main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Kylo Ren/Adam Driver Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

Tags:
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Luke obviously had evidence that Kylo had made dark decisions already or he would not have reacted that way. The idea that Luke’s reaction that night tipped Kylo over the edge seems like blaming Luke for Kylo’s actions.

2. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Luke did not exactly have evidence. He obviously sensed the dark side in Ben and presumably sensed the future in some way or another. I think the issue is more down to what sparks those events off and whether they could have been changed. Ben woke up and was clearly afraid of Luke. And fear leads to anger and anger leads to hate. As yoda says.

The point is more so that Luke acted on a future vision and have partly drove that vision forward. As his father before him.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
  3. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    But Luke already went through that in ESB. Luke should have had the insight in the ST like OT Yoda before him. It’s so deflating that RJ made him exactly the opposite of the “wisened” Luke we were all expecting.

I actually agree with you on Kylo but it was still a poor decision to give Luke the action that served as a tipping point.

Jedi_Fenrir767 and PendragonM like this.
  4. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    What we've got is a situation where the Where, When, and How are all answered, but the Why is uttlery nonexistent and therefore useless, because Rian Johnson and then LFL decided on largely ignoring the What and Who's context and significance, as they're largely irrelevant to TLJ, or outright rejected in favor of hypocritical bias.

TLJ says that Luke sneaking into the hut and spying on Kylo's mind before waking him by ignoring the lightsaber shows how Kylo fell to the darkside...

But there's no interest or value in why Luke felt the need to go into the hut and investigate, no interest or value in why Luke would be triggered by what was in Kylo's head, no interest or value in why Kylo is interested in the dark side, and no interest or value in why Luke waking up Kylo results in Kylo murdering the other students in TLJ's script... much like how there's no value or interest in why Rey is going to ignore all of this and what happened to her.

And the reason for that is because the story demands a self-contradicting, oxymoronic answer to what exactly is happening, and has just a baldly self-serving and empty answer for who these characters are: while the story is factually stating we're witnessing a mass murder event by a future war criminal, it argues that doesn't matter to the calculus we're supposed to have for the scene, which is Ben Solo as a victim of persecution and judgement that should be treated as only a "bad boy" rather than a monster, and that Luke's previous characterization and arc aren't actually understood or developed enough to demand a more complex answer than what it wants.

Again, this shows a lack of interest in the actual SUBSTANCE of Ben's fall, and in what it actually means for the characters - the assumption is that he is valued enough by the audience that he can experience a blatant bias in his favor even if his actual portrayal negates it in substance.

We still don't really have a story for Ben Solo's fall, or a character actually identifiable as a Ben Solo capable of making TLJ's backstory tragic or engaging - all we've got is a plot outline demanding we value Kylo more than his family or the new characters, for no actual payoff.

5. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    Ironically it may also be suggesting that we should value Kylo so much because of his family and their emotions about him, even though his own mom's emotions about it are only barely touched on in the movie itself and she's in a coma for most of it.

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    We are supposed to value Kylo so much that we are supposed to view him as an “improvement” on his family members and be perfectly OK with the notion that his fall was all their fault.

7. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    There's definitely an assumption that being Han and Leia's baby boy means he has our investment roughly the same way we would invest in him if he were both heroic and the main character.

And to be fair, I think that might have been the case if he were written as a more "lower case v" villain in a different, less destructive faction and if he had a more sedate, less horrifying rap sheet; if he were "merely" a Dark Jedi backing the wrong political party, but they weren't bluntly and outwardly genocidal and slavery-happy, and his actions in support of them resulted only in some combat deaths, I think the audience would naturally regard him as someone to be invested in strictly because of his background.

But he walked on committing war crimes like Vader did at Vader's worst, then TLJ itself continues that trend... and he's the one who murdered Han explicitly so he could be more dedicated to the dark side and gain more power.

The first set of atrocities puts him in a "got to earn it" area for fans who may love the family but still individually evaluate the characters, and the second part makes him a bane of his own family and a threat to them, putting others who are more fans of the family over the characters against him.

Yet still, TLJ is written with the expectation that he can and should carry the investment and interest that the audience had in the larger family story, both in universe and out, without any real attempt to make him that type of interesting as a single character or make him a more complementary member of the family. Instead, he's an incompatibly "hater" of his own family and a dull, shallow villain in his own right... who nonetheless gets the royal treatment.

