main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Knights of the Old Republic #1: Commencement, part 1 (of 6)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by wild_karrde, Nov 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Knights of the Old Republic / Rebellion 25cent Flip Book
    Knights of the Old Republic #2

2. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Hadn't seen the updated blurbage yet. Although this might get bumped over into this thread or this thread, once the release is imminent.

3. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    That thread covers 3 different titles (Rebellion, KOTOR, and Purge)

4. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    Right, but a good two-thirds (or more) of that thread is largely KotOR-centric, versus the other two projects. Figure this'll be a mod judgment-call, but no biggie.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    This will be the issue thread- as WK pointed out, the second link covers the "Comiccon announcements", and the first link is specific to the video game series (and I'm going to clarify that thread title now). Should let single issues get their own dedicated thread without months of speculation from the announcement (excepts going to miniseries like GG, Obsession and RL, etc).

6. Joser_Kyind

Joser_Kyind Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 10, 2005
    I'm looking forward to KotoR, but I'm afraid that they may end up pandering too much to the game fans, and ignore the TotJ fans.

7. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    It's all right, no huge thing. As long as we know where we'll all be when the time comes. [face_mischief] [face_coffee]

Wouldn't worry about that too much...as long as there aren't any more Selkath High Council members, we should be in shape. Remember too that the games originated from the comics, and these stories are now back in Dark Horse's hands.

Keeping the gamer peanut-gallery sated is one priority, but considering the mythology and that they're building up events to the Mandalorian Wars themselves, I highly doubt the series'll be a major bag of kak.

8. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    It's all good for me since I'm both a game and TOTJ fan :)

9. crestfallen

crestfallen Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 2003
    Sweet. I'm getting this too.

10. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Commencement is the 1st issue. Genesis Grin would've sounded better, but . . . meh, as Americans like to say.

11. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    "It" being the first story arc. ;)

Jeremy mentioned it in the Republic going away thread, I believe.

12. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    How many issues?

13. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    EDIT: My bad...should've posted that Jeremy-question in the *other* thread.

14. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Too late, Leto. Already answered you, ha! Predates the Mandalorian rampage, we've been told.

I've been trying to work out timeframes . . .

After 20yrs conquering neutral worlds, they attacked Republically
    Republic-Jedi fought for 3yrs
    The rampage ended 4yrs before KOTOR
    Malachor was nearly 10yrs ago Mandalore says in The Sith Lords

15. Joser_Kyind

Joser_Kyind Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 10, 2005
    It's supposed to be an ongoing series.

16. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    I meant, how many issues is the "Commencement" arc?

17. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    Curse you, Excellence. Or maybe not. [face_thinking]

All those are largely spot-on; the NEC gives a very broad span of time for the Mando Wars (3,995-3,960 BBY), but those earliest dates are the commencement of the Mandalorians' furthest Outer Rim depredations, not yet hitting into the Republic itself for quite some time.

In the games themselves, most of the characters tend to mark the war's "proper" beginnings at circa 3,963 BBY -- the year the Mandos struck openly and directly at the Republic's heart, drawing the attention of the Jedi. Malachor V was in that last year (3,960 BBY), which was indeed "nearly 10 years ago," per the dating of Knights of the Old Republic II (3,951 BBY).

The promo-blurb mentions "[the Mandalorian armies] are on the verge of a devastating march across the galaxy," which further supports this sociohistorical philosophy; you'd have thunk they'd have heard news from Onderon prior to this if Ultimate Mandalore's war-machine had already shown itself in earnest to the Republic.

The second game's establishment of the Dxun fortress as being the C&C "nerve center" of the greater war effort -- i.e., OUTSIDE their hidden fastness and Republic space -- tracks with all this. Mandalore evidently directed his distant armies from the Dxun bunker for the better part of two decades prior to popping the top off their near-space armadas in the comic's timeframe.

18. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I hope we get to see some of the Mandolorian wars then. Maybe even a Candorus cameao.

19. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Um, I could be worng, but if it's set before the Mando invasion of the Republic, doesn't that mean we'll see it in time? ;)

20. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    The series starts a full year or thereabouts before the Mandalorian Wars even begin, which points to a significant buildup to that conflict. Not much to be concerned with on that account.

As for Canderous, couldn't tell you what Dark Horse has planned, but the chance exists. Around this period, he'd be a youngbuck Basilisk pilot for Clan Ordo.

21. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

So . . . around 9yrs after Redemption . . . ??? years before KOTOR.

22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >> How many issues?<<

Workin' on finding out.

23. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    One year after TotJ: The Sith War, matter of fact -- Mandy Ult got an early jump on things; the clans weren't yet as widely-scattered as they would be after Malachor. The main comic story itself opens eight years before the first KotOR.

24. EduardoBlake

EduardoBlake Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2002
  25. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

[image=http://static.flickr.com/26/57894372_e22ef609bc_b.jpg]

Not the fancy Parson/Kryssing-class inks, but good camera angles with The Gryph without full names. =D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.