main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Kylo Ren/Adam Driver Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

Tags:
  1. sian1965

sian1965 Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 26, 2020
    Yes, that was one of the better things about it, pity we didn't see more of it.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    We'll see it in the Super Duper Sequel Trilogy

Darkstrider and godisawesome like this.
  3. chrisfree

chrisfree Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 28, 2006
    Indeed. These two made the lightsaber duels pretty interesting.

Iron_lord and HevyDevy like this.
  4. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    I don't think there's anything particularly 1950's about a mom and her brother training her son to fight with a lightsaber or something.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    No, what is 1950s is the idea that Leia—specifically Leia—should give up a career leading the New Republic to assist her brother in educating her son.

6. Darkstrider

Darkstrider Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2020
    I disagree with you. I think her specifically, who knew what it means to be Force sensitive along with the dangers of the Dark side of the Force allure, should have foreseen the danger in which her son was. And I think she knew that she could lose him. Her vocalized regret indicates this: "There's too much Vader in him.
    -That's why I wanted him to train with Luke. I just never should have sent him away. That's when I lost him. That's when I lost you both."

And since 1950s didn't have Force sensitive children, nor issues regarding raising them, or a galactic war as well, your comparison is moot point.

Strongly disagree. Parents' behaviour leave emotional response on their children. Even in regular, non FS.

I apologize if I misunderstood. I only replied because I don't agree with absolving hot guys just because they are hot. (once hot always hot)
    I guess what the question is why does SW has a history of absolving "sociopaths" and the main discussion point being can we judge them "sociopaths". Because if Anakin and Kylo are undoubtedly such and are solely responsible for their 'sociopathic' behaviour because they are simply sociopaths then, damn...SW absolves sociopaths...And I can't believe that.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    lovethedarkside likes this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It doesn’t matter whether the 1950s had Force sensitive children or not. The idea that if a child goes bad, and the mother had a career, the blame lies squarely on the mother because she should have given up her career, is antiquated mentality. Force sensitivity is not an excuse to regress gender dynamics.

And a 30-year-old Kylo is responsible for his own emotional responses. He does not get to behave however the hell he wants and use “but look at how I felt” as an excuse and then blame his mother for it. Just as no adult in our world can murder someone and say “but I was angry at the person!” The correct response to that nonsense is, Cool story. And? ...hell, kids are not even supposed to get away with “I was angry” as an excuse to hit someone.

This trilogy, or the narrative around Kylo specifically, asks us to ignore Kylo’s behavior and just look at his big, big feelings. If the movies had given us an actual tragedy or tragedies in his life the way the PT did for Anakin—enslavement, separation from his mother, his mother being murdered—there could be an argument for that. (Although I don’t think the PT did that for Anakin so much, he was certainly ultimately held accountable for his behavior by being burned alive.)

But with Kylo, the answer to “why was he so angry” is...his mother had a career and sent him to train with his Force sensitive uncle? That’s it? That’s what he is whining about? Take several seats Kylo.

8. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    They rotated the entire narrative around Kylo at the expense of the OT characters. That is why some people took issue with it.

9. sian1965

Apr 26, 2020
    Um....I think it's more that his mum sent him to train with his uncle who he believed tried to murder him in his bed.
    My big issue with Luke and Leia is that they apparently knew about Snoke and didn't do anything. I strongly suspect Han didn't, because he would have promptly killed him.

Darkstrider likes this.
  10. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Yet it was always going to focus on the next generation. That was the whole idea.

Darkstrider likes this.
  11. Darkstrider

Apr 16, 2020
    I can see that. But I don't think it is a question of either/or.
    Personally I think TLJ Luke was awesome. For the most part due to the fact that he lacked arrogance that even Yoda himself associated with the Jedi. A trait the hint of wich he was showing in RoTJ (when he entered Jabba's palace). He freed himself from that. For me, that is something worthy of respect.

@anakinfansince1983 I think you generalize. Thank you for the discussion though, but as I said I disagree with you.

sian1965 likes this.
  12. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    you can focus on the new characters without belittling the old ones.

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    “He believed.” I think this quote covers that:

Not only did they try to invoke sympathy for Kylo by throwing Luke under the bus, even that was a concentrated fail, because believing Luke wanted to kill him does not justify joining the First Order and murdering multiple other people.

As far as Snoke, I very seriously doubt that they knew exactly what Snoke was and let Kylo spend time with him anyway. That would make no sense.

This is also why we need background on exactly how Snoke met Kylo and convinced him to join him, a background that does not vilify Leia, Han or Luke.

14. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    It's never stated that Luke *wants* to kill Ben Solo. It says he fears losing everything he built and love, where for a "fleeting moment" that fear got the best of him. This goes to show that even wise jedi like Luke skywalker are not infallible, that even as a jedi master he is still facing challenges and learning, himself.

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    What I am interested in, is what the hell Luke saw in Kylo that made him that afraid in the first place. It doesn’t justify or excuse Luke’s asinine move at all but it seems that Kylo had already turned.