I think there's a collection of vagaries where your point is both true and not true to different Kylo fans, because TLJ especially creates a shifting, inconstant miasma of standards and expectations for the character, which LFL match with their other material for him. At times, we're supposed to evaluate he and the story in a "this is just dumb fun" kind of way, and then elsewhere we're supposed to evaluate him as "this is a dramatic elevation of Star Wars artistic merit" with him. This also creates a scenario where creators or audience members are supposed to match contradicting ideas together - like "Kylo is the classic, purely archetypal 'bad boy' character, no need to investigate him further" with "Kylo's emotional development is so deep and complex, we have to prioritize it over other characters and conflicts" - that it can make those who like the story go all in one meta-narrative and ignore the other.

The expectation for some is that he has a "more adult" type of archetype he's based off than Han, Leia or Luke - ironically because he's so immature and self-centered, like a child - and that it makes him an "improvement" because the emotional priorities and dramatic emphasis is more "relatable" to those who's suspension of disbelief fails when applied to the more heroic and likable archetypes of the OT.

At the same time, there's a refusal to require Kylo to showcase the same level of clear psychological depth of those previous OT archetypes, or even with the archetypes he and the other new characters - and a tendency to defend the character and film with "it's just Star Wars, stop trying to look for anything beyond the surface level here."

8. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    Perhaps my favorite Kylo fans are the ones who say that Han committed suicide to save Kylo from killing him, because something something he knew that Snoke would kill Kylo if he didn't or whatever. Also the ones who claim that Leia blowing up Starkiller Base was as bad as the First Order blowing up 5 (or the Empire blowing up Alderaan).

And the ones who were happy to see Kylo murder Luke, Han and Leia because they were only there for Sad Boi, but hey, at least that's honest. Unlike the ones who went on about how everyone does war crimes and the Resistance is just as bad and so on...

9. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    There are fans who say blowing up SKB was as bad as blowing up Alderaan and the entire Hosnian Prime system? We should be very worried about those people.

10. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Not sure I'll ever get over Driver mastering the Ford Finger Point™

[​IMG]

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I liked Kylo from that moment (or just before, when he felt Leia die) through the Han memory scene and wish we would have gotten that Kylo through the entire trilogy.

12. dagenspear

Sep 9, 2015
    Come on, Kylo didn't murder Luke and Leia. Han though...
    In theory, I can see some part of that. TFA movie did set up that those stormtroopers are former kidnapped and now conditioned children and they just blew up so many of them. But there's a big difference: SKB blew up several planets first and I think was going to do more soon, so even if, as a Christian, I'm personally against a method of doing things that have that type of collateral damage, they murdered like about billions of people and I think were going to do it again, so I can see what the rebels/resistance do far more than what the Empire/first order did, especially considering the Empire/first order was murdering basically billions first basically in a cold blooded first strike out of nowhere.

Bad that there were casualties of those who were forced to be there, I think absolutely yes. But unreasonable and directly comparable to what the empire and starkiller base did? No, I don't agree.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2022
  13. TheGhostOfZero

TheGhostOfZero Jedi Master star 2

Sep 5, 2016
    I've been seeing a lot of takes like that recently, particularly about how the Empire is portrayed in Andor. Like they can't believe the Empire are actually the bad guys.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2022
  14. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    There are more authoritarians (and idiots) out there than I hoped there would be in 2022. If you watch Andor and your takeaway is that the Empire isn’t bad, then you’re a fascist, plain and simple. The Empire is being depicted as worse than ever in that show, which gives us the best exploration of the fascist mindset that I’ve ever seen in genre fiction. These viewers must see themselves in the complex fascists shown on screen.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2022
  15. dagenspear

Sep 9, 2015
    I didn't get the impression that post was saying that they think the empire isn't bad in Andor. I thought it was saying that the people are surprised that they're bad.

Personally, it's not my favorite approach. I prefer evil Palpatine evil-ing up and that's it, blowing up planets.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I remember when Rogue One came out and some people were big mad about the Empire being called out as bad and the real world implications of that. [face_laugh]

Back on topic—I hope there is no more material giving a “but it’s not his fault he can’t help being bad feel sorry for him he just needs a romance” portrayal of a villain while that villain is still torturing and murdering.

17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    How can you watch Andor and be surprised that the Imperials are the bad guys? They are clearly and unequivocally doing horrendous things.

The fact that it’s very real, recognizable, complex human beings doing and justifying that evil makes it even more impactful - and instructive. Far too many people in the real world think that evil comes in obvious forms. And most entertainment reinforces that. Andor shows the banality of evil, committed by recognizable humans acting in human ways, and this is a realm important thing to depict nowadays. Hopefully it might even help people detect authoritarian-minded political leaders before those leaders acquire power.

My guess is that many of these audience members who don’t see these Imperials as the bad guys likely make very similar justifications for evil in the real world.

