main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics The Rise of Kylo Ren 4 issue Comic by Charles Soule

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jid123Sheeve, Jul 19, 2019.

1. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I wanna leave this here with no further comment

[​IMG]

2. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Ew

IG: @jedisufism

Supreme Leader Woke and Jedi Ben like this.
  3. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Honestly looks more like Val Kilmer to me.

4. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    My initial thought was an older Ben Solo TBH.

Darth Corydon likes this.
  5. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    That was a decent issue.

Still wish we never had a repeat of the last Jedi situation. Knowing that all of Luke’s students were killed, most at the same time, really does take some enjoyment out of this series. What a terrible path within the new canon.

A bomb within a saber was unique, I wonder if Ren made this saber or came across it instead.

I expect a duel between Ben and the 3 students in the next issue.

Maybe a student could escape this mini series and get killed off later in the years leading up to TFA or go into hiding, abandoning jedihood.

I really don’t want this series to end with every single student of Luke’s save for Ben dead.

6. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I can see them surviving the next issue, only to die in the final one after he's become Kylo, to line up with Rey's TFA vision.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    lovethedarkside likes this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Luke kicked ass and Ren totally cheated. They definitely come off as punk dark siders. Lil'Ben looked like Adam Driver's head shrunk down to a disproportionate sized body but I can give that a pass. Also it's interesting that even though Ben thinks he's talking to Snoke, he is actually talking to Palpatine which gives the chat scenes a really different vibe. I'm still not sure if Palpatine is speaking for Snoke every second when Ben is physically there with Snoke, that's still something to be defined, but the mind chats are totally Palpy. "I have been every voice inside your head."

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  8. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I was listening to Sam Witwer talk about ROTJ and how you really get to see the conflict within Vader in the final film of the OT, and when you go back and re-watch the OT, specifically ESB, it really helps fill out the character of Vader on a whole another level compared to seeing ESB without the knowledge of the events of ROTJ. It adds a new layer to Vader, cementing him as the beloved villain/hero that we know and love for the past 43 years.

With that in mind, what we now know about TROS, it does give us a new perspective on past events and now knowing Snoke is merely just a puppet, it takes away from mystique and character IMO. I guess you can say that it adds to Palpatine's character a tad, but it's really nothing new or surprising that we didn't know before.

So while it's cool to get more Snoke in comic book form to see Palpatine pulling the strings of Ben and the First Order, I'm definitely most interested in Ben's conflict, who has been set up to be this generation's Vader.

lovethedarkside likes this.
  9. Xammer

Xammer Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2009
    We don't yet know anything about Snoke being a puppet, just that Palpatine made him (in what sense?), that the voices in Ben's head are Palpatine's (in what sense?), and that there are bodies looking like him growing in vats on Exegol. There is still a lot of character development waiting to be filled also in him, not only in Ben.

10. Grievousdude

Jan 27, 2013
    Snoke could do with a proper novel covering his backstory, so that it has time to be developed fully.

11. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Absolutely agreed, we don't really know what puppet means in this context yet. Maybe it is Snoke talking to Ben telepathically after all, and the Emperor only meant that Snoke was saying exactly what he, as his creator, wanted. A sort of agenda, imprinted in him from "birth". Palpatine talking to Ben directly only would work, I think, if he also has the ability to sort of "listen" Snoke´s conversations with Ben too; figures of speech, voice cadence and cognitive context would all be necessary, I imagine, to fool Ben like that.

In any case, Snoke´s life feels quite a little more tragic now than before. He is an experiment in every sense of the word, both powerful enough in the Force to subdue almost anyone, and physically frail to the point of barely being able to stand. Its interesting, because he is this extremely powerful darksider, and the leader of the new version of a galactic ruling Empire, and still one gets the feeling he has some delusions of grandeur. There is potential for a interesting, complex character in him; the aforementioned potential novel would be most welcomed in this regard...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  12. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    They should tie Snoke's black kyber ring to Palpatine.

13. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I wish we got a mini or stand alone comic about Luke’s perspective when he awoke from the ruined hut and the gap of time that leads him to Ach-to.

I want to understand why Luke thought the Jedi away team joined with Ben to leave together, instead of the more reasonable answer, chasing after Ben.

TiniTinyTony and Xammer like this.
  14. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Perhaps Snoke is some captured Jedi that Palpatine tortured repeatedly until he broke, then remade as Snoke? Thus he "created" Snoke.

There are some candidates out there for this, such as Ezra or Cal Kestis.

15. Xammer

Xammer Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2009
    The only thing I regret now after TROS w.r.t. Snoke is that TFA seemed to portray him as sort of a wiser dark sider, less prone to anger and other such trappings (you wouldn't have seen him yell powah! Unlimited powah!), who had watched developments in the galaxy from afar for decades and who had recently decided it was his time to conquer it. I thought the point of the trilogy was how to defeat such a formidable villain.

16. Grievousdude

Jan 27, 2013
    I agree that Snoke definitely seemed wiser in his TFA appearance.

However after TFA, I actually felt the opposite about his power levels. Though I don't think it was actually stated anywhere per say, the implication at first seemed to be that he was even stronger than Sidious, which I felt undermined the main villain of the previous 6 movies a bit.

Obviously they didn't go that way though, and I think that the Snoke death twist will probably remain one of the most debated Sequel topics for years to come.

17. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Was it the implication, or was that the sort of Wizard of Oz effect with the oversized hologram? For a while there we assumed he was an actual giant, not an extra tall guy with a skin condition.

I also read his ricochet Force lightning in TLJ as "oh this guy isn't nearly as skilled as a true Sith." Like he had to bounce it off the floor because he didnt have the range or something.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  18. Grievousdude

Jan 27, 2013
    I'm not sure about how Canon it is now, but the TFA novel at least had him do a much longer monologue to Kylo about being a master of the dark.

19. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Oh, you think darkness is your ally. But you merely adopted the dark; I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but BLINDING!

20. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    The shadows betray you....

[​IMG]

Because they belong to me!

21. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Dear lord he’s fugly.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I wonder why he stopped wearing the hat. It really ties his whole look together.

23. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    It's impolite to wear hats in a place of business.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

24. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Looks like LOTR/Hobbit Orc dressed like an some kinda forest Elf with Robin Hood's woodsman hat. Friar Snoke specializes in pickled delicacies , pickled Snoke.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    A thought I just had, Snoke is obviously running a deception on Ben here *but* it's reminiscent of the Darth Vectivus scam Lumiya ran on Jacen. He appears benevolent, even to his death he dons finery rather than the usual black cloak and cowl.