main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Kylo Ren's Future/Fate. Death/Redemption/Other?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by RSarnecky, Dec 19, 2015.

?

Should Kylo Ren Be Killed Off or Redeemed?

1. Killed Off

343 vote(s)
    32.0%
  2. Redeemed

547 vote(s)
    51.0%
  3. Other

183 vote(s)
    17.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    I wonder if JJ would have the balls to let Kylo do something truly reprehensible onscreen in ep 9, something like Anakin`s moment of slaughtering the Younglings, just more in-depth. Then again, if such a scene was in there early in the movie, you`d immediately know his chances of redemption were zil.

Maybe JJ will pull a Khan: introduced in a real villain scene, then a seemingly sympathetic motive/backstory, then joining the good guys because aligning goals, then the "double-twist" on "were you seriously under the impression I wasn`t out for myself?" of skull-crashing and leg-stomping. Wouldn`t fit too well, though, since Khan was strong-willed and in control.

2. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    Kylo already did something truly reprehensible: he murdered his own father who was there to help him. Believe me, he's reprehensible enough. Oh, not to mention how he killed all of the Luke's Jedi, some of who were kids it seems.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  3. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    I`ve seen explanations for why every single act wasn`t that bad so far. It was Han`s fault for being behind enemy lines, it was the villagers fault for fighting back, it was Lor San Tekka`s fault for not being cooperative, Han really sacrificed himself (and turned on the lightsaber on his own), it was Snoke`s/Luke`s/Hux` fault. And so on and so forth.

And RJ went by the temple massacre itself as quickly as he possibly could. Beyond a throwaway line of Luke`s those students might have been made out of thin air - noone gave a crap about them in the movie. That goes for the killed ones as well as the darkside ones.

You can equally explain away a lot of Anakin`s actions in ROTS (though honestly, I haven`t seen it) but those kids? Even he looked sick to his stomach and he was actual perpetrator.

wobbits, KnightStorm and AhsokaSolo like this.
  4. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    I don't care about explanations, or reading what people say as trying to minimize. It WAS gutsy to have Kylo kill Han and JJA did that and IIRC it was so people would take Kylo seriously as a villain or something. There is no question that JJA is "balls enough" in this way. I personally would rather see the character become less reprehensible because he is plenty reprehensible already.

Unless this argument is about how visual it all is? That doesn't make a difference to me. I don't need to see Kylo killing many of Luke's Jedi to understand that he did and what that means. But if you want visuals, he plunged a lightsaber through his father's heart, chopped down an old man, and ordered the slaughter of all the villagers at the beginning of TFA, and I remember at least one child among them.

Like this character doesn't need to be made worse. He is plenty bad already.

And people have made sympathetic statements about Anakin before. I personally can and do sympathize with both characters. That doesn't mean I don't think their actions are terrible.

godisawesome likes this.
  5. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Kylo's evil credentials are well established. It's the "why should the audience understand him and want to see him redeemed" part that is underdeveloped, and that's the charge that IX has; give us some reason to be satisfied with Kylo's endpoint. It can't fix the complaints some of us have about TLJ making Rey act as though he was understandable or sympathetic, but IX can at least give a reasoning for itself. He has the same deplorable atrocity record that his grandfather did. What he *needs* is a believable motivation for turning evil in the first place, and a believable reason to turn back towards the light; the latter is especially important since two movies have hinged crucial scenes on him choosing the darkness in a way that shows total mental commitment, even if his heart is at war with his mind.

To me, the perfect recipe is:

-Start IX with Kylo as a competent and dangerous but bitter, discontent madman, ala Macbeth, clearly in denial about his evil and hinting at whatever delusions made him choose the dark side.
    -Continue to worsen his mental state and reveal to Rey what happened to him to make him go bad.
    -Have him serve as the primary antagonist throughout IX to make good on the Emperor Skywalker premise
    -Have Rey force him to see the truth, utterly shattering the Kylo Ren identity as Ben screams in anguish at the web of lies the identity was built.
    -Establish Ben as a deeply pitiable broken shell of a man regretting and lamenting everything he's done as Kylo Ren
    -Have this new Ben help save some people in the fallout of the finale
    -Have him marooned or exiled as penance on some planet, so he can take the long route to redemption.

6. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    @godisawesome Now, I'm not saying this will happen, and I'm not even sure I want this approach either (that said, i do like your framework) but let's just subvert this a bit just for the sake of a different approach.

What if he doesn't really suck as a leader (yeah, I know, I doubt it too.) What if he was an idealist like a Marcus Aurelius and not Commodus if you'll allow me to use a Gladiator reference. He did say he wanted to do away with the past, and that could mean past models for regimes. He doesn't want tyranny, and just order with dubious intentions to obtain it..

