main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics The Rise of Kylo Ren 4 issue Comic by Charles Soule

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jid123Sheeve, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Ah, I see - yeah, could open the door to writing SW TV.

2. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I find it interesting how the premise for the 1st issue mentions Jedi school in ruins and students chasing Ben for the murder of their master, but doesn’t mention their fellow students getting killed by Ben.

But it does mention a ruined school.

Though what if the bodies Luke saw when he awoke weren’t all killed by Ben, but in the period where Luke was still unconscious but Ben had already fled. What if Snoke planned in advanced and had the KoR and other FO forces come to wipe out them out.

Im guessing Luke noticed some of his students were missing in the piles of bodies and mistakenly thought they allied with Ben or forced to leave with them.

Speaking of this gang that chased after Ben, how will Disney resolve their fates?

They could go the predictable route of Kylo/KoR killing them all. I really would dislike if all of Luke’s students were wiped out in such a short time span without causing trouble for them FO.

Instead they can drag out the end of Luke’s students over the 6 years between Bens fall and TFA. Like a more condensed dark times era.

Technically a few could still be alive while respecting the TFA crawl that Luke is the last Jedi. Such as one or two students really going into hiding to escape FO/Kyle after learning that all the rest of them are dead. Seeing jedihood as a lost cause, still believing that Luke is dead. After all Luke is correctly the last Jedi by the end of RoTJ even though ex-Jedi Ashoka is still alive and probably Ezra.

Maybe a survivor can become a Jedi again with Rey in the future.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  3. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Would be cool if Verla from his Darth Vader series appeared as a part of Luke's academy. We never saw what happened to her after the invasion of Mon Cala.
    [​IMG]

4. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Issue #3 solicit.
    [​IMG]
    STAR WARS: THE RISE OF KYLO REN #3 (OF 4)

CHARLES SOULE (W) • WILL SLINEY (A) • COVER BY CLAYTON CRAIN
    Variant Cover by STEFANO LANDINI
    BEN SOLO, KNIGHT OF REN?
    • Soon, BEN SOLO’S path will end in a place of fire and blood, and a shadow will rise to take his place. He is with the KNIGHTS OF REN now, and they will welcome him, if he can pay their price.
    • But before that destiny is fulfilled, a battle must be fought at an ancient JEDI Outpost on the planet ELPHRODA - between Ben and those who know what he could have been... and fear what he might become.
    • Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. Everyone here is afraid - Ben Solo most of all!
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
    Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization. Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2019 Lucasfilm Ltd.

Vialco likes this.
  5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Interesting, I was sure they were going to double ship this one across two months and get it all done by end of Jan 2020.

6. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    I wish the fall of the Academy was something we saw on Tv. Getting to know Luke’s student and good Ben in many episodes before seeing the downfall.

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm just stoked we're getting this story, I figured a TV mini would be the most likely format (mayyybe a movie but I doubt it) but still getting it in comics with Soule writing is pretty darn great. Also I don't think you need a lot of narrative time devoted to getting to know all the students because we all know how it ends, everybody dies, so you really don't have to know about these people all that much.

8. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I disagree with this because the PT was full of people whose deaths we’d already seen (Anakin, Obi-Wan, Palpatine, Yoda) and whose deaths were almost certain (like the whole Jedi Order) and the audience still became completely invested in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    It’s the most important ST story that hasn’t been shown in the films.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    yah we've actually gotten the highlight reel version in the Last Jedi flashbacks so we know essentially what happened (Snoke turned Ben bad, Luke freaked out, Ben freaked out moreso), this will be expanding on it, and probably some bits of TROS lore they can incorporate into it.

11. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    What's more, until a couple of months ago we thought they all died at the same time or turned to the dark side, so...I mean there appears to be some narrative wiggle room here.

12. themoth

Dec 5, 2015
    That’s true - we know the general chain of events. I’m curious about the Jedi temple murders (who survived, etc) and the Snoke connection being fleshed out. I’m hoping they nail the series because it should be Kylo’s most important arc in the comics. They only get to do this once.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    SW.com interview: "The Creators of Marvel’s Star Wars: The Rise of Kylo Ren on Ben Solo’s Turn — Writer Charles Soule and artist Will Sliney tell StarWars.com about capturing the subtle emotion and sweeping mythology inherent in Ben Solo’s epic journey to the dark side."

