main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Kotor? remake? is? probably? (not?) happening?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jid123Sheeve, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    If we belive the rumor is that this Kotor remake will combine both games into one big canon game of this era.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
  2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Something will be changed, I have little doubt of that. I doubt we’ll win a slave in a Pazaak game, for one.

3. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Im excited for the visuals and graphics, the gameplay and how they change the story somewhat to align with canon.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
  4. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    That aspect dates back to January 2020. Even if it was accurate at the time, that idea may end up having been abandoned during development.

5. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Maybe, but it seems it be close to what was rumored.

6. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    The rumour that Aspyr is making a KotOR remake has obviously been proven accurate. But I wouldn't necessarily assume that the project as envisioned in early 2020 has remained unchanged in the last year and a half.

I am confident, however, that combining the two games has at the very least been discussed at length.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    What was a big game in 2003 and is in 2021 are rather different - they may have to get both games to get enough content for the remake.

Golbolco and DarthPhilosopher like this.
  8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I don't think that many people are clamoring for a Knights 2 remake, this will probably be the original only.

9. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    When did that happen?

But I think trying to recapture the reason KOTOR worked as well as it did, is a futile exercise. It was like ANH (on a smaller scale), it just all clicked and it was in the right place at the right time. It was the first time this was OUR Star Wars story, with a lot of choices. Jedi Knight 2 had just come out a year before, so this was something that really didn't have anything like it when it came out.

The combat was slow and the story was very much a reworking of ANH with a twist. But it worked, it just all clicked.

As to the long development time, remember beer virus has been a thing so things might not be as far along as they would be normally. I also hope they don't try to mix the two games.

iFrankenstein likes this.
  10. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    Especially if the combat is a lot faster.

There's definitely options for combining the two. I think it's more likely than a stand-alone KotOR II Remake. If they don't want to repeat the Revan twist, they could make the Exile the main character for both - the twist being that you aren't Revan, but that he's being held by the Jedi.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  11. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    They could make Revan Main characterfor both games in this big remake.

VexedAtVohai likes this.
  12. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    That probably makes more sense.

---

Anyone know of any more of the writers for the game? Just Sam Maggs so far from what I've seen.

13. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Well it depends, if this is a spyro reignited type deal they could have each game as a stand alone (though that also keeps the gameplay the same as the orginals, so maybe unlikely). Where as if they are making a NEW game called KOTOR then they could (try) to merge the plots.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  14. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I hope we get the KOTOR 1 default Jedi robes looking more like Zayne Carrick's robes at the start of the KOTOR comic. As much as I loved the games, the comics are more definitive for me visually.

KOTOR is the game that got me to buy an Xbox, so many years ago. If it's a timed exclusive, then it hopefully won't be the game that gets me to buy a PS5(tbh though, the Spider-Man and Wolverine games are nearly convincing me).

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Jedi Ben likes this.
  15. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    If I didnt have a ps5 already i buy one already. I havent played the original, but I know the story as seen cutscenes from both Kotor games. I wonder how they will handle the twist. This Will probably be star wars biggest game ever.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  16. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    Huh. I wasn't expecting that. I wonder if they're going to use this to canonize KOTOR by fixing any contradictions they find (I can't imagine there'd be many given how far back in time the game takes place). Part of me would be happy and part of me would be a little sad we aren't getting a KOTOR movie instead.

17. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I think it could be really beneficial to make the entire thing a legend within the universe. 4,000 years is a long time and what happened in the GFFA that far in the past doesn't have to be as locked down historically. So player choice can be preserved by the general events being canon, but not their order or in player character choices(gender, appearance, alignment, relationships). They didn't do that with Legends, they could in Canon.

TOTJ could also be sort of soft canon, in that it's all legendary within the stories of the ancient Republic and Jedi Order but may not be actual history. That also leaves room for the TOTJ comic storyline *and* the original Ulic Qel-Droma storyline from Veitch's DE notes to be canonical in-universe legends.

Darth Revan can continue to be revered by the Sith, whilst a redeemed Revan can be revered by the Jedi. Almost further emphasizes their common religious schism.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

18. Awushi Awere

Awushi Awere Jedi Knight star 2

May 11, 2020
    I am interested and hope this goes officially into new canon.

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Spyro was a major remaster.
    There will be major differences between experiencing the twist when playing the original and hearing of it by reputation alone. Execution is everything - if done well, it'll still impress regardless of knowledge of it.

20. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Which isn't what we are getting here, this is a remake.

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Quite so. I get the cynicism where the gaming industry is concerned, but the two terms have come to have quite distinct meanings.

Go back five years and they were used far more interchangeably.

22. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I wonder how they will seperate the Rakaatan and Zeffo.

23. JediAvatar

JediAvatar Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 11, 2020
    This probably won’t happen but I really hope the KOTOR remake is more informed by the Tales of the Jedi comics instead of the prequels.

Basically don’t have the whole dogmatic, no attachment attitudes be attributed to the entire Jedi philosophy, have it be something that only Vrook believes. Don’t do the whole all Sith have red lightsabers, and please no prequel Jedi robes (Tatooine robes).

Speaking of the Sith, I hope Revan and Malak are just Lord Revan and Lord Malak. No Darths should exist at this point.

I’d say one of the important things is having the aesthetics be more similar to TOTJ as well, since it is supposed to be the old republic.

I’ll still buy and play the remake even if none of these things happen though.

24. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    If it were a remaster I would have some faith.

But these seems like we could get the worst of both worlds. Where they try to 'refresh' the old game while not doing something different enough to get it out from under the originals shadow.

Same they did with all the others in legends. Have the Rakata be really evil.

25. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018