main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Knights of the Old Republic #15: Days of Fear, part 3 (of 3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by wild_karrde, Dec 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005
    I don't know, Darth Bane Path of Destruction: A Novel of the Old Republic had events that were based on a comic series and they completely blew it. It would appear to me that the Novel writers think they are better than the silly comic writers and disregard an established storyline.

Carnage

2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    A thought, and please forgive the minor intro:

Ok, at long last, I got a hold of the last TPB in the Marvel series. Some may say that a Marvel a day can well cause sanity issues. I can personally atest that twenty within the span of a few hours causes shortness of breath, clouded vision, dry mouth, and permanant brain damage.

Anyway, I don't think it would be too crazy to guess that Jarael is part Nagai. Not only does she look the part, she acts like one at times, too. Not only that, I'd bet Demagol's one, as well. All this time I thought the Nagai looked like Darth Nihl. But about 75% of the Nagai in the Marvel books looked like San Hill with a purple mohawk. Not only that, they were obsessed with science and testing on other species to learn about them. Den Siva even acted like Demagol. Also, the Nagai are a lot tougher than the Muuns we've seen, which could explain why Demagol was able to lift Camper in issue #14 without breaking a sweat. Finally, it would explain why Demagol's so interested in Jarael's ears.

If what I posted makes absolutely no sense... please forgive me. I'm starting to see pink Ken dolls and big green pirates wherever I look... 8-}

3. RebelGrrl

RebelGrrl Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2006
    Hey, I like those pink ken dolls! ;)

But since Arkanians, Jarael's stock species, likes to mix things up, they could have introduced Nagai traits into her lineage. I don't know why, as it really doesn't take genetics to be ruthless, knife-weilding, and ready to fight. But I agree it's possible.

4. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    It might seem that it does, if you're an Arkanian.

On the other hand though, we've already seen a Nagai in KotOR in the person of one of Zayne's now deceased fellow Padawans, unless I'm horribly mistaken...

5. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The Padawan named Gharn was a Nagai, according to KOTOR #0.

6. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    Ah. Thanks.

7. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    Seems like to Arkanian eyes everything is an aspect of genetics. "You're having a bad day? There's genetic surgery for that!"

8. IronGoldie

IronGoldie Jedi Master star 1

Oct 15, 2006
    Ha... I'm not the only person who started thinking this. Her ears look like Nagai ears. And Demagol as a Nagai is interesting.... I guess i just want more Nagai in my Star Wars comics. What a cool species.

9. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    Exactly.

10. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Definitely one of the coolest in the whole EU. They're like ninjas... from the 80's. You can't beat that.

Yeah, that little blue kid. He looked like a Chiss without the eyes. Don't know why he wasn't white and Muun-ish like all the other Nagai we've seen.

11. Kaje

Kaje Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2005
    I want a Marvel-style Nagai Force-user who controls people's dreams... named Mor Fyus.

12. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    Nagai are "Muun-ish"?:confused:

13. Corran_Fett

Corran_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2005
    =P~ I dig the name. [face_peace]

In their thin, tall built, maybe. But that's about it.

14. SephyCloneNo15

Apr 9, 2005
    And he's really angsty, but in a good way, not in the way that we all hate, and he's totally got a talking Mynok named Methu who claims to have been a convict in a past life. And he once held a huge banquet to determine to whom he would give the key to Korriban.

15. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    That's pretty much one of the coolest ideas. Ever.

Some of them have elongated foreheads, especially in the earlier issues (not counting their ringleader, Knife, who looks more like Nihl). I'll try to get some pictures up later. They also talk like Muuns (or at least, like Hill).

16. RebelGrrl

RebelGrrl Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2006
    I can think of three reasons.

1. Blue is the Nagai tan. He's just been in the sun too much.
    2. Nagai possibly come in all shades from white to blue, like humans go from pale to dark.
    3. It's damned hard to shade white in comics. Blue is used to tone both black and white, at least a long, long time ago, so you get things like Darth Vader with a bluish cast and every character with black hair has blue hilights. One could use gray, I suppose, but it doesn't seem 'traditional'.

17. SephyCloneNo15

Apr 9, 2005
    I recall reading on the Hulk's wiki entry that he was gonna be gray, but printing gray at the times was iffy for some reason and came out in all sorts of funky shades. That's probably why it's non-traditional.

18. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    The cover is amazing. I look forward to some more Mandie action. :)

19. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
  20. Commander5052

Commander5052 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2005
    Wow. This issue looks to be so good I can ignore the gratuitous video game tie-ins. (Although it's understandable: the series is called KOTOR after all.)

21. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Ooooooh, nice big fleet. I'm happy.

And I can totally hear Carth's voice reading those lines. Excellent stuff.

EDIT: "Gratuitous", CC? Far from it. I've quite liked the way the tie-ins are handled so far. It all feels quite natural.

22. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    I also like how they're using Saul's character. He seemed like a whimp in the game, but Carth always spoke of him as a hero. It seemed as if we were only getting one side of his personality.

We're starting to see another side of it in this series. Hopefully he'll be developed more as time goes on.

23. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Good stuff. I think that the game connections so far have been handled well. This is a nice way to give us a look at the war.

24. Corusca_One

Corusca_One Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2005
    Great preview. I agree i think the references to the KotOR games have been handled well, quite subtlely really. Carth has fit in perfectly and its interesting to see his character expanded upon, same with Karath.

25. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

Yeah, this is a pretty acceptable Video Game tie-in. I mean, it's Carth......if the issue was about Revan single handedly cutting down thousands of Mandos with his lightsaber without breaking a sweat I would say it was included as some kind of "OMG R3V3N is da 133t!1!1!" fan boy pandering. As it is, it is simply a bit of back story on a good Republic Soldier (Whom was given mostly lukewarm reception by the game players) and his senior officer whom he greatly admired but eventually joined the Sith. The scenario is a neat part of the journey and Carth and Karath could be replaced by a generic soldier and admiral, but why do so when you have existing characters that have some more fleshing out that can be done?

I am looking forward to this issue. I'm personally thinking that Zayne never meets the Admiral. He has a "Call" to make yet. That call is probably going to be to the Last Resort and Zayne will entrust the knowledge to Carth and bail out to save his friends.

Carnage

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.