main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Laberinto del Fauno (aka Pan's Labyrinth)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by malkieD2, Dec 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Have I missed the thread on this?

The latest offering from Guillermo del Toro (that would be the director of Blade and Hellboy is Laberinto del Fauno (aka Pan's Labyrinth) Official site = http://www.panslabyrinth.com/

A mixture of fantasy and horror sees a young girl who lives in an imaginary fantasy world to the back drop of post-WW2 Spain.

[image=http://www.comicon.com/thebeat/panslabyrinthint1.jpg]
    [image=http://www.jeffpidgeon.com/uploaded_images/pan5-704810.jpg]

Plenty of violence, but all of it with a point.

This movie has already received great reviews, and is sure to be an oscar nod for next year. It's been out in the UK for a while, but I gather it isn't out in the US yet.

Apparently a fantastic movie, but sadly I haven't caught it yet, and it seems to be out of the cinema now.

Has anyone seen it - is it any good? Is it being hyped in the US?

Is the US mainstream market (with a clear appetite for fantasy movies) still afraid of foreign language movies?

2. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    The trailer for it looked amazing.

3. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    This looks amazing.

4. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    No there isn't much talk about it in the US at all except for the random mention from time to time that it will get as being a lock for a best foriegn film nod.

Looks great to me though. I've been looking forward to it for awhile. It will be a bit before I get to see it though. It doesn't open wide in the states until Jan 17th.

5. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    I'm disappointed that I missed it - the trailer on TV looked great (which is available on the website), I just didn't realise it was in the cinema already.

I'm hoping increasing popularity might result in them showing it again in the cinema. It's great to see these sorts of movies being made, because to some extent I'm sick of watching mainstream comic books movies which follow nearly identical plots and twists with the same cardboard actors in them. X3 was great, but still didn't escape from the cookie-cutter franchise movie for my liking.

It's just a pity that this movie won't get the billing it deserves.

6. weezer

May 16, 2001
    I agree that it would be great to see more movies like this in general. The comic book glut is the current trend but sometihng like this shows that there are still original movies out there.

I think in the end it will do well enough for itself all things considered. I mean foreign language films in general seldom do well at the box office. What should really help is the Oscar buzz that its been generating. If it ends up winning I imagine that it will end up doing pretty well for itself. A foreign language win may not be as big as a best picture win but it will certainly bring in more money and recognition.

7. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Can't say I've ever heard of this movie till now. Looks awesome, glad it's coming out shortly here. :D

8. BAR_BAR_DRINKS

BAR_BAR_DRINKS Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2003
    im a fan of del Toro and have been waiting to see this flick!
    i thought was going to be released for thanksgiving, guess not.
    would rather see it on BIG SCREEN than on a tv picture tube

9. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    that's always the case though ;)

I hope in some way this thread will highlight this movie, and get it a bigger audience (even just from our userbase), as movies like this need more attention (because then more will be made!)

I think we should all make a pack to watch this movie asap, and report back!

10. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I would, but it's not in my area yet. I really really want to see this. I just downloaded the soundtrack - it's fantastic.

11. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I too missed this on the big screen. Although usually I despise having to visit the cinema, I was told this was particularly effective when projected. Now I'll have to wait until the DVD release and find a whacking great big TV screen to watch it on.

12. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    It just came out today. You're in London right? It probably should be coming out there sometime soon, right?

13. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Wha? I thought it had been in cinemas for a few weeks.

*goes and looks*

14. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    The US release was yesterday. Although, according to IMDB, you guys did already get it, back in November. Sorry for the confusion.

15. Count_Doodie

Count_Doodie Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2006

saw this film a few weeks ago. a good word to describe it is "haunting". it's really really enjoyable. Del Toro can be forgiven for Hellboy now!

-doodie

16. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I really liked Hellboy - it was a decent enough comic book movie, better than some of the ones out there.

17. weezer

May 16, 2001
    The limited release was yesterday to get it in for the Oscars. It doesn't open wide in the states 'til later in Jan.

18. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Yeah, I just learned that it's coming to Burlington VT in two weeks. I'm so there.

19. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Watched it. It was very nicely done, but somehow I expected more to it, certainly the end. Unfortunately I was left feeling something was lacking.

20. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    The Healer speaks the truth.

I thought it was cool, but ultimately pointless. It lacked a strong relationship between Ofelia's fantasy world, and the real world. Like, it wasn't her really trying to escape the horrors of the world around her because she wasn't privy to ANY of it. She didn't see the guy get his face smashed in with a bottle, she wasn't there for the massacre up on the hill, or for when her stepfather tortured the stuttering man, she didn't see her maid slash up her stepdad. All of those things happened completely outside of her knowledge and experience, in several cases while she was already in her fantasy world.

Likewise, her fantasy didn't really teach her any lessons or represent any kind of metaphor, and it was particularly wasteful considering she died at the end and therefore couldn't take any lessons with her if there had been any.

Overall some cool visuals, some neat concepts, but you could have removed the girl and the fantasy elements from the story entirely and otherwise told the same story with pretty much no changes.

M. Scott

21. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Wow, couldn't have put it better myself, obviously. :p

I thought it was cool, but ultimately pointless.

Exactly!

22. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    Been excited about this one for a while. It opens in Boston next week, and I'll definitely be there to see it then. Opens the day all my final papers are due, so it will make a nice treat.

-Paul

23. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I was out last Friday night and a group of my friends were talking about this movie. It had to be clarified that it was not anything like nor related to Jim Henson's Labyrinth, but it looks like we may go see it.

24. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
  25. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    It's coming here next Monday, and I'm planning on going on the 40 minute drive to see it. Despite the fact that it's a school night.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.