main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Kylo Ren/Adam Driver Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

Tags:
  1. chrisfree

chrisfree Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 28, 2006
    Very eloquently put!

This last bit is why I felt the love-story angle was a bit too much. Neither character's story would have suffered without it and it can come across as a filler for other shortcomings in the storytelling everywhere. Hollywood/Disney 21st Century still has a problem having two main characters of the opposite sex have anything beyond a romantic relationship.

I haven't thought about this for a long time now but perhaps Ben and Rey's story could have been great as that of the siblings/cousins of the Skywalkers. As it stands, the current version is just an awkward copout of 'to skywalker or not to skywalker' into the future.

2. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    The thing for me is that Kylo never rose above monster, which meant that Ben Solo never really rose to the level of a tragic character I could care about enough to be rewarded in his redemption. Vader rose to Tragic Fallen Hero when he was revealed as Anakin, and Maul to Tragic Wretch when his past was clearly painted as being denied a chance at the light and being abused by Sidious, where they could still be a monster, but were more than *just* that.

Kylo Ren and Ben Solo's key problem is that they have a very good and safe premise for success, but that the execution fails to deliver, and in fact turns parts of the premise against itself, and I'd argue that's because TLJ poisoned the character by being shallow in its treatment of him and doing things backward.

A lot of that was because of a lack of communication between the two directors: Abrams basically burned the bridge completely for a simple emotional appeal pulling Kylo back from the brink and made Rey caring about Kylo antithetical to her personality and characterization *as he was*... only for Johnson to treat a simple emotional appeal as still worth considering before also rejecting it and decided Rey should be attracted to Kylo *as he was*.

It created this weird kind of mixed message - both directors seemed to agree that Kylo couldn't be redeemed the conventional way, neither explored his background, but TFA insisted he was loathsome yet TLJ was insisting he was sympathetic and tragic even though those previous two facts render that almost impossible without massive amounts of double standards or dismissing the meaning of his story thus far. Basically... Kylo's actions and story didn't matter in TLJ, merely his concept, which doesn't make him an interesting character. But the worst part was Rey being wrecked as a character because she couldn't believably find Kylo sympathetic, and the story overall being wrecked because Kylo's internal conflict just wasn't appealing enough to carry the weight of a male lead. You can't make a mass murderer with no attractive personality features attractive to his biggest victim or make his weak-willed resistance to just not doing evil the central premise of a film without making it shallow and downplaying and dismissing everyone else's conflicts.

Rey was basically getting undermined twice - she was becoming a shallow person because she was supposed to find him attractive when he couldn't realistically be, and his actions against her weren't permitted to matter, which neutered her story as well.

If TLJ had established Ben Solo being a sorrowful wretch brainwashed by Palpatine and let Rey talk to that side of him, they could have slowly built to her caring about him for the next film, or if they managed to make her get him redeemed first, she could have had faith or cared about him. The way Johnson did it, though, she fell in love with Kylo the Monster... which isn't really a good story.

3. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    You raise some great points, and I agree with everything you say. Especially the part I bolded. I hope in the future Hollywood can get a bit better about thinking of male and female main character relationships in ways that stretch beyond the always romantic. That would be great for creative and meaningful storytelling.

4. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    If they weren't going to have Rey successfully pull Ben over, than yeah, a long-lost siblings or cousins relationship where she would have some reason to not want to kill him in spite of everything, but also wasn't wholly invested in his soul because of their separation would work.

...It would also have allowed Rey to more likely than not have HER story take precedence over his - her and Luke's interactions wouldn't be wholly dependent on Ben, but on her as Luke's niece or daughter. That would automatically resolve a huge portion of the problem with Rey's story in TLJ - namely, that it wasn't Rey's story, but instead Luke and Ben's story with her as an audience member.

5. chrisfree

Apr 28, 2006
    As someone who read the EU decades ago and only remembers the main theme, I feel that not bringing over Han and Leia's family over to the big screen was a massive mistake. I saw hints of it reflected in Kylo's story but it was a missed opportunity. I felt those dynamics worked really well.

6. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I gotta say that I am grateful to the Sequel Trilogy for introducing me to Adam Driver. Now, I appreciate his roles in other things. I was impressed with his performance in Marriage Story because I started out mildly disliking his character to actually sympathizing with him. It takes a great actor to accomplish that. Driver is one of those people like Hayden Christensen with a dry sense of humor that you'd love to meet someday.

7. Def Trooper

Def Trooper Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2019
    I was just thinking this. They de-canonized the old EU but were open to bringing aspects of it forward. They had a sequel setup that allowed them the opportunity to at least create a version of those beloved characters and stories, and they just completely ignored it.

Rey being a Skywalker/Solo would answer most (not all) of the questions regarding her in TFA with minimal effort, there would be no dumb discussions about her status as main protagonist, explaining her investment in Ben/the Skywalkers would be easier, she'd be more marketable even if all the other Skywalkers died, it would be an olive branch to Legends fans, it would at least more closely honor George's treatments, and if they still wanted the "Influential Nobody" story, Finn is right there.

The pros of Rey Related seem to far outweigh the cons, and separating Kira/Thea/Rey from the Skywalkers and then "Mystery Boxing" her parents just seems like a horrifically unnecessary decision that crippled what could've easily been a "passable" trilogy if nothing else.

8. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    It’s a two-way mistake that Kylo didn’t suffer - creating a mystery box about Rey’s parents created a needless liability about the *best* possible answer (Rey Skywalker or Solo) by being a needless postponement of the necessary reveal, and then because that answer was obviously the best one, the temptation to go against it to avoid predictability led to Rey Random, which was the worthless answer, and worse than worthless of Kylo was getting special treatment because of his family legacy.

And you can see how Kylo’s family legacy becomes the single overriding feature of his character, even as his actions and storytelling are actively working against it... likely because Rey doesn’t have that connection as originally conceived. In TFA, he’s 90% the Jedi Killer from early drafts, and only 10% a bit of Sam. But in TLJ, even though he’s still mostly Jedi Killer, the small part of him that’s Sam becomes the target of tunnel vision by LFL.

9. reyvision

reyvision Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2017
    Kylo and Rey were trying very hard to be Budget Jacen and Jaina in their characterizations, even down to being "twins of the force," with the dyad nonsense and Leia saying repeatedly in the TROS novel she viewed Rey like a daughter. Which makes the decision to make them not Jacen and Jaina all the more baffling, especially when Rey ends the films with the Skywalker legacy... and Ben dies. o_O

10. Darkstrider

Darkstrider Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2020
    well one thing...if the brainwashed are not lost (which i agree by the way) then Finn is also a homicidal maniac. Since he kills bunch of 'em.
    As to other, please state facts....for one, where did Kylo kill masacre civillian village with mothers with their babies in their arms?

Why does it trouble you the notion that Rey has compassion for him? Why do you measure and compare how much of it she has for Finn and how much for Kylo....maybe Finn doesn't need her compassion?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  11. FromDromundKaasWithLove

FromDromundKaasWithLove Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2020
    If we're confining examples solely to the film trilogy: See the opening scene to the Force Awakens.

If we're not confining examples solely to the film trilogy: see the massacre of Tuanul ("The Force Awakens"), the massacre of the village on Tehar (Star Wars: Resistance - "The Children from Tehar") and the genocide of the planet of Fondor ("Star Wars: Allegiance" #2)

If someone hurt your friend so badly that they wound up in a coma, would you sit down with the perpetrator of their pain and fall in love with the person while they remain utterly unrepetent over what they've done to your friend?

Bonus question, would you also not list your friend in a conversation where you were bringing up the people the person had hurt?

While we're orbiting around the topic, can you name a time where Rey expressed concern for how her friends were doing/feeling and asked how they were doing? Because I can name multiple times that Finn did that, but I'm struggling to think of times where it was the other way around.