I underlined the bits of information that were of the most interest to me:

To tell the tale of Ben Solo’s fall to the dark side, the subject of the upcoming Marvel Star Wars comic The Rise of Kylo Ren, writer Charles Soule and artist Will Sliney started from a framework developed by Lucasfilm after a lengthy conversation with none other than J.J. Abrams. The director of Star Wars: The Force Awakens and Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker had created the Knights of Ren for the first film in the sequel trilogy, and the pair knew their story had to fit between two fixed points in the Star Wars timeline: the destruction of the Jedi temple that sent Luke Skywalker into exile and the arrival of the fearsome dark warrior who appeared on Jakku at the start of The Force Awakens.

“And then it was about creating a story that felt epic and above all emotional for Ben Solo,” Soule tells StarWars.com. “Because this transition, this turn to the dark side has to be as good and stand at the same level as some of the other big turns to the dark side we see,” including the fall of Anakin Skywalker, who was transformed into the infamous Sith Lord Darth Vader.

Soule previously delved into Darth Vader’s past with another Marvel comic, Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith, an epic story that kicked off as the machine-enabled man was lurching off Emperor Palpatine’s operating table at the end of Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith.

In The Rise of Kylo Ren, Soule has written in emotional beats by folding in quiet moments, omitting dialogue from panels to firmly place the focus on the internal struggle within Ben and allow Sliney’s art to sing. “In this book, we’re leaning towards the mask,” Sliney says. “In one of the very early moments…we kind see the two sides of Ben where you can see him emotionally hurt and then he starts to put up this shield, this outer shield. Within the course of two panels, you want to show in one instance this is a frightened boy and in the second instance he has the potential to be this really, really dark person. It’s something that has to be subtly done.”

“There’s lots of moments where you can see him thinking and waiting before he reacts,” Soule adds. “He’s a very internal person…except when he’s not, right? He’s completely under control and completely compartmentalized until sometimes all those walls break at once and he does things like smashing his helmet or slicing up a computer console with his lightsaber.”

Sliney studied Adam Driver’s portrayal of the character to quantify exactly how the character betrays his emotion in those quieter moments — sometimes with little more than the twitch of his mouth. “I’ve never seen an actor or character that gives away so much with kind of the quiver of a lip, which is something that I’m trying to get across as much as I can in the panels,” Sliney adds, which can be a challenge. “He has this almost childish pout of his bottom lip that gives away emotion, so I’m trying to bring that in there ever so slightly at different times, which is difficult to do when it’s a still image.”

Meet the Knights of Ren

An integral part of Ben Solo’s journey involves the Knights of Ren, a mysterious helmeted posse we’ve only just glimpsed in The Force Awakens, but will meet again in the upcoming film Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.

But first: “You’ll learn an awful lot about the Knights of Ren very, very fast in this book,” Sliney teases.

“I think when that first page shows up in previews it’s going to land so hard,” adds Soule.

Soule was inspired by motorcycle gangs, classic Westerns, and Samurai tales as he dramatized some of the lore behind the masked marauders. “They can all use the Force, the dark side of the Force, to varying degrees,” he reveals. “They’re not as powerful as a Jedi or a Sith, but they use it when they fight…. They have some sort of a code, like a motorcycle gang, but it’s not elaborate. They’re flexible.” Like all good galactic thugs and scoundrels, they’re in it for themselves. “Mostly they’re just kind of out to live their lives the way they want to live them and take what the galaxy will give them and eat what the dark side sends,” Soule says.

The story also introduces a trio of Ben’s classmates, survivors of the Jedi temple destruction by virtue of being off-world on a mission at the time of its collapse. In the first issue, surveying the aftermath and Ben Solo standing among the wreckage, one of these students asks, “Should we call his mother?”

The answer is no. Soule says as much as he enjoys writing the character of Leia, he used her sparingly in this story. “I would like her to be in the book more than she is because I think Will draws a beautiful Leia Organa,” he says. “But ultimately this story is about Ben Solo…. I think because of what the journey is, he has to go through it by himself. And we’ve seen how attached he is to his mother in the films. If Leia was too much of a presence in it, I think his journey might not have gone the same way. And I think if you look at the larger architecture of the Star Wars galaxy around this time, I think there are a lot of things happening that are being specifically engineered to keep Leia away from Ben. Read into that what you will. Just as there is a long game being played with Anakin, I think there is a long game being played with Ben Solo as well.”

