main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Kyle Katarn's Tale (Dark Forces Articles by Abel & Jason)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rogue_Follower, Apr 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    Abel and Jason, thx for another great part of the article. I love it and the many cool references and history and cartographing details. you two rock!

2. Kreuzader

Kreuzader Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    Where were Jedi Shadows first mentioned? I haven't heard of them before; thanks! :)

3. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    :D What can I say that hasn't already been said? ;) Let's see, the planets nearby Ruusan come from Marvel, the ROTJ novel, and...what *is* the original source for Tyne's Horky? YJK?

Wow. :D

TC

4. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    TC: Tyne's Horky is the mining colony in the Droids cartoon, though I don't remember if its name is mentioned there.

Kreuzader: Jedi Shadows were first mentioned in WEG's Tales of the Jedi Companion, but have been largely ignored since. Which is too bad, because the concept of a Jedi actively hunting Darksiders is just darn cool. :cool:

5. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    Are there going to be stats/info on the Brothers of the Sith?

Whom is the dark underlord?

I recognize Drogheda from MC (planet of Lando's Queen girlfriend wom is ousted from the planet) and Tyne's HOrky, but not the other two planets. Info?

Since you two are so Force-user obsesseed, could y'all do ome articles on the Jedi Councillors so far ignored by the RPG? COleman Trebor, Agen Kolar, Stass Allie, Pablo-Jill, Tyvokka, Micah Giiett, Jocasta Nu, T'un, and Tor Difusal come to mind.

6. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    yay, I back up Cilghals request! Those are far too underrepresented.

7. President_Sharky

President_Sharky Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2004
    I really hope that you guys have a Planet Hoppers covering the worlds of Revenge of the Sith in the works. It would be nice to have stats for Utapau, Mustafar, Felucia, Saleucami, and Kashyyyk.

8. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Jedi Shadows was mentioned in the Katarn article. The Dark Jedi pics of everyone was good.

9. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    Rogue_Follower wrote:
    ?This is all well and good, but the character I really, really want to learn about is Grambo the Worrt, who is only mentioned twice, and one is conjecture. He's mentioned by Solo on p. 2 in Children of the Jedi and is possibly seen on p. 6 of Jar Jar's Mistake, a young readers book released with TPM. Just how does a nowhere-near-sentient Worrt become a crime lord? ?

I have no clue. Now, frog-dogs on the other hand make excellent crime lords.

JoinTheSchwarz wrote:
    ?Very interesting stuff. My favourite foreign word has to be Kamino. I don't know why, but it feels strangely fitting. ?

Kamino! How could I forget that one!

Xanakh wrote:
    ?Admiral Screed and the Majestrix of Skye: too cool!?

Mission accomplished. :)

?Now you just need to write Ali Tarrak and the Nami in somewhere. Oh, and make Pic a Lannik. :p?

Folks might be quite surprised at Pic and Gorc?s origins.

?Great work, guys. These articles are every entertaining.?

Thank you Xanakh.

CeiranHarmony wrote:
    ?Abel and Jason, thx for another great part of the article. I love it and the many cool references and history and cartographing details. you two rock!?

Thanks CH. Always a pleasure when you drop in.

TalonCard wrote:
    ?:D What can I say that hasn't already been said? ?

How about this: The Twi?lek Jedi Newar Forrth is from the Dark Forces novella Jedi Knight. However, the backstory about his remains being shaped in three idols in his image is a thread picked up from the Patricia A. Jackson Adventure Journal #12 story, ?Idol Intentions.? In fact, in an early draft of the Dark Forces Saga articles, the Jedi archaeologist from that story Colonel Tyneir Renz was Jerec?s master. But someone better came up?

To be continued.

Best,
    Abel

10. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2000
    [blockquote]Now you just need to write Ali Tarrak and the Nami in somewhere.[/blockquote]

[image=http://www.starwars.jp/character/image/nute_gunray.jpg]

[Nute]Ahhh...obscure TIE Fighter references![/Nute]

11. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    Now that's an article.

I dearly hope there's plans for a RotS planethopper.

12. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    There's supposedly a Kashyyyk planet-hoppers in the works, but we've not heard about it for some time now.

13. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Senator_Cilghal wrote:
    ?Are there going to be stats/info on the Brothers of the Sith??

You bet.

?Whom is the dark underlord??

The Dark Underlord was first mentioned in passing in the WEG book Heroes and Rogues. In the History of the Mandalorians article, he was mentioned as one of the Sith Lords during the New Sith Wars era.

