main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Kylo Ren/Adam Driver Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

Tags:
  1. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    The more interesting thing for me will be seeing how a potentially bluntly antagonistic portrayal of Le Gris keeping to Marguerite’s POV would impact the audience versus the softer, obfuscating, and coddling ST approach to Kylo.

While, yes, I expect some fangirls and fanboys to go all “toxic ships are the best for my artistic muse!”… I also expect a story keeping its eye on the ball for a realistic POV to smother any significant amount of ‘shipping in this instance. “Significant” here meaning anything beyond the kind of smutty stuff that is just going to appear regardless - akin to the small number of people who *did* write Krennic and Jyn fan fiction.

I think some Reylo fans are insecure about the pairing whenever it goes into details, because on some level they understand how much it depends on the films’ insisting on a Kylo-biased POV. Remove that bias, and some of them would leave the pairing because their standards are too high otherwise.

If Le Gris gets the Commodus treatment, I fully expect any toxic ‘shipping of him to be minimal compared to what it could be.

2. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    To be honest i get the sense both sides are just as insecure as the other.

chrisfree likes this.
  3. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Is it really about sides? If it is I’m kind of on the fence. I don’t ship them in TFA and TLJ but Ben Solo’s and Rey’s last scene was really emotional for me.

chrisfree likes this.
  4. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    It’s an interesting question.

My current headspace says that the fact we have forbidden certain comparisons for Kylo that are at once both accurate comparisons but also highly inflammatory comparison highlights a greater degree of thin-skinned reactions on the part of people who don’t want to see Kylo as a villain.

They are inflammatory comparisons because they invoke Godwin’s Law alongside other dark and at time accusatory rhetoric… but often accurate rhetoric, nonetheless.

5. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    What about comparisons that are accurate, highly inflammatory, and literally made by the guy who created the character?

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Once criticisms of a character or a ‘ship are equated to criticisms of fans of that character or ‘ship, that “side” has cornered the market on being thin-skinned.

7. paradigmes

paradigmes Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 9, 2021
    It could have work, but to do what they did with Ben Solo at the end require far more initial groundwork to underpin the redemption story than what was done. They relied on audience goodwill and being familiar with Star Wars tropes like I say in other thread, in order to have audience just accept that Ben Solo was now a good guy separate from the Kylo Ren, who Rey could maybe be attracted to. For many audience member, that would be fine and I am not going to criticise them if they are happy to do this and enjoy the Reylo, but the huge gap in and missing narrative that sell a story like this is missing. I am supposed to accept from the writer “Do not worry about that Kylo Ren, he is gone now and this is Ben Solo, okay?” which is very jolting.

To work, I think that Rey need to know who Ben Solo was before he turn to Kylo Ren, so that her character has motivation to help save him and understand that his behaviour as Kylo is not normal for him, something like this. It isn’t enough that we as audience accept he may have been a good guy, the characters who interact with him in the story must also know and fully understand this, but they don’t.

The Kylo story remind me a little of a wrestling angle, when a heel wrestler suddenly for no reason other than the writers and management want this, become a face wrestler. It usually require the goodwill of wrestling fans to forget that the wrestler has been cheating, doing dirty tricks, trashing the good wrestlers for months or years before, and wrestling fans will accept this often as part of wrestling story culture, but I think it a bit much for writers to expect that Star Wars fans accept the same.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  8. sian1965

sian1965 Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 26, 2020
    Regarding 'thin skinned'.....I no longer 'ship' reylo because I've completely gone off Rey as a character, but I know quite a few reylos who have closed their SM accounts and shut down tumblr blogs (I have neither) because they have got some truly dreadful threats and accusations from those who dislike the ship, the Kylo Ren character, and even Adam Driver. It's why I do not have any SM accounts, apart from Facebook and that is purely for family.
    Yes, I know 'some' reylos have been unpleasant on SM - I personally don't know any of them, but none of us are saints - but they have also been victims of trolls. And I don't mean mild threats, I'm talking about threats of violence, rape, and even death threats. A 'reylo' fanfic author - a talented one at that - also erased everything she'd written on AoA for the same reason.
    The fact is, some people cannot differentiate between fantasy and reality, and unfortunately SM has given these odious bullies a coward's way of intimidating those who happen to disagree with them. It's saddening, it's worrying and it's infuriating.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    chrisfree likes this.
  9. paradigmes