*shrugs*

What if Hux is the blood thirsty tyrant in the making that disrupts the attempt at brokered peace. We still get the Emperor Skywalker imagery, but the with a coup, bloodshed and distruption of peace. Because just like Game of Thrones, as soon as you claim the throne, everyone in your kingdom is pointing a knife at your back. I'd love an Brutus-like moment with an ambush, assassination attempt and winding up with absolutely nothing except the clothes on his back. A man without a country where he will find no quarter anywhere.

If you want to subvert the damsel in distress trope, put him in a situation where it is Rey doing the saving, only she saves a broken shell of a Ben Solo. She doesn't need to break him. He's already broken. If he was the character of privilege, let him discover that he is the one now that is nothing.

And then let him discover his motivations and purpose. What do you do when you are nothing, have nothing and you're persona non grata in every corner of the galaxy? What is important to you then, and what is worth fighting for?

Not saying it will happen, but it is another dig deep inside yourself scenario where Ben Solo can emerge from the broken shell of a Kylo Ren and be forced to make some mature decisions that could determine if he lives or dies, is redeemed or condemned.

Take everything away and then give him the freedom of choice.

milena, Makarios, Dragon Jedi and 2 others like this.
  7. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

8. IncessantRamblings

IncessantRamblings Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2016
    Neither of those quotes have anything to do with the fact that Leia felt hope was gone, and Luke reminded her it wasn't.

It's not Luke's job to 'save Kylo's soul', and him replying 'no' doesn't imply he thinks he's 'gone forever', it simply means he isn't there to 'save' him. Kylo needs to save himself.

Leia telling Rey 'we have everything we need', also has nothing to do with Kylo being redeemed. They don't need Kylo to be the hero or to rebuild; he isn't, that's Rey's position. I guess that's assuming one thinks Kylo is needed to save the day? That was Rey's mistake but it still has nothing to with whether Kylo can/or will be redeemed.

9. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    You need someone to love in order to be saved from the dark side. Right?

10. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    Well, given Luke's part in Ben's turn, I think he knows he can't be the one to save him. It doesn't necessarily mean Kylo is entirely on his own when it comes to being saved. The novel seems to hint that there actually is someone who can help save/guide him, but leaves it open as to whom.

I think that person will be Rey, ultimately, though others may help in the event that Ben decides to leave the FO. For example, I can see him turning toward Lando for help, especially if he needs to change ships or requires medical attention or something while defecting.

11. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    That's the thing. Regardless of the shipper conflicts on this forum, I think Ben does admire and is falling in love with Rey. I don't know if he will win over Kylo, but this is there. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with such a story.

12. Ava G.

Jul 7, 2016
    That gives me a rad idea. Here's a challenge to the writers.

The event that inspires Kylo to become Ben again is. . .

watching BB-8 be destroyed.

Make that work with the majority of the audience, and I will take back every negative thing I've ever said about the ST.

Birkendoc, Dragon Jedi and oncafar like this.
  13. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    That could actually work if BB-8 was Ben's droid, the representative of everyone's inner child and all innocence.

Lomesa and Ava G. like this.
  14. Ava G.

Jul 7, 2016
    ~nods~ It'd be ideal.

I figure as it stands they might be able to base it on the end of 3:10 to Yuma.

15. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I kind of agree, but at the same time, I'd say that Kylo Ren as a character has, as one of his core elements, a defining fanaticism in his dedication towards the dark side above even his love for others. That's ultimately what killing Han was about for the character, as is the twisted shame and insecurity he feels over hesitating and failing to kill his mother, and why his turn on Rey was a pretty quick and vicious snap back when she declined to join him in killing her friends and ruling the Galaxy as a fascist power couple (platonic or otherwise.)

Some element of selflessness, best personified by unconditional love, is almost certainly necessary for a dark sider to exit the dark. But Kylo's problem is his mental state, his personal philosophy, and his willpower and dedication to that mental state; his emotions towards his parents are clearly very powerful, far more powerful, I'd argue, than the pretty shallow infatuation he has towards Rey, since we've seen what killing Han and nearly killing Leia did to him, while neither he nor Rey seemed to understand the most basic aspect of each other's morality and priorities.

And since two films ina. Row have emphasized how successfully resistant Kylo is towards emotional appeals, and because this Trilogy is more Rey's than his, I really feel like some kids of mental attack, some kind of externally forced self-reflection and honesty or revelation from Rey upon Kylo is what should free Ben. Doing so would give her a clear victory over him, and since it's not a physical accomplishment, it would still be new ground.

What I don't see being done well is Rey just doing an emotional appeal, especially not one based off of some attraction between them. TLJ kind of poisoned that well.

16. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    Kylo Ren has to be bad 2+/3 movies. He's the villain.

