main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics The Rise of Kylo Ren 4 issue Comic by Charles Soule

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jid123Sheeve, Jul 19, 2019.

1. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I feel the only way to redeem Kylo at this point is through self sacrifice, similar to Vader in ROTJ. Before Ben dies, he'll finally understand, he'll look off into the distance and see Force Ghost Anakin before his eyes close for good. Maybe Anakin will say, "Let go, Ben" or something chilling that reminds us of Obi-wan telling Luke to let go. Then if his soul is truly saved, we'll see Ben's Force Ghost with the others before iris out.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  2. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018

Thought I share this here.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  3. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    we should get marvel's December solicitations early next week so more details probably will come about Rise of kylo Ren #1 and I bet we might see a new cover for it .

4. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    We should be getting November solicitations sometime next week

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    Sinrebirth likes this.
  5. Darth Corydon

Aug 4, 2018
    my mistake

darthzac14 likes this.
  6. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Interesting. [face_thinking]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  7. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Just about to post that myself...Beat me too it ;p

Seriosuly though

I feels like Charles Soule comics always have the most insight into things in the future...Or maybe that's just my own weird take.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2019
  8. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    This is easily my most anticipated part of the EU in years.

9. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

A bit off topic but I would suggest if you read Soule's Vader comic read Fortress Vader...Lots of um...Interesting things happening.

10. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Mind giving me a bit of a hint? I'd very much like to know what you mean.

11. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011

OrganicMeatbag and Ghost like this.
  12. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Ancient Sith long sought dead but maybe not shenanigans

Spirit journey / World between world esq goodness with Vader

The whole bring back the dead thing from 3 touched on

Hints on Palpatine and Anakin’s connection similar to Plagueis novel

If you want me to be more direct I will but I’ll start vague

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2019
  13. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Bought my copies of the last Vader arc.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    With this giving us are first look of the 13 students, this is a chance to see how Luke’s Academy differed from the Jedi of old. One of the ways this could be is have a few of the students be older then Ben. These few were clearly not kids when joining Luke’s Academy.

I liked how in Legends we had adults learning how to become Jedi post RoTJ. Gives them a different perspective if they were born pre-RoTJ, maybe having some memories of the Empire.

BigAl6ft6 and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I honestly thought this would start off right after the Jedi massacre but the fact we may actually see it here is pretty great/bonkers.

16. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    There are more than thirteen. Luke says he started the training temple with thirteen, but he ended up with more judging by the number of bodies outside it after the massacre. So there could even be a generation or two.

17. Darth Corydon

Aug 4, 2018
    I hope they recycle talon as one of Luke's students. I don't care if she's knight or not

18. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Ugh, we're probably not gonna get a preview for this until November at the earliest. This is the most excited I've been about a sequel-trilogy-adjacent tie-in since Canto Bight.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    First issue comes out on December 4. Soule also wars that some choices might be "controversial" but doesn't specify to who?
    https://www.cbr.com/the-rise-of-kylo-ren-new-details-fan-expo/
    During the Publishing in Star Wars panel of Fan Expo Toronto, writer Charles Soule (Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith) revealed new details about his upcoming and highly anticipated four-issue Marvel Comics series The Rise of Kylo Ren, which debuts on Dec. 4.

Soule described the comic as the origin story of the Kylo Ren that we see in Star Wars: The Force Awakens, or as he playfully called it, "From Ben to Ren." He confirmed that the series would deal with his apprenticeship under Luke Skywalker and the events leading up to the night he destroyed the Jedi Temple.

"You know, Ben Solo is tragic," Soule said. "The potential of him from the day he was born, everyone around him saw or thought they saw what he could be. So he was put in all these different paths, and we've kind of seen how that's gone wrong in the films so far. This is a story about Ben Solo, understanding some of the choices he made."

Other plot points that Soule mentioned are the mysterious Knights of Ren, who have been off-screen for two entire films, but whom Kylo Ren commands.

He couldn't guarantee that the readers would feel any affection for them, although he was doing everything in his power to write them as realistically as possible. "They're not good people," Soule said, "but they're people."

The way he described them sounded a lot like the treatment he gave to the Inquisitors in Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith. The Inquisitors are a team of Dark Side users, not full-fledged Sith, whose mission consists of tracking down and eliminating any Jedi survivors and fetching Force-sensitive babies and children to be raised under the shadow of the Empire. All of them were evil, but each of these characters was also distinctively memorable with very human reactions, desires, and fears.

It makes sense, because Soule also mentioned he was chosen to write The Rise of Kylo Ren because of his work on Dark Lord of the Sith, and with the five-issue Star Wars: Anakin and Obi-Wan, that also dealt with the formative Jedi years of Kylo's grandfather.