And of course, the story will include Snoke, Kylo Ren’s dark side master, although not like you’ve ever seen him before. “There’s an awesome moment towards the end of issue one where he first meets Snoke and…Snoke is very different in this book,” Soule says. “And the way he acts toward Ben and the way that Ben is with him is very different than he is in Force Awakens and The Last Jedi, which is on purpose.”

A new myth

Soule and Sliney have both been imagining their own versions of this particular tale ever since they saw The Force Awakens, although neither dared to think they might one day be part of the story’s official telling.

“It was a shock,” Soule says of getting the call from Lucasfilm Publishing. “I can’t believe that I’m the guy who gets to write that. Of course I had been thinking about it on a fan level from the minute I saw The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi, but the idea that I would be writing it down was never in my mind until this past summer. And then I just dug in as hard as I could to really try to make a really good Star Wars story.” The final tale takes its cues from the saga’s mythological roots while trying to answer the question on everyone’s mind: How did Ben Solo, the son of two heroes of the Rebellion and the nephew of a Jedi Master fall so far to the darkness?

“You want it to feel like the really big mythological moments feel from Star Wars whether it’s the Mustafar battle between Anakin and Obi-Wan or the throne room battle at the end of Jedi,” Soule says. “These are the moments where the fate of the Force, the fate of the galaxy, and the balance of the Force, all these things are on the scales being weighed. And this book, if we do it right, should be building and building and building to a moment where Ben makes a choice and you understand why he does it and you realize he had no choice, even though he thinks he’s making one. That’s what the story’s supposed to be. That’s what happened to Anakin. If we do our job right, it will feel utterly inevitable and also utterly preventable, which is the tragedy of the whole story.”

14. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Preview should be coming pretty soon for this, right? It's nine days away.

15. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    tomorrow or wednsday I'm guessing

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Remember the rules of comics - assume nothing until you have confirmation of shipping.

17. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I usually don't find these interviews very interesting, but this one is a bit unusual. Sounds like they're intentionally trying to *throw shade* subvert expectations. But srsly, stressing how much "Snoke is very different" in this story has me intrigued.

18. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    So about that trio.......

Im looking forward to seeing the story of these new order 66 survivors. Seeing Ben standing upon the wreckage of their academy and fellow dead students, and chasing after him. Them also being off world shows that Luke trusted some of his students to be on missions without him. I’m sure we will see more of these types of missions in the Academy era. Maybe further prequel material can shed light on the mission this trio was sent on.

Would make for a good ending to a animated series about Luke’s Academy.

I bet they end up dead by the end of this series, but a better path is one escaping from Kylo. Their is still a 6 year gap until TFA to kill the last good student of Lukes or he could just hid like Purge survivors of old and give up identifiying as a Jedi.

19. Wrinty

Wrinty Jedi Master star 3

Apr 8, 2007
    Luke's students were already doing missions without his supervision suggests that they are quite advanced... also, I'm guessing Luke later does find out the fate of this trio if they do indeed don't make it out of this mini alive to go along with the whole last Jedi thing.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  20. themoth

Dec 5, 2015
    Could have something to do with a certain TROS plot point.
    Snoke being a clone.
    I’m guessing the fact Ben is a much stronger Force user is what launches him to the top of the tree with the KOR. The interview says the KOR have abilities but nothing near Jedi or Sith.

21. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Knights of Ren sound kinda like the vampire gang from Lost Boys.

22. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    so we will listen to Cry little sister while we read this

Ventrix likes this.
  23. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Snoke/Kylo confirmed?

Snokylo?

Kyloke?

Kyloke. Yeah. Definitely.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  24. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    It's been 30 years since TFA. There could easily be at least three generations, here: Luke, Luke's students, and Luke's students' students.

Wrinty likes this.
  25. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Hopefully.

And we need as many alive as possible (opening crawls be damned) so the extended universe can keep introducing survivors to be part of the post-TROS NuJO.

BobaMatt, starfish and Sinrebirth like this.