I personally don't see Rey doing some emotional appeal. If Ben feels something for her, and feels it enough, when push comes to shove it will make a difference.

Some people don't want to believe this, but Ben/Kylo hasn't been in this position yet, so no one really knows.

IncessantRamblings and Birkendoc like this.
  17. Ava G.

Jul 7, 2016
    @godisawesome A mental attack.

I think I know what you're getting at. I read a book about hypnotism once, and they called it a "pattern break".

Kylo's pattern when faced with positive feelings is to recognize them objectively (that's a big one), and use his willpower to smother those feelings out with his rational philosophy.

godisawesome likes this.
  18. Dragon Jedi

Dragon Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2018
    Snoke and Hux bear the same responsibility for being the leader of a repressive, imperialistic system (call it "fascist" if you prefer). Hux being the general in command of military operations. Kylo Ren is...what? Enforcer? Commander? If Hux gave orders to Kylo, he is responsible as much as he is. Or... is he not?
    Kylo slaughtered an old, disarmed man. It was cowardly ugly.
    You will never hear from me that it was well done. It was ugly, together with the rest we have seen on screen.

And yet.
    I am taken aback from the deliberate overlooking, discharging of Hux as a villain (let alone Snoke, but he's dead)
    If there is one responsible for genocide, that's Hux.
    Talking about fanatics, it's Hux who says: "Because he would enjoy every engagement, surrender, and execution. The galaxy had been hobbled by disease for far too long, but Hux had sterilized the infection. Now he would cut out the dead tissue." (Fry, The Last Jedi, page 288)
    Which sounds so much like Agent Smith in Matrix ("Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You're a plague and we are the cure.").

You hear a similar, and yet different thought from Kylo in his speach to Mitaka "It is the task of the First Order to remove the disorder from our own existence, so that civilization may be returned to the stability that promotes progress. A stability that existed under the Empire, was reduced to anarchy by the Rebellion, was inherited in turn by the so-called Republic, and will be restored by us. Future historians will look upon this as the time when a strong hand brought the rule of law back to civilization.”
    (Foster, The Force Awakens, page 92)
    Kylo's speech has the same rhetoric of the Romans conquering the barbaric Europe, I honestly miss the zealous fanaticism of Hux and the first-person address (the "I"). In addition, it is completely void of the openly sadistic tones of Hux' speech.

So, I wonder why it is Kylo Ren who must bear the full responsibility of being the Big Bad of this trilogy, while Snoke and Hux are [deliberately] put aside from the big picture.

Perhaps because they are not candidates of a redemption arc?

I know my posts may be considered by some as whataboutism. Believe me, I am fully aware of the crime committed by Kylo Ren and how ugly they are. But it is this pointing finger to the one and only "escape goat" as the onyl responsible for all the diseases afflicting the whole universe that triggers the "devil's advocate" reaction in me (let alone extremely questionable actions from socalled "heroes" who are even justified).
    I said in several posts that I see no point of return for Kylo Ren, from the place where he is now.
    The only absolution for Kylo is to die. And I do not even mean it symbolically. I mean it literally.

At the same time I make the case of Ben Solo as a victim of severe wrongdoings which are totally dismissed and more often than not forgotten. I expect more details on his fall and a confirmation of a heavy mental conditioning (manipulation) we only have hints of in the Fry novelisation and in the film from Snoke.
    That's why I also say that Ben Solo deserves to live, deserves to raise from the ashes of Kylo Ren to take back a life that was stolen from him, as Leia says herself.

If Kylo Ren dies along with Ben Solo, what kind of justice have we achieved for Ben?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    Birkendoc and milena like this.
  19. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Kylo Ren is officially outside Hux's chain of command and given autonomy as Snoke's apprentice. He is emphatically *not* Hux's enforcer; in fact of the "Triumvirate of Starkiller Base," as established in TFA's supplemental material, Phasma is the one closest to that description, since she has shares power with the other two, but stays out of Hux and Kylo's rivalry.

The massacre of the villagers is Kylo's responsibility, just as slaughtering the Padawans was Anakin's... though Anakin was acting more explicitly under Palpatine's command, so it may be a more accurate comparison to the times Vader murdered a civilian or two dozen on his own prerogative. Phasma's request for an explicit order from Kylo shows that he had operational control there. Hux is not tied to this particular crime; he has his own genocide to account for, but this was Kylo's mission and Kylo's personal atrocity. Snoke can probably be indirectly tied to this crime, but only indirectly; while his teachings and influence on Kylo undoubtedly form the mental schema that leads Kylo to this action, we have zero evidence that he gave anything more than a mission objective to Kylo, and Kylo's own insecurities about being Vader's heir did the rest.

