gave that epic feel to it.

2. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    It was good but far too long. It needed to be edited down significantly. It has a four star movie within it`s bulk,and Jackson tries desperatly to make it longer. He addes slow moving dramatic shots for the sake of doing it and there are subplots that aren't really nessecary(Jimmy) On the plus side the special effects are the best ever caught on screen and it has a terrfic cast.WETA will dethrone ILM(Runs for his life)

3. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    The effects were amazing but other then that it was a PJ movie. Close up, another close-up, dramatic pause that goes on a beat to long, something finaly happens.

It was amazing, it was epic, and it was revolutionary. At the same time though it was long and it was boring in parts. Some of it had me shreking in horror some of it had me snoring.

Its just the same feeling I get from any of his recent movies. I don't hate them, don't love them. Its just kind of there.

4. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    It was excellent. I can't wait to see it again in a few weeks on DVD.

5. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I liked most of it, but at times, it just dragged on.

6. war_monger

war_monger Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 26, 2003
    I absolutely love that movie, but I have a couple of complaints:

It was a little long. An understatement? No, not in my opinion. The great majority of the movie held my attention.

Ok, the entire subplot with Jimmy and Mr. Hayes was completely unnecessary. It went nowhere and just ate up screen time.

At the moment I can't think of anything else I didn't like. The effects were amazing, the music was spectacular, and the action... oh, man. Don't even get me started about the T-Rex fight.

[Insert more gushing here-- I don't have time to post any more. Just assume it's there.]

7. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    I really liked this movie save for a few things they altered from the original story. It's a winner either way thought IMHO and I loved how long it was personally. :p

8. weezer

May 16, 2001
    I heard the best quip about the movie's length while I was walking out of the theater.

One guy turned to his friend and said "I could of written the book in that time".

I just don't like long movies. Slightly over 2 hours is one thing anything past 3 is just silly IMO.

9. Siths_Revenge

Jul 27, 2004
    I like longer movies. I feel cheated when I pay 10 bucks for a movie, and it's only like an hour and 20 minutes.

I was so interested in Kong that I didn't think it was long at all.

10. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    maybe you'd like bollywood movies, then :p

anyway, kong was an incredible movie, the heartache! the loss! and as a friend said the other day, his death accomplished nothing, whihc makes it even more tragic. :_|

11. Master_Jedi80

Master_Jedi80 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2005
    I thought King Kong was a great movie. personally i am a fan of long movies, but i believe this was a bit to long.
    Especially when certain subplots seemed to go no where...Still, it was very fun to watch and brought me to place of imagination and adventure. just eye candy and a fun movie experience...
    The special effects were outstanding and very believable. Kong was very Ape like.
    and the fight against the dinosaurs was just fascinating.
    I thought Naomi Watts did a wonderful job as Anne Darrow. She is beautiful yet humble and seemed perfect for the role.

I will be buying this on DVD!!

12. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Aside from the generation of Kong himself, I thought the movie was a disaster. It was textbook indulgent cinema. It should've been an hour shorter. The first act as far too slow and had so much that should've been cut it was unreal, the second act was a mess of poor constructed, repetative, poor CGI'd, dull, tedious crap. The third act was (again) too long and the Kong / Ann relationship was hammered home to such an extent I began to lose interest in that too. There are redundant and unresolved subplots. The 1933 original is superior in every respect save the ape.

Very poor.

13. Jeedai_Veila

Jeedai_Veila Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 15, 2006
    I'm going to be seeing this movie later today. Exactly how long is it?

14. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    Approx. 3 hours. I loved this movie and its seriously bumrushing my top ten all time. You HAVE to see it in the theatre ( unless you have a six foot + screen in your house ). My wife , god bless her, cried from the minute they took Kong off the island to the ending - which is like an hour of the movie. The Central Park scene really, really got to me, and I think that scene, with respect to another thread sugesting the Balrog scene in FotR, is arguably one of the greatest sequences ever filmed.

15. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    about three hours.

16. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    if anything needed to be cut down. it would have to be that first hour. some scenes in new york city weren't necessary and you could've cut some of the scenes on the boat. everything else was fine

17. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I liked it. I agree that the first hour could have been shortened a lot, but I didn't mind it that much. When the movie ended I still felt like I watched a good movie, because the exciting parts morew than compensate for the slowness. Still, I'll only rent the DVD and just watch the last two thirds. Well, maybe minus the huge-insects-part which was just plain disgusting (but then again I have slight ( o_O) insectophobia [face_worried]).

Actually I thought it was one of the best movies I've seen in cinema last year (although I missed a few like Batman Begins...).

18. Siths_Revenge

Jul 27, 2004
    I heard there was going to be a King Kong: EE on DVD this fall. It will be 40 minutes longer than the one now. I hope it fleshes out the characters on the boat.

19. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    God, even longer? The film needs to be cut down, not built up even more.

20. bgii_2000

bgii_2000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2005
    Click

5 posts down. My opinion.

21. ROTS_Obi1

ROTS_Obi1 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 16, 2005
    Actually Weta digital didn't do the work for this film. Sony Image Works did.

22. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Oh yeah o_O

You may want to let Weta know that. Good luck getting the Oscar back though, they're pretty attached to it.

23. Chance the Jedi

Chance the Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 25, 2005
    The dvd comes out in March 28. Dont Belive me? Go to www.kingkong.com

24. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Yes, but that is the theater cut not any type of extended edition. Don't believe me... eh, I could care less.

Still don't understand the point of a Peter Jackson extended edition. Seems like something they would use at Abu Ghraib.

25. JamesBatista

JamesBatista Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 13, 2005
    8/10

The stampede(Why so much hate?), Kong vs. the Dinos and the climatic Empire State Building sequence are all amazing. The performances are generally top-notch. But...

Lots of people firmly believe that George Lucas doesn't pay enough attention to drama or actual emotion. I firmly believe that Peter Jackson pays too much attention. And not just a little bit--he COMPLETELY BINGES on it.

That's the problem with King Kong; he goes too far. I went in expecting an unforgettable spectacle on the scale of the LOTR films, and I instead witnessed a good movie held back from greatness thanks to a director's obsession with indulgence. The same could arguably be said for the LOTR trilogy--except that despite their 9-plus hour length, they didn't have much filler in them. The first hour of King Kong was, well, it wasn't bad by any storytelling means, but they weren't very compelling either. At times, Carl Denham's antics made it feel like some goofy screwball comedy instead of a classic monster epic--not just because of Jack Black, but because of the overall tone.

The second and third hours thankfully make up for it in being thrilling and stirring; however, I still wasn't able to shake off the feeling that Peter Jackson was so focused on making the story come across as deep and emotional that he somewhat lost focus of the story itself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.