main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics The Rise of Kylo Ren 4 issue Comic by Charles Soule

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jid123Sheeve, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    The logic there is that Ben is not on the same level as Force Ghost Yoda or say Bendu,lol. Nor does Ben/Kylo ever exhibit any such Force powers anywhere in the movies, even when at his Dark Side peak post TLJ. Its made more silly since young Ben in this comic sequence didn't kill anybody(Luke was still alive), nor is he god-like or unique and certainly no where near Sith level.

That would also mean that any Dark Sider could call down lightning by just point his or hers lightsaber - which is not ever done,lol. Have to be realistic.

Also his later fight post temple destruction, is still him not really wanting to kill anybody and he's confused and still kinda protecting himself from a Jedi padawan revenge ect.

*Even with Rey, she's got Palpatine's blood and powers, cause her father was a clone of Palpatine and the purpose of his clones was to replicate such a Force using body, and one that could sustain his spirit and power and not a dud. Rey also did that subconsciously and not on purpose. But her case is different from Ben's.

There is various discrepancies/anachronisms in this comic series to prior source material, most have to do with the the temple and the Knights of Ren. So, what makes the most sense in the shabby and ambiguous storyline and action sequences is that either an Imperial Disruptive Array was deployed - or somehow the weak Clone of Palpatine combined with Snoke concentrated on both the boy and the temple and created some kinda Force storm. Problem with all of that kinda thing for the latter is much like Sauron_18 said above, its not the same relationship to Dark Empire, and why wait?! I don't think the writers of comic book really knew what they were doing and just doing whatever they wanted and were reckless with sourcematerial.

Same problem with issue 4, when all of a sudden there is blue lightning in that "mindsplinter" chamber and somehow all of a sudden the KOR , Ren and Ben are being twirled around like in a tornado comical with a psychedelic effect and we have no idea what is going or why - and we see both Snoke and Clone Palpatine seemingly watching & manipulating or just mind reading with telepathy to their shared apprentice angsty Ben. Again there, we have the Mindsplinter of Mimban. Which is to there to invoke the Kaibur crystal of "Splinter of a Minds Eye" EU storyline . This artifact which is called Mindsplinter in this comicbooks canon, its purpose is largely unknown but seems to connected to the same mysterious Kaiburr crystal from the EU. Which was essentially a mysterious gem that would give the one who possessed invincibility and deadly powers in the Force by greatly magnifying one's Force abilities.

SO again this comic never explains anything and squanders any real substance and explaniation, and we have the Mindsplinter getting left to the wayside with Kylo and KOR leaving Mimban without the artifact they were hired to retrieve.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  2. Supreme Leader Kylo Ren

Supreme Leader Kylo Ren Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 29, 2019
    It's not Palpatine or Snoke.

Ben created the Force Storm that destroyed the Jedi Temple. Ben conjured a Force Storm that killed Ren.

3. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    No mention of creating a "Force storm" from him either there. He just said he destroyed the temple, which could mean anything which we've already heard in different sources and the movies. Matt Martin's own personal opinion over a weird event in a weird comic, but you know their opinions aren't canon either right?!

As for Rey, in the TROS novel and movie its specifically her lineage, not sure what Matt is talking about aside from trying not to hurt poster's feelings and being diplomatic.

Its an in- or out-of-universe mess:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Destruction_of_Luke_Skywalker's_Jedi_temple

Marvel's comicverse is awkward besides.

4. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    "Destroyed the temple" pretty clearly means he destroyed the temple, as plenty of canon sources state outright. And @Supreme Leader Kylo Ren is pointing out that Ben kills Ren in a Force storm as well, so that's twice that one has been conjured because he's enraged, suggesting a pattern.

And it's only Kylo who says Rey's power is Palpatine's power. Doesn't mean that's the reason she's strong in the Force.

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I still like my "Luke built the temple with ACME dynamite and Ben telekinetically lit the fuse" theory ahahha

6. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    So a partly trained Jedi padawan (but real angry)points a lightsaber and down comes Force Lightning storms, but the majority of the powerful Sith Lords( lets also include fully formed Kylo Ren) that ever lived could not do that ?! Sorry but thats BS. Obviously there something else is going on, well beyond Ben's point of view in the panels .

No the destruction was involuntary, not deliberate. And there was great sorrow and regret and the strong sense of helpless and outside interference in the comic's version of the story.

