main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Knights of the Old Republic #14: Days of Fear, part 2 (of 3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Vengance1003, Nov 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz JC Head Admin & Community Manager star 9 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 21, 2002
    I'm loving the pacing of the series, myself.

2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 9 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    It's fairly gnarly logic to manipulate civilisations preference for Just Wars and put your troops near civilians, hoping that they'll not attack for fear of becoming an Unjust War.

Mandalore just didn't play that game.

From their point of view it makes tremendous sense, too.

3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    The biggest difference between Mandalorians and Klingons is the fact that the Mandos have a wide and large disparity in their views of Honor, the Rules of War, and the same. In the case of the Mandalorian Wars, they wanted to provoke the Republic into a response and did so.

Other Mandolorians might find their action reprehensible.

4. cbagmjg

cbagmjg Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2006
    Look Vong333, not every Star Wars story is non-stop action. Alot of those action packed stories are that way because they don't know how to tell a story for ****, so that's how they compensate for it. And the action is way more meaningful when there's less of it. If you don't like it, then don't read it.

5. Corusca_One

Corusca_One Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2005
    I've been playing through KotOR2 again recently and judging by some of the dialog on Nar Shaddaa in the refugee sector should we perhaps be keeping our eyes peeled for a female Jedi General in this one? [face_batting]

Some of the things Atton says and the interactions with the Serroco thugs both seem to suggest that a certain Exiled Jedi is present there during the Mandalorian attack.

6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Serroco! That Serroco!

It's been so long since the fifty quintillion times I've played KOTOR2 that I forgot about Serroco completely! :oops:

Well, now I'm going to enjoy this issue ten times more.

7. Kaje

Kaje Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2005
    Confirmed on the Diamond list for this Wednesday.

8. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    As in, "Some thug threatened to 'space' me" Serroco? If so, tight!

9. Sikon

Sikon Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 29, 2006
    Knowing JJM, the most probable answer is no.

Or there will be an obscure figure who's obviously Exile, but JJM will go his usual "I can't confirm or deny this" routine.

10. Kenobi_Kid

Kenobi_Kid Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2005
    JJM has already shown us the exile. It's Zayne, or will be when the Council catches up with him.

Let the retcons begin!

11. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Zayne has a sex change?

12. Kenobi_Kid

Kenobi_Kid Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2005
    Or the Masters claimed that he was a girl in order to throw disbeleif over the fact that it was actually Zayne they Forcewiped.

13. SephyCloneNo15

Apr 9, 2005
    Okay, they tried to "rehabilitate" Zayne (a la Revan), but he was woefully recognizable as the Padawan Murderer. The Council didn't want him constantly taking shavit for a crime they admit he didn't commit, so he had to undergo heavy cosmetic surgery to become the Exile we all know and love...

14. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Zayne in drag?

Sounds like an idea Gryph would come up with... to make money.

15. SephyCloneNo15

Apr 9, 2005
    Gryph has Zayne disguise himself as a certain female Jedi General?

My God! JJM, if you're reading this, that has to be included in a future KOTOR story. I will love you this much if you include that: [:D]

16. Sikon

Sikon Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 29, 2006
    Where are the spoilers?

17. Kaje

Kaje Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2005
    Patience. Spoilers have to wait until people actually get the thing, and in my experience most comic stores don't open until 9am-noon.

18. SephyCloneNo15

Apr 9, 2005
    And even then, those of us with school/work don't get down there 'til 3, 5, 7 whathaveyou

19. Kaje

Kaje Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2005
    Got it, read it, he's the scoop.

HK-24 decides to cut off Jarael's hands if she won't let go of Camper, as Camper can't be harmed. Elbee sneaks up on HK and throws him into a wall. HK suggests Elbee dump himself into a trash compactor ("Fifth-class drone. Moron. Suggestion: Load self into garbage chute. Activate.") and shoots him, disabling the loader droid. Jarael manages to damage HK with a length of chain, but HK catches the chain, eliminating the threat. Then Jarael is magically saved by... Rohlan! He destroys the droid, and he tells them he's been hidden on board since Flashpoint, waiting for a chance to leave the ship and start life anew

Meanwhile, in our other story, a republic ship lands nimbly on a planet near the Mandalorian front. A damn good pilot nicknamed "Fleet", exits and meets up with some other dude. They go over to the eating area. Gryph is host, Slyssk is the cook, and Zayne's doing dishes... with the Force. Then we finally get to this issue's preview. Zayne, while wearing a hat and goggles to hide his features, has to see to a problem with a serving droid that dumped a drink on a soldier. Admiral Karath shows up and doesn't do anything. Fleet makes friends with Zayne, introducing himself as Carth Onasi. Zayne says the camp is set up too close to the Stereb cities, and Carth sort of just shrugs it off, as it's the army's business, not his. Zayne sees a Stereb looking through the trash, and gives him a free meal. Zayne's a good guy. Carth tells a lil story about his previous time on this planet, harassing the natives, until he met them and it didn't seem funny anymore. Then he mentions that the Mandos should be arriving tomorrow. And apparently the reason the camp is so close to the cities is because Mandos don't like to ruin the spoils of war. Carth pays for his meal and for the Stereb's, and leaves.

Later, Zayne suggests to Gryph that they try to leave. Gryph disagrees because he's greedy. Soon, Zayne's sitting around and begins to sense something. People talking. About the camp's defense. It's without honor. Let them burn. There's a bunch of huge kriffing explosions! But, oh, apparently it was just a dream. He goes to Gryph again about leaving, we learn that the planet is Serroco. Zayne tells him about the vision and says that he has to warn Admiral Karath. Dun dun dun.

20. Commander5052

Commander5052 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2005
    All right! 'Bout bloody time he showed up.:D

21. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    You rock Kaje. :cool:

22. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 9 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Spoils of war?

Sounds like the Republic doesn't understand the Mandalorians. Much like the New Republic didn't understand the Yuuzhan Vong.

Not to draw comparisons between the two foes, but I liked that aspect of the NJO; the sheer glub of information meaning the New Republic simply couldn't win until they understood their enemy.

Apart from that...it sounds a little slow-paced.

Zayne and Karath are truly going to have an interesting chat, I can tell.

I wonder if there meeting will somehow relate to Karath's eventual decision to join the Sith...

23. cbagmjg

Jul 12, 2006
    I'm telling you that's not Rohlan. Rohlan was so adament about finding the truth behind the Mando's tactics. This man is talking about shedding his armor and leaving. Also, Rohlan's heard their names(especially Jarael's) a few times, yet he calls her Jarayne and has to ask of Camper's as well. He also knows that it's called a "Camper Specials", though has to be reminded after he calls it a traveling compartment. Plus, when asked about Mando's being trained in first aid, he replies "Certainly I--" then pauses and changes his statement. Demagol would know how to heal Camper.

And I think the reason he hasn't escaped the box until now is because Elbee has been laying on it.

24. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    You have no idea how much I'm hoping this is the truth. :D

25. cbagmjg

Jul 12, 2006
    It would definately make the story more interesting. Imagine Rohlan facing the Jedi council as Demagol and the only ones that can prove your innocence are wanted criminals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.