main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Kylo Ren and Rey in VIII and IX (See new guidelines on page 228)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by What Girl, May 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I can't believe it was even an issue. The movie itself is pretty explicit about it.

2. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    Exactly. He is scummy at the end of the film. DR is referring to the character at a specific point in time.

So yes, she shut the door. He and his troops just attacked Crait.

And it's important to remember that these are actors. They--especially SW actors--are not going to reveal anything about a future film. Daisy (and Adam especially) are not going to overthink the Kylo/Rey dynamic until they get the script for IX. So if you ask them about what their characters think about the other, you're only getting a very finite answer and no glimpse into the future.

So it is no surprise they will start off adversaries at the beginning of IX. But don't expect that to remain static through the film.

3. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Ben-Solo, Jacques who and Claire1976 like this.
  4. littlepadawan91

littlepadawan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
  5. Birkendoc

Sep 20, 2001
    I'm just going to point out the absurdity of an argument based on a translated interview where one statement that tips toward one's side is taken out of greater article--translated by an someone with unverified abilities who may or may not be fluent in Chinese and who may or may not have an agenda of their own.

This is not something I would base any argument on.

6. milena

milena Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2018
    That interview seems fishy to me. Adam wasn't even in China, as far as I know it was Daisy, Mark and Rian.

7. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Huh?

8. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    AD was not in China?

9. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Right....no...

10. milena

Jan 5, 2018
    I don't think so. I've only seen pics of Mark, Daisy and Rian from the press tour.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  11. Knessa84

Knessa84 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 21, 2014
    Omg. I watched this and had second hand embarrassment. It's a young teen with braces who nervously asks Rian: I have to ask you about Reylo! What's he going to say? Those fan-celebrity interactions are always so awkward. He knows Reylos love his movie so what he says isn't that surprising. He's nice. That's about it. He could have said, well, Rey shut the door on that (which she did) but he's just playing to his fans. Especially when he's gotten such vitriol lately.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

12. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Yeah, they can't win. If they shut the speculation down, people get angry, if they don't deliver on specific expectations people get angry. I don't think RJ is saying that the film shows they're going to get together. He's just saying everything on that is in the film, which IMO shuts the door on that likelihood - though I've no doubt there is more to come that's interesting in their dynamic.

13. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    I agree the symbolism at the end of the film of Rey closing the door to the Millenium Falcon on her conversation with Kylo Ren (I believe) closes the literal door on any developing romantic relationship;

14. Diminished Comet

Diminished Comet Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 27, 2017
    I read somewhere that the line wasn't even in the interview and that it had been manually added into the translated text by someone on Weibo. Don't know if thats true or not, but it is extremely likely that was mistranslated either from the original English or when it was translated back into English the second time for the article (Remember it would have been translated twice so more room for mistakes). I doubt that Daisy would explicitly say she supported or didn't support any ship... she's probably not allowed to.

15. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    They’re certainly pushing the Rey/Kylo dynamic. I’d be puzzled if they weren’t.

At this point, I think they have no compunction about toying with any popular fan theory. LFL has acted quite cynically no matter what the final answer is.

Ben-Solo likes this.
  16. Gemlake

Gemlake Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 9, 2015
    I'm surprised that there appears to be a debate as to whether Reylo is canon. As Rian says, "it's all in the movie." Rian has specifically said that there is a "romantic drama" in TLJ. He has further clarified that it is not a Han Leia type of romance, with flirting and jokes. But neither it is one sided.

As for Daisy, I do think that her thoughts on Reylo are important. I wish we had a better translation of the interview, but it appears that she's commenting on what occurs in TLJ. And it's true. Rey and Kylo can't be together right now. The barriers between them are too great. At the end, she rightfully slams the door in his face.

With the horrible translation, it's hard to draw a specific conclusion as to what was said. But we do have a clear statement from her that she believes the relationship between Kylo and Rey in TLJ is "awesome." If Episode IX botches their relationship, I'm sure that she will let JJ (and perhaps the audience) know her feelings. She certainly made known her disdain for Rey Related theories.

oncafar and Birkendoc like this.
  17. Birkendoc

Sep 20, 2001
    He didn't go to the premiers after the London one.

oncafar likes this.
  18. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    They put so much in TLJ between Rey and Kylo that to think they didn't intend romantic tension or invite this speculation doesn't make sense. They knew what they were doing. If they didn't want more Rey/Kylo shipping after this film they went about it the wrong way. Also one way to really get people hooked on something is to create a scenario in which something comes so very close to happening but then is snatched away. And the PG scene showed Rey and Kylo are awesome when they are working together, so people want more of that.

19. milena

Jan 5, 2018
    I think the word of the writer and director weighs pretty heavily when it's about stuff that he actually wrote and directed. Rian hasn't exactly been subtle about Reylo.

Gemlake likes this.
  20. milena

Jan 5, 2018
    Yes, you're right.

21. Knessa84

Knessa84 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 21, 2014
    CairnsTony posted the interview from the site of the media company that did the interviews. It's there. It's not just on Weibo but Mtime (the media company).

Further, people are acting like Adam wasn't physically present for his interview as some sort of "gotcha" that the whole transcript is fake? You mean he used technology like a phone or skype!? Or Chinese press interviewed him somewhere else!? That's crazy talk! The fact is, Disney pushed this movie hard in China so of course they would make the cast available in some way shape or form for interviews. Ultimately, TLJ has been a failure in China but that's beside the point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Jacques who, EHT, wobbits and 3 others like this.
  22. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Of course they knew there’d be this kind of speculation. The very fact that the two primary leads are a good-looking young man and a good-looking young woman was always in itself enough to make LFL’s expectations about fan reactions obvious. And of course, until and unless they confirm who Rey’s parents are (and I’m sure we’ll get a visual when the time comes) and clarify what the “connection” is between her and Kylo...Yeah.

23. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    At this point Rey and Kylo could end IX holding hands, her belly swollen with the next generation Skywalker heir, and folks would still be "but we didn't see them actually make the baby so it doesn't count".

I'm struggling to understand how the same people who were dead wrong about Rey's parentage, and the nature of Reylo, can be back, confident as ever, that everything is going their way?

Nobody knows for a fact what JJ is going to do. But I would think that TLJ taught us all a valuable lesson about confusing our personal canon with LFL's actual canon.

24. milena

Jan 5, 2018
  25. milena

Jan 5, 2018
    Pretty much using the same arguments they did before TLJ, it's like TLJ never happened. Some people completely ignores and denies everything that happened on screen and was explained by writer/director. It's difficult to take such arguments seriously. I really don't know how to respond to that? [face_plain]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.