paradigmes Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 9, 2021
    Nobody should get the abuse or death threat, that is awful. I think what most opponent of Reylo feel is that whilst it should be enjoy by anybody who enjoys that kind of story idea, the idea is strictly niche, fan-fiction element only, because it require too much mental gymnastic to even make it work at all. As soon as it appear in canon, in the saga story of all place, then it devalue the saga to the level of poor quality fan fiction.

10. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    I think anything in the ST could be considered Poor quality fan-fiction. not just Reylo. but in the end people are gonna attract to something, even if others don't agree.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    Jedi_Fenrir767 likes this.
  11. sian1965

Apr 26, 2020
    I think the poorest quality 'fan fiction' I've seen on film was the Hulk/Black Widow relationship in the Avengers films. I'm baffled as to why they came up with that one!

chrisfree likes this.
  12. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I agree that it wasn’t good but… I mean, that was still two heroic characters who’d had a positive relationship beforehand and who were teammates in a film that clearly established they’d had time to get to know each other better.

Don’t get me wrong, it was still pretty trite and seems more like an “obligatory romance” than anything else… but if that set off your “fan fiction” alarm… TLJ should should have been a four alarm fire in comparison.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  13. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000

That dude’s never makin a star war

14. sian1965

Apr 26, 2020
    Actually, I think he's a good choice for that.

godisawesome likes this.
  15. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Style-wise, Waititi and James Gunn are both two guys who know how to mix a humorous, tongue-in-cheek POV with a sincere, dramatic treatment of the characters and the emotional story of the film.

16. chrisfree

chrisfree Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 28, 2006
    Is it really about want? That part creates an illusion that anyone who does not see Kylo as a villain lacks the agency to make up their minds. I have participated in this thread for a while but simply being told that my POV is not as valid because I'm not seeing others' is just really not taking the discussion anywhere. We all have a chance to participate though and I prefer not to. I am sure the other side also feels the same and tbh, I find all this having to take sides and being boxed and labelled as somenthing quite tiring.
    For example, I did see Kylo as a villain but I also did not agree on a few things that made him black and white evil. Nobody is that simple. Well, perhaps Palpatine was but even the jedi were not. For example, while Yoda is my top favourite organic character in the SW universe, I am ok with acknowledging that he made mistakes and there were times when even his 900-years-old wisdom fell short. Do I expect everyone to love Yoda because he was one of the good ones? No.

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    What he was referencing in terms of being thin-skinned (the topic of discussion at the time) was the banning of certain terms or comparisons around Kylo because of posters who took criticism of Kylo as personal insults, so I definitely think “want” is appropriate there. Getting upset when Kylo is compared to some real-world villains, reacting to that often enough that the mod squad felt the need to take action, seems like not wanting to see him as a villain.

As far as “sides,” there is a difference between appreciating Kylo as a character and minimizing his behavior or labeling it less important than however he was supposedly feeling at the time, and the pushback comes from the latter.

wobbits, 2Cleva, ChildOfWinds and 4 others like this.
  18. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    This is not specific to Adam Driver/Kylo Ren but I think that when people say they dont like a movie character they really have to differentiate whether they dont like how the character was portrayed by the actor versus whether they dont like the character in the particular scripted role (i.e., Kylo Ren should not have been the movie "bad guy").

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
  19. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I don’t think anyone lacks the agency to make up their minds in this situation; I think that they simply become aware of challenge that TLJ poses to them thanks to its storytelling issues in comparison to other films and stories, and when they *do* choose whether to take TLJ’s interpretation seriously, there’s a consequence to the story and POV that some don’t want to deal with it.

