main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

KOTOR Campaign Guide: Some new info

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The_Pumaman, Aug 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    That could have been the case, sure.

Naw. I think Revan was a master of all trades. ;)

Oh well.

2. Xicer

Xicer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2008
    "Yes? of pain he has learned much. Of knowledge, of teaching, he knows nothing." - Kreia in KOTOR 2

I noticed that too. All of the other Sith in the book (Kun, Revan, Malak, Bandon, Traya) have Human Jedi class levels indicating that at one point they were all Jedi. The only exceptions are Brezwalt, Sion, and Nihilus. Brezwalt is listed as Human noble, Force adept, and Sith Lord which makes sense since she had a Sith heritage and was never a jedi. Sion and Nihilus though are never listed as Jedi, both of them are listed as Human soldier (Dark Side Aberration in the case of Nihilus), Sith apprentice, and Sith Lord. It could be that they didn't want to give too much away or that I'm reading too much into this, but its interesting that they were both soldiers at one point yet not Jedi. This could easily throw many of the current theories out the window.

3. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I'm leaning toward the "not wanting to give things away" angle... though they've given a lot of hints of things away anyway, so who knows? The description of Nihilus having lost everything during the Mandalorian Wars makes being a Jedi seem most likely though.

I suppose there are a few possible explanations:

1. They don't want to give things away.
    2. He wasn't a Jedi.
    3. He was a Jedi but when he cast aside his identity and became a dark side aberration he cast aside his Jedi heritage (and in RPG terms converted Jedi class levels into Sith class levels, don't know if you can still do that in Saga, but I remember it from the DSS).
    4. He was a member of Krynda's Covenant and not a proper "Jedi".
    5. He's Haazen and has always been a Sith acolyte.

Too difficult to be sure at the moment. I think #3 is possible though if they describe his species as "dark side aberration" and not simply human.
    Well, Revan hungered for power, and Malak was Revan's betrayer. :p

I don't like the idea of there being more than one Darth Sion personally. Or, let me clarify, I don't like the idea of there being two who we know. I'm fine with it happening in Krayt's brotherhood since its a very family and blood oriented Sith Order. I'm also fine to some extent of it being an eccentricity of the Malachor teachings. I just think its best not to have two main characters having the same name, I prefer "others of the same name" to just be ancestors who we never directly encounter, like Wyyrlok I and II.

4. Xicer

Aug 21, 2008
    You forgot #6, hes really Mandalore the Ultimate! ;)

As for his species, he is indeed Human. His class listing in the book is is "Human soldier (Dark Side Aberration), Sith apprentice, Sith Lord"

I'm leaning towards #1 but I think it would be kinda cool if neither of them were ever Jedi, it would make their origins more obscure and would almost certainly not make them anyone from the comics. 3 sounds likely but I don't know if it would work. Ulic Qel-Droma is listed as Redeemed but he still has a Sith apprentice class listing (along with Jedi Knight), so I imagine it would work the other way around with a Sith who casts aside his Jedi heritage, they would still be listed as Jedi. As for #4, well Lucien is listed as Jedi Knight/Master so I don't think being a covenant member would not make you a proper Jedi. Now the thing about Haazen is that he was a Padawan, so if Nihilus is Haazen then he should still have the Jedi listing. Strangely enough though, Haazen doesn't have a bio in this book.

I agree with you here, I'd rather Sion be a single person than multiple people at once. At least with Wyyrlock there was only one of them at any given time, and they had the numbers making them easy to differentiate between.

5. Master_Ikari

Master_Ikari Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 26, 2007
    A late reply for Abel but I just wanted to let you know that I loved the inclusion of the lightfoil, the Tapani Sector, and other such things. I'm a sucker for the WEG material since it was literally my first ever introduction to pen-and-paper RPG and it'll always have a special place in my heart (to sound all corny [face_laugh]).

Keep up the good work!:D

6. Vrook_Lamar

Vrook_Lamar Jedi Padawan star 4

May 12, 2008
    Haazen can't be Nihilus.

Nihilus is said to have lost friends and family in the Mandalorian Wars.

Does Haazen have any friends or family to lose?

The only people who in the comics with obvious family to lose are Carth Onasi, Lucien Dray and Zayne. One of those is impossible and the other two are about 40% likely to be Nihilus.

Unless we're all wrong and Jarael is Nihilus (it honestly makes more sense then her being the Exile does and that's a popular theory).

7. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Assuming, of course, that Nihilus is someone we've already met.

Which is a big if.

8. Vrook_Lamar

May 12, 2008
    Of course.

9. Xicer

Aug 21, 2008
    After reading I found a few more tidbits of information.

Apparently Duron Qel-Droma was involved with the Cleansing of the Nine Houses, but Wookiee says that the CotNH took place sometime after the Great Hunt, and since Duron died near the end of the Great Hunt how could he have been involved with the CotNH? I think the best way to explain it is that the two events overlapped and Duron took part in the Cleansing a little before his death at Korriban. The book also says that his reasons for participating in both the Great Hunt and CotNH is to clear the Qel-Droma name.

And also, just a little thing I found in the book Visas' bio about when she looked at Nihilus unmasked:

"To cut the last bond between herself and Nihilus, she peers beneath his death mask to look upon the face of pure evil."

Now the face part could be interpreted as either an actual face, or it may just be a Sith ghost.