12. chrisfree

Apr 28, 2006
    I sympathise with the points you make and what I bring up is not to invalidate your views. They are perfectly valid.

As are thousands of people's who do exactly just that when they show compassion. Compassion is not there to be reciprocal. The little I know of religions, neither Christianity nor Buddhism requires compassion to be returned or to have any expectations. For example, it puzzles me that there are people out there who write to Death Row inmates, sometimes fall in love and marry them. By your definition perhaps a death row inmate is a murderer, not worthy compassion and understanding. Yet there are people out there who show just that. Unquestioningly. Without judgment. Are they write? I don't know. Are they worthy of compassion only if they show remorse or perhaps they eventually show remorse because they were shown compassion?

Kylo did an awful lot of bad things. Darth Vader did an awful lot of bad things. At the end of their lives both realised it didn't lead them to where they wanted to be.

This is akin to people wanting to hear 'I love you' from their partner thinking that's what makes it happen vs judging them by the actions they perform for you.
    She starts out by helping BB-8, helping Finn, Solo, joining the Resistance, staying on for Leia, going after Luke to help Leia AND the Resistance, feeling guilty about Chewie's supposed death, returning to Crait to help the Resistance, again. Going into the lion's den to help Ben and the Resistance, again. Her whole story is pretty much a subservience to being selfless. And the one time she does something seemingly selfish - care about Kylo - she gets judged. So I'm not entirely sure where you were going with that.

devilinthedetails likes this.
  13. FromDromundKaasWithLove

FromDromundKaasWithLove Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2020
    Thank you, but you are missing my argument.

This is irrelevant to what I'm asking. You seem to be laboring under the misconception that I'm saying that a person who has done horrible cannot or should not be seen as worthy of sympathy and understanding period when that's not really what I'm talking about.

This is about a "personalized" situation, so to speak. Rey's friend was hurt by Kylo Ren personally and to such a degree that he ended up in a coma.

That is not someone writing and professing their love to an unrepentent murderer on death road. That's more someone writing and professing her love to the unrepentent murderer on death road who sliced open her friend's spine and put them in a coma (to protect her from said murderer)

I've asked this question to multiple people and I have never gotten an answer:

If someone hurt your friend so badly that they wound up in a coma, would you sit down with the perpetrator of their pain and fall in love with the person while they remain utterly unrepetent over what they've done to your friend?

Being a good person does not automatically mean that you are a good friend, the same way that being a bad person doesn't automatically mean that you are a bad friend.

Someone can be awful to the whole world and still be a good friend because they treat their friend with respect, listens to their woes and offers them emotional support.

Someone can be a great person to the whole world and still be a neglectful friend because they don't listen to their friend's woes, they don't offer them emotional support and they don't stand up for them.

There are thousands upon thousands of people every day who tries to make the world a better place but that doesn't mean you or I consider them our friends.

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don’t believe in the death penalty, for a lot of reasons that are not on topic to get into here but which have little to do with compassion. And comparing Rey to someone who writes to mass murderers in prison and falls in love with them is probably accurate but also why I don’t like her as a character.

It’s not about whether Kylo was able to be redeemed and stop the horror. Obviously he was. It’s about Rey as a character and Rey having no motivation to reach out to him other than codependency and desperation, which is what I think leads many women to “fix” and fall in love with mass murderers—being paired up with someone who has killed multiple people and might easily kill you later (and in Rey’s case, has tortured her) is better than being alone? Or you can’t find a non-mass-murdering partner? Really? That’s pathetic. Or at best, a more charitable viewpoint—her motivation is listening to his drama and being gullible enough to go “awwww...”—and then show him compassion at the expense of others in the story because apparently Kylo’s feelings matter more than his treatment of them. I can’t respect her for that either, and it makes me dislike her.

