main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD Known Issue - Pages that won't load

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Mar 21, 2015.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    A few months back when the servers for my job kept intermittently going down, they had to move all the data - all of it to new hardware storage. Haven't had a problem since. Since we're all using different operating systems and browsers, makes me think the host servers need a tune-up. [face_nail_biting]

jcgoble3 and Ewok Poet like this.
  2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Not a lot of tuning we can do at this point - we are on hosted servers. Grahame (server person) has done some but is limited in what he can do.

3. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I guess only the tech admin can tell us how the site is hosted - I would assume it's on VPS, as no shared hosting can take something of this volume.

I think the database needs optimisation and some table repair, but once again, I have no idea if there's a cron job handling it on regular or semi regular schedule.

EDIT: LAJ_FETT - there you are. Any idea on this?

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    As I said, we're limited in what we can do given that it's a hosted server. I agree that it's not an ideal situation for boards of our size but it's what we have for now. I emailed Grahame earlier about the issue but haven't heard back from him. I probably won't now today since I'm about to go offline for the evening.

5. SabyneAmberle

SabyneAmberle Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 16, 2004
    Anyone else having problems getting to their content page? I'm on Chrome, and when I go to click on the 'Your Content' link under my username in the upper-left corner, it refuses to pull it up. I've even refreshed it numerous times. No dice. D=

6. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    We've had a few people's most recent posts not pull up and it seems to be people who have posted in the affected post not loading areas. (So say posts 21-30 aren't loading and you posted something in those, since the pages aren't loading, your most recent posts/your content also isn't loading because whatever it is that is making it happen is effecting that as well.)

7. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    jcgoble3 likes this.
  8. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    +1

It took me 12 tries earlier today to refresh it and then I tried to scroll to a particular author, but naaaah.

9. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I actually had this thread fail to load.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  10. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, I couldn't get to page 1 a little while ago. Retries didn't work.

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Is the loading issue happening in Lit? SW TV? Fan Art? etc.? Or just in the fanfiction side?

12. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    It is happening elsewhere but FanFic seems to be affected more.

13. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Heh. I just had the best of the best. The search function gave me a blank page of death, and after refreshing a dozen times to no avail, I started again from the central page and it worked. #armaggedon

14. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    #gremlins #butnotthesnickerscommercialone

Chyntuck likes this.
  15. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Maybe we complained one too many times about the truncation issue. Now the tech people are giving us some payback. :p

Chyntuck, Revanfan1, Kahara and 2 others like this.
  16. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    This is a bit annoying, but whatever. Hope you guys can fix it!

I find it amusing that I can't get page 1 of this thread to load. :p

17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I really, really hate to mention this. [face_shhh] But sporadically, I have been having issues with conversation threads too. :eek: [face_nail_biting] As a beta reader, that's very troubling.

18. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Nyota's Heart - Thanks for letting us know! That hasn't happened to me yet and I deal in a LOT of PM's . ;)
    Do you just have to reload a few times and it eventually works? Does it seem to be more with long PM's?

19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    mavjade - yes, just refresh a couple times and it works. Oddly enough, it's been with PMs I've started within the last couple days or so, thankfully not with the ones that are longer-term. [face_thinking] Not a lot of markups - just a few emoticons and perhaps a link or two. @};-

mavjade likes this.
  20. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Now the technical issues thread in Comms is having technical issues! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!! :p

Ewok Poet, Kahara and Chyntuck like this.
  21. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Both the Fanon Thread and the Prolific Writers' Index work for me. I love you two and also LAJ_FETT [face_love]

But please everyone keep backups of your stuff, just in case, yes? I won't be backing up all the indexes I run every other day ;)

Kahara, Nyota's Heart and jcgoble3 like this.
  22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Kahara likes this.
  23. Gahmah Raan

Gahmah Raan Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2015
    Yep, I'm able to access the Fanon thread with no problems too.

24. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Thank you so, so much, Ramza and LAJ_FETT! This is fantastic news. =D=

25. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    See? The majority of computer problems can be fixed by turning it off and turning it back on. :p