16. Darkstrider

Apr 16, 2020
    I think Luke, Leia and Han were only further humanized in ST not belittled. Leia had "flaws" in OT, all of them had. Han was a criminal who shoots people first, Leia was arrogant, so much so she couldn't admit she loved Han in ESB.
    Well, truth to be told, Luke didn't have much flaws, he was simply good, but still he was naive at times and lacking faith, giving up too easy.

Their 'flaws' is what makes them interesting in my honest opinion...and relatable. That's why I like them.
    But that won't mean I won't discuss what I think they could have done better.
    So, as far as I'm concerned no belittling.
    He who is without sin cast the first stone....and all that.

sian1965 likes this.
  17. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    But they grew in the OT. They regressed them too much imo. There is a lot of room between perfect and what we got. Of course I don't want them to be perfect of and course characters face obstacles.

18. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    That he would bring destruction to everything he loved. He sensed the darkside growing in him. So, it wasnt immediate. Rise of Skywalker should have wrapped this up, which is why I said awhile back that ep9 should have focused more tightly on Rey, kylo, and this area in particular.

The Last Jedi was smart in closing in on these themes. It seems theres a side that saw the more intimate connection with the force as the bigger picture, and then those that think the direction should have been more akin to Tros with 10000000000 blaster fires and 294948383 ships in space. Tros went for the latter, imo less impactful route.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don’t think efforts to blame Luke, Han or Leia for Kylo’s behavior “humanizes” them at all, nor did they need further “humanization.” No one who enjoys the OT thinks that Luke, Han or Leia were perfect.

Attempting to blame them for Kylo’s behavior does two things:

—demonizes them
    —promotes the narrative that it’s perfectly acceptable for adults to blame their parents or other people for behaviors that they chose to enact or participate in, rather than taking responsibility for that behavior—and that it’s perfectly OK for such adults to blame their parents even when their parents loved them and did the best they could. That mindset is immature at best. At worst, it is sick and disgusting.

20. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    I thought you just said you *wanted* to know more details on that area. I agree. That part should have been the impactful moment in ep9. Instead, for some odd reason, jj found the whole notion of "rey palpatine" as more important.

What you are saying is just projecting how you think things played out. We dont know.

It doesnt demonize the characters imo.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I was responding to the idea that blaming Luke, Han and Leia for Kylo’s behavior “humanizes” them. We were posting at the same time.

On your post, “sensing the dark side growing in him” is too vague, so yes, I wanted more details.

Def Trooper, wobbits and ChildOfWinds like this.
  22. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    They are his family so of course they are involved to some degree just by that fact, but you are forgetting about snoke. Its said from the start that "no, it was snoke that turned our son to the darkside" and "snoke had already turned his heart". Past episodes have already shown what the darkside can do to people and how one can be deceived or tricked or being transformed into someone lusting for power and control, especially when it is already at their fingertips.

I think everyone wanted those details. I think that's why people are so split on TLJ. Because continuing what that film prioritized would being bringing those interpersonal, intimate moments about the force etc full circle. Tros abandoned that. Imo that wasnt just the heart of the sequel trilogy but of the entire saga as well.

sian1965 likes this.
  23. alwayslurking

alwayslurking Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 21, 2019
    That's why Kylo needed to have a connection to Rey that tied into his fall (whether familial or something else). Once they decided to make Rey unconnected, the why's and where's of Kylo's fall was no longer an important aspect to be explored by the narrative in a movie trilogy about Rey. For all it's faults, I'm glad that TROS remembered who it's protagonist was.

24. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    They also wound up rotating the entire narrative around Kylo at the expense of Rey directly and Finn indirectly.

*That’s* the salt in the wound. Having the OT characters end up mostly wasted opens the wound, but seeing Finn get demoted in favor of Kylo and having Rey’s character basically smashed into a crude, bland and boring characterization to try and pretend Kylo’s more interesting than he is leaves the bulk of the ST’s success on Kylo.

And he ain’t worth it.
    Luke had flaws that defined his character arc in ESB and TLJ. That’s the entire point of his storyline in ESB and ROTJ: his virtues at war with his flaws and inadequacies.

Though I’ll say that my issue with Luke is more that I find his story is redundant to the point of arguably requiring a dismissal of his OT story for the sake of seeing his ST story as possible... and that it‘s simply not as good as his OT story, so its a net loss. It also doesn’t ad anything to Rey’s story, and REY. MATTERS. MORE. to the ST than Luke does, honestly, particularly once Johnson decided to kill the character off as well.

It also doesn’t help that the only ST character Luke’s story seems to help is...Kylo. And it only really works if you think that Ben Solo is sympathetic enough to justify Luke’s breakdown. And I don’t . At all.

TLJ ultimately feels like a Generation X film that’s a bit pretentious and blind to it’s own flaws, which makes it feel like a movie out of time. In the same way that Luke’s story feels like a trying-too-hard and somewhat ignorant complaint about Luke being “too perfect” in the OT that’s missing the bigger point about mass murdering fascists coming back to the fore, Kylo’s story has its head stuck in the dirt thinking that Kylo can be the sympathetic, edgy character we can focus on, instead of, say, the fascist who needs to be stopped because suddenly they’re a thing again.

25. sian1965

Apr 26, 2020
    It's exactly why I like them as well.:)

Darkstrider likes this.