15. chrisfree

Apr 28, 2006
    Maybe I do. Maybe I just view it differently. I'm happy to debate. :)

I see what you're getting at and in an utterly logical universe your argument would hold water. What I was getting at is that we are not living in a logical universe and fairy tales are even less logical than our lives. I would say perhaps your statement would be better phrased as not just saying 'falling in love' but 'falling in love and acting upon it'. It's my firm belief that 'falling in love' is not a rational decision you make. You either have the chemistry with someone or you don't. If you don't, you can respect them to the ends of the earth and back but that does not equate to the romantic notion of love. And yes, I would personally sit down with them. I think everyone deserves a chance to tell their story. In fact, many family members of such abuse choose to do that for that very reason. Some even choose to forgive. Something personally I find very difficult to understand, but as mentioned before: I don't feel I'm the person to judge them for that.

There are ways to act in Western Society that aligns with certain expectations on how to be a good friend. Western Society also sees the world in a very dualist way and prefers labels to make it easier to understand. Nothing you say is wrong in that framework and within that, I respect your opinion. For me, the world is a bit more colourful and I have friends who describe to none of the notions as described. Maybe we are particular in that sense. We don't all need feelgood acts of kindness to appreciate each other's friendship. And I know, sometimes we need to look good for people to accept our acts of good but that's not the only way. That's the way I see Rey's role in the ST. So she's not a smiley, touchy-feely woman and has a big-enough heart to sit down with the enemy and be inclusive. Not all wars need to be fought to both-sides' annihilation. DJ made a very shrewd point about that.

devilinthedetails likes this.
  16. chrisfree

Apr 28, 2006
    I have to respectfully disagree. I have been a global community lead for a certain thing and have made a point to reach out to those who are normally on the periphery of their communities. I have successfully integrated such snowflakes and have a track record of falling in love with none of them. For me reaching out to those who are or feel abandoned or are viewed with disdain is second nature. And no, not all of them can be rehabilitated but every one of them was worth a shot because not all of them were lost causes. I think that calling such effort as 'pathetic' just really speaks of your lack of empathy for certain groups which has been apparent over time. You have the right to view them with disdain of course. I am not here to change your mind.

But I feel that denigrating the efforts to make the world, even if it's a fictional universe, a better place really just speaks of the dark place you are in rather than to the light that such people are trying to bring about.

The storytelling of ST was full of mistakes and was sloppy in many cases but I have great respect for Rey's efforts in the face of adversity and in the end she was rewarded - even though I disagreed with that outcome myself too.

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Since you have a “track record of falling in love with none of them,” you are not Rey or any of the people I was talking about. If you think I was discussing prison outreach you missed my point entirely. And the disproportionate level of incarceration for marginalized people for “offenses” such as possessing a small amount of controlled substance, while rich ***holes get short sentences or no sentences for rape and murder because “awww, they have their whole lives ahead of them,” lead me to compassion for incarcerated people—and Kylo would be a GFFA version of one of the ones getting a short sentence or no sentence.

I do have a lack of compassion for privileged people who whine about their first-world problems and think their problems are more important than actual problems faced by marginalized people. I also have a lack of compassion for people who think they should be able to use some version of ‘I had the right to commit murder because someone or several someone’s made me angry.’ Those describe Kylo.

I also have a lack of compassion for people who—when they are fully aware of other options—decide that being paired up with a mass murderer is better than being alone or being with a decent human being, or decide that their mission in life is to “fix” mass murderers through romance—and ignore the suffering of the mass murderer’s victims because they are not as important as the mass murderer’s hot body and feelings. I call that “dumb on purpose,” and it describes Rey.

18. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    To me, it really comes down to this:

Is it an interesting or relatable story for Rey?

And the answer is a rather firmNo.

And that isn’t because the concept of enemies to lovers or forgiving the mass murderer or having a dark attraction can’t be done. It’s because it’s exceedingly difficult to do it well, and TLJ wound up being a case study in the worst possible way to do it, where it ends up bringing nothing of value to the story dramatically, philosophically, or entertainingly save for if you’re invested in Kylo in a certain way.