Like, for instance, when you mention that “nobody is that simple,” most people can accept that without an issue in “competent fiction”… and the problem becomes that *if* TLJ is to be taken as “competent fiction”, then a lot of double standards and biases have to come up for Kylo’s treatment to be competent… or it has to be recognized as incompetent instead. Those double standards and biases are inescapable for some audience members when certain comparisons are used for Kylo, and some fans who like TLJ for Kylo want to escape it anyways.

He shouldn’t be a “black and white” villain… but the way TLJ portrays him, there’s too much weight and too little substance for him to skate by on the same thin layer of ambiguity he got from TFA. What works as a little bit of nuance to a bad guy a film treats like a badguy is one thing; what a potential love interest and de facto male lead for the female heroine who was his multi-victim in the last film needs to establish ambiguity and “shades of grey” is considerably greater.

Kylo is a dark enough figure through TLJ he’s hard to label “grey” without changing the rules a bit in some dubious ways, and some people don’t like having that pointed out.

In the Adam Driver/Kylo Ren example, it’s arguably even further removed from what we’re used to discussing because Driver doesn’t really change the already successful way he portrays the character between TFA, TLJ, and most of TROS - what ends up being judged is really more how other characters are portrayed by their actors opposite him or how other characters are in their particular scripted roles opposite him, not just the character itself.

I have no problem with how Driver played Kylo, and I think he did a great job whenever the context was “bad guy treated realistically by the characters around him” or “bad guy by himself brooding in a promisingly complicated way.”

And I even think that some of this stuff in TLJ could theoretically work if it were just his own short-film - mostly because there’s so little to his story that it kind of feels like a one shot villain comic with already lessened standards for moral ambiguity (the kind of story where a dark grey character can be contrasted with pitch blackness, but nothing else.)

…But when you add in other characters and how they’re scripted to react to him or how they’re scripted to participate in the story in comparison to him, it becomes a major issue. He can be a selfish, conceited, simplistically narcissistic villain as either an antagonist or as the star of a short villainous protagonist story - but he can’t be a male lead to someone like Rey or replace someone like Finn or be the only student Luke seemed to care about.

At least not without some major storytelling reveals and changes.

20. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    The major problem with Kylo is that his role was changed in a way that was fundamentally at-odds with what had already been established. He’s a badly-written, frankensteined character who’s extremely inconsistant - as one might expect from a character written by several writers who fundamentally disagree about who a character is and his role in the story.

Had Kylo been “a reverse OT Vader” he could have been amazing.” Had he been “a tragic confused anti-hero” he could have been amazing. But he ended up being a confused, awkward, contradictory mash-up of the two and really didn’t work.

Imo Kylo only works for those who have formed a perfected headcanon version of him. But canonically, on the screen, he’s a bad character. He was massacred more egregiously than Finn or Rey. Think “ending of GoT” character massacre.

I don’t say “Kylo was a bad character” with contempt. I feel sorry for Adam, who was pitched a brilliant character and barely got to play him. I would have loved to see that Kylo.

21. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I think the problem was with how Kylo was written, and why we are divided about him. Disney wanted it both ways; they wanted a Vader like OT villain and they wanted a dashing Anakin PT type fallen hero that would bond with Rey. It did not mix well to me.

wobbits, chrisfree, 2Cleva and 5 others like this.
  22. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Do you think both RJ and JJ tried to write him as both those concepts or that something else happened?

23. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I honestly have no idea lol. I do think Disney had a bunch of boxes for the ST they needed checked and wrote the story around it.

24. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    IMO Kylo being the reverse of anakin made the most sense for a 9 part saga. it is a very George Lucas thing to do. but as much as id like to give credit to JJ and Rian, i very much doubt they had that in mind. i think it was a late realization into episode 9 where they went... oh wait... so this is part of a 9 movie saga? ah crap, now how do we resolve this? episode 9 feels like its trying to tie itself to the saga. the previous 2 seemed like they were trying to be a film series revival.

25. alwayslurking

alwayslurking Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 21, 2019
    I don't even get what reverse Anakin means. Anakin went from good to bad to good again. So Kylo would go from bad to good to bad again? It makes no sense.