Understand, my point is not to make Kylo the scapegoat for all FO crimes; Hux and Snoke clearly bear more direct responsibility for what happened to the Hosnian System, while Kylo is only complicit by way of knowledge, inaction, and tacit approval. But my point is that Kylo does bear responsibility for crimes *not* personally tied to our cast of heroes who can forgive him. When it comes to the village, only any surviving relatives they may have and the Force can offer him that. This is why Kylo can't have a dramatically satisfying "happy ending;" personal crimes against major cast members could be, theoretically, forgiven in an explicit nature where Kylo could then afford to return to society afterwards, though having all our characters forgive him would strain credulity and possibly break any believability, but because his crimes include atrocities committed against background characters, that means the lore is involved and having the lore bend over backwards to have the Galaxy offer him amnesty would just be bad writing.

And the reason why I feel like Kylo has now become the Big Bad of the trilogy and not Hux? Because, while Hux has more blood on his hands, and he most certainly does, Hux is also a sycophantic bureaucrat who we haven't seen get his hands dirty and who is clearly not actually on Kylo's power level in any way. Hux has the same issue as Starscream; he's not Big Bad material. Kylo is a hands-on murderer while also being guilty of casual war crimes and has ascended to leadership of this fascistic, genocidal regime through murder and intimidation. And I'll be honest, I have zero interest in seeing IX try to portray him as an almost-right authoritarian; this is Star Wars, where evil is evil, and beyond that, unless he personally disassembled the FO right after taking over, he's still going to be stained with the blood of their actions and profiting from the mass-genocide they committed.

ALLL THAT SAID! Yeah, I'm still hoping for Ben to have a redemption arc, but a very painful, long-lasting, beyond-the-end-of-the film penance. But not because of any Ben Solo we've seen in this series yet; I want to see him go on the long road to redemption because that would be a fresh and original ending for the Skywalker Saga, not because of anything done with the character yet. That's another issue between Kylo and Hux: I understand why Hux is the way he is, but I don't yet understand why Kylo is Kylo. Like you, I presume that IX should finally reveal to us why. But whenever they reveal that, it's going to be to the credit of Abrams and Terrio, and not Rian Johnson, because Johnson didn't give me any reason to believe "Ben" was a real thing in TLJ even though that was a major plot point.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  20. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    I think this is the most intriguing part of a redemption arc: what does he do once the end credits music starts.

Ben Solo will be a marked man the rest of his life one way or another if he makes out alive in IX. And while I have zero expectations that Adam Driver will ever take on the role again, I would love to follow Ben Solo's story of reconciliation. How does he walk the straight and narrow and resist temptation to succumb to darkness? Who is there to support his journey? How will the galaxy view him in the aftermath? It's something I would love to read in novels.

He's different than Vader or Palpatine or Snoke. He has 2/3 of his life left to live. That is enough time to tip the scales when it comes to acts of atonement.

21. milena

milena Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2018
  22. IncessantRamblings

IncessantRamblings Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2016
    I would say yes, but it has to be someone (or a group of people) who can't offer you anything.... In other words it has to be selfless. (I'm not saying other types of love are impossible BUT saying that the most important reason is doing it for the right reasons not what you get from it)

Darth Gummybear, milena and oncafar like this.
  23. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Honestly I'd be happy with Ben being put in a Loki-like cell for the rest of his life, but he's available for people to visit and seek advice about his experiences.

24. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I’m a supporter of the Loki/ Magneto/ Morgoth imprisonment route.

DannyD and KnightStorm like this.
  25. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    Me too.

And I had been wondering of this...

Both sides (light and dark, First Order and Resistance) are complicit in the creation of the wars - the incident on Canto Bight is quite explicit about this as is Luke's "I will not fight you."

Therefore removing the machineries of war and/or getting "balance in the force" seems to suggest a peace of some sort or certainly an absence of wars.

So having Kylo imprisoned or exiled contains the "evil" and he becomes the monster in the cupboard/Frankenstein's monster (another narrative type alongside the hero's journey).

With "evil contained" this leaves the "good" to have adventures in dealing with life - healing pain, suffering, overcoming injustice, etc - rather than dealing with and being complicit in war. "The Jedi were the guardians.." etc.

Containing Kylo may bring balance to the Force and the end of the Star Wars. As Kylo says about Vader - consciously aware of this or just poetic justice I don't know - "I'll finish what you started".

For Disney... This would free them up to tell countless stories of Jedi and good people that are not war-related and more in line with samurai tales/wandering monks/overcoming lesser evils. It would allow them to broaden out the characters too - not everyone needs to be a trooper or warrior. So they can branch out in the Star Wars universe in many ways. Eg. Lots of little stories like in Monkey or the Water Margin, the A-team, Knight Rider, or better TV series you can think of. Whether this is in film or TV or not is to be debated elsewhere of course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.