In fact, it mostly ends up being a massive liability.

-Neither Rey nor Kylo get any real depth established to make the interaction make sense, thus both are made more shallow and less interesting by design.
    -Any morality aspect of the story is horrifically skewed, as Kylo is blatantly abusive and exploitive of her but is treated with greater mercy and positivity than other like Finn and Luke; with Luke especially, attacking *him* while reaching out to Kylo becomes a bit of violent cruelty because it’s so unevenly applied.
    -Philosophically, it’s a disgrace to critical thinking and any ethos you can have - it’s simultanesounly unable to be determined whether it’s supposed to be a message of compassion for the wretched or a misanthropic lesson akin to The Farmer And The Viper, and hypocrisy is blatant when other First Order members aren’t given the he same outreach.

Let me put it this way - the substance of their interactions has more in common with The Joker and Harley Quinn than anything else... and it’s not a coincidence that whenever Harley gets a solo comic, show, movie, or episode, it’s always by having her face Joker’s unworthiness of her affections or mercy, whether she then makes the right decision or not after that realization. And of course, its The Joker, so him being The Viper is always a given. Kylo doesn’t have to be a Joker and thus Viper analogue, but the way TLJ is written... that’s what he *is.*

...Which, yes, does mean that Harley Quinn is written better than Rey, and there’s greater characterization, dramatic, and ethical and moral lesson offered on her comics than is offered in the ST.

19. chrisfree

Apr 28, 2006
    I certainly can't disagree with you there on all points. I am still happy to debate the story points on their individual merit because despite the mess of the whole, there were a lot of interesting things in there. I am not familiar with either the basic or extended story of the Joker and Harley Quinn (apart from the arbitrary Batman movie and Suicide Squad) so cannot comment on the strength of her character. I do know that based on the little I know I feel the premise of that relationship is also unworthy and as a logical person I wouldn't entertain it either. Perhaps both relationships mentioned are ridiculous to start with. I'm not sure. I can give you that Harley's story was probably better written because Rey's leaves a lot to be required to be a good one. :)

I guess based on the little I do know about Joker/Harley, I would still prefer Ben and Rey. There are far fewer psychotic elements in there. At least Rey seems a lot more grounded in her values, even if this leads her on questionable paths. What do you think?

20. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I’d say that Rey isn’t more grounded in her values because in no way does she have Harley’s set-up for her mistakes, and because the context is (startlingly) far worse of her than Harley because of context.

I mean, Joker, is traditionally a vile, unrepentant mass murderer... but so is Kylo, and while Kylo feels sorry for himself and offers up psychotic excuses for his actions to Rey, Joker is shown to embrace far more cunning manipulation strategies targeting Harley to exploit her good intentions and virtues. The sum total here is this: there’s at least a reason to be tricked by Joker and believe you can reach him, and far less reason to be tricked by Kylo or believe you can reach him.

Meanwhile, Harley is a psychologist who chose to work at the mental institution that Joker is in; she’s already got an education and motivation wherein “fixing” people and or practicing grace is a key ingredient. Rey is a scavenger survivalists on a brutally inhospitable planet, and demonstrates that her lack of choice in her situation has also contributed to some cynicism and vindictive philosophy to her personal ethos in TFA, in spite of her compassion. The sum total here is this: Rey does not have the philosophical underpinnings for a grace-based approach to her enemies, while Harley does.

And in top of that, there *is* an extra dimension added because Kylo is a fascist conqueror heading a slave state while Joker is a pseudo-anarchist super-criminal. They both have victims, but Joker are pretty much just those he kills and steals from, while Kylo must account for those he enslaves on top of those he kills and steals from. Plus... slaves soldiers themselves add a layer of “wretches” who arguably demand grace and compassion far more than Kylo. The sum total here is this: Rey has significantly more people to try and fix before Kylo compared to Harley trying to fix Joker, and even more people to save from Kylo than Harley does with Joker.

