main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kyle Katarn's Tale (Dark Forces Articles by Abel & Jason)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rogue_Follower, Apr 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    Might this be the reference?

Palpatine often entrusted the early training of his darksiders to the Prophets. After enraging the Emperor, however, the ecclesiastics fled to their Supreme Prophet's stronghold on Bosthirda, and the Dromund Kaas temple remained abandoned for years.

Great article...the Gorc and Pic retcon is absolute brilliance.

2. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Awesome article, Abel.

So does this basically make "Ressurection" canon now? I mean, I always figured it was for my own personal continuity, Infinities-notwithstanding, but if so...

It's fascinating to think that Pic was a Kowakian monkey-lizard all these years...

[image=http://www.geocities.com/woodstockchat/crumbmug.jpg]

Finally Salacious B. Crumb is not alone in the universe!

3. Ph0enix

Ph0enix Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2002
    It's just a shame I can't get to the URL [face_frustrated]

though I did read Abel's blog and I must say I'm intrigued

4. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    >>Finally Salacious B. Crumb is not alone in the universe! <<

Well, there was that monkey-lizard in one of the Boba Fett stories in Tales.

5. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Did he have a name?

I'm purely speaking for Kowakian monkey-lizards who are named and actually have significant scenes in a story. ;)

6. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    Thanks Durnar! The Sithspawn origin in the subject of my most recent blog. :)

Glad you approve, CH! You might recall that the Dark Empire Sourcebook tells us that Palpatine plans to sick one or two of his other Hands on Mara for her ?betrayal.? I figured Blackhole fit the bill nicely.

Okay, better fess up.

Tavion will NOT appear in the Dark Forces series. Why, you ask? Well, it was hard enough selling the series to Wizards as a 6 parter, and with Tavion also appearing in Jedi Academy, well, a hard decision had to be made.

It?s possible there may be a follow-up to the Dark Forces series in the future, but for now, Tavion?s stats and backstory will have to wait. :(

Take care,
    Abel

7. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    I have to admit, I secrety adore this disgusting little guy. I have yet to understand why.

Abel

8. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    You can disregard most of my post, Abel. As for a follow-up, you got my vote for it.

9. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Well as long as Desann is in there

10. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    A continuity nightmare was created when the Dark Side Sourcebook insisted on the creation of ?fake? Prophets of the Dark Side, though it was arguably a necessary statement. This is just Jace and I doing our best to clean up the mess.

Ha! Maybe the fake prophets looted him.

I figured that was fitting. Thok, for those who don?t know, is the giant Gamorrean fighter from the Masters of Teras Kasi Playstation game.

As comprehensive as I try to be, there?s not always room for everything. :( They?re still on DK, though.

I believe so. I think I made it ambiguous on purpose. Not sure what Aaron wanted to do with that.

For those who aren?t familiar with it, Project Chubar was first mentioned in Aaron Allston?s Wraith Squadron books.

Take care,
    Abel

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Liked the Thok reference as well (he also had a CCG card).

I also liked how you gave Pic a "full" Kowokian name, middle initial and all ::)

And now we have a new Sith Lord: Darth Millennial. Does he come before or after Darth Andeddu? ;)[face_mischief]

>>Master Skywalker has decided to send a group of Jedi heroes on a quest to retrieve Yoda's lightsaber. It was last seen on Pic's dead body aboard the cargo ship Sulon Star. It's possible, though unlikely, that the corpse and the lightsaber are still there -- assuming the ship can be found. The heroes must track the clues leading to this legendary Jedi artifact, oblivious as to whose hand now rests on the hilt of the blade.<<

Is this meant to suggest the cyborg Jedi mentioned in the earlier article (who is he anyways?), or Lumiya and Vongerella?

12. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    I can't spot the Tales: Resurrection reference...

TC

13. CaelumExternus

CaelumExternus Jedi Master star 2

Apr 2, 2005
    I'm assuming the reference has something to do with the Prophets, maybe the Prophets angering Sidious by resurrecting Maul? But, after re-reading the story, it's on a moon, and neither Dromund Kaas or the stronghold planet are moons. Hmm.

14. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Aha! Got it.

Dromund Kalakar, the gas giant, has six moons. "Kalakar Six" was where Vader faced Maul, I believe.

15. CaelumExternus

CaelumExternus Jedi Master star 2

Apr 2, 2005
    Yes, that must be it.

16. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Boy, I got a little carried away with the quote feature there. I'll probably be using it much more sparingly in the future. :)

The man didn't earn a MOO award for nuthin!

Take care,
    Abel

17. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    Of all the times for the Wizards site to go down. :(

18. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Check back in just a little bit--it's been going up and down for most of the evening.

TC

19. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    Now that's interesting.

How did Sidious convince the Prophets to join him, though?

And what ultimately became of those Prophets, one might ask?

I assume that Blackhole was eventually killed by either Katarn or died on Byss?

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think Blackhole went mad during the GCW and vanished.

21. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    One of the seed adventures states that Blackhole, aka Lord Cornal, went back during the Mutiny to rub Mara out for El Clono.

22. Xanakh

Xanakh Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 1, 2002
    Never thought I'd see Project Chubar mentioned outside the X-Wing series. Borborygmous Gog and Doctor Raygar had to be involved with it somehow, I think. :p

As a Sith/Dark Jedi fan, I love the way you guys are tying together all the Dark Side detritus that has been strewn throughout the EU over the years.

Thanks for another fantastic article; you have left me somewhat sated in this mini-drought with no comics or books coming my way for a few weeks.

23. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    The2ndQuest wrote:
    ?And what have we learned from all this? Abel and Sturm shopped at the same overpriced electronics store for their video games twelve years ago ?

[face_laugh] Believe it or not, that wasn?t the first time I paid that much for a video game, though it was the only other occasion. The first time was even worse, as it was for an 8-bit NES game! But I?ll tell you this much: Super Empire was no Super Mario Bros. 2, either. ;)

(Boy that game was hard).

Kreuzader wrote:
    ?There was an episode of Icons on G4 with a history of SW games at Lucasarts, but they only had time to do very brief overviews of each one.?

Ah, thanks for that Kreuzader. I?ll check out the link.

Cynical wrote:
    ?Nice. My only exposure to Blackhole being reading Gambler's World on hyperspace last week, it was nice to see more info on him.?

We planned it that. ;)

I?m assuming you have Hyperspace, Cynical. If so, then if you read the Droids and the Force article where I talk about Lord Cronal, then you?ve technically had a little bit more exposure to old BH.

CaelumExternus wrote:
    ?Are the darksiders that created Maul in Resurrection related to the Dark Side Prophets??

Bingo.

?Is that how Sidious discovered them??

That?s an interesting question. That Sidious discovered the Prophets was actually first referenced in the Dark Side Sourcebook.

?So would Resurrection be on Dromund Kaas??

Kalakar Six, one of Dromund Kalakar?s satellites.

burrie wrote:
    ?Wee, Dromund Kaas information!

Wee, information about Pic and Gorc, the likes of which I had never expected!?

Wee, the adventure that brought Kyle Katarn and Mara Jade together!

Honestly, I've been having a helluva fun time with these. They shed light on so many things, and puts the whole Dark Forces story even further into the EU. Lovely articles, too bad that there's apparantly only one left.?

Aww, thanks burrie. These were a blast to work on, although right on the heels of the Mandalorian History, I thought I was going to pull all my hair out some nights. Continuity is definitely not for the faint of heart. :)

Mavrick889 wrote:
    ?Might this be the reference?

Palpatine often entrusted the early training of his darksiders to the Prophets. After enraging the Emperor, however, the ecclesiastics fled to their Supreme Prophet's stronghold on Bosthirda, and the Dromund Kaas temple remained abandoned for years.?

The Bosthirda ref ties into what was written about the ?true? Prophets in the Rebellion Era Sourcebook.

?Great article...the Gorc and Pic retcon is absolute brilliance.?

Thanks Mav. Go for broke, I always say!

Take care,
    Abel

24. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Hmm . . . I notice that this article didn't name what sector the Dromund system was in. Did you duct tape poor Jason to the ceiling while you wrote the last two articles, Abel? That was a little extreme, don't you think?

;-)

25. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Abel, you're not alone in your love of Salacious Crumb. Even today, I'm still always laughing at his cackling in RotJ.

[Adam Carolla voice] And by the way, forget Thrawn as the ultimate alien leader in the Empire...can you imagine the dread and fear that would pulse through the New Republic had they learned that this mysterious Grand Admiral was really a monkey-lizard?

I can see it now...Pellaeon walking into the personal chamber, past Rukh and the holographic art sculptures, up to the Admirals chair that dwarfs the little guy sitting in it, his nose poking out the top of the white suit that is three times bigger than him...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.