I don’t know. But I do know that for too long, I often dismissed views like this about fiction because it’s fiction, and surely these fans wouldn’t have such attitudes towards similar real life figures. And every one of those people (in my life) turned out to behave exactly the same way towards non-fictional character. This affirming my initial suspicion that they were indeed crypto-authoritarians. Wittingly or otherwise.
    Sorry, but anyone who feels that way is an authoritarian, plain and simple.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2022
  18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    No “sorry” needed; I agree.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  19. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Isnt there reddit page to Empire did nothing wrong, lol.

20. dagenspear

Sep 9, 2015
    I didn't say it made complete sense. I just gave my impression of the post.
    I don't know, for sure. But I wouldn't assume the exact same circumstances would be entirely justified in real life, in that way.

21. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    After watching TFA, my impression on Kylo's fate by the end of the ST :

100% for redemption and 90% for survival
    After TLJ,
    100% for redemption 50% for survival

I always thought Han's death by his own ends would be a main catalyst to Kylo's redemption further down the line or they wouldn't have done it or at least it wouldn't have the same impact if he was killed by a less personal character. The fact Kylo was clearly shown to be weakened by this act rather than galvanized by it as he hoped, and Snoke chewing him out for that was a pretty good testament for that. Plus, the improvised hand on his face as a powerful image of forgiveness made me think it would play a role later.

A redemption at the end of TLJ either through his love of Rey and/or his mother would mean IX would be the first feature film to explore a villain going through the atonement stage, which would make his arc different from his grandfather, but also more difficult because the writers and directors would need to find another villain to defeat unless they keep the FO as the main antagonist but then to find who to replace Kylo with? Another problem would be if the movies focused more on his atonement, what would his relationship to Rey and the overall Resistance be after the time jump between VIII and IX? Would it take away screen time from Rey, Finn etc.? What about Leia's story if IX was to be her movie after TFA and TLJ was Han's and Luke's respectively?

Though I believe if Kylo/Ben did redeem himself in VIII, his chance of survival would have been much higher than if he didn't, imo.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2022
  22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Kylo being a villain but not killing Han in TFA, while having Snoke slap him around a bit, and then moving the bridge scene to early in TLJ only changing it so Kylo does go home with Han, and has to atone and earn the trust of the Resistance, would have been better.

PendragonM likes this.
  23. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Do you think Harrison Ford would have accepted to return if they didn't kill off Han?

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    If not, then Han could have died in battle. There were many other ways to kill off Han other than having Kylo kill him.

wobbits and PendragonM like this.
  25. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    That could have been interesting...

There's a battle on SKB. Kylo finds Rey and Finn in the forest near the Falcon. Han and Chewy are planting bombs. One of the bombs malfunctions and Han sacrifices his life to make sure the chain reaction goes off so that the center blows up. Which allows Poe's squadron to blow up the entire planet.

We flash back to Kylo, Rey and Finn. We see a similar duel. Finn is taken out. And Rey force grabs the saber to fight off Kylo. They start battling. Immediately, Kylo feels the disturbance. Rey does too but she's not really sure what it means. Kylo lowers his saber. He lets his guard down. Takes off his mask. Kylo looks ... relieved. He looks almost at peace. "He's gone. He's finally dead. ... I'm free". He says to himself. He breathes heavily. He barely acknowledges Rey being there. But Kylo looks emotional. His eyes water. Suddenly he's filled with rage again. He's angry that he still feels for his father. He pumps himself up. He 'returns' to look at Rey and ignites his saber. The duel is back on. Kylo is swinging and attacking and trying to be more powerful than before. But he's still chaotic. He's not focused as he wishes. In fact he's sloppy. Weak. His thoughts dwell on his father, and Rey manages to slash at his shoulder injuring him. He offers to teach her, but she refuses. Then slashes at his face and leaves him scarred and on the ground. The ground begins to separate. And Chewy helps Rey and Finn on to the Falcon to escape SKB blowing up.

Later, Rey climbs the Jedi steps and finds Luke Skywalker. He's in tears. Has he felt Han's death as well?
    This way, Kylo still feels all the emotions from the death, without being the one to kill off Han and - in some fans eyes - being beyond redemption from that point on. It allows him to feel it through the force, and we him feeling relieved...but realizes he's still far too attached to his father. And it also leaves Han sacrificing his life for the Resistance's entire mission instead of trying to talk to his son, when he's way out of his league. I'd probably remove the line from Leia asking Han to even try, because that just shows Leia is unwilling to do it herself and keeps sending others to talk to her own naughty son. I'd probably write her as feeling Ben is beyond hope.