main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kyle Katarn's Tale (Dark Forces Articles by Abel & Jason)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rogue_Follower, Apr 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Well, there were statues of Jerec in Dromund Kaas, after all...

2. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    Hmmmtt, how very interesting. The Yun/Sariss business has a vaguely Oepidal feel to it, though.

ArindaRise likes this.
  3. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Just nitpicking here, but I was going back through my GoDV books and I noticed a quote that at least some of Imperial propaganda fell under the domain of the Prophets of the Dark Side. So, couldn't the "posters" in Visionaries:Imperial Recruitment be made by the Prophets? IIRC, there was one poster that contained a blond in a TIE pilot costume---Sariss? [face_mischief] Not only would this reinforce her connection to (and use by) the Prophets in her early days, but it could also refer to her position as a Secret Order of the Emperor liaison with the Imperial military (the place we've seen the Secret Order in action most is with the TIE corps in TIE Fighter.) Interesting childhood indeed...

Also, in Gamer 2, p. 49 under the Special Ops: The Privateer, there is a picture of "the steadfast crew" in which there seems to be a man with strangely familiar eye-tatoos---Jerec? It looks like him, only with more hair and a beard.. However, this is not out of the realm of possiblity: his beard could have been grown out to cover his mouth tatoos and the two tufts of hair on his mostly bald head could be because he was younger than the state we see in Jedi Knight. A younger Jerec, in a privateer crew? What kind of Jedi artifacts could he be looking for there... [face_thinking]

Just some possible references, but only about as far as Sariss and the Prophetess, and Jan Ors and Jan Strange. :)

4. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    Good ideas Rogue_Follower.

5. phrogxix

phrogxix Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2005
    I for one, LOVE the new Sariss information. Prophets of the Dark Side, the Prophetess... and heck. I'm a sucker for the defining of another on-screen character.

I'll admit it, I ran to my DVD player just to see Sariss in ANH just now. Gotta love having a girlfriend who was just as amused as I was by it.

I'm totally digging the Yun backstory as well, and love the very dramatic and interesting feel it gives the character.

Fantastic. This article made my night, I had read the first two and just got around to this one. :)

6. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    Howdy folks!

JoinTheSchwarz wrote:
    ?Love the link between Jerec's dark cadre and Palp's dark side elite.?

Thanks JTS. Happy to please. :)

Rogue_Follower wrote:
    ?And now for the Retconn Roundup Report:

"She was raised by the Prophets of the Dark Side, ignorant of her parentage."

Here's the GoDV reference. The Prophets just keep getting more evil. ?

That?s a good thing, I hope. :) The Prophets will get revisited later in the series.

?I like it! So now Sariss can be seen on film in ANH.?

Yep! One more retcon, BTW: Yun as an Epicanthix.

The2ndQuest wrote:
    ?Interesting connection between Jerec's 7 Dark Jedi and the Emperor's Darkside Elite plans.?

Not much of a connection, admittedly, but a coincidence worth elaborating on, I thought.

?And woah! Connection to the CCG! ::digs!::?

Thankfully, I had that Prophetess card. Folks might also recognize the other Prophetess of the Dark Side Merili from the Grand Admirals article Dan Wallace and I wrote a few years back.

TalonCard wrote:
    ?Great stuff! I always liked Yun; his new Greek tragedy backstory makes him even cooler.?

Thanks, TC. Of course, I?ve enjoyed your Glove of Darth Vader essay. :)

Yun?s a sympathetic character. I?m pretty happy with how Yun & Sariss?s stories ended up playing off each other.

Kreuzader wrote:
    ?Awesome - I can't wait for the Jerec entry ?

Many thanks Kreuzader. You?ll get your Jerec entry. Hope you like it.

Tam_Elgrin wrote:
    ?Arden Lyn, yay! ?

As I mentioned in the Emperor?s Pawns thread, I decided to pick up a lot of the loose ends from that article for the Dark Forces Saga. Hope you liked Arden?s, however brief, appearance.

burrie wrote:
    ?A very excellent article, fleshing out the Dark Jedi quite a bit. Loved the background information, and hoping to see what the other articles will reveal.?

Thanks for your comments, burrie. The rest of the parts to the Dark Forces Saga should be just as information packed, some significantly more so. ;)

?I was surprised with the 'Dromund Kaas' mention. Perhaps one of the articles will reveal what exactly transpired on Dromund Kaas that turned Kyle to the Dark Side??

Jason and I go into Dromund Kaas a little bit later. Coming soon!

Hilarious sig, burrie!

Pelranius wrote:
    ?Hmmmtt, how very interesting. The Yun/Sariss business has a vaguely Oepidal feel to it, though.?

Yeah, the Oedipus Rex angle is definitely there.

Folks have probably already figured out that I?m a fan of suggestion and open interpretation. I like to pepper a piece with clues and little things to reveal a bigger picture in order to enrich the experience for readers. Good replay value.

Reminding me, the SWFA site recently published an informal essay of mine, The Anatomy of a Ret-Con, that talks about this idea of suggestion in more detail, using the dilemma of the ?Clone Dooku? as its focal point. Check it out!

www.myuselessknowledge.com/swfa

Take care,
    Abel

ArindaRise likes this.
  7. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    >>"Jason and I go into Dromund Kaas a little bit later."<<

You two are bloody fantastic, you know that? =P~=P~

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >> Thankfully, I had that Prophetess card.<<

if you don't have the others, all of them are viewable online at http://www.decipher.com/starwars/cardlists/

All we need now is a Rycar reference ;)

[image=http://www.decipher.com/starwars/cardlists/premiere/light/images/rycarryjerd.gif] [image=http://www.decipher.com/starwars/cardlists/dagobah/light/images/rycarsrun.gif] [image=http://www.decipher.com/starwars/cardlists/jabbaspalace/light/images/raycryjerd.gif]

[face_laugh]

9. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    Rycar is a Bimm... yet his son appears not to be (or at least very tall for a Bimm)

10. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Also, as I've mentioned before, the Dark Forces Saga was originally submitted to Gamer with art by Mark Hudson. You can see his original artwork here:

http://www.myuselessknowledge.com/swfa/images/darkforces.jpg

Take care,
    Abel

11. Cynical

Cynical Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 5, 2004
    Neat. None with Kyle, Jan, Morgan and Rahn though?

12. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    I believe Mark had done at least a sketch of the heroes. He might still be holding onto it.

Best,
    Abel

13. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Hey folks!

Part 4 of the Dark Forces Saga and Part 5 of Kyle Katarn?s Tale are now up. Hope you like what Jason and I have done! Some really juicy bits for EU aficionados, including lightsaber forms and more references to the New Sith Wars and the First Great Schism!

Take care,
    Abel

14. Cynical

Cynical Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 5, 2004
    Awesome! Maw and Boc, the ugly couple!

15. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    Ooh, Petja. I liked him. Good stuff as always.

16. Kast_Morben

Kast_Morben Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    Yesss!

"Siolo'urmanka"

Reference to 'Nameless'!

I [face_love] you Abel.

17. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Those of you who are geography buffs may recognize the names of some of Ruusan's neighbors..... ;)

18. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Awesome Jedi Shadows reference, I had always thought Jerec was one of them. And I really like the names of the lightsaber forms being High Galactic. An excellent article, once again. :)

Boca Seca? [face_laugh] That's worse than Lagartoz, Mr. Peña, and you know it. :D

19. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    I too love the Jedi Shadow reference and have been waiting for one for a long time. :) So, Jedi Investigators are considered Jedi Shadows now?

I like Maw's Boltrunian designation, another indirect Marvel reference. And of course the Kharys and Lumyia mentions are direct Marvel references. ;)

Droga is back...again, as is the Dark Underlord. :)

Jar'Kai: *Love* the X-Wing Alliance reference. Despite being one of the most EU-filled games, XWA has been largely ignored for its content.

Edit: Oh yeah, and a Tyne's Horky reference. What's that make, about three?

20. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    JoinTheSchwarz wrote:
    ?Boca Seca? That's worse than Lagartoz, Mr. Peña, and you know it. ?

Zoinks! Caught.

Indeed, Bocas?eca, Boc?s full Twi?leki name, translates to ?dry mouth? in Spanish. For those who have experienced it, surely you must agree there is nothing more sinister.

There?s actually a history of this sort of language borrowing in Star Wars, going back arguably to the use of ?cantina? in A New Hope. :D

Take care,
    Abel

EDIT: I have been inspired. Presenting the history of foreign languages in Star Wars!

The Tongue Gods Love Garbage... Or, The Dark Forces Saga Continues!

21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Where is Jedi Shadow from?

And wher ein the article is the Lumiya reference? I didn't catch it.

22. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    The Jedi Shadow is from the WEG Tales of the Jedi Companion, and is a Jedi that actively hunts Darksiders. Perhaps they are distantly related to KOTOR's Jedi Sentinels... [face_thinking]

T2Q: At the bottom of Part 4.

"A popular variant of Jar'Kai involves the combination of one lightsaber and one short saber. This method was employed by the Weequay Jedi Master Sora Bulq in combat against Mace Windu, as well as by Luke Skywalker when faced with the Sith lightwhip of the Dark Lady Lumiya."

This is all well and good, but the character I really, really want to learn about is Grambo the Worrt, who is only mentioned twice, and one is conjecture. He's mentioned by Solo on p. 2 in Children of the Jedi and is possibly seen on p. 6 of Jar Jar's Mistake, a young readers book released with TPM. Just how does a nowhere-near-sentient Worrt become a crime lord? ;)

23. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    // reads Abel's blog entry

// geekgasm

Damn. [face_blush]

Very interesting stuff. My favourite foreign word has to be Kamino. I don't know why, but it feels strangely fitting. :)

24. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Cynical wrote:
    ?Awesome! Maw and Boc, the ugly couple!?

Jeez, ain?t it the truth! :)

Kast_Morben wrote:
    ?Yesss!

"Siolo'urmanka"

Reference to 'Nameless'!

I you Abel.?

I know. :p

Danke, Kast. I?m always bewildered that people can catch these references, they?re not always easy to spot. Which goes double for with the Twi?lekification of Siolo?s name. I try to integrate as much Tales info back into the canon as is practical.

Rogue_Follower wrote:
    ?I too love the Jedi Shadow reference and have been waiting for one for a long time. ?

You ain?t the only one, Rogue. The concept of Jedi Shadows was so darn cool to me, I?ve been waiting forever to use em.

?So, Jedi Investigators are considered Jedi Shadows now??

I wouldn?t go that far. Jedi Shadows are definitely Jedi investigators, but JIs are not necessarily Shadows.

?Droga is back...again, as is the Dark Underlord. ?

Look for this Sith and others to pop up in my contributions to Vader: The Definitive Guide.

?Jar'Kai: *Love* the X-Wing Alliance reference. Despite being one of the most EU-filled games, XWA has been largely ignored for its content.?

Thanks. The Jar?Kai backstory was a fun and complex little piece to write.

?Edit: Oh yeah, and a Tyne's Horky reference. What's that make, about three??

With a name like Tyne?s Horky, how can you resist?

Take care,
    Abel

25. Xanakh

Xanakh Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 1, 2002
    Admiral Screed and the Majestrix of Skye: too cool!

Now you just need to write Ali Tarrak and the Nami in somewhere. Oh, and make Pic a Lannik. :p

Great work, guys. These articles are every entertaining.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.