main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lack of respect for religions in the JCC...I'm leaving because of it.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Vezner, Mar 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    It seems to me that you are pulling an Issac Hayes here KK. Once you get offended you come with a crusade to change things for the better for you. I'm a devote Christian and there are pictures/threads mocking my religion along with others all the time in the JCC. I know there are things that offend me personally all the time in that forum, if I am offended I don't post there. You find something that offends you and expect it to be removed, boy I wish things worked that way. :rolleyes:

2. Charn

Charn Jedi Master star 8

Dec 23, 2004
    nope i'm catholic, but I respect your beliefs none the less.

3. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    I am not "pulling an Issac Hayes". As others have attested to, I have defended other religions in the past for the same sort of behavior. I also have never participated in mocking other religions on these boards (or elsewhere, for that matter).

The difference is that I no longer have the ability to edit the specific material on my own. The only means I have left is to argue my case in Comms.

Kimball Kinnison

4. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    Born and Raised Roman Catholic, now dabbling in Philosophy and Natural Theology...

And of course I have no problems with the Mormon Faith. ;)

Anyone who knows me knows I am no friend to the YJCC, so take my comments with a grain of salt of course,

It just seems to me that the YJCC has sooo many overlooked TOS violations. What you pointed out KK is just one reason/infraction out of a great deal many I see on those boards. Any belief counter to the liberal/anti-religious majority present on that board seem to be shouted down with the greatest of vigor.

I recognize that people are entitled to their own opinions, but too many I feel are shouted down in a less than respectful manner... Its all too easy to write off the Conservative Catholic guy as an ignorant redneck, when of course, such things are further from the truth...

I think you are feeling a bit of the heat that has been the constant source of my staying clear from the JCC as a whole. Its just not a place you can voice your opinion and be taken with respect.

Vezner, you're more than welcome in the EUC and RPF. We don't have these problems there. ;)

-I_H

BTW: I know a few European posters that are more than a bit confused about this seemingly vast split between the YJCC and the rest of the boards. I run a social thread in the EUC, and I have had to throw the Hammer at a couple of posters for posting some pretty explicit stuff. The most common response in reply:

The YJCC does it like that.

[face_plain]

5. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    Face it, it is ignorance and bigotry that make the world go round. Always has been, always will be.

Last I checked, this board is completely secular and non-denominational, so anything goes. I don't blame those who take offense to something they consider a sacrilege, but I find it ridiculous that someone who's been here for quite a while and obviously devout about their faith would leave on a whim. If you've lasted this long without getting offended to the point of leaving, that means that you should consider yourself pretty darned lucky that jokes about LDS are rare around these parts. I know it may be easier said than done, but sometimes you just have to take things in stride and pretend it never happened. Ask yourself if this is truly worth leaving over.

6. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Agreed. Vezner you're more than welcome in games, oldbies like you are hard to find these days. :(

I said it earlier today on page 1, heh, man this is moving fast. So instead of repeating myself, I'll just say I concur with KK, Hammer and DM and any others who agree with those as well. I don't have the insight that KK and others have on this issue, but I know just because stuff was allowed in the past doesn't mean it should be today and the right thing to do is to respect peoples religions. The others can say it better than I, so I agree with them.

7. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    I appreciate the sentiment. I have decided to stick to the forums that are respectful and well moderated (ie Games, the Senate, and a few others) rather than leave this community all together. I've spent far too much time in these forums and made too many friends to leave all together because of poor moderation in the YJCC. The YJCC has become a very unwelcome place IMO and I refuse to participate in any more discussions there until the moderation is changed to be more respectful. It's shameful how frequently some people have used the "well I'm not offended by it so you should just deal with it and shut up" attitude. Whatever happened to showing a little common courtesy and respect? If you didn't know that the images and other inappropriate comments were offensive, you surely do now. Yet I still don't see that the images have been removed or the thread in question locked. Why exactly is that? As I've said before, I'm just as against such threads about any religion as I am about mine. Did I make a stink over it before? No, but I always assumed that moderators were taking care of it. Only when I saw one about my religion did I actually pay attention and I am saddened that the moderators have still not taken care of the more serious issues with that thread.

IMO this discussion is good if nothing else because it may actually get some changes to be made on a problem that is clearly getting out of hand.

8. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    IMO this discussion is good if nothing else because it may actually get some changes to be made on a problem that is clearly getting out of hand.

Except that there is much disagreement as to whether there's any problem at all. Making changes to please those who see it your way would (and has in the past) invariably meet with disagreement from those who see things differently.

Politics has always been that way.

9. Vezner

Dec 29, 2001
    Well obviously this is an issue that should not be swept under the rug and ignored. IMO I think that if something offensive is posted or said in a thread about a religion (or anything else that someone holds a great deal of reverence and respect for), if a respectful comment is made that the image or etc was offensive, the original poster should remove the image themselves or a mod should do it for them. For example, it has been said that the person who posted the images in the Mormon thread or the mods may have not realized that they were so offensive. Well it's pretty obvious that they are at this point. Doesn't it make sense that in the spirit of respect and common courtesy that said images should be removed?

10. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Well, that just about sums it all up, doesn't it?

11. Vezner

Dec 29, 2001
    So sue me. As I said before, I never make a habit of paying much attention or participating to such disrespectful threads because I assume that mods are taking care of them and getting them locked (this sort of moderation is common place in forums like the Senate). If I were a moderator I would spend more time watching such threads and taking appropriate action when things get out of hand as is clearly the case in the Mormon thread (you'd have to be blind or in denial to actually believe that the Mormon thread is just poking fun at a religion. Many of the comments and "garment images" in there are very innapropriate and disrepectful to the point of being well beyond simple joking around).

12. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    What do you expect, within the realm of all that's reasonable?

E_S

13. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    No, it was made to describe a situation where a registered user had to sit thru 15 minutes of religious harrassment about how she need to find the rightious path.

If anyone has made this into an incredibly blown up religious issue, it's started with you.

14. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    Not to mention that this style of argumentation is rather poor.

Debate should be about the issues at hand, not the merits of the person proposing them.

-I_H

15. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    Well, that's rather convieniant.

16. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Okay, we're discussing this in MS and we'll open this back up in the morning so we that we can come to some sort of conclusion on this. But right now, we're going in circles and the debate is getting nowhere. As soon as I can tomorrow morning, I'll come back and open this up.

17. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    The administration has made a final ruling on this and it's been communicated in the Mod Squad update for March 16, 2006. Discussion can continue there. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.