main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Kylo Ren and General Hux dynamic in IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Birkendoc, Dec 13, 2017.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Kylo could have a chance to demonstrate inheriting some fun sarcasm from both parents in a fight with Hux. He could slash Hux with that saber while tossing out a few good one-liners.

...And I would thoroughly enjoy seeing Kylo win that one.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  2. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    I'm pretty sure Kylo will kill Hux by the end of the movie. I was pretty surprised he didn't kill him off in TLJ.

Ruffmeian likes this.
  3. NileQT87

NileQT87 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 21, 2002
    Kylo is definitely going to kill Hux. Hux just echoed the very thing that Luke did to Kylo: trying to kill him in his sleep.

I also suspect that it might be if Hux fires on and kills Leia, whom we know has to die next film. Kylo refused to fire on his mother in TLJ, but the First Order still fired on her ship anyway. If they do it again and succeed, I can see Kylo taking it out on Hux.

Another way I see Kylo killing Hux is if it's discovered who really killed Snoke. Kylo might get mutinied in that case, which would suddenly change up what side he's on.

I wouldn't be shocked in the slightest if Kylo pretty much goes one man army on the First Order and is their ultimate destroyer. There's a lot of foreshadowing that the relationship is heading south quick.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Yora likes this.
  4. lovethedarkside

lovethedarkside Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 10, 2017
    I loved how Kylo threatened Hux when he said "the Supreme Leader is dead." Hux quickly realized that Snoke was no longer around to protect him and that Ren's force powers were to be feared. I also loved their humor in the shuttle...."Do you think you got him?", Kylo's sideways force-push, and Hux repeating Ren's orders.

5. Lady Rey

Lady Rey Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 3, 2018
    Hux is one of my favorite ST characters, but he is a very cruel man. He makes Kylo look like a kitten. He will likely die in IX, and by Kylo's hand most likely, but I think a good way to set that up would be for Kylo to find out Hux killed Leia. That would begin his rise to the Light and the end of a thorn in the FO. I personally think the rebuilt Republic and FO will end up united at the end of IX, sort of how Kylo wanted, but without unnecessary deaths. Before that can happen, the evil within must be purged and that's Hux.

Yora, Birkendoc and RiddleMeThis like this.
  6. Ruffmeian

Ruffmeian Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2015
    I am SO looking forward to this scene, too. I really hope it comes to fruition.

TheMoldyCrow likes this.
  7. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    I think you may be spot on about this.

But i think that Hux will stage a coup and Kylo will have zero protections at some point. So taking Hux down will be done with Kylo no longer a member of the FO.

Lomesa, RiddleMeThis and Lady Rey like this.
  8. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I could see Hux underestimating Kylo. At the end of TLJ Hux is watching Kylo with this expression indicating he may have this in the bag and I think it's because he is more rational than Kylo. He believes he is the superior thinker/strategist of the two. But I don't think it's wise to underestimate Kylo. I mean I do, as a viewer, but it isn't wise if Hux does. Kylo looks like more of an idiot than he is. He's aware of when he is in danger and he does think about how to get out of danger. He is impulsive and reckless and emotionally unstable, and it is indeed a weakness, but Snoke underestimated him too it seems. That didn't work out so well for him.

Jabba'sFirstCousin72 and Satipo like this.
  9. JediMasterSven

JediMasterSven Jedi Master star 3

Apr 21, 2014

Kylo: You've failed me yet again, Hux.

10. Jedi of Baker Street

Jedi of Baker Street Jedi Master star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    I like Hux so much. I think he is a great character and the sibling rivalry dynamic with Kylo and Hux has been different and funny. I really really hope Hux doesn't die, but, being a movie and all I assume this is a foregone conclusion since he's the bad guy. Too bad. I just hope he gets treated with more respect in 9, like the highly competent (okay, and crazy) guy he was in 7, instead of the buffoon we got got in 8.

11. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    Yeah there was something weird about how the villains were used for comedy in this movie.

The humor in the movie seems to come off the wrong way.

godisawesome likes this.
  12. Jabba'sFirstCousin72

Jabba'sFirstCousin72 Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 21, 2017
    I'am along with the above as well.

Also, I must admit I'am looking forward to this dynamics in IX. As for the predictions for the next installment I think Hux/Kylo dynamics has many elements that can be seen as future forshadowing.
    From the moment Hux pulled out the gun in the Throne room to the last shot of Hux at the base on Crait. I saw his look as being literal of: "MWAHAHAHAHA you kneeling and crying fool - I'am plotting already behind your back!" .
    I agree Hux is aware of Kylo/Ben's weakness, and he's probably thinking how to make advantage of it, because he's aware that he can't match Kylo one on one (because of the FS).

oncafar likes this.
  13. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    Yeah I think Kylo's completely insane behavior towards Luke and emo self-involved moment in the abandoned Crait base has given Hux a sort of revelation. Kylo is even more emotionally unstable than Hux thought he was before. In fact Kylo is so ruled by emotion and impulse that Hux sees that he not only has the advantage here but an even greater advantage than he previously thought. Hux can keep his wits about him and Kylo obviously can't.

Jabba'sFirstCousin72 likes this.
  14. mlsw

mlsw Jedi Knight star 3

May 30, 2017
    I think the starting point is that - to make a comparison - Kylo Ren is now not in the position
    that Vader was, but in that of the Emperor.
    And that - I think - changes it all.

