main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Kylo Ren/Adam Driver Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Artorian_Stormtrooper

Artorian_Stormtrooper Jedi Knight star 2

May 1, 2019
    Not if Luke and Leia lived to the end to pass the torch to Finn and Rey. One saga ends and a new one begins.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    alwayslurking likes this.
  2. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    The debate is whether or not that’s a good thing if it both ends a family story that some people wouldn’t want to have such a definitive ending, and ends it on a patricide at that, or whether it would be better to end the family’s story for now.

It definitely plays into how much one thinks that the Skywalkers existing threatens other heroes, vs how much one thinks that there’s no good reason to kill them off, and everything in-between.

2Cleva likes this.
  3. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Well lets look at it this way.

1. But Rey and Finn are not Skywalkers. they ain't this family that was part of the last 6 movies. And what you said is pretty much what we got anyway. Luke and Leia are gone. Rey and Finn live on. one saga ends and a new one begins. not sure what difference it would make if they lived as it would only be a matter of time before the last 2 skywalkers passed on. Rey and Finn would basically just be replacements for a failed linage.

2. Luke and Leia are gone. Ben is the last Skywalker. he sacrifices his life for another, showing the last skywalker did still have good in him. and he dies and the family is gone with abit more of a positive outcome and for the 3rd generation Skywalker to validate the linage was worth something.

3. Luke and Leia are gone. The last skywalker dies a bad guy. bleak ending.

I think number 1 is just as bleak personally. Number 2 is kinda poetic, but not particularly great. and 3 is just sad.

4. Artorian_Stormtrooper

May 1, 2019
    I never implied that Luke and Leia would die in the concept that I proposed. I would have wanted them both to live. Though, I also believe that 9 films with 67+ years of story is great for the Skywalkers. Just because Kylo becomes a Sith and meets his end, it doesn't mean that all hope would be lost. The point would be that people are able to forge their own destinies, be they good or bad. It proposes the question: How does a family cope when their child turns out not to be what they had hoped for?

5. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    But at some point they would pass on. Finn and Rey would just be replacements for the linage they can never have. slowly ticking away till the last skywalker remains and then no skywalkers. which isn't much different to them not surviving the trilogy anyway.

In the long run, the 3rd generation skywalker doing one last good act is probably abit more positive for a saga that really is about linage. Anakin > Luke/Leia >

Probably not very well. Its pretty tragic.

6. alwayslurking

alwayslurking Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 21, 2019
    One would have to have a freaking huge Ben Solo bias to think that Ben Solo's redemption (which was followed by his death 5 minutes later!!!) is a more satisfying or hopeful ending for the Skywalker family than Luke and Leia living. I mean, seriously. Yes, Luke and Leia would die someday, but dying someday is much better than dead now. At least in the interim they would have opportunity to influence the next generation, the lack of which was a major flaw of this trilogy. Rey and Finn would be much more accepted as the future of Star Wars if Luke and Leia (Luke especially) had been given the opportunity to actually mentor and influence them.

7. Artorian_Stormtrooper

May 1, 2019
    I wouldn't see Finn and Rey as replacements at all. They would be forging their own destinies under the guidance of Luke and Leia. If there were more Skywalker children, of course I would have loved that. I would have loved it if Rey turned out to be Luke's biological daughter, but that's not what we ended up with. The Skywalkers just have a very tragic Shakesperian story. Though I believe hope can come from even the greatest tragedy. For me, considering what we started off with in TFA, the Skywalker bloodline didn't have to live on. I would have liked to simply see their family inspire hope in multiple ways.

alwayslurking likes this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    So the solution was for him to not be evil in the first place. He could be a heroic next generation Skywalker.

That takes away from Rey being the protagonist? So does making her his fixer and not giving her any story that did not revolve around him.

Have the pair of them as siblings or cousins fighting off a new villain or villains, with Finn and Poe on their side.

Or Kylo could have gone to the Dark Side after the New Republic exiled his mother, and his cousin/little sister was kidnapped and believed dead—only to have that cousin/little sister show up alive and try to reach him for reasons that would actually make sense.

I think Johnson changed all this up because he thought their “bond” and Kylo himself would be “complex” and thus sophisticated, but that kind of subversion is “complex” in the way that love triangles are “complex” and deal with so-called “complex” emotions among the characters—i.e. not complex, just dumb.

