main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit L-Canon -- or, Taking Matters Into Our Own Hands (Final Results Announced)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Mar 6, 2013.

1. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    indeed, and there it also said that these ISDs are the Imperial Fleet as in poetically implying this is THE fleet, not a fleet. and nobody wants to govern a galaxy with 30+x SDS :p or does any minimalist in the room object? ;)

another thing to note is, movies tend to shorten distances whereas the EU blows them up. In movie the Falcon leaps to Bespin with sublight... in EU they needed to invent the secondary hyperdrive to do that due to Anoat and Bespin being different systems instead of close by. Heck in movie alone it seemed as if Bespin sat right behind the Hoth asteroid belt *sigh. NJO books maps even had the Ison Corridor much larger than later Atlas maps did.

so when a movie guesses Sullust can get SDS attention from Endor.. and the EU makes both much more distant, it is like TCW saying Gungans are closest help to Dac!

but a point in favor of minimalism: the Rebel fleet maybe is THE fleet of the main rebellion with its semiindependent cells owning their own fleets in some sectors which are not counted here and used for keeping the Empire busy. the Rebellion is an Alliance of several groups after all and the fleet at Endor only represents THE rebel fleet proper, whereas the other assets were not under direct alliance control but merely could be lent to the Alliance by the individual member groups. also the Rebel main fleet was thinned out a lot in between ANH and ROTJ as seen in comics.

2. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    [face_sigh]You all seem to be trying to prove all those establishment men who say that anarchy doesn't work....

Let's vote, goddamn it!

Is the Rebel fleet at Endor the issue now? Let's start with the Death Star II.

A.The Empire diverted all available resources & had no bureaucracy to worry about​

B. The Death Star is made of deconstructed worldship/habitation spheres etc.​

If I missed anything, let's add more options. But let's vote already!

3. Grand Admiral Crumb

Grand Admiral Crumb Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 25, 2013
    Well considering that the Emperor had planned for the Rebels to be there wouldn't he have only had enough ships there that he thought would be able to take out the Rebel fleet. I mean at the start of the battle he doesn't even have Death Squadron engaging the fleet, merely stopping them from leaving. The only thing that ended up saving them was Han and the Ewok's ingenuity being able to take out the shield generator.

Is the problem with DS2's size that it would have had gravitational effects on Endor's moon? It's my understanding that the only things finished on it were the super-laser and other entirely essential functions. I mean it looks like there's almost half of it missing. Also, I doubt the finished product was going to have openings for a YT-1300 to fly through and around. It looks like you could almost fit a full Nebulon-B in that core section.

4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    A - Empire knows how to get stuff done under the gun the 2nd time, dammit!

5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  6. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
  7. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    A. Though I wouldn't say all available resources, as a couple hundred freighters from XTS was sufficient for a proportion of their transport needs. The Empire also probably learned some rather useful lessons from the construction of the first Death Star as well.

8. Darth_Culator

Darth_Culator Jedi Master star 2

Dec 10, 2005
    Because someone has to say it, the phrase "THE EMPIRE IS VICTORIOUS ON ALL FRONTS!" does not exclude the "fronts" of architecture, construction, or any other aspect of civil or military engineering.

If you have to squeeze that into one of the options, I suppose it's "A." :p

Valin__Kenobi and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  9. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
  10. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    C. DS2 was built on top of the exploded shell of DS1 (hence the incomplete side, where the thermal exhaust port had previously been) which, like the doomium-plated compartment containing the Glove of Darth Vader when DS2 itself was later destroyed at Endor, was teleported through time and space through a wormhole when DS1 was destroyed at Yavin. DS2 was thus not really a "Second" Death Star, and can be more accurately described as Death Star One-and-a-Half, or DS1.5 for short.

So my vote goes for DS2 being the repaired wreckage of DS1.

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  11. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

I switch my vote to C!!!

This also answers the mystery of why the DS2 had a central superlaser beam which DS1 did not have coming from the dish! DS1 simply uses the interior DS1 superlaser beam already united.. and adds further superlasers to make it even more powerful! BAZINGA brilliant Zor!

And... why did ENDOR get its own sweet Holocaust but Yavin IV etc. never did? We know of DS wreckage in the jungle... mostly shot down Ties but also there was hints at more.

12. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    The lack of a Yavin Holocaust was because the entirety of the Death Star was teleported through space, not just a small compartment containing the Glove of Darth Vader, but the whole superstructure. Thus, no debris, no Yavin Holocaust.

13. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    So WHO on board created the Hyperspace Wormhole.. a feat so far only Palpatine could do in Dark Empire? Which agent was it that saved the debris from Rebel salvage? *looks at Cronal/Blackhole* come out I found you! Only guy aside Palpatine who could do this.. since it is the only thing making sense to have saved him from his hyperspace trap at the and of Shadows of Mindor!

14. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    I would like to remind everyone that the issue is how come it took only two months of work for the Death Star II to look like this:

[​IMG]

The issue is NOT how it was almost done in 3 years. I also consider the Empire to be very efficient, but there's a huge difference between 3 years and 3 months.

Which is why, B.
    Please.... [face_talk_hand] No one but Palpatine can pull a wormhole.

15. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    [​IMG]

=/=

[​IMG]

Iron_lord and Zorrixor like this.
  16. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    Still, I find 3 months from a stage where no plans have being laid out to even a superstructure hard to swallow.

17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    For the first one, sure, but between the DS1 and the long history of habitation spheres and the like, the superstructure of something like that is probably fairly old hat.

And who's to say they weren't always gonna make a second one?

Iron_lord likes this.
  18. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    D. The Empire had been working on a second Death Star for a long time. The first was near completion and now that they had the kinks worked out from the building of the first, they could make another Death Star. To save time and pump them out ASAP, they decided to make them smaller. Of course, even with smaller and less kinks, it would still take a while to build. Thus, they started construction around 5 BBY whatever, we can vote on a date, with most resources devoted to this perfected Death Star of a smaller and simpler scale, which is why the Death Star took 19 years and why the DS2 took much shorter, they slowed down production on the 1st Death Star in order to pump out a second. Imagine the power of the Empire with 2 DEATH STARS! Unfortunately, that never came to be, since the 1st was destroyed before they could pump out the second.

Just food for thought.

Edit: Thanks Cooper! I didn't base this theory off of your comment above, thought it when I read the issue, but your comment acts as a circumstantial introduction that actually works!

CeiranHarmony and CooperTFN like this.
  19. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    If that picture is not artistic license, 3 months is too soon. This thing is so big it supposedly dwarfs "it's no moon" big. Even if they know how to build the superstructure, the demands of the scale and the very substantial differences from the 1st one (they definitely didn't just reuse the plans) don't really allow for that much progress in 3 months.

We know that Palpatine ordered it just prior to Yavin, so that's when they must have began construction.

We know that they constructed from the central pipe and shafts outwards, so the picture does not represent an empty shell (like a piece of a cracked eggshell facing the camera on the unbroken side -- which is an absolutely counterproductive and idiotic way to construct anything anyway, even if you're working with Lego bricks).

So they must have done like 70% in 3 months while the remaining 30% took 3 years. It seems to me rather absurd for that picture to be taken seriously and not have the Death Star be made from something massive already available.

LelalMekha likes this.
  20. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    E) Artistic license--what we're seeing is, in reality, perhaps 5-10% of the total construction workload.

Iron_lord likes this.
  21. credar

Sep 18, 2011
    F. Waru took an unfinished 1st Death Star from an alternate universe and gave it to the Empire

G. Cad Bane was on the construction crew. He is Duro after all.

On a serious note, I think there are way too many options at this point. We already have 5. Should we put it to a first round vote to narrow these down to 2 or 3?

22. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    Let's see:

A. The Empire diverted all available resources & had no bureaucracy to worry about

B. DS2 is made of deconstructed worldship/habitation spheres etc.

C. DS2 is not DS2 because it's DS1.

And D, which is against the rules, no? If it's canon that the Death Star II was ordered just about the same time as Yavin, having it constructed earlier is impossible.

23. credar

Sep 18, 2011
    Wait, what source states that DS2 was ordered around The Battle of Yavin?

And if my idea ends up being thrown out, I vote B.

24. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    The Essential Guide to Warfare, I believe. Brand new info. Was it absolutely necessary? And then, the new Star Wars comic artist has to screw things up.... The problem with these authors and artists is they're too cocky. :p

25. credar

Sep 18, 2011
    Well with the Greedo thing, we sort of threw out what George Lucas said. I'm sure we could ignore one tiny line [face_batting]

CeiranHarmony likes this.