?I recognize Drogheda from MC (planet of Lando's Queen girlfriend wom is ousted from the planet) and Tyne's HOrky, but not the other two planets. Info??

Yipes! Jace?

?Since you two are so Force-user obsesseed, could y'all do ome articles on the Jedi Councillors so far ignored by the RPG??

Lookin into it, Senator. :)

President_Sharky wrote:
    ?I really hope that you guys have a Planet Hoppers covering the worlds of Revenge of the Sith in the works. It would be nice to have stats for Utapau, Mustafar, Felucia, Saleucami, and Kashyyyk.?

Nice suggestion, Sharky. :)

Excellence wrote:
    ?Jedi Shadows was mentioned in the Katarn article. The Dark Jedi pics of everyone was good.?

I was worried about how these would turn out, but the folks at Wizards did a good job. Last I heard, though, they were scrambling for a Desann pic when they realized the Chistori weren?t in the Ultimate Alien Anthology. :p

Pelranius wrote:
    ?Now that's an article.?

Now *that?s* a man with good taste.

Take care,
    Abel

14. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    >In fact, in an early draft of the Dark Forces Saga articles, the Jedi archaeologist from that story Colonel Tyneir Renz was Jerec?s master. But someone better came up?<

:D

15. Dante_Glass

Dante_Glass Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    Wow, these really are quite something, how many more do we have?

16. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    TC: I know you just love those teasers. :D

Dante_Glass wrote:
    "Wow, these really are quite something, how many more do we have?"

Thanks, Dante. (I always wanted to say that!) :p

Unfortunately, the Kyle Katarn's Tale minis series comes to an end with Mission 5, but the Dark Forces Saga rpg articles continue with two more parts. Enjoy!

Best,
    Abel

17. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    And any hints as to what those two articles will cover? [face_praying]

18. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    >>Now, frog-dogs on the other hand make excellent crime lords.<<

A frog-dog or a [link=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/Rogue_Follower/Frog-Dog1.bmp]Giant frog-dog[/link]? [face_mischief]

19. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    My guess is Gorc, Pic and Jerec in the next one and Desann and Tavion in the final one.

20. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Pelranius wrote:
    ?And any hints as to what those two articles will cover? ?

Mav?s got it *mostly* right. I think I've been dropping hints for several weeks now.

Rogue_Follower wrote:
    ?A frog-dog or a Giant frog-dog? ?

[Best Robocop scumbag impersonation]: ?You?re?you?re dead. We killed you!?

Ah, I miss the Super Nintendo?s steroid-injected versions of the frog-dog and womprat. Don?t remember if Super Empire had one, but it did have the red stormtroopers, which author Michael Mikaelian said he used as inspiration for Lumiya?s Royal stormies in ?Lumiya: Dark Star of the Empire? in Star Wars Galaxy Magazine #3. :)

Take care,
    Abel

21. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    Super Empire Strikes Back's "Super bosses" were a giant wampa and a giant probot. The wampa was rather interesting in that it varied greatly from the filmed version: it had armor plates of ice, freezing breath, four nares (characteristic of tauntauns, not wampas), and an unseen torso and lower portions. It is definitely not your average snow beast, especially since the more normal wampas show up in the game as well. The super probe droid is more akin to the Hunter-Killer probe droids of DE because of its size. I haven't actually measured it using Luke as a yardstick, but I believe it is about 10-15 meters tall. Attacking from under water, it uses an ion pulse gun and (after you've damaged it enough) a underside flame jet. I've always designated it a Saboteur Droid, because of its size and firepower. Additionally, in the NES ESB, another large probot was showcased that had rocket launchers.

So the red troopers in SESB inspired Lumyia's. I had always suspected this, but now I know. :)

22. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    Wizards sure know how do drag out this Dark Forces series... It is terrible. (The wait not the articles).

23. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2000
    There's two times that I felt other EU sources were referencing the Super Star Wars games...

1. When Malakili's gaderfii stick was mentioned as being given to him by a band of Tuskens that had a run-in with a giant womprat. ( Star Wars Visual Dictionary. )

2. The rather large ice wampa in the ESB novelization, that gets destroyed by the Imperial Probe Droid, immediately made me think of the giant boss wampa in Super Empire Strikes Back.

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Don't forget the giant swamp creature on Dagobah in Super ESB ::)

25. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Teraab Sector planets....

Drogheda is from Marvel #83
    Istic is from the Truce at Bakura Sourcebook
    Pesmenben is from the Return of the Jedi novelization
    Tyne's Horky is from the Droids cartoon

'Twas fun to do. If memory serves there's a wee bit of geography left in the RPG articles....

J

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.