Atris is listed as a Human, so that should dissolve any debates about her being Echani. Atris also supported Master Simikarty's views on limiting the number of apprentices a master can have and the age of Jedi candidates. She was also against romantic involvement between Jedi (no surprise there).

10. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Wookiepedia says a lot of things.

Considering Abel detailed the Cleansing of the Nine Houses in the first place, maybe we should let him explain and not try to fix something that might only be supposition on Wookiepedia. :p

Also, Nihilus' body is still in the robes and armor. It says his essence however, was contained in the robes and armor, apparently explaining Legacy.

It's mentioned that when his essence is destroyed after he tries to feed on the Exile, his already deteriorating body desintegrates. Looks like the body was just there to fill out the robes and armor and provide locomotion. :p

11. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Well, neither do I, really (the "more than one Darth Traya" stuff wasn't my favourite thing about KotOR II). I just think I'd take that over Sion being as old as he is. :p

Anyway, it's all moot, since Sion is clearly the Sion from the GSW. I'm interested to see what's done with that... though I do hope he's not all that powerful back in the olden days and it's only under Kreia's tutelage that he becomes a Sith Lord. Maybe he's going to appear in the next issue's Haazen flashback? "Untold Tales of the Jedi".

I can't deny I'm excited.

Understandable.

12. Vrook_Lamar

May 12, 2008
    Brianna is also listed as human, so that doesn't work as an arguement I'm afraid.

13. EmperorPL

EmperorPL Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2008
    Is there any new info about Darth Revan?

14. Xicer

Aug 21, 2008
    Hm you're right, thats strange. Though I think that might be because she was half-Human.

Not really, I think most of the stuff in his bio can be found in the games.

15. Vrook_Lamar

May 12, 2008

16. burrie

burrie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2000
    I was just browsing the Wook, and noted that Captain Vanicus, whom I always considered to be the TOTJ version of Wedge Antilles, is mentioned to have become an admiral of the fleet. Pretty neat, what else does the guide have about him?

17. Darth_Culator

Darth_Culator Jedi Master star 2

Dec 10, 2005
    Hmm. According to the info on G0-T0 droids, each one "is given a unique identifier that corresponds with the planet it assists". It then goes on to name "G0-T0-Telerath" as one of the G0-T0s that went nuts.

Would this mean that the G0-T0 is actually named "G0-T0-Telos"?

Also, in indexing the droids throughout the book, the "S6-series security/maintenance droid" is the only one I can't put a picture to. I'm guessing that it's supposed to be this guy, but can anyone back that up?

18. Xicer

Aug 21, 2008
    Just that Karath used to be his steward, and his first name was Orley.

Yep that should be the one. Its the only one that fits the description.

Oh and the Ebon Hawk is listed as an SG 80 Dynamic-class Freighter.

19. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    That's a page reference. It means the stats for the Dynamic-class are on page 80 of Starships of the Galaxy.

20. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Since Visas doesn't actually "see" like a human in the first place, I don't see the problem. Visas "saw" that Nihilus, far from being some sort of dark god incarnate, was just another ordinary sentient in the end.

21. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    There isn't a problem; nothing in the guide says Nihilus' body was gone by then, any statements here to the contrary.

I just noticed that this refers to Kun's faction in the Great Sith War as a "Sith Empire". I'm pretty sure that's a new designation; is it called anything other than the Brotherhood of the Sith before? That term is used here too, but I'm not sure whether they're meant to be synonymous. Or perhaps the Sith Empire is the Brotherhood + the Krath.

22. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Yes, I think it was (until now) exclusive to the first KotOR.

Canderous: "The Sith had gone, retreated back into their Empire" (The context makes it clear he's talking about the Kunites, because Revan was inquiring after them specifically)

That'd be my guess as to what BioWare were going with, yeah.

23. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    So, finally got it. :D

I've only had time to skim it thusfar (Too Human takes up most of my time.. mmmm cybernetic norse gods) but overall I'm impressed. The art's occasionally a bit... I dunno, weird - as far as the interior is concerned, anyway. I love both the back and front covers. Can't get enough Bastila. :)

That said, I'm curious about the structure of Revan's Sith Empire. The indication, though it was never expressly stated, from the first game was that it was essentially the "Rule By Two", in that there were only two Sith Lords, both of whom bore the Darth title, and of these only one was the Dark Lord of the Sith. Powerful Sith ranking beneath them were referred to as "Sith Masters"... yet the guide paints a picture of there having been many Sith Lords and (in some places) uses "Sith Lord" and "Dark Lord of the Sith" interchangably.

"Each being that achieves the full title of Dark Lord of the Sith is given control over some military or civilian assets"
    :confused:

I mean, it's pretty much how I saw things working just... with Sith Masters as opposed to Sith Lords. I certainly didn't expect there to be more than two Darths at a time, either.

Anyway, as I said, I'm impressed overall... it's just a lot easier to point at stuff and say "this seems wrong" than express satisfaction. :p

I'll give it a more in depth read beyond "ooo, shiny" soon.

P.S. Malak having a higher charisma than Darth Revan is ridiculous. :p

24. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    So are you saying that Revan and Malak didn't have control over some military or civilian assets? :p

25. Vrook_Lamar

May 12, 2008
    The Sith Triumvate sort of ruins that even if Bandon doesn't get his name until after Malak betrays Revan.

Maybe he's really ugly under that mask. Maybe his voice is really squeeky and that's why he doesn't say anything when voice acting is expected..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.