main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Knights of the Old Republic #18: Nights of Anger, part 3 (of 3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rogue_Follower, Mar 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master_Luc

Jedi_Master_Luc Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 28, 2006

But they're slugs! How dangerous is a slug despite its size? They didn't really give any biological facts about the slugs yet, so it could be that their skin secretes cortosis oil or something crazy like that. There's got to be some sort of plausability to how dangerous they are, which i'm patiently waiting for because right now i'm thinking oO(Why not just shoot them with projectile weapons loaded with salt!).

One thing i do like about the KOTOR series thus far is the almost mystical fantasy that surrounds it. It's like Middle Earth meets the EU meets Spider-Man. It's a lot of fun. I do still have questions, but i can wait.

A question, how much time does it take to dissect someone's post sentance by sentance like that? It hardly seems worth it, but when people want to argue...:p

Master Luc

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    They say they can eat starships, can travel through space, and are immortal.

I think bluntly, the eating starships part is what everyone is concerned about.

3. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    Late to the party as always! Finally got my copy.

I loved it. Yeah, so they're crazy space slugs, but the Death Star was a crazy basketball that committed drive-bys on planets. It's space fantasy!

I still feel that there's a wonderful epic good vs evil feel to this whole thing. And it's clearly good vs evil, but there's such brilliant shades of each side. That continues here.

I wish we'd seen more Zayne but I understand why it was plotted this way and finding out more about Adasca's plan was totally worth it; the two page spread of all the dormant space worms was amazing.

Tolibao is probably my least favourite of the three 'regular' illustrators (the others being Ching and Weaver; I'm not sure how work gets divvied up - it seems to be by arc?) simply because his style is a little too anime for me, but here his art shone.

Reading the behind-the-scenes stuff on JJM's blog is always fascinating but it was great to see him address Jarael's trust of Adasca following previous characterisation that made her seem a little wary of strangers. He makes an excellent point that she's now been treated well and respectfully by Zayne, Squint and Rohlan (even if partly that was as Rohlagol and an act?) and seemingly Adasca. It's getting under her guard. I very much look forward to seeing what that does for her character.

I've always thought Jarael was a great visual design and a potentially interesting character, but we haven't seen in her anything like the beautiful complexities of Zayne. Well, hey, she's not the main character. But I'm really looking forward to delving deeper into her psychology. After his work with Zayne I have every confidence in the writer.

The plot continues to develop and I still have that overpowering sense of impending doom as we hurtle towards the games but no idea how it's all going to fall into place.

I know others have already thrown in their five cents regarding Adasca's motivations in James Bond Villain revealing the plot to Jarael. Personally I think he's telling her because he actually wants her to be on his side. I mean, as he says - when there's no one around to act for - there's something so "pureblooded" about her for an offshoot. The guy is genuinely interested in her - twisted though that interest might be.

I don't know if anyone here's seen Rabbit-Proof Fence? It's a film set in early 20th Century Australia when the government used to basically kidnap half-white half-aboriginal kids from their parents and send them to orphanages so they wouldn't be raised by aboriginals. The villain of the piece - and it's based on historical fact - wants to "solve" the issue by marrying these kids off to white men and women, so that their kids would be less black, and their grandkids less black than that, etc., until you can't tell anymore. And he was deeply and genuinely committed to this idea because he thought it was a morally right - and what's more a compassionate solution.

Anyway, Adasca totally reminds me of him. I completely believe his waffling about how his species is in pain, and that in his mind, all he wants is to reunite them; heal them. I think he offered Jarael that genetic "solution" for her own kids believing she'd genuinely be grateful.

He bragged about how he was going to restore the Arkanians to glory believing she'd be genuinely impressed.

Also - Charlie - I think you might well be right about Jarael being some uberkid that Camper picked up on the way out of Adascorp. Her comments about how she got to play dress up a lot growing up because the Last Resort was parked on a clothing warehouse, suggests she's been with Camper since she was quite young. And it would give an interesting meaning to her original Arkanian name - Edessa - which means "triumph".

It's so gratifying to be able to look forward to a comic and really believe you'll finish it and want to write a glowing review.

4. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Blog?

Someone clue me in here?

5. QuinineVos

QuinineVos Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2005
    I reread portions of the issue, and I think I understand why Adasca let it all out with Jarael now; he has nothing to lose anymore. Frankly, he was forced into this position by "Rohlan," who wants to take Jarael with him. He knows that Rohlan will tell Jarael that Camper has recovered and that Adascorp is deceiving her if he doesn't see signs that Adasca plans on releasing Jarael. Therefore, he has three options: kill "Rohlan," which would be pointless, as it would surely arouse Jarael's suspicions. 2) Kill Jarael, which he can't do a) because he needs her alive long enough for Camper to do his work and b) because he is interested in her scientifically and perhaps romantically. Option three is to take Jarael forcibly prisoner, thus isolating her from contact with Rohlan, and for that reason there is no longer any point to the deception.

I'll wait and see 'til the next ish. but that makes sense to me.

Edit: Oh, and Charles, JJM's blog where he writes production note for all the KOTOR issues can be found here:

http://www.farawaypress.com/Default.aspx?tabid=91

6. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    Beaten to it!