You cannot let him "win" - of course - but in the context of that Galaxy, once the Republic is restored
    his fate cannot be an easy one. I used to love the idea of Ben Solo going into exile and living a
    life of atonement. But now, even this scenario became not impossible but more unlikely, IMO.

Still you have to give him a strong arc in IX and hopefully one we haven't seen in SW until now.

That is why I think the dynamic Kylo/Hux may become the key point.

Kylo is not Snoke.
    Snoke was surely a tyrant, but whitin the First Order he was feared yet... respected.
    He had "authority" over his men.
    Kylo doesn't.

He's too much emotional, fragile, unstable.

Hux knows it and despise him. So does a good portion of the First Order.

The scene after the descovering of Snoke's death between the two, surely showed us Hux kneeling in front of the new
    Supreme Leader, but in the following scenes you clearly understand that there's not respect at all.

I think Kylo is going to rule not only his new Empire but the First Order too, through fear and terror.
    And at the same time that his weaknesses will expose him to the criticism of the First Order itself...

In short, I see a plot for the FO that may look like half "Operation Valkyrie", half the last days of Hitler.
    A plot against Kylo, lead by Hux that tries to overthrow of a more and more
    unstable and paranoid Supreme Leader Kylo Ren, targeted as the cause
    of the FO failures vs the Rebellion.

And this may be what break him, in the end.

He (Kylo) may chose to destroy it all - and let the Rebellion win - instead of "leaving a chance" to those
    who betrayed him.
    He may be redeemed or not (I'm sure he will be, at least in the very end) but this may be the key point.

The Rebels may even offer him a deal: surrend, help them destroy what's left of the FO's Empire
    and in return his life will be spared. I can see not only Rey doing that, but Poe too (especially after Leia's death).
    But I can also see him "pretenting" to agree.
    Not because he won't let them win, but because he will chose to go dawn too.
    He is too proud to survive the shame and probably - especially if he will turn back to the light - too
    hunted by the mistakes he made.

Sure this is headcanon.
    But sure this is something new in SW and I think there is enough set up
    for something like this, that, in all honesty, I'd love.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  15. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    I'm honestly rather amazed at Hux's ability to endure all of this. I know his life has been one of abuses. His father abused him. Snoke abused him. Kylo abuses him. Hux endures this all and it doesn't bring him down, nor does he become timid and fearful.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  16. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    I think Hux will uncover the truth of what really happened in the throne room and weaponize it against Ren.

Who needs to stage a coup when you have Millicent.

oncafar likes this.
  17. Cantina Regular

Cantina Regular Jedi Knight star 3

May 24, 2016
    I'm hoping Hux tries to overthrow Kylo with a military coup that leads to a civil war. Then kylo can crush Hux's beloved star destroyer with him still aboard

18. Cave of Erised

Cave of Erised Jedi Knight star 2

May 3, 2018
    The novels may be an iffy source for some (many?), but I’m not so certain about the FO backing Hux due to the inner monologues of some of their other prominent members (Peevy and Canady). In their eyes, he is young and inexperienced little upstart whose use will have run out once the FO has won. If I were one of the generals slighted by Hux, I might suck up to Ren for a better position (they can see the two don’t get on very well). Unfortunately, we don’t hear much of their thoughts on Kylo.

They may want to go with FO destroying themselves through this type of infighting (which would pair nicely with my Finn stormtrooper revolt wishful thinking). Contradicting to my statement above, I could see them backing Hux only to turn in him in reverse.

19. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    I reread part of the novelization last night and Hux is definitely scheming against Kylo. He's waiting for an opportunity to "sideline and eliminate" him. Also, the reason Kylo brings him along on the command shuttle on Crait is to ensure no "accident" befalls the ship. He knows about Hux's history of destroying rivals and is already taking precautions.

Birkendoc, oncafar and Cave of Erised like this.
  20. Cave of Erised

Cave of Erised Jedi Knight star 2

May 3, 2018
    I don’t doubt Hux is scheming, I just don’t see a coup as a slam dunk (especially considering Kyle is aware of this fact). I think it is worthy to note that Kylo is cold and calculating (less angry/ destructive) when he is not emotionally tied to the situation. I think he might be more competent than he initially appears.

JoJoPenelli likes this.
  21. SKYGUY23

SKYGUY23 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2014
    How does everbody think
    Hux will die?

Blaster...Finn or Rose
    Lightsaber...Kylo or Rey Or KOR
    Force choke...Kylo
    Explosion...Poe or Falcon
    Monster...NEW creature
    Chewie arm rip...Chewbacca

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  22. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    You can't really expect Hux to become the final big bad in the Skywalker saga.

23. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    I don't know, Hux as big bad is like the FO ending with a whimper... but they have really bad leadership and they are just not that scary... the FO in general isn't as "big and bad" as it wants to be, so if Hux emerges as its great leader it's kind of fitting with what the FO is.

The ST so far isn't a trilogy in which one feels the overriding "power of the dark side" in the villains. Poe's character I think shows this a lot. "The Resistance will not be intimidated by you." "Don't let these (did he say clowns?) scare you." "I'm calling for General Hugs."

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  24. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    Is anyone that scary in the Sequel Trilogy? Kylo hasn't won one fight. Not one. Even Dooku won one!

11-4D likes this.
  25. Bor Gullet

Bor Gullet Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 8, 2018
    I see Hux being captured and selling out Kylo to the Resistance to save his own skin. He will perish doing something totally unheroic and craven.