main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Kylo Ren/Adam Driver Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    There is styled on the OT. and there is being exactly the same as the OT.

The ST was basically the all 3 of the OT film. just cut up and remixed to look fresh and new. along with some PT elements. just not too many to be on the safe side.

Like doing the death star again, but its not called death star its called "Starkiller". oh and it shoots 3 lasers instead of 1.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    When the writers claim they “styling like the OT” but then take out what made any OT elements work, and replace those with elements that were more regressive than the 1970s and 80s OT, they cannot claim they were just styling like the OT.

Having Kylo redeemed by a relative would not be copying the OT unless he had a son who redeemed him. Having Rey as the redemptor does not work unless (general) you like or are OK with dumb codependent girls who ignore toxic treatment in favor of hair conditioner and sad puppy faces.

Not sure what is supposed to be considered “safe”. If “safe” means “not demanding that people change their standards of morality,” I’m not seeing why “safe” is anything other than good.

3. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I’ve been thinking a good way to look at it is this:

- You could watch ROTJ with a rather “amoral,” main-characters-revolving morality for Vader and Luke if you wanted to, but that was because the OT, in actual substance, was all about making a story that would earn your investment in the characters and convince you of the moral righteousness of the story’s plot first; the applicability of the “amoral” favoritism some used was actually a side-effect fo the story. With Vader, that began with combining a sympathetic and heroic backstory for Luke’s character with Vader, but then also developed the relationship to reach that point in the climax.

- From TLJ on, LFL was totally dependent on the “amoral,” main-characters-revolving “morality” for Kylo, as the actual substance of the story had nothing to get there. What this meant in practice was people who simply and wholly wanted Ben Solo to be the hero and get redeemed, damn the rest, and who never bothered to pay attention to the story. It was people who wanted to apply the side-effect from ROTJ to the ST, but never cared for what caused it in the earlier example.

That’s the big reason why Ben Solo’s redemption is just empty fanservice. There’s no story behind why it happens; in fact, it’s literally just reversing the scene from TFA because Ben Solo’s fan don’t care about the story. It’s also why so many of them feel righteous and justified by it; they always assumed nothing he did, nothing that was on screen, no lesson or theme being taught, would ever determine anything that a simple “he’s a Solo” could ignore.

It’s why it’s piece of crud storyline that is, frankly, insulting to the OT, PT, and the rest of the franchise.

4. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I just saw "Ben Solo" in another forum and for a split second completely blanked on who that character was. :p

On the plus side, it's not Driver's fault. I think he could've nailed the character had the writing led to more of a contemplative take on Kylo's obsession with the Sith in relation to his family.

5. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I still think that he absolutely nailed the disturbed, creepy, but pitiable edge they wanted for TFA… and then never got asked for, required of, or given a script that would require more, and kept on plugging along doing that same performance while LFL convinced themselves it was something else.

6. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    I don't think that's said.

7. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Well this is note from the leaks. this is the exact quote
    But we also know that Ian McDiarmid has said something along the lines of "not a clone, not yet a man"

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  8. Lord Exor

Lord Exor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2019
    He says, "More than a clone..." which was likely misread by the source as dismissal.

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I’m listening to the X-Ray Vision podcast right now and this came up: Thanos had a point, and Killmonger also had a point, which made them great villains—it was easy to root for their starting goals without rooting for their means. Thanos’ point was climate change and overpopulation; Killmonger’s point was fighting against colonization and racism.

Even Anakin had a point, although his was not nearly as good—dogmatism and inflexibility of the Jedi.

What was Kylo’s point? What was there to root for? (I won’t root for privileged kid problems or opposition to parents with careers.)

10. dagenspear

Sep 9, 2015
    But that wasn't what Anakin was really against.

And I don't regard overpopulation as a legit concern, like that. Humans are born. It's life. Concerned about it's effects maybe, but it itself... nah.

11. Lord Exor

Lord Exor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2019
    He didn't seem to have any beliefs; not even narcissism. Let the past die? Boomers are bad? His entire struggle seems to center around self-actualization. He doesn't have a distinct identity, so he grapples with establishing one.

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Establishing an identity isn’t really a cause that would lead to an “end justifies the means” mentality, the way Thanos wanting to stop climate change and Killmonger wanting to rectify issues caused by racism and colonization did.

With those two I could root for their causes without at all endorsing their methods. With Kylo there is nothing to root for and quite a bit to root against.

13. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I was actually just thinking about this in comparison and contrast with the other dark siders from the movies and TV Shows, and I think he definitely leans more towards Palpatine and Dooku as desiring generic power, with a side of either narcissism or sociopathy mixed with insecurity compared to their megalomania or pure elitism.

