main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Kylo Ren's Future/Fate. Death/Redemption/Other?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by RSarnecky, Dec 19, 2015.

?

Should Kylo Ren Be Killed Off or Redeemed?

1. Killed Off

343 vote(s)
    32.0%
  2. Redeemed

547 vote(s)
    51.0%
  3. Other

183 vote(s)
    17.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RSarnecky

RSarnecky Jedi Youngling

Dec 18, 2015
    After watching TFA, I was wondering how they are going to handle the Ben Solo character for the rest of the series. They can't turn him back, otherwise it's pretty much a blatant rip-off of the ROTJ storyline where Vader turns good.

2. The Grace of the Force

The Grace of the Force Jedi Padawan

Dec 18, 2015
    I hope Fin will avenge him. Maybe there will be an uprising in the First Order and his followers will avenge him.

3. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    He'll turn back at the end of Ep 8 and be killed by Supreme Leader in 9.

4. TheReal_Rebel

TheReal_Rebel Jedi Master star 3

Sep 17, 2015
    Could be, but first we need to find out how he came under the Supreme Leaders sway.

We know Palpatine and other Sith are very good at seducing the young to their cause. But seducing the son of Leia Organa AND the nephew of Luke, the Last Jedi (or at least the last known Jedi)--what a Dark Side coup! How Snoke do it?

Was Ben a privileged but neglected child? He says to Rey, "You think of Han Solo as the father you never had, but he'll only disappoint you."

How was Ben disappointed by Han? Leia says she lost her son and Han when she sent Ben to Luke. How?

They have to show us.

There was an image of Adam Driver that I'm not sure I can mention because I don't know if it was supposed to be in TFA or SW8 or was dropped altogether, but it hints at a light side Ben in the Resistance. Was he captured and brain washed?

As Ben stands now? The suffering and pain Snoke will put Ben/Kylo through for his failures and in order to impaire Leia and draw both Luke and Rey to him should be hideous. Like what Vader did to Han to catch Luke. But Snoke will say it's part of his "training."

Will Ben turn back towards the Light? Doubt it. It depends on why he venerates Vader so much. What does he feel he is missing that the Dark side gives him?

5. Kynirin

Kynirin Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 16, 2015
    Well, it seems he aspires to be as great as Darth Vader and is consumed by the thought of falling short. Redemption being a big thing in Star Wars and because of the Vader connection, I imagine this is exactly what might happen. He does become just as great, but as a Jedi, not on the Dark Side. Vader's return to the light was his very last act, he never got to live a life after becoming good again. With Ben, they could look into what kind of a life a reformed villain could have. Forgiveness, atonement, how easy or difficult all that is.

Birkendoc, KCSB, AshAngel and 3 others like this.
  6. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    He seems to currently be very much like Anakin in AOTC: far more angry than he should be, far less powerful than he thinks he is. And very frustrated that he isn't where he wants to be in his development.

In the end, though, killing Han leaves only two possibilities: he dies as Ben Solo, repenting his crimes; or he dies as Kylo Ren, a villain who gets what's coming to him. Either way, I don't see him surviving.

7. hansolodies

hansolodies Jedi Youngling

Dec 15, 2015
    Why not just wait till the movie comes out? Why do people enjoy spending precious seconds they'll never get back speculating over things they have no control over? And worse, you might think of a better way for the movie to go, creating unrealistic expectations.

Lee_, Pfluegermeister and Bobatron like this.
  8. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I think Ben Solo will try to become more machine than man in order to "shed" his lightside.

9. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    he got slashed up pretty good. maybe he'll have some metal on him like the concept art.

Dra--- and The Jaded Irk like this.
  10. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I think it would be cool and grotesque if that Vader mask actually becomes his face.

11. Ceirwyn

Ceirwyn Jedi Youngling

Dec 27, 2015
    I think Ben is Un-Vadar and will continue to be very different from Vadar, even as he progresses. He's more passive, cautious, and calmer than Anakin ever was. Anakin was a natural for the darkside because anger was his base emotion, so rage came easily to him. It actually doesn't for Ben and never will.

I think Kylo's fate may be to accept being gray and develop Ren as an alternative group for Sith and Jedi.

Wookiekisser and Darkspellmaster like this.
  12. Snacky

Snacky Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 17, 2015
    I'm hoping he's actually pulling a "luke skywalker" and is so deep undercover to get close to Snoke that he's starting to lose it for real.

