main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Kylo Ren/Adam Driver Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

Tags:
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Well said as always.

I would add that Kylo had no “hardships” for me to sympathize with, so if compassion is sympathizing with the other person’s hardships, a demand to feel sympathy for Kylo still involves taking his melodrama and whining seriously.

And I’m good being considered a “cold” person for acknowledging that, and acknowledging that Rey should not forget his behavior in TFA because he took his shirt off and made wobble lips and puppy eyes. That’s not compassion, that’s being dumb and shallow and spineless.

2. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    And the worst part?

It’s not even really Kylo having over characters sucked in to service his story. Kylo, if serviced that clumsily, would at least still be recognizable as a Villain Sue, not a Blackhole Sue, which is what he’s playing instead.

It’s Ben. The still very much hypothetical, mostly non-existent, and still privileged and delusional non-entity that Driver wound up playing for only a few mostly silent minutes that LFL held as more important than his potential as a villain, both for the main conflict of the ST and for Rey on a personal level, more important than the character having agency and a genuinely dramatic story of his own fall, more important than giving Boyega his due as a male lead in any medium (even comics), and more important than giving his family a happy or tolerably bittersweet ending.

And y’know what? I can get the over-valuing of Ben on a concept level - Driver doesn’t get a character of substance by that name to portray in TROS, but the man’s skills and charisma are well known, he clearly knew how to channel a Han Solo-like attitude even while quiet... and I’m a huge fan of Jacen Solo, who’s basically what Ben Solo is supposed to be, but the actual full-on deal, and not a hallucination.

But at no point did the concept of Ben Solo get actually realized, even in comics and stuff like that - the character is still 90% sociopathic loathsomeness throwing itself pity parties.

And everything we’ve read says that it wasn’t supposed to be his series at any point - it was always meant to be the main female character, whether under Lucas’s plans, Arndt’s drafts, of the actual ST story under Kennedy’s supervision. But we can also tell that at some point Kennedy and co., perhaps unconsciously, began subsuming Rey’s story for Ben’s, as insubstantial as it was. That’s what soemthing like Chris Terio pointing to Palpatine’s return being based on serving Ben’s story of redemtpion over being a good villain for Rey shows.

And that’s the main mistake for the ST: valuing a five minute monosyllabic performance from an underserved and overqualified actor over everything else in the story.
    But the actions she takes based off that action can and *does* become exclusive sometimes in impact during the films.

Leaving Kylo unconscious, intact, alive, and free aboard the Supremacy instead of capturing or, yes, being willing to kill him if he resists capture, makes Rey negligent, liable, and responsible for all the deaths he causes after that point - he has already forsaken mercy, a third chance to make the right decisions, and he’s declared himself an enemy of the Galaxy. Acting in compassion for him by leaving him unmolested becomes inaction and a lack of compassion towards his future victims - on film, the Resistance members who don’t survive the battle on Crait, and off screen, everyone who dies under Kylo’s reign as Supreme Leader.

That’s where the issues comes up - a “Saint” having compassion for all, even the lowest human monster, makes sense as a sign of their idealism... but it becomes a hypocritical endorsement and tacit approval of the monster’s actions if the “saint” will sacrifice others to give the monster a second, their, fourth, or fifth chance.

3. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    The entire point of the Luke/Vader story is the son redeeming the father. Comparing Luke/Vader to Rey/Kylo is pointless imo. They are 2 different stories. Yoda and Obi Wan want Luke to kill Vader. This is not murder; they are at war and millions of people are dying. Luke says "I cannot kill my own father." That is a real reason which gives the story weight. Not "I had a vision, which we won't even bother showing the audience."

4. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    And what made Luke's love even more potent is the fact Vader was never made overly sympathetic even in ROTJ. While Vader didn't wibble wobble his lips, you did see Vader staring out into the Endor forest after having the conversation with Luke on the catwalk, which is all you needed to know that there was conflict in Vader. Kylo really needed a more subtle scene like the Luke and Vader catwalk conversation IMO.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I felt more pity for Vader in that one scene than I felt for Kylo anywhere in the ST, except for the moment when Kylo felt Leia die. The way Vader leaned over the railing after Luke said “then my father is truly dead”—after the PT I could almost hear an “I’m sorry, Padme” going through his mind. Before the PT that moment just made me wonder what his pre-Dark Side life had been like.

And Vader was humanized in that moment without the mask coming off, as opposed to the notion that Kylo was automatically supposed to be more humanized just by taking the mask off. All taking the mask off did for Kylo was put forth a narrative that ‘I’m still evil but you’re supposed to like me anyway because my hair is pretty and I can make sad eyes.’

6. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    Even worse than her leaving him there is that we don’t see her make the decision to do so! How many posts have you read basically saying “well, she’d have to carry him” when she levitates a field of boulders ten minutes later. Poe gets punished for losing some bombers (which is less than Holdo did later in the film but I digress) but Rey doesn’t get even called on leaving Kylo there. She allegedly knows Leia wants him back. She sure as hell knows that he will lead the First Order after she’s gone and her “mission” is to fix him so she just leaves him there? Why?

(I’m also still hung up on why she has Snoke’s shuttle full of Maker knows how much intel on the First Order and that just gets lost along the way too.)

Vader saying “it’s too late for me, my son” is a hundred times better than all the moments of Kylo whining about how he’s conflicted because James Earl Jones and Mark Hamill sell that scene like the rent is due in five minutes, when Hamill is reacting to Prowse and Jones is reading the lines months later in a recording booth. They should have gotten way more credit for it, especially now when TROS shows you how ROTJ could have gone off the rails.

7. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    The range of inflection JEJ gets out of Vader's voice is truly remarkable.

8. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Vader has been terrifying the galaxy for 20 years. they are still filling in details of how many people he killed in canon. it could be argued he is a little tired at that point to say anything more than "its too late for me son", its been too late for a long time now. Kylo is still fairly new, he is very much looking forward as a young man, while Vader had already been through that and was looking back. obviously being much older and more experienced.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  9. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    The thing about Vader is that the set-up only needs to unfurl once, which allows Vader to A) display a sympathetic turmoil only once that then gets paid off in the same film, and means B) he’s allowed to be somewhat morally rational for the scenario and show agency in that same story as well.

And Vader was still a supporting character.

The only scenario Kylo could have really experienced similar to that was in TFA, if he’d answered his father’s plea and been redeemed there. After he killed Han the way he did and reacted the way he did, there was really only two ways forward with him:

1 - He’s an emotionally irrational fanatic who has agency, but that makes him more like Palpatine and fundamentally incapable of being a sympathetic character, and obviously do.

2 - He’s a mentally irrational victim without agency, in which case he can be sympathetic, but is too insubstantial as a person to be a lead character or for anyone who wasn’t invested in Ben before his fall to care about him.

1 could have worked with a Villainous Protagonist sinking into greater and greater villain, but LFL clearly didn’t want that and wanted the set-up of 2 while pretending he could be a protagonist.

It’s a bit like how different comic writers tackle Two-Face in Batman - the more you want him to play a central role in the story, the more you have to give one side of him agency and control over the other and lean less on the split-personality idea, and if he’s supposed to be a sympathetic tragic protagonist (like in The Long Halloween, his first BTAS story, No Man’s Land) then you have to let Harvey act in at least some emotionally rational ways that belie his supposed irrationality (like taking down his old enemy Carmine Falcone after everything he’s done and surrendering to Gordon and Bats, saving Grace from Thorne, or Harvey managing to argue down and defeat his Two-Face side when putting Gordon on “trial”).

If you want Two-Face to just act as a monster that has agency as a Villainous Protagonist, than you let the Two-Face side be in charge for the story and downplay or ignore the Harvey side of the split personality (like in any story where he’s just a villain and can get super-sadistic, like when he’s played as the archenemy of the Robins.).

But if you don’t want him to be any kind of protagonist with agency... then you play up the split personality side and remove his agency (all those stories where taking away his coin incapacitated him, or when his personalities oppose each other but can’t overwhelm each other.)

10. FromDromundKaasWithLove

FromDromundKaasWithLove Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2020
    It also serves to exemplify The Last Jedi's complete lack of interest in Rey as her own character.

Rey says, more or less, that she is going to try to turn Kylo Ren for the sake of the Resistance yet she lets him live after he has made it abundantly clear that he is not going to turn and that he intends to destroy the Resistance along with everything else he deems a part of the past, and the film doesn't think it's important to devote even a single line to address this contradiction between her expressed motivation and her actions, let alone a scene. That's how little it cared about Rey's motivation.

It doesn't even think it would be worthwhile to expand and explore Rey's character by including a scene where she tries to think about a way to take him captive and struggles with the decision of whether to kill him or not because she knows what the consequences will be if she lets him live.

(Quite frankly, it feels like the film isn't interested in Rey's character, let alone in exploring her character, unless it's about working it in conjunction to another character, such as Luke or Kylo Ren)

The film didn't think that it was worthwhile to give that kind of attention to someone who is the main character of the film and of the trilogy as a whole.

11. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    Not really. It isn't about disinterest in Rey's motivation, it's Rian's economic style. It's similar to "where is Rey" cut to Rey on Ahch-to and "where is Han" cut to Kylo on Supremacy. It eliminates repeating the information we know, but it also robs us of character's emotional reaction to the information. So in case of Rey leaving Kylo alive, I understand that from his POV it's telling enough that she spared him, we didn't have to see her standing above him pondering what to do and why. I disagree because I think that part was needed for the audience to experience emotional reaction (like in case of Luke's reaction to Han's death for example) but I also understand that his decision wasn't disinterest in Rey. It's simply his style. if he thinks something is clear, he won't extra clarify it if you know what I mean. That's why I find his movies remote. I'm always for more of Peter Jackson-like emotion milking than efficiency that leaves one cold.

12. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Pretty much. in TROS we didn't need to watch Rey figure out she was gonna go to the death star alone, we didn't need a sign she had to think about whether to wait for her friends or not because they are her friends. they cut to her travelling to it was really all you needed to know what decision she made.

13. Jedi_Fenrir767

Jedi_Fenrir767 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 16, 2013
    Rian ‘s economic style is one of bloated overpriced items (Canto Bight) while completely ignoring the smaller more important character moments such as your where’s Han and Rey contemplating killing Kylo. Those moments are worth more than all of Canto Bight to their characters so if that is his economic style then it makes me think of awful big corporations where the produce the big and flashy stuff but forget about the actual quality items.

14. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Yeah, I’d have to say that if “Luke drinks space cow milk” and “Goofy short alien thinks R2’s a slot machine” are in the movie, then there isn’t an “economy” of story.

What there is, is a supposition that there is neither a character need to have Rey tempted by the chance to capture or kill Kylo after he’s made it explicitly clear he’s an unrepentant and murderous madman, nor any reason to explain that to the audience.

Both are pathetic farces; no dramatic character taken seriously by the script is going to not be tempted by that set-up - your anti-heroes (and even some regular heroes) will just kill him, and the paragons will be tempted to show their flawed side - and clearly Johnson just doesn’t think anyone else is curious about the scene - which just shows he’s got a myopic and poisonous amount of favoritism towards Kylo and an apathy towards Rey.

15. PendragonM

Mar 7, 2018
    Excellent point. If it was Kylo deciding what to do with Rey, we would have seen it.

16. FromDromundKaasWithLove

Jan 20, 2020
    Case in point, the film didn't think it was important to include a scene of Rey deciding not to kill the new big bad, even though she knows it'll be a decision that will be paid in blood, but it did think it was important enough to include a scene of Kylo Ren waking up and reacting - a scene that, by the way, gives time to Hux considering whether or not to kill Kylo Ren while he's unconscious.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  17. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    I think the point was to show Hux's reaction to snokes death. which was always gonna be in question since Hux also answered to Snoke. and Kylos taking the supreme leader role and making Hux answer to him now. and the thing with Hux thinking about killing Kylo was comedy lets be honest. the pay off was that Kylo woke up and Hux acted all innocent.

Kylo being alive in general shows Rey made her decision. the only thing it doesn't do is please those who wanted to see Rey pick a side through onscreen thought.

18. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    I think some may think it doesn't give emotional context to the character of Rey and her decision making. I don't fully think similarly about that scene specifically, but I think that's in other parts of the movie for the character.

19. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    I always liked how disappointed Vader was when the falcon escapes to hyperspace at the end of ESB. He didn't even kill anyone, that's how bummed he was.

20. Sadie Erso

Sadie Erso Jedi Master star 3

Aug 3, 2020
    Man, the discussion goes quick in here!

devilinthedetails likes this.
  21. FromDromundKaasWithLove

Jan 20, 2020
    Would you believe me if I said this was a slow week?

No joke, I've seen this thread jump through three pages or more in a single day.

22. PendragonM

Mar 7, 2018
    Also an excellent point. And, as I recall, Domhnall Gleeson had to fight to get that scene in.

23. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    It's too quick for me to keep up with, honestly. Most of the time I just read the last page and consider myself all caught up[face_laugh]

Sadie Erso likes this.
  24. Sadie Erso

Sadie Erso Jedi Master star 3

Aug 3, 2020
  25. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    Rey was not seen making the choice of not killing Kylo because of her 'you failed him by thinking his choice was made' to Luke (Luke losing it for two seconds in the hut) Either a)she had simplified things after her vision or b)this was a proof of Luke's attitude in the hut being the correct one. Kylo had to die, he was beyond turning.

Rey chose a). Luke was right: 'this is not going to go thecway you think'. But Luke-in-the-hut was still wrong.

Ben was still there as a possibility, and the films proved her right. Retrospectively, that's how she survived TROS, by not killing him in TLJ.

lovethedarkside likes this.