The common thread in the three stories is obvious: young men dealing with a radical change of their identity at the same time they have to face challenges set by their mentors. In Anakin and Obi-Wan, Anakin comes to realize what it really means to be a Jedi and all the things that he traded for it: a trade-off he wasn't fully conscious of at the time he left with Qui-Gon Jinn, because he was only 9 years old. In Dark Lord of the Sith, Darth Vader has to learn how to be Darth Vader, and more importantly, how to let go of everything that Anakin was and that Anakin loved.

"I can't think of another one that's so absolutely walled off from his past to become somebody totally new… he's not like, 'Oh, yeah, I used to be that…' it's just like that person didn't exist," Soule explained. "Which is strange, because it is him, he has the memories, he hasn't forgotten Padme, it's just that that person is just dead."

Finally, The Rise of Kylo Ren will also deal with Ben Solo's training under Snoke, which was recently explored in Star Wars: Age of Resistance -- Supreme Leader Snoke #1, and it was nothing short of brutal. However, Soule will probably take a different approach, more character-driven than action-packed, as he did in his previous works.

When a fan asked him about the specifics of working on Star Wars for a character as important as Kylo Ren, Soule admitted he felt the pressure and that some of his choices might be considered controversial by some fans.

"You know, sometimes Star Wars stories are like telling a great story and having a great time playing in this sandbox," he said. "And other times, Star Wars jobs are like 'OK, we'll give you an incredibly key piece of the overall mythology that you have to nail.' You guys would not be very happy with me if I screw this up. And everyone here might not be very happy with the choices that I made."

However, he then explained that he didn't do that kind of storytelling all by himself: not only did he get a series of bullet points from the filmmakers of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker about where the character's story was going to be at the end of the saga, but his outline and dialogue had to be submitted to the Lucasfilm Story Group, who vet every detail of every story that takes place within the Star Wars Universe.

"Any significant change in Star Wars, that isn't just a little shade of a character that we know really well, it's vetted to make sure that it feels like Star Wars, that it fits within the Star Wars Universe, that it balances within the story universe, and that isn't in conflict with the Story Group. So you're in this weird game of chess with invisible chess players, you can't see the moves, and the only people who have a sense of the board, are not really playing it with the story."

Master_Rebado and VGCinema like this.
  20. VGCinema

VGCinema Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2019
    100% my most anticipated comic book release. I'm glad he doesn't seem to be playing it safe here, Charles Soule is an incredible writer, I'm sure he has something amazing up his sleeve. It definitely feels like he's feeling the pressure on this one though. I hope people don't drag him down if they don't like whatever controversial content is in the book.

21. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Issue #1 solicit.
    [​IMG]
    STAR WARS: THE RISE OF KYLO REN #1 (OF 4)
    CHARLES SOULE (W) • WILL SLINEY (A)
    COVER BY CLAYTON CRAIN
    VARIANT COVER BY CARMEN CARNERO
    ACTION FIGURE VARIANT COVER BY JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER
    MOVIE VARIANT COVER ALSO AVAILABLE
    WITH BEN SOLO’S FALL… COMES KYLO REN’S RISE!
    Young Ben Solo is legendary Jedi Luke Skywalker’s most promising pupil. As the son of Rebel Alliance heroes Leia Organa and Han Solo, as well as Luke’s own nephew, Ben has the potential to be a great force for light in the galaxy. But the Skywalker legacy casts a long shadow, the currents of the dark side run deep, and Darth Vader’s blood runs in Ben’s veins. Voices call from both his past and his future, telling him who he must be. He will shatter, he will be reforged, his destiny will be revealed. Snoke awaits. The Knights of Ren await. Ben Solo’s path to his true self begins here.
    40 PGS./Rated T …$4.99
    Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization. Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2019 Lucasfilm Ltd.

22. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
  23. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    That side by side of Ben/Kylo is ridiculous. He’s just a little more ragged looking and has longer hair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011

SNOKE SINKS HIS CLAWS IN! YOUNG BEN SOLO FACES THE KNIGHTS OF REN!
    • With the new jedi school in ruins and fellow students hot on his trail for the murder of their master, Ben Solo flees to the only friend he has left in the galaxy…a man named Snoke. But Snoke has plans for Ben…and ideas about the Force that are as dangerous as they are intriguing for the troubled young jedi.
    • If Ben wishes to be truly free…the answers might lie with the dark side. And with the Knights of Ren!
    • But it won’t be the first time he’s tangled with the Knights. In the past, Jedi Master Luke Skywalker journeys to the Unknown Regions and brings young Ben along for the mission. Can even Luke Skywalker stand against the fabled Knights of Ren?!
    32 PGS. / Rated T / $3.99

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  25. AV-6R7

AV-6R7 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    I'm guessing the one with the red lightsaber is the originally Master of the Knights of Ren. Also, it looks like the students Luke said Ben took with him were in actuality pursuing him. Guess they didn't bother to check whether Luke was alive or not.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019