9. Artorian_Stormtrooper

May 1, 2019
    If there were no Kylo Ren, Snoke as the villain, and Ben and Rey were siblings, I would have liked for Ben, Rey, Finn and Poe to be a quartet from the start much like TMNT. Finn and Poe "on their side" is just another way of saying sidekick and I don't particularly like that. I believe that if the right writers started off with them being a quartet, we could possibly be watching Star Wars X by now.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Since I hated Kylo Ren, having him redeemed is NOT a happy or satisfying ending. He was the cause of the deaths of Luke, Leia, and Han. He was the cause of the loss of Luke’s Jedi school and students. He was part of the reason that the New Republic, which his mother, father, and uncle fought to restore, was destroyed. My preference would have been for this lousy character to have died unredeemed. His redemption didn’t do anything to help improve Leia, Han, or Luke’s lives. I don’t see how his redemption made anything better for them or their non-existent legacies?

wobbits likes this.
  11. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    The choices were never “heroic Ben Solo or Rey fixing Kylo.” That was certainly not JJ’s plan so clearly it wasn’t a binary option.

I also find the idea of demoting Finn to make room for good boi Ben to be rather repugnant. Not to mention the setup of two white leads supported by their devoted BIPOC supporting characters…[face_sick]

12. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    It's the lesser of 2 evil's.

Its like us spiting Anakin because he was the result of Mace Windu's death. and even Obi Wans death really. since he probably would have left the death star alive. but Anakin was redeemed

13. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    For me, both, even at the conceptual level, are unacceptable but equal evils. The second Kylo kills Han, he can’t bring a satisfying end to the story, whether through death or redemption, period.

He’s not likable enough, because the previous generation is just so much superior to him in every way.

If he got a redemption story, than he’s taking over the story from better heroes without being nearly as well developed or interesting. That’s unacceptable.

The problem with him dying evil is this:
    …Because that’s always been the most needlessly spiteful genre of fiction in my opinion, and pretty much anathema to wha5 makes Star Wars appealing.

Star Wars *does* do tragedy, but it’s more MacBeth than Othello or Hamlet; the escapism is about hope rather than despair, so the hopeless endings go to villains, not to heroes or their families. Better that Han and Leia have no kids than that they produce a Deus Angst Machina who ends their family story.

Or at least, that’s how a huge portion of the audience sees it; it’s why so many checked out once Rey was revealed to not be a Skywalker in TLJ, and didn’t come back even when TROS tried to fix things and pass on the hero baton. It’s also why so many Ben Solo fans resolutely deny his inadequacy and are so ready to replace Rey and Finn with him, and why many left or were disappointed after he died as well.

14. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Pretty sure most “Ben Solo” fans are either in love with Adam or can only identify with white male characters.

In contrast with Kylo fans.

15. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    The real problem I had with Ben/Kylo's redemption is that I never regarded him as an interesting character. I don't think either J.J. Abrams or Rian Johnson handled his character arc well. Actually, I can say the same about the other major characters. The reasoning behind his decision to embrace evil has always struck me as confusing. And his redemption arc seemed to come out of no where. It's simply been a mess all around to me.

16. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I really am curious how much of Abrams just refusing to do anything more than the bare minimum even for an excuse in TROS with both his motivations and redemption may have been him not wanting to do either given the context of the film when he wanted to try fixing Rey and Finn against LFL’s wishes, and correctly guesstimating such lackadaisical “efforts” would be all most Ben Solo fans needed.

Abrams clearly created a villainous antagonist, then gave it to Johnson to develop, only for Johnson to turn the entire story into a bad YouTube Essay on his cool Ben Solo would have been… and LFL backed it 100%.

I really wouldn’t be surprised if the reason Abrams only had one single line from Palpatine hint at any motivation for Kylo was because he didn’t want Kylo to have any flashback scenes competing with Rey’s when he didn’t want Kylo to be the male lead in the first place, or to give him that when LFL kept on chopping up Finn’s story.

Would it really be all that shocking if Abrams wanted to make sure Boyega had more screen-time than Driver and that Ridley’s Rey was the only one truly defeating Palpatine in spite of LFL’s preferences? Heck, would it be all that shocking if the reason Ben only says “Ow” is because Abrams was forced to keep the kissing cut in the film, and didn’t want to pretend there was a relationship there at all?

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    “He was redeemed” works great for the end of TROS, but could have and should have been done without Rey, with the catalyst being his sensing his mother’s death, going to take Palpatine/Snoke/whoever, and dying in that process.

LFL should have also not tried to pretend that he had never really been evil in the first place, that he was “conflicted” through the entire trilogy or that it was “complicated,” because every play on that narrative reduces the impact of his redemption. People who are not really evil and whose evil behavior is all other people’s fault do not need to be redeemed.

18. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    You know, the minute they revealed that the villain was a family member of the legacy characters, the stakes were ruined for me. I think it was like this for most of the audience as well. From that point on, nobody is thinking about how this villain is going to be defeated. Everybody is thinking about when the villain is gonna join the good guys. Allowing snoke to be killed in the second chapter furthered this problem. This is also the reason I've always been against the idea of a stormtrooper rebellion. What do we have if all the bad guys just join the good guys? I'd rather the villain had been someone with actual convictions, with an actual goal, and with an actual arc.

wobbits likes this.
  19. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Bingo.

