main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kyle Katarn, not a real character.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Vong_Killer, Sep 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    ya, sure, ;), except for the fact it said they grew up toghether on tatooine.

Of course change that sentence to "lived together as brothers since yavin"(or some such sentence), could easily fix that bubble.

In fact, maybe I'll do that, make the definitive hoth stuff, with continuity fixes applied with graphic editing software, ;)

As well, as far as I remember wes never embellishes any superduper bacta treatment stories, that was hobbie and the at-at crash story. So there is no error on that part to worry about.

2. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
  3. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Should any of this stuff be reported in Lit Forum Project: Help with Timetales thread?

4. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    probably yes.

5. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Outlaw, no katarn commando's is the next article after kyle katarn. because it's next in alphabetical order. It says "see Page's commandos" which talks about how it got the name katarn from kashyyyk creature.

6. Ana Vitorrian

Ana Vitorrian Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 1999
    I'd be highly surprised if any reference in a LFL licensed SW product attributes the creation of the Katarn Commandoes to Kyle Katarn. But anything is possible.

The best source that I've seen for the Katarn Commandoes is in one the Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebooks by West End Games. I'd suspect it would be the Heir to the Empire Sourcebook which has, I think, 2-3 pages on this subject. Good stuff!!!

[Another aside, going back to GG3: The Empire Strikes Back (WEG) - NJO inference - I also think there's a reference to a Duro Orbital City in there - (same place as the Jan Ors referece) - called something like "Pellazara Station" (SP?) - this orbital city and/or artificial orbital body is NOT referenced in Balance Point - but I'd suspect there's a presumption that it too has been destroyed by YV forces during the Battle of Duro.]

7. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    wasn't "Hoth Stuff" a song in The Full Monty? :)

8. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Aggggghhhhh, "Hoth Stuff"....

It CANNOT happen. It's a bad dream I tell you!

Okay, let's ignore the Janson and Tatooine stuff. That's bad enough...

What about Wedge missing from action after ESB?

In the comic of SOTE, Wedge is RIGHT there with the Rebel fleet at the edge of the galaxy, defending the medical frigate from some TIE Fighters and a Strike Cruiser.

Judging from Luke and Leia's clothes, and the status of the fleet, and what Vader is up to, still in the Bespin system, this is supposed to be RIGHT after the film. ( The comic then just jumps ahead in time to the main frame of the SOTE story, shortly before ROTJ. )

If Wedge is right there, and Luke and Leia know about it...why are they searching for him from being lost after the Battle of Hoth?

More importantly, "Hoth Stuff" contradicts ( okay, the stuff contradicts "Hoth Stuff" if you want to be picky ) the stuff in the ESB radio drama and GG3 - the stuff with Wedge, Tarrin and Luke dodging the Star Destroyer after leaving Hoth, and after Luke jumps to hyperspace, Wedge, Janson and Hobbie dodge another Cruiser.

This is a very rare case where there's just so many continuity errors, and later ignoring of source material, that it just doesn't fit into continuity, the way I see it. Even the Holiday Special and Trioculous books can be wedged in ( no pun intended ), but I just don't see a way of fitting in "Hoth Stuff" without damaging other stories and taking into account all sources that take place during and after ESB.

9. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Actially going by your logic we would have to throw out marvel comics 39-80 which fit right before ESB according to the Essential Chronology, and other databank entries on the TOS, If SOTE takes place exactly after ESB.

LFL, has split up the time up.

As for using clothes as a excuse remember that many of the clothes in marvel, and other comics are exactly the same throughout every issue. Why did vader return to bespin system? I don't know.

"hyperspace, Wedge, Janson and Hobbie dodge another Cruiser."

What was wedge, and "janson" flying? does it say? It's highly possible that derit janson, and wedge ended up being chased back into the atmosphere, and got shot down. hoth stuff occurs, and he's later saved, rest of the marvel issues up to 80 occur, then SOTE takes place as the Databanks, and EC say.

10. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    <<Actially going by your logic we would have to throw out marvel comics 39-80 which fit right before ESB according to the Essential Chronology, and other databank entries on the TOS, If SOTE takes place exactly after ESB. >>

As I said, the beginning of the SOTE comics are right after ESB. This ties right into the SOTE novel, Marvel comics, and especially "The Emperor's Trophy" short story in Star Wars Galaxy Magazine from 1997. The story just jumps ahead shortly thereafter, even including Boba Fett's ordeals. He was just in hiding with Carbonite Solo for awhile, while he planned his course of action to get to Tatooine.

And the Essential Chronology is not the end-all source for dating. Some stories fit in various times, as noted especially by the various Droids spin-offs.

<<As for using clothes as a excuse remember that many of the clothes in marvel, and other comics are exactly the same throughout every issue. Why did vader return to bespin system? I don't know. >>

It doesn't work. Ask anyone and they'll say the beginning of the SOTE comic is right after ESB. When Palpatine calls Vader in the hologram, this is the first time they have spoken about his failure to capture Luke.

<<What was wedge, and "janson" flying? does it say? It's highly possible that derit janson, and wedge ended up being chased back into the atmosphere, and got shot down. hoth stuff occurs, and he's later saved, rest of the marvel issues up to 80 occur, then SOTE takes place as the Databanks, and EC say.
    >>

This is too minute for the EC to go into...

Luke, Wedge and Tarrin take off from Hoth. Tarrin is in a transport of some kind, and Wedge and Luke are alone in their X-wings. A Star Destroyer appears in their path and they escape it. Luke breaks off ( as seen in the film ) while the rest keep their course. But then ( according to GG3 ) another Star Destroyer appears in Wedge's path. By this time, he's flying with Hobbie in a Y-wing, and Janson, who is injured, is in the gunner seat with Hobbie. They use a Tallon Split tactic to escape the Destroyer, and they make it safely into hyperspace. Presumably with Tarrin. Galaxy Guide 3 tied together well with the radio drama. But nothing from "Hoth Stuff" was apparently used to craft these scenarios and bios...

Because it was Luke's bad bacta dream! :)

11. Graz73

Graz73 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 19, 1999
    You've probably seen me post this before, but if you're interested in seeing the pic of "Kyle" from Leviathan or want to know about that Jan Ors reference, then look at my Dark Forces Chronology...

http://members.home.net/lougraziani/Katarn.htm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.