Maul (raised and brainwashed by an abusive Palpatine to an absurd extent) and Vader (fallen hero corrupted by a sympathetic human desire perverted into possessiveness) arguably occupy the two areas of characterization that is more expected of him, but never got really developed, especially since both were shown to have more capacity for empathy they couldn’t totally ignore with family, and to have a greater degree of self-awareness and much larger goal-oriented pragmatism.

Maul has the soft spot for his brother that *does* motivate him beyond his desire for vengeance or power (see how quickly he left Obi-Wan alone after Savage lost his arm), and part of the intrigue of his portrayal post-TPM is how painfully aware he is of having lost his place in his master’s machinations, and his logical, though still immoral and vile, reactions to that. Vader is well known to have been motivated primarily by his family, both for good and bad reasons, but even when deprived of that, he remained more on-task and pragmatic than even Tarkin when it came to maintain the Empire’s “Order.”

Kylo doesn’t just contrast in his ability to cold-bloodedly murder Han, but also for his motivation for doing so, and in how myopic and self-centered he is while doing it. Neither Vader nor Maul ever showed any true desire to kill their loved ones for the sake of not having loved ones “holding them back” as Kylo does, and neither has a moment comparable to his entirely self-involved reaction to Han’s appearance.

Seriously, if you watch that scene in TFA again, watch how little Kylo does that would practically assist the First Order at that time. He’s so wrapped up in his personal test that neither he nor his men notice Chewie, Rey and Finn… or any of the explosives they’ve planted.

He definetly comes off more like a serial killer with a totally irrational MO and objective than the others.

14. dagenspear

Sep 9, 2015
    Though I think Dooku has more to him than Palpatine, I do think he has a more elitist and cold blooded survival of the fittest mindset where he's willing sacrifice anyone for his benefit. However I do think an interesting angle could've been displayed that his elitism is more in regards to being a force user and wanting essentially the jedi to run the galaxy.

15. Darthvader1975

Darthvader1975 Jedi Knight star 3

May 2, 2020
    I did wonder what direction Kylo was going to go in after TLJ when Rian pretty much killed off all the main bad guys and girls and he became supreme commander. Then another of his enemies becomes one with the force allowing the resistance to escape on Crait. It meant that Ren couldnt gain revenge on his master and I suppose by TROS was largely isolated.

Then Palpatine returns and he decides to confront and deal with another big problem meeting the man responsible for indirectly creating his grandfather and of course creating Snoke the being behind Kylos own emergence as a powerful force wielder and as he discovers was manipulating him from the start being every voice in his head.
    JJ had said that kylo was not sith just a darkside user likewise the knights of Ren were not sith either and yet the ultimate sith was behind everything.

Really? Ren was boxed into a corner as the trilogy goes on and is redeemed long before the final confrontation on exegol when after a conversation with a memory of his dad he throws away the lightsaber. I always thought it was supposed to be Leia but because Carrie had passed Ford stepped in.

His character arc was a bit up and down and ended with giving his life to save the trilogies main hero and becoming a force presence within Rey. He was never surviving, he was never walking off into the twin sunset with Rey because that wouldve been beyond cringey and no one wanted that.

16. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015

Overpopulation as a problem is a myth born from a capitalist mindset. (I know this is a totally different topic.) There's more than enough food to feed every man, woman, and child several times over.

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I agree, but that does need to go in one of the Senate Floor threads.

18. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015

This is true. The solarpunk in me just couldn't resist. I can't edit it anymore. Is there another way to move it?

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    You don’t need to edit or move it. Just go to the YJCC and Senate Floor threads to continue the discussion. :)

Blastaar likes this.
  20. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Game recognize game etc.

21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

I'd love to see more Kylo content, think Driver's great in anything. Maybe also flashback/flashforward, Force Ghost chats with Rey, flashbacks to Kylo wrecking stuff. Would love to see the Supreme Leader Kylo Ren period, just a year of him as the First Order Reins before Palpatine sends out his message of REVENGE and ruins Kylo's damn day. I'm sure Post Rise of Kylo Ren- Pre Force Awakens Kylo was an unholy terror too.

Now that ST is done, I really would like any more Kylo Ren content like the Vader Marvel series.

Or just pull the trigger on the Undercover Ren TV series. I'd be totally okay with that too!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    chrisfree likes this.
  22. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I don't think there would be wide appeal for any of that.

23. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I think most likley we see him as a force ghost post ST trilogy. Any backstory content will likley be on disney plus.

24. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
  25. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    There are no movie projects for at least the next couple of years. And I don't think they're gonna want their next big movie, which should likely have some sort of feeling of a fresh step/new beginnings after the ST, be about Ben Solo.

I honestly don't think we'll ever see AD/Ben Solo on screen again. At least not for a long long time. And by that point AD will be pushing 40s and won't be able to pull of a Young Ben, and would look like Ghost Ben is oddly aging as if he were still alive.

Jedi_Fenrir767 likes this.