main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Knights of the Old Republic #38: Faithful Execution

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Carlis, Nov 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Hm, not much happened in this issue, yet at the same time, a lot of progress on various threads.

Wow! We meet the Corellian Strangler after all this time! And boy, is he short. Wow, gotta love how a minor element in the bounty hunting holonet extra leads to this issue years later. I should really dig out some of those old issues one of these days.

Anyway, Kenobi_Kid's summary is pretty good, but just to add, the Strangler "recognizes something in you (Jarael)- but that's impossible!". So now, not only is Jarael's past still mysterious, but apparently a Sith adept recognizes something in her, something he's glad to be rid of. So apparently, whatever is so special about Jarael is not just that she's Force-sensitive, now she could be linked to some old Sith project? This just gets stranger and stranger. Oh well, still another great way to link this series to the Sith War.

A nice quick one-issue story, they bring a criminal to justice, although sad to see Zayne lose another lightsaber duel, but considering the gap in experience, that's to be expected I guess. And unlike Haazen, this crazy Bimm was actually a member of the Sith, not just a last-minute traitor like Haazen was. But still, Zayne was pretty nice to Elbee for most of the issue, and its cute how Zayne's sorta taken Elbee into his confidence, by telling him that he's keeping a secret as well. Although the "Rohlan" plot thread has been running for a long while, hope they finally answer that eventually, and that sooner or later Zayne wonders if maybe someone took Rohlan's armor.... Although Zayne still hasn't killed anyone, directly or indirectly, but honestly, this is the kind of opponent that its best not to leave alive. Poor droid though, it stayed loyal to its master. Nice to see Elbee up and about again, though Slyssk has gone back to being cowardly, but then again, maybe for his sake that's better (what with all the dangers they're likely to run into).

Not bad art, not my favorite artist, but definitely high quality, and all the characters look pretty nice, and good depiction of the craziness of the Corellian Strangler. I'm still amazed that a background character like that actually showed up. Although that makes me miss the Holonet broadcast more, so that we could've examined those things for even more possible hints for future storylines.

2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    This story sounds completely badass. I must get it immediately.

And the title is an excellent play on words. The Strangle's executing folks and tries to execute Jarael, "Rohlan"'s executing the Strangler, Elbee is "executing" the crap out of Zayne...

3. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    I have a very unlikely theory: What if this former Sith Acolyte didn't recognize Jarael to be a part of some Sith project from the Great Sith War - after all, he still wanted to revenge the defeat, and thus would have no obvious reason to react like he did - but that he recognized in her similarity to someone who he had once known? After all, relatives have similar Force signatures, don't they? And who could drive a former Sith acolyte in such a rage? I'm thinking the logical answer is the Sith Lord who we know, thanks to DE, had offspring somehow: Ulic Qel-Droma, who betrayed Exar Kun. And this relationship would explain why Jarael doesn't want to explain anything about her past even to Zayne.

It doesn't mean that there wouldn't be some Sith modifications in her, of course. Demagol might well have known Ulic personally during the war and could even have some connection to her birth or creation. He has been active for some time and might have been able to work with the Sith during the Great Sith War, considering his interest towards the Force.

4. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Best stand alone issue of Knights of the Old Republic ever! Really great art. I loved the art. Great story told well. Very touching issue. I wasn't a huge fan of the last two issues but this was great. It reminds me why I'd have trouble not buying this comic.

5. Ackbar_Van_Gungan

Ackbar_Van_Gungan Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    The problem is that typically, any 3 issues following a big reveal (like KOTOR #35 or Vector #12) are blurbed before the big reveal is actually released. In order to prevent spoiling the reveal, you either have to give as vague of information as possible or write issues unrelated to the reveal. We are getting 3 transition issues before setting up the next big arc. I just wish that we would figure out what was going on with Jarael and Rohlan already...

-The Rebel Gungan

6. goraq

goraq Jedi Youngling star 4

May 15, 2008
    No message.

7. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Excellent issue. The Corellian Strangler was certainly a thread that I had assumed was just a throwaway thing, so it's pretty nice to see it brought back up here. And making him a Sith Alcolyte, too, which I didn't see coming. I just figured the guy would be a good jumper.

I really liked the art in this one, which really added to the mood and atmosphere of the story. It's a shame that it has to be so short due to the medium, but as a one shot it's pretty well done. Also good to see Slyssk and Elbee get some story time. It'll be good to see them developed as time goes on.

In either case, I liked this one quite a bit more than the last arc.

8. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    This issue sounds awesome. :D

9. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    This was a really, really great issue. I have no complaints about it, unlike the last three issues. The last two were a drag; this one was quite interesting. Dean Zachary's art was fantastic. Better than Ching and maybe on par if not better than Weaver. Not cartoony at all. Hopefully he'll be returning to do some more issues, though I'm glad to see Ching will be back again. KOTOR had lost me for a few months (no Lucien=Sion, rushed ending to Vindication, two relatively boring issues), but now the KOTOR greatness is back. Suddenly looking forward to the next issues again, especially #40. =D=

10. JohnJacksonMiller

JohnJacksonMiller Mastermind: KOTOR, LTotS, Knight Errant star 3 VIP

May 24, 2005
    Notes on the issue are up, and I also realized I hadn't done notes yet for the Vector trade, or, egad, Volume 4. There is not much to say on the latter two because of only a small number of revisions -- though if you haven't read my notes on Volume 4 or the individual issues yet, there's a fun little challenge: Find the one thing that's changed, visually in the comics, from the original comics to the version that's in the trade. It's a very small thing, but there was a good reason for doing it, both continuity and story-related.

(No telling, you folks who already know...)

11. Wordslinger

Wordslinger Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 5, 2009
    Really enjoyed the issue. I had forgotten about the corellian strangler, and was surprised on how he wasn't corellian. He was a Bimm, which was cool, cause there was no way he should have possibly been able to strangle all those people right? Wrong. He was a BA sith Bimm, complete with a Yoda-saber! My favorite parts of the issue was when they found Slyssk choking to death, and Jarael looks over her shoulder at Rohlan who was just leaning in the door way with his arms crossed over his chest just looking on and not caring. Then Jarael pleading with him to help and he was still sorta reluctant. But he helps by whipping out his knife and going for Slyssks throat and Zayne tried to stop him because he was unsure of his intentions. That and the the little heart to heart between Rohlan and Zayne just before the end of the issue.

It almost seems that in his "early retirement"(best line in the issue, by the way) Zaynes weapon of choice has become the blaster. Every time he enters a room, he does it guns blazing...so uncivilized.

Also really liked Dean Zachary's art this issue. Can't wait for Dueling Ambitions.

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Wow- loved the issue. At first, the issue seemed like it'd be the advertised "Elbee gone bad" notion which didn't grab me, but they worked up an interesting mystery (kept making you change your mind on if it was the droid or the Bimm and back and forth) and I really loved the artwork. I don't even remember the Corellian Strangler thing, but thats a neat connection now that it's been pointed out.

Also- we have a new "YEEP!" [face_laugh] (or, rather, a "YEEEEEEEP!")

[image=http://www.denimfilms.com/shared/KOTOR-yeep.jpg]

:D

Poor Slyysk, though- he lost his mojo already! :(

13. Manisphere

Aug 25, 2007
    That's cool about the Corellion Strangler. I don't remember the mention but I'm planning to reread Flashpoint anyway so I'll check it out.

Poor Slyssk. I love the way he was handled this issue. I really felt for the guy. He's becoming a real favorite. And I've been waiting to get back to Elbee and his depression. He's honestly one of the most interesting droids conceived. The Jarael stuff was fascinating of course. That'll keep me tuned in.

The issue was a lot more poignant than most of the EU stuff I've read lately. It sort of reminded me of a story from the last few issues of Tales. It really stood on it's own in that regard. I thought it interesting to take Gryph out of the picture this issue. With his absence the issue felt a little weightier. Don't get me wrong. I love The Gryph but this changed the tone entirely. Again, excellent.

14. Kenobi_Kid

Kenobi_Kid Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2005
    It will be nice to see Grpyh again in the next arc though, and hopefully Shel too, finally. I'm sure you know best JJM, but I've been waiting since Vindication to find out where and what our favorite little blonde is up to.

15. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    I think it?s been said, but I?ll say it again ? best KOTOR one shot ever!

I really liked the scary-movie feel and twists in the action on almost every page. The furry, little Bimm was adorable ? and that he turned out to be a homicidal Sith? [face_laugh] Brilliant! The droid-to-droid ?we?re from the same plant? talk was fun. And even if it was a stand alone, we?ve got all kinds of new questions now:

What is Rohlan?s deal? Seriously. He all but threatened Zayne?s life if Zayne can?t protect Jarael for him?

The Sith sensed something in Jarael that was ?impossible??

And Zayne did something on vacation that he can?t talk about and even Gryph won?t approve of?

Dude. [face_hypnotized]

The art was great!! I hope Dean gets to draw more in the future. :D

16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    My review posted elsewhere:

Star Wars: KOTOR 38: This is an object lesson in how to do a complete story and advance all manner of subplots at the same time. And the art - Zachery is a new name to me, but DHC ought to keep hold of him as his visuals are excellent. Excellent work by all involved.