I posted link to even as it has contradictory meanings and scenarios in canonical works and source books over how he destroyed the temple/how the temple was destroyed - along with Luke's Jedi student fates and even KOR. The temple was supposed to be deliberately destroyed(burned in most sources) by Kylo(some sources state someone else and even KOR aided him), which none of that was in this comic . Nor are the students slaughtered on purpose by Kylo Ren and nor any others joining him and forming KOR. This comic ignores the films . Basically they let Soule and Sliney do play with continuity causing ambiguity and contradiction. .

There is no actual pattern coming from Ben himself here in the story, everything "lightning" related is actually occurring in tandem with Snoke and Palpatine's manipulation of the boy in his moments of pain , confusion and anger and leading him closer to becoming a pseudo Sith apprentice embracing his emotions and passions, ego(Dark Side). In actuality they were just using him and just wanted to wreak him & the Skwyalker line out've revenge and have him commit familicide - the FO/Sith targeted the families of the Rebellion wholesale. This not a solo Ben doing this on his own, not all. Nor can Ben form Nightsister-like Force storms. Nor did Ben kill Ren with one,lol. He stabbed Ren with a lightsaber as they fell in the chamber of that mysterious artifact of Mimban.

If Ben was was able to conjure up "Force Storms" or "Force Lightning" on his own he would've done so in the movies at various points such as Starkiller Base, on Crait against Luke or against abusive Snoke(who fried him) or crippled Palpatine or when he was unarmed fighting the KOR - or anywhere else really . Never happened and for a reason he cannot do it(on his own). Its probably something he would've focused and trained on as he became Kylo Ren, but nada.

The comic clearly shows both Snoke and Palpatine watching and talking to Ben the entire time , and from inside him and around him, on top of that the lightning's destructive power almost killed Ben. Ben was surprised by the red clouds forming already over the temple when he emerged from the ruined hut, and wonders what was going on , then the lightning strikes and it almost killed him too from the blast radius. If fact he himself was almost killed twice, once from the first blast and again as he ran towards a dead or wounded body towards the wreckage, another blast right him front of him. He even blatantly stated he did not want that destruction and death and Snoke an Palpatine were giving him Dark Side dialogue egging him on the path as he laid there is shock and sadness . Its very clear he was scared, panicky and confused, even when Voe and the others confronted him soon after the blast , they were angry , wanted revenge and a fight and he was angry, hurting and protecting himself after his attempts to explain Skywalker's behavior fell on deaf ears.

So more likely had to do with Snoke and Palpatine influence and not just Ben's "anger" at Luke. As its also clear he did not want to kill the Jedi, but was getting forced into cause of the situation and the Sith/Adept's manipulation and corruption had already begun before the hut confrontation. Ben making an evil wish likely involuntary allowed Snoke/Palpatine to grant it through him or some other external means.

Moreover we already know something was going with Luke there on that planet too:

"I saw darkness. I'd sensed it building in him. I'd seen it in moments during his training. But then I looked inside, and it was beyond what I ever imagined. Snoke had already turned his heart. He would bring destruction, and pain, and death, and the end of everything I love because of what he would become. And for the briefest moment of pure instinct, I thought I could stop it. It passed like a fleeting shadow. And I was left with shame... and with consequence. And the last thing I saw were the eyes of a frightened boy whose master had failed him."

"Darkness building in him", a "fleeting shadow passing" and later mysterious red clouds later all the while Palpatine and Snoke(both proficient Force lightning and powerful Force/sorcery users) watching and manipulating these people and things from afar according to this comic. So indeed more likely Sith sorcery involved from messing with Luke and Ben to forming the red clouds soon after the hut confrontation. The comic has both Palpatine and Snoke inside Ben's head from the beginning.

Movieverse always trumps comicverse. Was true for Lucas' era and it remains so today.

And yes, its Palpatine's power in Rey, its why he wanted her for the ritual. She is also his clone's daughter and inherited his power(which was why he had so many clones , he needed one with his power and not a dud body. Its all in the movie and the novel. Rey also shared some of Palpatine's memories cause she's in part , also a clone of him.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    Wilhuff's Slippers likes this.
  7. Supreme Leader Kylo Ren

Nov 29, 2019
    I mean... You can deny it all you want, but there's confirmation in and out of officially licensed material that Ben created both Force Storms. That's really all there is to it.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  8. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

The Force is magic, it can do whatever it wants .

9. Supreme Leader Kylo Ren

Nov 29, 2019
    What do you mean by this?

10. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean I can by Kylo doing a Force storm because it's the Force....Sometimes the Force just does weird stuff.

