main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kyle Katarn's Tale (Dark Forces Articles by Abel & Jason)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rogue_Follower, Apr 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    And I noticed that Jason got in some more planet placements--Keyorin is now in the Belderone Sector (both from the Marvel comics) of the Outer Rim.

Like I'd ever miss a chance for a planet placement. ;) A flurry of additional ones in Pt. 5....

2. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    ;) Of course, we *still* don't really know where they are in relation to the other worlds in the region (but you'd need a map for that, I suppose). Still, it's better than the Mandalore sector. We still don't even know which region *that's* in. :D

EDIT: I stand corrected.

TC

3. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Well, we DO know Belderone's location (just off the Perlemian next to the Cron Drift), and given how small sectors are on the scale of a galaxy, that should seriously narrow down the location of Keyorin quite a bit.

4. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    What's with all the Belderone love recently? [face_batting]

5. burrie

burrie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2000
    I've probably asked this before, but was there anything specific regarding Jedi Outcast? NEGTC didn't mention it.

More specifically, how you can transform people into Jedi-class citizens, and infuse them with such anger emotion?
    Ach, I still think that the Valley of the Jedi is a big part in this. Whereas Jerec tried to channel all this energy upon himself, Desann decided to channel most of this energy upon his followers, making them essentially Force Users. A neat way to have many Dark Jedi enemies without it coming off as too contrived. Doesn't Tavion explain this in her ranting at Cloud City before the inevitable saberfight?

And crystals were used to channel Dark Side energy, aye. If not, at the very least, it amplifies or focuses the Force on someone. Mon Mothma makes a mention of this at the debriefing following the first mission, and I think the Skywalker bloke also mentions it when you meet up with him at Fyyar's flagship.

As for the anger emotion... aside from the crystals, I think that they must've been taught by either Desann or Tavion to utilise their anger and hate. Not that it's the best way to have taught them on such short notice, mind you. I mean, in the end, most of the Reborn aren't entirely top of line Dark Side material. Kyle and Luke can wade through an army of them without too much trouble, and Luke's a dozen or so Jedi padawans are quite capable of fending off a few dozen of them.

6. Cynical

Cynical Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 5, 2004
    Desann's dabbling in articial force-infusion seemed to be two seperate ventures really.

First there was the experiments with using the crystals to infuse the force, using NR citizens as labrats (you don't do this on your own troopers until you know it works). As Mon Mothma herself said, the notion that this could work is madness. The kyle came along and put an end to it permanently.

Desann finds out about Kyle, knows Kyle's link to the Valley (probably from his Academy days) and goes "This works better". Dropping any further work with the crystals, they set up Kyle to lead them to the valley so that they can use that instead to infuse the force into troopers.

7. burrie

May 27, 2000
    I believe that it was mostly Fyarr's pet project, not Desann's. As much was described in his biography on the official site, if I recall correctly.

As for the crystals, they must've had some sort of effect. After all, they were implemented into the shadowtroopers and those were quite powerful warriors in their own right, showing abilities that the average Reborn rarely shows.

Furthermore, Kyle had faced some sort of a Reborn before Desann ever got his hands on the Valley of the Jedi to begin with, as was shown in the Jedi Outcast demo that took place before Jedi Outcast. Kyle encounters a Reborn(or two, depending on difficulty), whom he manages to defeat afterwards. Granted, it might be one of Desann's former apprentices or perhaps his apprentice who got replaced with Tavion afterwards. Nonetheless, the Reborn has some sort of connection with Desann, he mentions him every now and then in his taunts. Plus, Kyle mentions that he does feel the Force, but that it's "warped".

My guess is that this apprentice is either one of Fyarr's earlier experimentations(with which the crystal might be linked), or Desann's(or perhaps Tavion's) apprentice. Kyle's mention of the Force feeling warped makes me feel that it's the former.

However, I definately believe that the Valley of the Jedi was the key that led to the Reborn, not the crystals. The latter might've amplified it somehow, but it's the valley that completely tuned them to the Force.