To me... what Rey needed to make her appeal to Kylo make sense on just a philosophical level is a complete overhaul of her approach towards him and others alongside arguably an overhaul on Kylo himself as well. What Rey needed to make her appeal to Kylo on a character level is a complete overhaul of her personality, priorities, and story so that her wanting to reach out to him would even make sense in the first place.

If you wanted to make a philosophical or moral point... you needed to do hilariously more work to do so without seeming hypocritical and biased as TLJ is.

If you wanted to make a believable dramatic story for Rey... you needed to even more work somehow to do it without seeming like you’ve hollowed out Rey’s character to serve Kylo.

(For instance, my pre-TLJ speculation of Rey Skywalker/Solo getting trained in Jedi morality by Luke still didn’t think she’d be anywhere near the moral wisdom and motivational headspace necessary to reach out to Kylo, and in that one, she actually has a personal and philosophical reason to do so - because telling the story to get there would still require more work.)

21. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I'd more buy the Rey is very compassionate and that's why she wants to save Kylo if she consistently showed that same desire to save other people like Hux, Snoke, and Palpatine. She doesn't. So for her it is not a matter of universal compassion. It's just a matter of plot convenient compassion, and that's my biggest problem with it. She could have been like Aang in Avatar: The Last Airbender. Aang the vegetarian. Aang who not only refuses to kill Zuko but also refuses to kill the Fire Lord Ozai. Aang who consistently displays compassion for all. If that was the ST's portrayal of Rey, I'd have many less issues with her character. Sadly, that was not the ST's portrayal of Rey. The ST's portrayal of Rey relied on vague explanations like Force soulmates instead, which ended up not being very meaningful or convincing for me.

22. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Yeah, all encompassing commitment to compassion for everyone lends itself very easily to showing compassion to the main villain. The audience in ATLA had every reason to be okay with Aang killing Ozai, but we also had every reason to understand why Aang refused to accept that possibility.

Part of the reason Rey whooping at blowing up TIE pilots on Crait is a problem isn’t because we can’t understand her joy at blowing them up, but because if we had to have her offer sympathy and grace to either the TIE pilots or Kylo... we’d be hard-pressed to think that Kylo’s hound get it instead, unless we already value Kylo above the TIE Pilots even though we’ve got a far more visceral accounting of his crimes than we do of these anonymous pilots.

23. Darkstrider

Darkstrider Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2020
    Don't remember seeing a single frame of mothers with babies in their arms from opening of TFA, but if you say they're there then they must be, because why would you lie.

I do remember seeing bunch of people with guns shooting first and sometimes in the back at stormtroopers, though.

1. I'm no Rey
    2. I'm no Jedi
    3. I don't know the Force the way she *knows* it.

For me it is totally believable that she would not kill someone she, for whatever reason believed or knew to be not as bad as he looks. Specially if she felt it through the Force.

And why do you take Finn's agency and responsibility for actions he did to cause his state. He attacked Kylo. Foolishly because he was no match for him. It would be like blaming Poe for genocide and murder for ruthlessly taking down bunch of starfighters with his x wing.

Can you clarify this i don't get it? didn't the first time you asked.

You mean why didn't Rey after calling Kylo a monster mentioned Finn as well as Han?
    I'd say, that the obvious answer is because he's not equally important to her?

Again, she probably doesn't care about it that much...afterall she has to go save Kylo....altho it rings me a bell that she did in TLJ? Before delivering herself into Kylo's hands, so-to-speak

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, that’s the point. She didn’t care. She is not a compassionate person, so any explanation of her behavior towards Kylo about ‘just being a compassionate person’ doesn’t work. Hormonal, silly, dumb enough to fall for wobble lips? Sure. But not compassionate at all. No compassionate person who isn’t related to Kylo is going to think he deserves special treatment.

25. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    But there you go, you said it.

Rey has been hanging out with people related to Kylo: Han then Leia then Luke.

with Leia telling only Rey, offscreen, about their familial connection, before sending her off to Luke.