main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Knights of the Old Republic #19: Daze of Hate, part 1 (of 3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by wild_karrde, Apr 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kicker

Kicker Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 9, 2007
    speaking of "doin' it for me" ^^

did anyone happen to notice eejee checking out Jarael's @$$?

2. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    "I didn't know on offshoot could be such an asset in the diplomacy department...in my pants!"

3. Commander5052

Commander5052 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2005
    No, but I don't really blame him! :p

4. Delighted_Dobby

Delighted_Dobby Jedi Youngling

Aug 12, 2007
    Ugh, not a fan of the new artists. Zayne looks so different from the early issues that it's unsettling, even in the bone structure of his face (his jawline is really weird now).

5. Kicker

Kicker Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 9, 2007
    oh no! :eek:

cood it be!?

Rohlan >
    Alek <> Jarael <> Zayne > Shel
    Adasca >
    Eejee>

[face_praying]

6. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    If Alek is Malak - and it looks likely - I hope it doesn't lead to everyone calling him "Malek" all the time. I mean, Malak is a Sith Lord, whereas Malek is the last of the Sarafan Sorcerer Priests and Guardian of... uh, ignore me.

I still love the suggestion that "Alek" said "Malak", but Jarael misheard over the roar of the engines.

I also need to get this damned issue already. Signing off.

7. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    I was going to say that he introduces himself as Alek to Adasca. But looking at it, he says "I'm Alek," which might be an incredibly clever line if read in the right way. Of course then I noticed Jarael calls him "Alek" to his face later, and he doesn't say anything, so I could be on a wild goose chase.

8. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    I still say Alek = Malak and Evan = Revan.

Oh, and Brandon = Bandon.

9. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    "I Malak, you Jane?"

10. RedXIV

RedXIV Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 23, 2004
    I wasn't at all surprised by that.

Lucien might be a ruthless guy who's slipped toward the dark side without even noticing, but he still thinks of himself first and foremost as a protector of the Republic. A weapon like this is by its very existence a grave threat to the Republic.

11. Sikon

Sikon Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 29, 2006
    Of course. And "What would Alek do?" could imply that he's a certain Doctor Who species.

12. SephyCloneNo15

Apr 9, 2005
    [face_laugh]

13. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    when is the series going to show some action in it? Don't get me wrong, I like it, but .......soke action would really break the monontamy

14. SephyCloneNo15

Apr 9, 2005
    Well, let's see....
    Superweapon for sale to the highest bidder? Check
    Enemies forced together in a relatively small area? Check
    Assassin Droids? Check
    Alterior motives? Check
    Megalomaniacs? Check, check, check, and check (that's one check each for Karath, Mandalor, Lucien, and Adasca)
    Zayne's friends in trouble? Check
    Gryph around for guaranteed comic relief in case things get too ugly? That we're still waiting on.
    Wrongfully imprisoned Zayne? Check.

Action should be coming veeeery soon.

15. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

There has been a decent amount of action in the series....

Commencement had Jedi vs. Jedi/Scoundrel chase action as well as Jarael, Camper, and Gryph trashing the Jedi Temple on Taris.
    Next we saw a Mando ground assault taking place.
    We got to see Zayne and friends brawl with Rohlan.
    Zayne and friends demolished a Mandalorian base.
    Uhm, The Moomoo brothers beat each other up.
    The Mandos Nuked Serraco.
    The Mandos trashed the Courageous battle fleet...nearly killing the Admiral and Carth
    Jarael, the HK, and Elbee beat up on each other before Rohmegal blew the HK to pieces.
    Some crazy Arkanian found some creatures that will eat capital ships for lunch (Literally...) and is trying to use them to leverage Arkania and himself to power.
    Zayne is tied back to back with his former master whom wants to kill him.

The thing is, the series isn't necessarily a story about the Mandolorian wars and the rise of Revan. It's about Zayne, his friends, and his enemies and happens to be set with the war as it's backdrop. With that in mind, we've seen some pretty heavy action thus far. Issue 7 had some pretty busy battle shots.

I actually like how it is story driven with the action in the background.

16. Kenobi_Kid

Kenobi_Kid Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2005
    Off topic slightly, but do you hear a specific voice when reading the characters dialogue? I keep picturing Lord Adasca with a french accent and Gryph always has the voice of Jason Alexander.

17. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    I think they'd play with it... I imagine it like this:

Jarael: I love you.
    Zayne: Huh? [face_laugh]

To be honest, I already got the impression from the farewell in issue 13, plus I always assume that something like that gets set up when a series includes a male and a female hero...

Exactly. The clones refer to Obi-Wan as Master Kenobi, for example, and I guess they aren't regular padawans. OK, I made this comparison for the fun of it, but remember that little guy calling Anakin "Master Skywalker"...

Wrong... Hood = Revan (start reading in the lower half). As in Revan Hood! [face_peace]

Well, if the covenant discussion in Homecoming didn't give enough proof, I guess you can still nitpick that Alek never mentions that he only has one master (and so his master from 15 and 19 must be the same), or that his master is still busy somewhere else "wearing a hood".

As for the whole Malak/Alek stuff - why are we even still talking about it? The same for Revan. But I guess Sidious was really a clone of Palpatine, as it would have been too obvious otherwise...

I can only wonder what this comic would have looked like if the game (or another source afterwards) had already given a definitve identity and look for Revan. I doubt we'd seen so many hoods.

As for the slugs... I think it's not improbable that by the end of the arc, one of the beasts is flying away and finally finds a new home near a planet called Hoth (maybe not too far from Omonoth)... though I guess we won't see the home-finding part "onscreen". [face_thinking]

18. SephyCloneNo15

Apr 9, 2005
    The Sidious we see in the PT probably was a clone, until Leland Chee had to go and retcon that line in DE as a lie.

19. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    where are the lasers? the starship battles? the jedi and sith with the mandalorians dooking it out? why are the lightsaber colors like the prequels? Ain't this a different era where all the colors are available like both of the KOTOR video games and the Tales of the Jedi Comics? I like the build-up, but the action is what I don't see, too many allusions. The big beasts, the supposed destruction of Taris, but we only see a few pages and hardly no action. What gives? The first five issue of Rebellion were very good. They had a lot of stuff, whats happended to this series?

20. SephyCloneNo15

Apr 9, 2005
    As for the Lightsaber colors, the vast majority of Jedi probably stuck with the whichever of the three class-specific colors for the style of Jedi they ended up. Ergo, blue, yellow, and green. Funky colors probably only showed up in special circumstances (needing to build a new 'saber, swapping for a crystal with sentimental value etc.)

21. Xal

Xal Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2006
    I can't stand this, guys. I went tk Barnes & Nobles again and STILL didn't see this! I can't find it!

22. SephyCloneNo15

Apr 9, 2005
    Maybe you need to find a real comic shop....

23. MandoJedi

MandoJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 25, 2007
    I've read the issue 19 today. It's great! :D

24. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Yeah, this was a good one.

I'm a bit ashamed I never made the Rohlan/Demagol connection before coming here. I did wonder about his sudden interest in Jarael back on Flashpoint that carried over later, but I figured Rohlan had his own purpose. As soon as I see that theory the hints are everywhere! It'll be interesting to see the truth about that.

More immediately, I can't wait for this next issue to come out. Things seem ready to escalate.

25. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    [face_plain] Ugh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.