At least, that's how I think it works.

Edit: And if I might be so bold to ask to the writers of the articles(Abel? Jason?), will this matter be cleared in any of the articles?

8. Cynical

Oct 5, 2004
    The demo was a just a composite of E3 showcase material. I don't think it is canon.

9. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    IIRC, the demo is canon.

The "Reborn" in that level doesn't have to be an actual Reborn, it could be a leftover Dark Side Adept, as seen in the Miniatures game. At least, that's my theory. You could look at it as a coloring game-play aspect, that the model is a game-play aspect and its just some random Darksider, or that the entire Dark Jedi battle in that level is a game-play aspect. Just because a few things don't fit perfectly doesn't mean we should throw the entire level out.

10. burrie

May 27, 2000
    What about Katarn's comment that he senses the Force nearby, but that it's 'warped'?

11. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    I haven't played the demo for a while, but it could be just refering to the Dark Side, not the twisted feeling of the Reborn. I also seem to remember that all of the voice lines in the demo were taken directly from the game, not recorded specially for the demo's story, so that the words might not exactly fit the situation. There are other mistakes in the demo; IIRC, Jan sets down what is actually a door lock as a bomb. But I don't think its enough to overrule the entire level. After all, even parts of Super Star Wars and Yoda Stories have made it into canon.

12. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    Could it be possible that the JO demo is actually after JO. The Dark Jedi are actually left-over from Desaan's army. In my playing of the demo, I see nothing that actually insists it is placed before JO...

13. Kreuzader

Kreuzader Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    There's been a statement from somebody about its placement before the main game, but I forget who... I recall having this discussion years ago when the game came out at any rate.

14. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    Yeah, I mean the scroll at the start says 8 years after Endor, but it is the same as JO, except for the last paragraph, which was wrong.

It would also explain why Kyle has his lightsaber and can use the Force...

15. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    When you say jedi Outcast demo, do you mean the Alzoc bonus level, and the 2 Reborn at the end?

16. Cynical

Oct 5, 2004
  17. Dante_Glass

Dante_Glass Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    Are we gettign any more of the articles?

18. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    yes we do, around 4 more, if my count is correct.

19. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Part 3 is up! :D

Love the link between Jerec's dark cadre and Palp's dark side elite. Now you only need to link both of them with Dooku's inner circle and I'll be happy. ;)

20. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    Very nice!

And now for the Retconn Roundup Report:

"She was raised by the Prophets of the Dark Side, ignorant of her parentage."

Here's the GoDV reference. The Prophets just keep getting more evil. [face_devil]

"On Tatooine, Sariss worked for Governor Tour Aryon, going by the name Prophetess."

I like it! So now Sariss can be seen on film in ANH. Here's her CCG card.

"Jerec, whom she'd first met during his time on Dromund Kaas years earlier."

This confirms that the Sith Temple there was known by Palpatine, or at least his followers. It also explains the Stormtrooper remains. However, those darn ysalamiri still need to be accounted for...

ArindaRise likes this.
  21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Interesting connection between Jerec's 7 Dark Jedi and the Emperor's Darkside Elite plans.

And woah! Connection to the CCG! ::digs!::

[image=http://www.decipher.com/starwars/cardlists/premiere/dark/images/prophetess.gif]

EDIT- knew I should have refreshed the thread after I read the article ;)

22. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Great stuff! I always liked Yun; his new Greek tragedy backstory makes him even cooler.

TC

23. Kreuzader

Kreuzader Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    Awesome - I can't wait for the Jerec entry :)

24. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    Arden Lyn, yay! :)

25. burrie

May 27, 2000
    A very excellent article, fleshing out the Dark Jedi quite a bit. Loved the background information, and hoping to see what the other articles will reveal.

I was surprised with the 'Dromund Kaas' mention. Perhaps one of the articles will reveal what exactly transpired on Dromund Kaas that turned Kyle to the Dark Side?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.