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    yah I'm down with odd Force thingie that only happened because it's a super important moment in the destiny of the Force and fate of the universe. Those things pop up in Star Wars every once in awhile.

Bia Surik likes this.
  12. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    The Force storm is among the elements in this series that seems too random to be satisfying. There’s problems whether it’s caused by Ben or by the Emperor. If it was Ben, how in the heck did he do it? That’s just a random display of power that seems out of place. If it was the Emperor, why did he wait so long to kill the Jedi?

I can think of a few ways to explain away those issues... but this did not even need to be explained away. It’s been more than half a year, and unfortunately I’m still not totally sold on how this series played out. But I guess this happens when you try to do too much in very little time.

I’m still hoping we’ll get to see Kylo Ren and the Knights of Ren in their glory days in some other work in the future. It could even be a live TV series. Kylo need never take his helmet off, so they could simply recast Adam Driver. But a lengthy comic series would be great too. And I just mean lengthy as in not just four issues.

13. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    After re-watching TROS and reading the novel, this series has some new revelations.

The Knights of Ren were waiting for Luke and Ben on Elphrona. Because Palpatine was the voice in Ben’s head, he knew where they were going to be. As the secret Master of the Knights of Ren, Sidious sent them to await Ben and Luke. He even instructed Ren to reach out to Ben in that confrontation. It’s why Ren leaves the mask for Ben, who comes back to Elphrona years later.

Sidious really did orchestrate so much after Endor. And just like during the Old Republic, the Jedi are blind to his schemes because they don’t know he’s out there.

14. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I had another revelation after reading the entire comic in paper form.

Ren’s Master was Palpatine. He’s the one who taught him how to kill with the Force, how to bleed a kyber crystal, how to target and seduce Ben Solo.

Ren is very much like Executor Sedriss from Legends.

Both served Palpatine. Both used red lightsabers. Both commanded Dark aside thugs with a limited grasp of the Force. The Knights of Ren are essentially the Dark Side Elite.

Sidious didn’t give them lightsabers and additional training, as he didn’t want Luke to suspect that the Sith survived.

The Knights were easy to dismiss as common thugs. That’s why Luke let them live. Had he taken them captive and interrogated Ren, he might have learned that Palpatine lived.

15. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    I think your analogy is spot on. Ever since TROS I've felt that the Knights of Ren are, in the end, nothing more than the Dark Side Elite´s canon version. Close to anonymous darksiders fanatically loyal to Palpatine... sure enough, seems to work. And Ren being the canon of Sedriss works perfectly too, even if we lose that 80s punk aesthetic that the Executor rocked on!

Vialco likes this.
  16. P4KISTAN

P4KISTAN Jedi Master star 1

Jun 3, 2013
    Ren's comments about 'The Ren' and the shadow kinda line up with the last phrase of the sith code ('My chains are broken - the Force shall free me').

It's as if the Sith had a tight focus on the first lines of the code (survival/power/emotions) while the Knights of Ren emphasize on the last line about being 'free'.

Vialco likes this.
  17. Wilhuff's Slippers

Wilhuff's Slippers Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2019
    I got this for Christmas and I was pretty underwhelmed despite there being some great moments/flashes of potential.
    Compared to other Soule Star Wars titles it really fell flat...

On the whole it just felt under developed and rushed - the ending especially seemed so blunt.
    I can only assume it's because there were elements of story/charcter he was told to give a wide berth/not touch.

I also found some of the illustrations of Ben distracting and comical - too much of a focus on making him look like Adam Driver and not enough on conveying the actual emotions or expression the character was wearing. Young Ben solo looked especially weird to me...

If I had to pick something I really enjoyed about it, it would be that Ben was not guilty of blowing up the temple and slaughtering the students - some of the moments where he pulls off moves to save those who are in pursuit of him are particularly rewarding, even if it does all feel a bit contrived and forced at points.
    I always felt after watching TLJ that Ben didn't appear to be trying to harm anyone, even in Luke's version of events.

Your Uncle has just tried to kill you, you escape with your life feeling completely discombobulated/angry/upset/fearful and the temple blows up in front of you.
    I don't think Ben Solo destroyed the temple, but I do think he believes it was his fault, which would be absolutely scarring haunting.

I guess the take away message I took from the book was that Ben was never really the "evil" or "bad" person he and the galaxy thought he was - however telling himself and being told repeatedly that he was "too far gone" became a self fulfilling prophecy and he became exactly what he and others claimed.
    Ben was a *****d up kid with absent parents, voices in his head and a heavy burden to live up to. Circumstance and outside influences led to him becoming a Monster.
    Poor kid just wanted to belong and feel loved.