Kylo/Ben was never going to live. He was slated to die from even before Adan’s casting. Anyone who thought TLJ signaled that Ben would survive should blame RJ, who knew what CT was doing and knew while making TLJ that Kylo would die.

Ironic.

Just want to underline that point by noting that Adam himself said that.

(Anyone notice that Ben Solo stans conveniently ignore this?)

RJ basked in the adoration of fans he knew he was mocking and misleading.

Makes perfect sense to me.

The reddit leaker who leaked the whole film with incredible accuracy (in other words - he absolutely had a very high-level source) said that an ending with the whole hero crew together and Finn and Rey holding hands had been filmed. No other alternate ending was mentioned. So that appears to have been the intended ending. Meaning that the kiss was a reshoot and necessitated and FinnRey buildup be cut.

Why was the scene of Finn telling Rey he’s FS cut? In a way that left a hole in the movie so blatant everyone saw it? I doubt “I’m FS” was the most relevant dialogue in that scene.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  20. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    I am gonna have to disagree in some way. i actually think the redemption is perhaps one of the strongest elements of the film. the scene between him and Han. is perhaps one of, if not the strongest scene in the film. there is nothing about that scene that feels lazy directed.

Now there is alot of scenes in TROS that were done lazy or uninterested. but i wouldn't say anything towards that redemption did. beyond perhaps the kiss. but thats it really.

The issue when it comes down to it, is that JJ clearly didn't feel there needed to be any build up. and my guess for it has always been the obvious. a dark sider doesn't need to have been a bad person. a good person can be corrupted. this is not new to Star Wars lore. and when they are corrupted, they won't wanna leave the dark side. no matter what. which is why the dark side is seen as such a threat to jedi. and i think it took abit of a shock to the system before Vader or even Kylo were forced to reflect. which is not that far different from addiction in general.

If the reason mentioned in the leaks were right. which I'm reading right now. then no. the reason why there was very little exposition is because

1. There was actually ALOT more exposition about the whole dyad thing early on. the oracle and Palpatine both go into much more detail about it.
    2. Palpatine also goes into more detail about his plan. was cut out because too much exposition.
    3. They were worried there was too much exposition. so they kept it all short and sweet.

Heck they even cut the scene with Kylo questioning how Palpatine is alive. they wanted to leave it even more ambiguous than it was. And it wasn't even that explained anyway. They just had Palpatine dismiss himself of being a clone.

Infact from what i read, They were worried the film was exposition-heavy and needed to be trimmed down for pacing. including cutting a line with Lando suggesting his belief that all the children who were stolen and made into troopers were the children of members of the rebellion who helped take down the Empire. meaning that Palpatines revenge was turning their own children against them. although the mixed implications from that are abit dark.

Although from what i have read. you hear alot of people want to think that the reshoots were forced in by the studio for their own reasons. but alot of the reshoots were not actually that big of a deal.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The scene between Kylo and Han is the best in the ST along with Luke’s Crait speech, I agree there. But I disagree with the idea that there does not need to be an explanation for why Kylo turned, especially not if we are supposed to view him as Not Really Evil prior to the end of TROS, or if we are supposed to care about his being “conflicted.” Vader was shown as evil until the end of ROTJ, and his evil behavior was his own, so it didn’t really matter until then why he turned.

And “he was corrupted” just gets a ‘so the hell what?’ reaction. Give me something I can understand and find relatable (no, not “imagine your parents are Han and Leia and they have careers and sent you to train with your uncle Luke” which just gets another ‘so the hell what?’ reaction) if I am supposed to care about Kylo’s emotions.

22. Artorian_Stormtrooper

May 1, 2019
    I thought the scene between Han and Kylo was ridiculous, because it's really just Kylo forgiving himself for killing him. He's not really talking to Han. It's all in his head. I didn't buy it at all.

wobbits, dogprivilege, 2Cleva and 2 others like this.
  23. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    We got 3 whole movies explaining why Anakin turned but it doesn’t matter why his grandson turned?

Huh…?

24. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Yeah we got those 3 movies over 10 years later. Originally they didn't exist. The ST is styled on the OT. with ever-so-slight PT elements creeping in as the movies went along for good measure.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    If it were styled on the OT, we should not have gotten that ridiculous “conflicted”/“called to the light”/it’s all other people’s fault narrative that we certainly did not get with Vader throughout the entire OT—we were expected to view him as evil until the end of ROTJ. Kylo also would have been redeemed by a family member, not a dumb girl who fell for his puppy eyes.