13. Elle-Wan

Elle-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 2004

Nobody is going to avenge Han by killing Ren. That would be utter stupidity. Ben may die somehow, but Han ultimately gave his life in the attempt to save his son. The last thing Han would want is someone killing Ben to avenge him.

Nautstaq330, AshiusX, Force22 and 4 others like this.
  14. Elle-Wan

Jul 11, 2004

because it's fun?

15. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    He's too far gone to be redeemed and accepted by the main crew, but he can certainly still go rogue and turn on Snoke.

16. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I don't think Kylo will turn back to the light. That's been done. I think they wanted a bad to the bone Skywalker.

The only thing that gives me pause about that is how he was written to feel weak after killing Han. That seems like a set up to show the audience that there is still good in him. Ultimately, though, I think he'll stay bad, and fuel his dark side rage with anger at himself for still feeling a pull to the light, even after killing his father.

17. Bigger Fish

Bigger Fish Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 24, 2015
    Kylo to actually wear Vader's mask in the next film.. [face_whistling]

18. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Yup. And in this context, I think we'll see some of that old Kylo Ren concept art surface in Episode 8 and 9.

[​IMG]

19. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    if kylo wore that mask hed look like the phantom of the opera :p

20. Bigger Fish

Bigger Fish Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 24, 2015
    morrison85.

It is his destiny. Vader's mask will be returning.. :vader:

21. Elle-Wan

Jul 11, 2004

My instinct is that Ben will redeem himself somehow, but he'll have to do it in an act of self-sacrifice. They kind of paint themselves into a corner with bad-guy redemption themes where you can redeem yourself and die a hero, but you can't do something good and then just become one of the good guys.

knightindullarmor likes this.
  22. Blueandwhite

Blueandwhite Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 25, 2005
    I have the feeling that Kylo Ren will lose to Rey but not be killed. He'll be tossed off by Snoke as he tries to turn Rey to the dark side, viewing his current apprentice as being unworthy. Ren will then sulk off in madness knowing that he killed his father and he was found unworthy by his dark master. He will then have a Gollum moment and turn on Snoke in the third film dying in madness but giving the heroes (Rey) an opportunity to overpower Snoke and obtain victory. Kylo Ren seems to be a character who we are supposed to pity. He is a pathetic imitation of his grandfather and even stands in the shadow of his father and mother, a non-force user and a force sensitive who chose to be a general rather than a Jedi.

23. Sepia

Sepia Jedi Youngling

Dec 21, 2015
    I've just got an idea... What if all that we've seen in the Ep. 7 is just a nightmare vision that Luke had, sort of Anakin's vision about Padme's death? A future that a jedi "foresees" will not necessary happen, a vision may be misguiding.

Han and Leia let Luke train Ben after they realise there is too much of Vader in him. At one point Luke finds himself reluctant, he hesitates, he has a vision about Ben turning to the Dark side and becoming a Vader's successor. He "foresees" Kylo Ren killing innocent unarmed people, his own father... Luke has a temptation to reject Ben, stop his training. If he gives in to this temptation, he will provoke fulfillment of this vision instead of escaping it.

But Luke won't repeat his father's mistake, he won't trust his fear, he won't stop training Ben, and in the ep. VIII we'll see a completely different story where Ben Solo is on the Light side, Han and Leia are still together, and Han is alive.

24. Padawanpappas

Padawanpappas Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2015

This crossed my mind as I was reading here. What if Kylo Ren is a cover? To get to Snoke. Killing Han is the big problem... would one do that to keep a cover? (Snape?) I admit I haven't read the novelization etc so this may be answered somewhere.

I do agree that these stories are about redemption but alot of that was Lucas's vision....we may find ourselves in a galaxy that is much more tinted with "gray areas"....I think Kylo Ren will repent but it will cost him his life as it did Vader....but perhaps only at the end will he fully understand....

Lady_Misty and Darkspellmaster like this.
  25. JediBlack

JediBlack Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 31, 2015
    I think they will indeed turn him back. Otherwise, and someone else pointed this out in another thread, it will cast too much darkness over the SW characters we know. It would mean that the one and only (?) child of Han and Leia indeed turned out an irredeemable monster. And Anakin - he got his redemption at the end, but now due to his actions his grandson was tempted to the dark side and was lost in it forever? It's just too dark I feel for the SW narrative. There is an acceptance that there are unredeemable bad guys - Emperor Palpatine, Darth Maul etc - but we don't know them all that well. For a main SW 'family' member to go evil forever...it just puts a very dark cloud over the OT and really the entire SW narrative of hope.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.