main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO KOTOR question

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by mastertang, Sep 19, 2012.

1. mastertang

mastertang Jedi Youngling

Sep 19, 2012
    Hi,
    I'm thinking about picking up a used xbox to play KOTOR, I heard it's turn based RPG, and was wondering if it's more like galaxies RPG combat or FF?.

2. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    I can't tell you if it's like galaxies but I know it's not turned based like FF. You won't be running around and then at random the screen changes to a battle area; you can see your enemies down a hallway, run up to them and hit them with a lightsaber.
    The combat I haven't seen in another game. You hit one button for a certain move and then while your character is doing that move you hit another button for another move and then another. You basically set up a string of moves, and/or items, for your character to do/use.
    The story is the best part of the game. The sequel was okay.

3. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    The sequel was awesome, IMO (despite glitches).

KotOR is a lot like Mass Effect 1

4. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    It is turn based in that the game pauses when combat begins, you queue up to 5 actions per squad member and then unpause to let the carnage unfold and make adjustments on the fly.

Therefore, it's kind of similar to both, I guess :)

5. DarthCane

DarthCane Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    It's turn-based I guess in the sense that characters can only do one thing at a time and actions are queued. An example would be if my Soldier/Jedi Guardian spots a tough enemy ahead. The game pauses, giving me the chance to size up the situation and determine the best combination of moves. In this case, let's say I decide to lob a thermal detonator, then activate a Force power such as speed, immunity, or armor, then attack (which automatically takes the form of a Force jump, where I lob myself at the enemy and execute a lightsaber strike for massive damage). As those actions sequentially progress, I can pause at any time to cancel upcoming actions and/or add new ones; meanwhile my opponent is running through his own series of attacks and defenses.

I wouldn't say it's like ME; unlike ME all your hits and dodges are entirely governed by d20 stats. Your character makes a "roll" modified by skill points, the computer pits that result against the enemy's "roll" and skill modifier, and the result is played out on the screen. ME1 did have skill points modifying things like weapon accuracy, power damage, and armor/shield strength but overall you were still the one lining up the shot rather than having the computer determine the odds of your +6 Dexterity roll with Weapon Mastery: Blaster Rifles versus the enemy's Defense roll.

The story is the best part to KotOR; without spoiling too much there's a point that rivals Vader's "I am your father" bombshell. The combat system can also be fun; I played a Jedi Guardian in both games and loved just ripping through opponents like wet paper by late-game. My Jedi Guardian in KotOR II freaking *****-slapped Darth Sion with one shot; I wondered why he bothered getting back up to have the experience again and again.

6. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    Got it over a week & a half ago, just beat it a few minutes ago, and I highly recommend it if you're a Star Wars fan, a fan of RPG's overall, or are just looking to give it a shot.

7. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    You can set it so that it doesn't pause when encountering enemies and you can pause at any time during combat. I should reinstall it again now that I have a computer that's good.

8. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    It's a great game, I've played it through countless times, might as well give it a shot.

9. XAFSSGT

XAFSSGT Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 27, 2012
    I'm not a fan of KOTOR at all, I find the combat system to be mundane and it takes away from the overall "fun" factor of the game, IMO.

I don't like the constant pausing, and having to set up a string of attacks, if combat was better, I'd be in love with KOTOR.

Who knows though, you may love it! Enjoy.

Psmoke likes this.
  10. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    I love KOTOR myself (got a club in the EUC for it even), though it isn't my favorite game (that would be Skies of Arcadia).

The Combat system is...well, its an acquired taste. If you prefer ME style, fast and furious combat, then KOTOR isn't for you. Nor is it Final Fantasy like, in that you don't have a 'loading screen' then jump into a battle sequence. The closest thing is the pause when battle starts. Which I feel is useful in that it lets you plan your moves ahead, instead of relying on on the fly moves.

And I take your Jedi Guardian, Cane, and raise you a Jedi Sentinel...Force Storm coupled with Master Flurry FTW!!:p

Also, to the OP...there is an interesting glitch in the X-Box version...when you level up, there is a way to glitch the game and get up to Master level attacks (I had Master Flurry on the Endar Spire thanks to the Level-Up Glitch:D ). I don't remember it off the top of my head, but if you want to know it just ask.

11. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    Hah, I got a little ways with a Scoundrel/Consular in KotOR I and liked it, but overall I liked the Guardian's "hit them like a bag of hammers" approach. It was especially brutal in KotOR II with a Weapon Master that had lightside mastery, strength boosts, and two pimped-out lightsabers. Pretty much the only Force power I was using was the combined one lightsiders get (I think it basically triggered speed, valor, and armor all in one go) before blowing through an entire room of Sith peons. I know stats-wise Master Flurry is supposed to dish out more damage than Master Critical Strike, but I used the latter a lot. I typically queued up a Critical Strike and then a Flurry, but by the endgame the Master Critical Strike alone was enough to knock out even Sion with one hit.

The fun part was that I had the latest (version 7, I think) edition of the TSL Restoration Project installed in KotOR II, so I got to do bits like HK-47's lone assault on the HK-50 factory and Atton's duel with Darth Sion. The latter was pretty easy - I had Atton's saber combat skills loaded up and he took Sion down in one hit. I really liked the more extensive weapon and armor modding process in KotOR II; I had some sick sabers and guns by the endgame.

12. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    I loved KOTOR II for the modding weapon/armor modding too. Oh, and Jedi Robes that actually LOOKED LIKE JEDI ROBES.:p

And I played as a Sentinel not a Consular. Scout/Sentinel to be specific. Best of both worlds!;)

13. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    At the end of KotOR II I went with the Zeison Sha Warrior armor - I think my Jedi team mostly had the Jal Shey stuff. Had a nice ARC trooper look to it with the kama, plus it had some pretty sweet stat bonuses. I think I added high-level strength and energy ablation mods to it, which made my Guardian even more of a monster.

Yeah, I recognized which classes you were referring to - I stayed away from those myself. While sometimes it is nice to be a jack of all trades, it's also enjoyable to be really, really good at either going full-on Carrie: The Rage with Force powers or slashing fools with a lightsaber. Force Jump in particular came in handy - "Oh, that thermal detonator you just threw at me? Yeah, by the time it explodes I'm going to be standing in front of you and just finishing up a devastating lightsaber swing." As far as consulars, I used Kreia in KotOR II as a sort of dark side artillery piece - not very capable in a straight-up fight, but I'd use her to just wreak havoc from a distance while I handled the personal fighting.

Then again, in KotOR II I did turn Atton, Mira, and Visas into pretty devastating combatants. I used all three in the attack on Freedon Nadd's tomb, with Visas taking lightsaber point, Atton as a twin-pistol Jedi gunslinger, and Mira as a Jedi sniper/rocket battery. The results were very nice to watch :D

Skywalker_T-65 likes this.
  14. Jedi Ghurubai

Jedi Ghurubai Jedi Youngling

Oct 22, 2012
    Why is my Kotor 2 finished when it should start the game right after the opening credits? Kotor 1 works on the same computer so it should not be an issue.

Any ideas?