And interesting theory about Adasca's motivations, Quinine.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see... *on tenterhooks*

7. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I think it's important to realize that anyone as powerful, rich, and intelligent as Lord Adasca has to show off. People complain about Bond movie speeches but it's actually a documented fact that men of power want to talk about their accomplishments. In addition to genuinely being corrupted to selling over state secrets, a lot of reasons that Intelligence services employ mistresses is the fact that quite a few like to brag about what they've accomplished.

In the case of Jarael, he finally has a captive audience that he thinks will be impressed by the fact he's about to become the most powerful man in the galaxy. Either he's going to build an Arkanian Empire by allying with the Mandalorians or he intends to make the Arkanians the greatest power in the galaxy by allying with the Republic and having their "big gun."

I think he's definitely attracted to Jarael but its a sick, sick, sick attraction that's sort of like the Nazi Commandant in a certain movie starring Qui Gon Jinn. Suffice to say, nature can tell you what's beautiful and attractive even when it's against your putrient beliefs.

Edit---Thanks you two!

8. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    Pun intended?

9. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Very much so.

:)

Let's face it, Goldfinger aside who lets a secret agent within killing distance of him, most of Bond's taunters are pretty helpless.

They obviously don't know he's capable of improbable acts of action herodom.

10. Matthew78

Matthew78 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 16, 2006
    These Exogorth's are very similar to Space Grazers maybe just a much smaller version of them, and they appear to be dominating the next three issues as well, they are a controllable plague and a menace in waiting and that is very bad,this whole story arc is devoted to them according to the summaries i have read on Darkhorsecomics.com, imagine if Palpatine or Darth Revan got their hands on the Exogorths that would be a disaster, especially if they used Sith Alcemy to make them like nearly unstoppable killing machines like the annoying Hyss creatures on Korriban in KOTOR2:TSL, those things were bad enough but to empower exogorths would be very bad.

11. cbagmjg

cbagmjg Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2006
    Kind of like Richard Dreyfuss in What About Bob?.[face_dancing] I know, he's not really evil, but does talk about his book alot. I watched it yesterday and your comment reminded me of it.

12. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Yeah, I did that for weeks after my book came out too. It's important to remember a lot of people do stuff against their self-interests for sex, money, and ego. Even when they realize its stupid to do it.

I can't imagine what it must have been for Palpatine. He must have kept a torture chamber for Jedi. Either that or Sate Pestage and Ars Dangor existed solely to dress up in Jedi robes so he could cackle at them.

;-)

13. cbagmjg

cbagmjg Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2006
    I'm sure you did it to help sell your book. He did it to make himself sound important.

14. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    No, I admit I was just too beaming to notice I was being a jackass.

"Hey, did you know I'm an author?"

15. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    I mentioned that I was underwhelmed by this arc earlier. I really enjoyed this conclusion, though. Arkoh becomes a lot more defined character, the plot becomes more than vague mysterious happenings and cryptic comments, and events feel like they're moving towards something again.

I really like how casual Arkoh's racism is. It's not some big deal he makes, it's just such an integral part of his world view that, like Charles says, it has a way of coming out. Arkoh's whole personality is very well realized; it's a nice mix between charming, refined noble and nasty bastard.

Line of the issue: "This is the worst dinner I've ever had." The small lettering used there cracks me up.

That two-page spread of the exogorths was incredible. I think I swore when I opened it up. :p Interesting to get a backstory on these things, and I love the name. When JJM said that it was something people probably never thought to wonder about, I didn't expect this, but by gum, he was right. I just took the space slugs for granted, but this adds some interesting new wrinkles to them, and will probably add more before the story is over. And while they were the last thing I'd expect for Camper's big secret, I really like it, and I'm curious to see where this is going.

16. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    I actually like what he did with the space slugs. I was dubious before I read it, but I think he succeeded in making them a convincing threat. An unstoppable plague of kilometer long worms would be perfect for a space horror story.

Also, it helps that they're now called exogorths. Lovecraftian FTW. :p

17. QuinineVos

QuinineVos Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2005
    Is it just me or does the cover bring "misleading" to a whole new level? :p

18. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
  19. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    So you could say it brings misleading back to an old level. ;)

According to JJM's blog, Colin Wilson got a summary that just said Jarael was his prisoner, so he interpreted it very literally.

I forgot to mention how much I liked the news page. Nice continuity touches with Kebla Yurt and Cassus Fett. I'll be interested to see more of Fett, since he's still pretty much a mystery at this point.

20. Commander5052

Commander5052 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2005
    Has Dark Horse said when the TPB of this arc and the one before it is coming out?

21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    At this point, no earlier than November.

22. MASTER_JEDI_AS_REK

MASTER_JEDI_AS_REK Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 30, 2004
    Am I the only one who thinks:

Lord Adaska using these Exogorths as some kind of super weapon to take control of the galaxy a retarded plot point? I mean he made them sound almost indestructible. If my memory serves me correctly didn't Han Solo shot one of these things in on its innards in ESB with a hand blaster and that seemed to cause it serious discomfort at best. If a hand blaster can upset it that much imagine what a capital ship with a fully armed battery of turbo lasers would do to it. It just seems kinda lame.

Does anyone else agree or disagree?

23. Darth_Shpydar

Darth_Shpydar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 31, 2006
    I can see where you're coming from. But i think the exogorths are really tangential to the story -- almost a MacGuffin Device, to get all our main characters in one place at one time, create conflict and allow for some mysteries to be answered -- especially as it seems the exogorth situation never becomes a serious major threat (unless there's going to be some retconning going on).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.