main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Kotor? remake? is? probably? (not?) happening?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jid123Sheeve, Sep 9, 2021.

1. I always wanted to see more of planets like Taris or Manaan is a dream that i can revist those planets again i know they are in SWTOR but never played SWTOR that much like KOTOR i wish Zayne Carrick can have a cameo

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2021
    DurararaFTW, AusStig and Kato Sai like this.
  2. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    TOR is less engaging to non-MMORPGers, so I totally understand. Kotor on the other hand is very accessible.

3. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Likely a boon. Since you won't have it to compare it too.

4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Viewing the post-2003 EU without playing KOTOR is probably like skipping one of the OT films. It had a lot of original ideas, so there's a reason it's referenced in almost everything.

But you always reminded me a little of Jolee Bindo so I know it's difficult to persuade you out of your Forest of Solitude.:p

Slater likes this.
  5. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    but is he doing it all for the wookies?

Another Bindo line "Let's just say I was a young man with a full head of hair and Coruscant was a small town with a well".

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
  6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I don’t know how much of the original do you already knos

7. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I am curious as to if they are going to try and preserve the twist of the first game. It seems really pointless, since even if you never played the original, I’d you follow any coverage of the new game, it’s going to inevitably be brought up as gamers/writers reminisce about the old game and summarize the plot.

It’s like when FF7 Remake got announced and then all of a sudden the death Aerith was awkwardly being treated as a spoiler around potentially new incoming players that had never played the original. But in reality that event from a game from 1997 trying to be treated as a secret was just awkward and stupid.

I don’t know that a Star Wars fan who had never played the original would be able to get through the new cycle coverage of this game and play this remake before having the twist spoiled for them, so then would the new developers even try to hide it?

And that’s a major story moment. So I mean they can probably take that and drop it on you right on Dantooine instead and just get it out of the way, and then create a new angle where Revan is dealing with that knowledge over the course of the entire game and recollecting stuff and people, vs keeping it a secret until towards the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    They’ll keep the twist for two reasons:

a) Its part of Revan’s story.
    b) twists are SW lifeblood, “I am your Father,” and “You’re a Palpatine.”

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    BigAl6ft6 and AusStig like this.
  9. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I agree that twists are something of tradition, I’m just saying that if you’re given an opportunity to build the story again from the ground up and recording all new dialogue, are you just going to do the same Revan twist knowing full well that it’s going to hit weak both because it’s been out there for nearly two decades, and because twists like the Palpatine one have also come and gone since the original.

The “twist” can still be there, but maybe look for a new epic moment to center the story on. Or a new epic way to frame the same twist on.

Before you find out you’re Revan, and the game just kind of continues on and everyone reaffirms their loyalty to you and the mission.

Now, they’d have the opportunity to pad out those moments with additional content, like Revan losing his cool over the realization both that he’s a monster, and that his closest companion has been keeping secrets. Leading to new content where maybe he runs back to Dantooine alone and confronts the masters there.

I think the game either needs to look for new ways to surprise the audience. Or, since the audience knows it’s coming, just depict it in a refreshingly new way.

10. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    The problem is who Revan is has passed into rite. If they mess with his story which contains the twist, it will be treated as sacrilege, and incur the ire of fans.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I think it depends how they mess with it. Because no matter what you’re Revan, whether they tell you that in the opening crawl, 3 hours in, or 20 hours in.

Personally, even if it was just something like little hidden collectibles that the player can find on the various planets that are memory fragments that if you collect them all, then Revan’s memory will come back on its own before the reveal by Malak and Bastilla leading to alternate storylines. Or something like that.

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Never played the original, haven't looked up the plot, know the names Revan and Makak - that's about it.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
  13. H-BOMB

H-BOMB Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2009
    I just hope this has the Dantooine Outback theme, or some rendition of it.

Please . . .

14. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Oh! I love Dantooine music! I also enjoyed just running about the plains, drinking in the sun, and slaying Kath Hounds.

Barriss_Coffee and AusStig like this.
  15. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    They use it in SWTOR (same with the Manna music).

Kato Sai likes this.
  16. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    I'm saying this as someone whose main exposure to anime has been Visions, but I kind of want KotOR II adapted into that medium now. Keep the remake focused on Revan.

17. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Great idea!

18. CosmoHender

CosmoHender Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2016
    I just really hope they fix the morality system from the original.

19. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    And make it more like Kotor II?

20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It would be great if this KOTOR Remake was KOTOR, a finished KOTOR II, and the speculated KOTOR 3, all wrapped-together as one.

21. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Now that would be a twist fans wouldn’t see coming, well except you.

22. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, I don't know, I think it wouldn't that big a surprise. I mean, we've all three of the ME trilogy on a disc now, games keep getting bigger. They could do a conclusive trilogy for KotOR.

I can see good reason for keeping quiet officially though. They'll want to manage expectations.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
  23. RafSwi7

RafSwi7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2011
    For me these games have always been a pinnacle of Star Wars media and my favourite part of Star Wars continuity, so I am glad that KoTOR will return one way or another. I don't care much if it is remaster or remake, faithful legends storyline or story changed to fit some parts of canon. I am just glad that KoTOR is back.

Especially that I am getting less and less interested in the universe (with SWTOR pretty much keeping me in the fandom).

Who knows maybe we will see some KotOR revival beyond the first game. The only downside is that we will have to wait. I guess two years at least.

24. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    I get this. I was the same way before Disney.

I still would prefer a remaster as I fear what they will do with a remake.

I expect they PLAN to release it as soon as the contract with EA expires. Whether they will (or should) we shall see.

RafSwi7 likes this.
  25. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    Yes! I was about to share this article here that proposes something similar. But I agree that I hope the remake does well and inspires a remake of KOTOR II and eventually the development of the actual conclusion that was planned for this series. KOTOR III sounds amazing, and ever since I found out about some of the things it would’ve included, I’ve been very interested in actually playing this series. I’d only ever read about it in the past since I never bought an Xbox.

So I’m excited for the remake of game 1, and even more immediately to actually play the original when the Nintendo Switch port is released next month. But of course, what would make it all even more exciting is for this pattern to continue with game 2 and to eventually lead to the culmination of a lost game being finally made with today’s technology to boot. And they better being Avellone back for those next two games!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    RafSwi7 and Darth Tormentum like this.