Personally I wish they'd left this story to be told another time, possibly in another medium - now any story they do around this time period is going to have to tip toe around some pretty broad strokes that aren't particularly consequential but do limit story opportunities.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  18. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Snoke's horticulture hub was a High Republic space station

19. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    (Into the Dark spoilers)
    I can't believe they posted this video so soon after the release of Into the Dark, because it's a huge spoiler. It's not revealed until late in the book that the Drengir are on the station. I had a strong feeling they were going to be on the station considering the whole plants + dark side aspect, but still.

Also, calling it a "High Republic space station" is inaccurate. It's an Old Republic era space station.

20. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Relevant to the above, I can't recall to what extent the depiction of the station in the comic tallies with what's in the book. Can someone remind me of what's revealed about in the comic? I just remember Snoke had a sweet hat.

21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    It's basically 1-for-1 regarding its appearance. The book describes everything we see in the comic- the different sets of rings, the verdant plant life, and the translucent bubble around the core of the station. It then goes a bit more in depth and describes some unseen attributes of the station.

22. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    There is much that I agree with in what you said and I took the same message away from the series as you did; just as I have from TLJ onwards - which is virtually the same message.

The broad strokes you mentioned was something that I felt too because I feel that Soule, like Abrams, did not tell the full story of Ben Solo in the depth it needs. Soule wasn't as bad as Abrams because there were flashes where further expansion could have been had and Soule did allude to some things. But he, like Abrams, still didn't get to the core of Ben Solo in respect of why? Why did he go to where he did? What was every factor that transformed him into Kylo Ren? Why couldn't Luke reach him and stop this all from happening? Soule showed many factors that influenced change in Ben Solo, but not all.

So the comics in some respects can appear to be coming off broad strokes because the Storygroup appear to be dancing around an issue that needs to be explained and dealt with so that the complete perspectives of what happened can be seen.

It makes me wonder too if they will ever have the courage to do so.

23. Wilhuff's Slippers

Wilhuff's Slippers Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2019
    Thanks for sharing your opinion, mate.
    Personally I'm holding out hope for an animated TV series or animated film following Luke, Ben and Lorr San Tekka around this time period.
    They'd be able to go into more depth while also including this source material.

I want to see that deep emo sad boi tormented pre-teen/teenage Ben Solo, hearing voices in his head and battling with his identity/relationship with his parents/weight of expectation/fear of failure.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    Generational Fan likes this.
  24. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    This is what Im hoping for too. I want to see 7/8 year old Ben sitting at the dinner table by himself because Leia has an important late night session in the Senate and Han is on an important mission elsewhere in the galaxy that is critical for the survival of the New Republic. I want to see the emotionless nanny droid putting Ben to bed because of the same reasons and have it mentioned this is a regular occurence. Not to burn Han or Leia as characters, or as people, or most importantly, as parents. No, I want this shown with Ben Solo so that it shows the exact point of vulnerability, the exact crack in the armour that Palpatine could exploit and ultimately shatter Ben Solo. Just as Palpatine exploited Anakin's feelings in his fear of losing another person he deeply loves, Palpatine exploits Ben Solo's feelings of loneliness because his parents were desperately needed in keeping the New Republic together and functioning.

For me, this is the missing jigsaw puzzle piece that needs to be properly explained. All of the other pieces are there and you can see the picture, but there is just that one little piece in the middle missing.

Once there, everything falls into place for me. It shows why Luke could never reach him, it shows why Palpatine could easily get into the little boy's head and exploit and manipulate him. And so on. For me, it then forms the complete picture and the step by step process that led to Ben's downfall.

Like you, I hope for some more media that shows this; for me, preferrably in live action or cartoon.

25. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    After my post I realized I hadn't read half the series, I'd just seen Snoke bit excerpted somewhere. Fixed that. A couple of other interesting bits which I'll spoiler for Into The Dark references:
    - it's full of skeletons of various species. This seems to relate to events after Into The Dark.
    -There are some kind of gnarly vines that could be interpreted as ex-Drengir, but also maybe not.
    -Snoke describes the people who built the station as "trying to hold back the dark" and implies that the corpses are evidence that it didn't work out that well. This could maybe be a slightly changed premise (the Amaxine aren't mentioned) but it doesn't matter either way since Snoke is Snoke so it makes sense for him to be lying.
    -Overall, something pretty major does seem to have gone on in the station over the intervening years but it's tough to infer what it was.