main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Kotor? remake? is? probably? (not?) happening?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jid123Sheeve, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    [​IMG]

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I thought Microsoft/Xbox passed just because Disney/Lucasfilm didn’t offer to pay them enough.

Jedi Ben and Vialco like this.
  3. Force Nexus

Force Nexus Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 22, 2022
    Anyone expected anything else out of Aspyr, a company responsible solely for ports, that hasn't developed any real videogames? Whoever came up with a brilliant idea of hiring them for such a monumental project, and announcing that in the first place with nothing but 30 seconds bullshot teaser, is a genius.
    If this remake never gets made, it's for the better, I think.

Slater, Ramza and Vialco like this.
  4. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Assuming "indefinitely delayed" is not a euphemism for "cancelled" and that Aspyr still intends to pursue the project... even if things were going smoothly this would still be years away from gracing our consoles anyway, so is a delay of six months or a year really all that bad? On the other hand, if the project is indeed nailed to the perch, that's sad news. Saves us from endless "is it going to be canon?" debates, but still sad news.

Vialco and Jedi Ben like this.
  5. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    I had read it was because they didn’t like Aspyr. But who knows.

AusStig likes this.
  6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Nothing will save us from the canon debates.

As to the game, all bets are off. Game development can be very rocky but what goes off track can be gotten back onto it.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
  7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Don't take this the wrong way, but: lol.

8. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Another Star Wars event placed on hold. If it isn’t a novel, comic book, or animated series I can’t get excited cause somewhere along the line you just get hit with the bad news

9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Anyone who says that the movies are the worst handled aspect of SW of the last 10 years is kidding themselves. Video games have won the title and will continue to hold that title.

Slater, Sinrebirth , Ghost and 3 others like this.
  10. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Absolutely.

Where is my Episode VII: Shadows of the Sith game where I play as Ben Skywalker. WHERE.

BigAl6ft6, Gerak, Slater and 4 others like this.
  11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    While technically accurate in that EA squandered the license, the films have a much bigger profile than the games. So far more people care about them.

It's pretty hard to find any SW game that has done anything to spark anything near either a prequel or sequel controversy, some of which appear to be eternally burning.

12. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    The lesson here is that Lucasfilm should lean on animation as a medium more. There seems to be less BTS drama involved.

13. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Maybe they didn't like them enough for the money they were offered.

I don't know but if you find it tell me.

I guess multiverse theory says it is somewhere.

14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Somewhere EA didn't get the SW license, Obsidian had enough time on KotOR 2, Factor 5 didn't go bust and did Rogue Squadron IV, while Amy Hennig did 1313.

Gerak and Sinrebirth like this.
  15. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Why tease me so.

16. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    Yeah, I know, but I'm not a cynic, and as Jedi Ben said, an on-hold project can be put back on track. In this case, given the popularity of KOTOR and the fan reaction to the announcement, it's hard to imagine they wouldn't try to get this project moving again in some form or another. But, who the heck knows what's really going on behind the scenes at Aspyr. Given that the Bloomburg article is behind a paywall, I certainly don't [face_laugh]

Jedi Ben likes this.
  17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The problem isn't the Bloomberg paywall, it's that Schreir tends to be accurate.

18. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I have Bloomberg so I’ll summarize:

Aspyr built a vertical slice as an internal proof of concept and to show to rights holders. The vertical slice was so resource intensive the heads of the company immediately called into question if the project was feasible. The project halted. Then two project heads and high level employees were fired suddenly. Throughout the process Embracer had been encouraging Aspyr to let Saber Interactive (the group that ported Witcher III to Switch) help out with coding duties. Most Aspyr staff imagine that if the project were resumed it would be done by Saber Interactive, which most likely would mean everything Aspyr did would be scrapped. However, that’s quite a bit of an if.

Edit: In addition, Aspyr’s top level had been lying or overestimating its capabilities throughout, as they had promised Disney, Embracer, et al. a 2022 release date, but internally employees did not realistically expect they could be finished before 2025.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
  19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    2022 release date!?

What a load of balls. No way was this going to be out this year. 2025? Sounds about right.

20. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    What a mess. Yeah, looks like this was definitely a much bigger bite than Aspyr knew how to chew. And I seriously can't believe they were trying to convince anyone that a 2022 release date was feasible. That alone should have been a major indicator something was amiss.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Especially in a post-Cyberpunk 2077 world.

22. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    I'm alright if this gets officially cancelled eventually. I won't say I wasn't excited, but on the other hand the OG KotOR still exists. A new Star Wars game is a new Star Wars game; I don't need it to replace an old Star Wars game.

This also frees up the Revan story to be canonized in a different way. I kinda sorta think it would be neat to have future movies be Sith focused. If they did like a trilogy of trilogies again they could do like a Bane trilogy, Revan trilogy, Plagueis trilogy or something like that. Not that I necessarily expect this to happen, but if Revan's story is Canon'd via video game that would limit the possibilities there.

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    A game being remade doesn't generally block access to the original unless its Rockstar or Blizzard.

Nor would Revan being covered in a game limit options, even if the game was deemed canon.

AusStig likes this.
  24. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Also, the thing about video games is almost nothing gets officially cancelled because that’s bad PR. It’s a dumb model but it’s the model.

AusStig likes this.
  25. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    If I recall correctly Story Group did confirm, via the Canon Rule of Thumb if in no other form, that this version would also not be canon.

Fans: Is the KOTOR remake going to be canon?
    Story Group Member, via Twitter: To answer your question, the original game was part of Legends.
    Fans: So... is the remake going to be canon?
    Story Group Member, via Twitter: I answered that question very unambiguously in my previous tweet.

AusStig, Riv_Shiel and RogueWhistler like this.