main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

King Kong (2005)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Mar 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    I agree with most of this. The Jimmy subplot either needed to be more developed or nonexistent.

2. adoyidej

adoyidej Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 17, 2004
    I never really thought of that, but I guess I agree.

3. DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL

DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    There was just TOO much Girl-On-Monkey action for me

4. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    I just couldn't get into it. None of them even the classic 33. This one I thought was far too long and I just wasn't believing the Kong/Darrow relationship. I thought Andy Serkis was a good Gollum, but when it came to Kong, his performance was far less believable.

5. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    i couldn't see anything wrong w/ his performance as the motion work for Kong. i thought he did a good job and moved very realistically. i remember an article saying he spent several weeks at this Gorilla preserve in africa or somewhere studying gorilla behavior so he could get a feel for how they move and interact with things

6. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    so who's getting the DVD this Tuesday? i plan on getting the 2-disc one

7. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    I might rent it. I'm not that enthused to watch it at all.

8. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    I didn't like Kong. It was boring for the most part, and Jack Black didn't improve that by annoying me.

9. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    As I brought the DVD home today, I started thinking about how much I love this movie.

What's most astonishing about King Kong is that Peter Jackson made the relationship between Ann Darrow and Kong believable. And not only did he make it believable, but he made it beautiful. There are more romantic, sweet and poignant moments in this film than in any "normal" love story I saw in all of 2005.

I watched the original film recently, and as much as I love it, Kong is more of a stalker there than anything else. We do care about Kong, but he's not as sympathetic a character as the Kong in the new version. In the new version, Kong is a truly complex character and there is no doubt in one's mind that he is a pure being. His death scene is one of the most moving scenes I have ever seen. I cried and I couldn't sleep for hours thinking about it. If you watch those airplanes kill Kong and you don't feel even a little bit ashamed of being human, then I don't know what to say.

Does the film have its flaws? Sure. The brachiosaurus effects are unconvincing. The native scenes are perhaps too macabre. The character of Jimmy is set up to be important, but there's no real payoff for him. And the film might be a little too long. But in the end, these are minor nitpicks. King Kong is a tragic, exciting, wonderful epic.

10. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    I think for me what it boils down to is I really never like the concept. Even from the 33 and 76 versions, I just couldn't get into it.

What really turned me off even more was the 3 hr running time. Now I loved LOTR at 3.5 - 4 hours extended, but take what was a 90 minute movie and double it is just not a wise approach. i know they were going for that sense of epic proportions, but I was already bored with the movie around the time they were on the boat to Skull Island.

11. DarthBishop

DarthBishop Jedi Youngling

Dec 8, 2005
    i thought it was about 3 and a half hours too long

12. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    the running time was actually just a little under 3 hours ;)

13. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    It felt about that long though, at times.

14. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    if anything needed to be cut down it was the 1st hour from the beginning in new york to the boat ride. once they arrive at Skull Island everything flows smoothly

15. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    Can't agree with you. The first hour was what gave the movie what claim it had to story or characterization. If you trim that down, it becomes ne of the longest, most expensive CG demo reels ever produced with a fifteen-minute parable for a coda. Actually it should be trimmed throughout, but the Skull Island section needed to be cut most heavily of all. A lot of eye candy in that segment, to be sure, but thte whole middle hour did by far the least to actually contribute to the movie.

-Paul

16. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    the only thing on skull island i can see needing to be cut out is the pit with the spiders and bugs but everything else works out fine for me

17. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I physically can't watch the bug sequence. I somehow lived through it in theaters, but I skipped it on DVD. I think if I see it again, I'm gonna puke and get a heart-attack. It's just disgusting and yeah pretty pointless.

But how can you cut anything else on Skull Island. The movie is about everything that happens there, with Kong and the lady. And the guys trying to get her back, but that's secondary. A few Kong character moments maybe, but the rest...

Kong being Kong is the reason to watch King Kong - who cares about the story in a movie about a giant ape falling in love with a blonde woman? o_O

18. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    my friend freaked out at that scene. she kept her eyes closed the whole time when we saw it theaters. i could care less about it. generally i have a strong stomach

19. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    For me, it's juts the fact that it's insects. Hate them. Wouldn't have a problem with it if they were snakes and bats or something doing the exact same things.

20. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    if my memory is right i remember Kong fighting a giant snake in the original one

21. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    QFT. There were times in this film that I thought, "Well this is just Peter Jackson indulging himself." Should/Could have been an hour and a half shorter, fershizzle.

22. Atticus

Atticus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    Havent seen it yet. My parents loved it, my friend hated it. I dont know what to do. I dont think that the visual effects look that great, alittle bit to cartoony for me.

23. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    only scene that seemed cartoony to me was the stampede scene which didn't look that great to me

24. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Growing up I was really into dinosaurs, GODZILLA, KING KONG, JAWS and other large creatures/monsters (until STAR WARS and not as much as STAR WARS :cool:).

I was really wanting to see this most recent remake of KING KONG and I wasn't disappointed.

It's not my favorite of the three KING KONG movies, but I really enjoyed it. The gorilla special effects were the best of the creature special effects in the movie and the scenery throughout the movie was well done. Quality cast and performances. Most of the action was well done. Some great ideas and realizations.

Some of the characters/storyline could have been trimmed and or maybe dropped (not to shorten the length of the movie).

I really enjoy all three versions of the KING KONG movies. :cool:

25. DARTHFINGERZ

DARTHFINGERZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    It was a little long like most have said...but still I loved it for the most part.

Anyone have any info on what the Extended Edition extra scenes may actually be?

I'm really curious about that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.