main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Knights of the Old Republic #10: Flashpoint, part 3 (of 3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by wild_karrde, Jun 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cbagmjg

cbagmjg Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2006
    Silly indeed, though Revan and Malak both are their real names, not monikers.
    Being a scientist, i'm sure he somehow drugged him with something. And considering that he was very, very interested in Jarael is one reason why he sneaks on the Last Resort.

2. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    I still fail to see any resemblance. Hell, he looked more like Anakin after Mustafar!

Adding an "M" to Alek isn't much of a stretch. It makes much more sense if his name was Alek before he became a Sith and then just added an "M" to it to make it sound cooler. Besides, Bandon wasn't that much of a big deal in the game, unlike Malek who nearly wiped out the Republic.

3. Kaje

Kaje Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2005
    How bout his name was really ch'Zethre!hEthramalak or something like that? As a Jedi he shortened it to Alek. As a Sith he went with Malak.

4. cbagmjg

Jul 12, 2006
    He'd also have to drop the E and add an A cause it's spelled Malak.

5. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    I also agree with cbagmjg. It's gotta be Demagol... how could I have missed that? :confused:

That means we'll get to see...

MORE DEMAGOL!!!!!

Does this mean Squint is dead? After all, they were going to destroy the base. Nah, I'm sure he survived somehow.

6. cbagmjg

Jul 12, 2006
    The first time I read it I didn't really understand what was going on. It just seemed like everything happened so fast and they made it look way too easy to accomplish all they did in that short time. The first time I didn't catch Rohlan pulling Demagol out of the building.
    The second time I read it, the whole Rohlan sneaking on to the Last Resort started to make sense to me. He was Demagol disguised as Rohlan. Now I wonder when Rohlan gets brought to Coruscant, who will believe that he's not Demagol?

7. RebelGrrl

RebelGrrl Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2006
    That's what I was suspecting, too!

I want to know what's up with Demagol's ear fetish. If it is him, hopefully we'll find out what Jareal's ears mean.

8. ZombieProblems

ZombieProblems Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2004
    I felt the ending of this issue was rather confusing too; alot going on, very dense exposition. I had to read it twice myself! But I didn't reckon the obvious Demagol-in-disguise bit until you hit it Cbagmbj. Clever!

Now whats got my mystery-muscle working overtime is what, exactly, is so special about Jarael (I mean besides the fact that she's cute)? Is there some significance to her tattoo? Her elvin ears? Is she apart of some lost sect of force-senstives? A warrior class? She seemed to take to the lightsabre pretty well, no?

Hmm... the mystery thicks!

9. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Yeah, good catch on the Demagol in Rohlan's clothing bit. I didn't see it when I read/wrote the summary. As for Rohlan being mistaken as the good doctor, I'm pretty sure that that's a given. I think the only people who have seen Rohlan unmasked are about to run into some Ithorians (or is that the arc after next?).

All of this mystery about Jarael has me wondering as well. Can't wait to see what they have planned, that's for sure.

As for Squint/Alek. Personally, I think the signs point to him being Malak are not misleading. But I've never played the games, so what do I know about that? :)

10. cbagmjg

Jul 12, 2006
    I don't think i've ever read anything like KOTOR where every story leaves another mystery and more speculation. It's the "Lost" of comics.

11. cbagmjg

Jul 12, 2006
    On the whole Alek thing. I still think he said Malak, it's just being interpreted as Alek. I just have one of those gut feelings on it and that the next time they meet it will be clarified. I have always thought that if you nickname a person in the comic, it would mean that the writer is trying to disguise the true identity of the character. And the only(important and mysterious) jedi characters that we know their real names are Revan and Malak. I still wouldn't rule out the whole Squint/Revan thing if the hooded character ends up being someone like Kreia.

12. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    I'm still guessing the hooded mystery-Jedi from #9 is Kreia, that Alek = Malak, and that we have not yet seen Revan. Alek mentions that his master went to Dxun. The hooded Jedi just returned from Dxun. I think it's safe to assume that the hooded Jedi is Alek's master. ASsuming that Alek is really Malak, that means the hooded figure is either Revan or Kreia. At this point in time, Revan and Malak are not yet Sith (this doesn't happen until sometime during the war which is just beginning). Malak doesn't consider Revan his master until they become Sith. Therefore, I am (for the moment) assuming that when he talks about his master, he's referring to Kreia. This would make her the hooded Jedi.

13. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Not like it really matters much in the debate, but Malak and Alek have different colored eyes.

14. D-Murda

D-Murda Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2005
    The thing about the Malak=Alek theory, which I don't think can be true, is that Malak was always with Revan and didn't get involved with the war until it already started. Squint seems to be a padawan to me and Malak, I'm sure, was already a full Knight.

I must say that this comic was pretty good. I was wondering about why "Rohlan" was looking at Jarael that way and it does seem that he might be Demagol in disguise. That's brilliant! I too also want to know what Demagol sees in her.

15. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I'm not biting on Alek-is-Malak. The only thing that would save it for me was if "Alek" is revealed to be a mishearing of his name, but I'm betting this is another red herring. Like Haazen: close, but no cigar.

16. cbagmjg

Jul 12, 2006
    Squint being Malak might just be another red herring, but eventually they will run out of red herrings. Hopefully sooner, rather than later, we'll find out which is which.

Demagol=Dhagon Ghent(Just Joking)

17. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    I hope that we see more of the Mandos in upcoming arcs. The space battle we got in Issue 8 was too good to be a one-time only thing!

18. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    That was the impression I got. Not necessarily that he's Malak, although there are certainly hints (red herrings though they may be) in that direction, but that "Alek" is short for the complicated name.

Good issue, as I've come to expect from this series. I like how the KOTOR elements are starting to crystallize. Nice cameo of the KOTOR II shuttle by Weaver, and I like how the ship that Squint et al take off in is reminiscent of the other Republic designs.

19. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

You can't do that. Malak is old Hebrew for nip off. Changing it would ruin my serendipitous discovery of that. It's also Kalam backwards, a key Malazan character. :D

20. Sikon

Sikon Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 29, 2006
    Who knows? Maybe. Dhagon used to be a Mandalorian, after all. However, he has a thicker build in TSL, although this can just as well be an engine limitation. (That body model is used by 99% males in the game.)

In fact, while I doubt that Alek "Squint" Unpronounceablelastname is intended to be Malak, I would like them to be the same. He is exactly how I imagined (and attempted to write about) Malak before he became a Sith: a Jedi always ready to sacrifice himself, and a friend of Zayne.

Considering eye color. This is Malak, before he lost his jaw:
    [image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/9/91/Young_Malak.JPG]
    Squint and Jarael:
    [image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/5/5e/Squintjara.jpg]
    Squint, still with hair:
    [image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/5/5c/Squinthead.jpg]

21. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

*shakes head*

Come on, it couldn't be more obvious, you Killiking courtesans. Malak is distinctively tall and slender, so why are you comparisoning face mugs when you should be Chadra Fanning body postures. Do I have to spell it out? [face_laugh]

22. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    People keep saying he can't be Malek because of certain problems with his relationship with Revan and what-not: but maybe the people writing the comics got it wrong or are retoconing it. Ever consider that.

Alek?....come on....either come out and call him Malek or give him something totally diffrent......

"So what is your full name."
    "Malek actualy"
    "What's so complicated about that."
    "M isn't a real letter on my homeworld."[face_laugh]

23. james_hewlett

james_hewlett Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 19, 2004
    I'm buying it. I think Alek is Malak. The whole thing about his master having a quick but risky plan to beat the Mando's just cries out Revan. It's either true or we're all meant to believe it and then the big twist happens later, but I for one am going to buy into it. I also like the theory that Demagol switched with Rohlan. It makes a lot of sense. Really enjoying this series. It's gone from strength to strength.

24. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Going by the story so far, John Jackson Miller does not get things wrong.

Heading out tomorrow to pick this suck up; I'll comment further once I've read it.

I always saw Malak as coming from a culture that was either genetically or culturally bald and culturally tattooed, like Rattatak (as a comparison, since he can't come from that planet).

25. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    Saying Alek can't be Malak because of his eye colour is grasping at straws. Luke has different coloured hair in every comic. Maybe that means that sometimes it's not Luke but Luuke! o_O

Let's not forget that Alek is the Sith Lord seen in the prophecy from the first story arc. That makes him one of 6 people - Revan, Malak, Bandon, Treya, Sion, or Nhilus. I think we can all agree that he's not Revan, Treya, or Nhilus. That leaves 3 possibilities: Malak, Bandon, or Sion. I trust we can at least all agree on that much?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.