17. saberscot

saberscot Jedi Youngling

Oct 28, 2008
    hello All,

Wonderful one shot. I loved the art. I loved the plot. This really putt things in perspective. Nice to see Elbee up and running. Have to admit didn't see a Sith Assassin entering the equation, but it was a wonderful twist. The story puts fuel on the fire to say that Rolhan is Demegol, and Jarael is turning into a mystery.( I will admit I am hoping for some Zayne/Jarael Relationship). Had a thought of what the assassin was pointing to. I don't know how to do the block, so I apologize in advance. One person thought that Jarael might be Ulic child, but I was wondering if she could be an Offshoot of Ulic Master? Can't remember his name but it leapt into my mind. After all Jarael true name mean Victory.

Anyway, Its nice to see Zayne trying to find his way in the galaxy. Of course its a misfit. I still believe he is working for the Order, like a shadow. JJM will we ever see Zayne become proficient in the lightsaber? I thought he did better in this battle but was taken out quickly. ( though I wonder what his form will be). But while I saw the plot advanced, but surely we can see Zayne skills advance as well. Unless there is a reason for it, which I hope to see soon.

But otherwise wonderful Story JJM. Once again you did wonders for us, and the next arc is going to be interesting. I wonder what Jarael training is going to be like? With Zayne as an instructor, its going to be interesting.

Saberscot

18. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    For some reason I'm coming around to the idea that Rohmagol is also an Arkanian offshoot. I don't know where I got it but in the scene where he lounges around while Zayne attempts to save Slyssk and only Jarael jolts him into action makes me think that. I know he wants to protect her, obstaniously for her "Force mystery" the fact that he jumped into action when she asked him to makes me think there's something else going on. I don't think it's romance because I think Rohmagol is incapable of it, but it would make sense if he was an offshoot as well.

19. Manisphere

Aug 25, 2007
    Well, we know "Rohmagol" isn't human. He makes a derisive remark about humans during, I think, Turnabout.

20. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    Brilliant issue. Absolutely brilliant. I was spoiled going in, and I still really loved the way it played out. I also rather like the art - some of the best we've seen. I liked the Zayne look and the Jarael look a lot.

Rohmagol. *sigh* I am ready for this to get resolved, but I think we're heading in that direction. Given the "humans" remark, it's pretty obvious that he's not Rohlan, since Rohlan was fully human, if it wasn't before, and everything keeps pointing farther that direction.

Which brings up the rather interesting plot point of what Zayne et al. will do about the real Rohlan when they find out. Can we say prison break issues? :D

21. Manisphere

Aug 25, 2007
    Question: I never bring up the KotOR games as I've never played them but could the Sith Bimm have recognized Jarael as a future game character? I got the feeling that the Bimm recognized darkness in her rather than light. Otherwise he wouldn't have been taken aback by some Force adept.

22. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    There isn't a game character who is in any way similar to Jarael, and none of the masked characters could be her either. Since the next game - if you even want to call it as that - plays a few centuries later, I'd say it's extremely unlikely.

Would be a bit weird to build up a character in one medium and then use a different one for the continuation of her story. Would be a bit unfair to those who don't play games (or just no MMOs).

23. Vrook_Lamar

Vrook_Lamar Jedi Padawan star 4

May 12, 2008
    The only game characters are the obvious ones:

Karath, Onasi, the Vaos, the Hidden Beks, Revan, Malak, etc

and Sion and Nihilus from KotOR 2 who are both male and may or may nor appear or have already done so. eg "ultimate tradgedy of integrity slaying" Zayne=Nihilus fans. Or "We didn't get the message" Lucien-Sion fans.

24. JohnJacksonMiller

JohnJacksonMiller Mastermind: KOTOR, LTotS, Knight Errant star 3 VIP

May 24, 2005
    In-universe, we imagined that Zayne would have some trouble fighting in the galley, an awkward location with plenty of weapons in there for an opponent willing to fight dirty. And then fighting a smaller opponent was pretty far out of Zayne's training.

Out of universe, I would have happily given the fight more space, but when it's a done-in-one story, there aren't a lot to spare without cranking up the panel density elsewhere (or chucking elements). Sometimes I can look at an issue and say, yeah, those two pages could have been combined -- not so much this time.

25. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    I've considered this. It does rather make sense. And if it is true, then it would mean that Nights of Anger contained a bit of foreshadowing...
    Adasca: "Well, Rohalan, you've caused quite a stir with my people in your short time here. You seem to have an affinity for medicine."

Rohmagol: "A hobby. I like to learn."

Adasca: "Unusual -- and I should say, very Arkanian of you."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.