main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD LACWAC - Management Statement on Harassment & Poor Behaviour

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Sep 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    As most of you are aware, since the move to the temp boards in March, there has been an increase in harassing behavior in LACWAC, and it is time we put an end to it.

LACWAC is becoming a place less and less inviting to new users, and less and less tolerable for many current users. Much of this has to do with a certain type of behavior that has been allowed to go on for too long. Beyond some standard ban-worthy behaviour, we're specifically referring to harassing posts directed at other users, including forum and non-forum moderators, and spammy off-topic posting. We have always tried for a patient, hands-off approach in dealing with issues that arise in LACWAC, but unfortunately, that approach has not been successful as of late.

The LACWAC managers, along with the rest of the JC Administration, have therefore decided to take action and help make this forum a place that is more inviting to new users, and a better experience for all of us who share a love for Star Wars Live Action, Clone Wars, and Classics.

This thread will be open for discussion.
    Reminder: These boards have a strict zero-tolerance policy towards harassment, whether directed at another user or at a moderator, and violations of this policy will be dealt with severely. Any user in violation of this policy will be subject to removal from the forums and an indefinite ban.
    Anybody who feels that they are subject to harassment should contact a moderator or administrator so that the Mod Squad may address the matter.

2. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
  3. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    There will be no more sacrifices, no slams, no walking the planks, no baits, no flames, no trolling or any other uncivilized behavior.

4. Coric

Coric Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 19, 2011
    Is this JCF-wide or just LACWAC...?

5. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    It was really bad for awhile, but it seemed like it has been calming down :confused:

If you got a troll problem, a little MIAK does wonders.

[​IMG]

Coric likes this.
  6. Coric

Coric Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 19, 2011
    I mean.. there is going to be trolling on a forum.. always.
    Things aren't as bad as it used to be.

If you're going to follow through on this, you can't overlook what Timmy and then ban Bob for doing the same thing.

Every bait, flame, spam, and uncivilized behavior will be punishable.

And if that happens..
    [​IMG]
    ..this place will dull a bit.

7. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Every member should feel welcome to post in LACWAC, anytime they like.
    That hasn't been the case for a while.

8. Coric

Coric Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 19, 2011
    That didn't answer my question.

I also see otherwise. There are a lot of new people here.. they don't seem perturbed.

9. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    LACWAC changed completely. No it's not because of this "trolling."

Esg likes this.
  10. Coric

Coric Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 19, 2011
    Guess that's what happens when we browse a forum for a "kid" show.
    People are too sensitive. [face_laugh]

Esg likes this.
  11. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    This was never the case back in the day when LACWAC was LACWAC, and not this continuous 'being sensitive, we're watching you' garbage. Yes, the regulars posted different opinions and things got heated, but it never came down to this. Post move and the start of this "lacwacy meme" was the beginning of this.

Also methinks the mods just want to rid all of us "regulars" in favor of newer, positive members.

I trust Garth's word, but I can't speak for the others.

Esg and Coric like this.
  12. Coric

Coric Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 19, 2011
    This

Also.. you edited that over 5 times at least.. because I got 7 notifs for it. x_X

13. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    So we're to remove the negativity from our posts when that is our genuine opinion of the show? :confused:

14. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Heed the warning in the OP, follow the rules of the JC, and you'll have nothing to worry about.

15. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Except I do not know how sensitive a mod could get. Not all are the same and they might view the rules differently than others. What if someone posts a sincere post and it was viewed as trolling/baiting? Oh look, instant permaban? [face_plain]

16. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Hostility and harassing behavior towards other users is completely separate from having a negative view about a tv show.

17. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    http://gd.theforce.net/xentemp/index.php?threads/im-disappointed-guys.1653/

That's my initial response after the crap that went down on the temp boards. It still applies.

Did I say anything about negative views of the show? I have that myself! Read for content, people.

This isn't going to be a witch hunt, but you've all been warned and warned again about what was posted above.

GG - I should clarify - we'll define harassment and it is usually a repeated behavior towards another user or users.

God knows people are still going to get warned and then banned - there is no "automatic" permaban, but what we are saying is that if we find there is harassment, there will be an indefinite ban.

18. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Okay, that's good to know then.

19. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    "Awaits the inevitable once the season starts."

Yeah, you guys get right on that. Ban anyone who decides they take offense to my rants while you're at it.

And anyone who feels I'm abusing them personally for my dislike and critical approach to the show? Get over it. I'll be as critical as I like, and if that bothers you, it is your problem. I'm not going to be nice and positive just because someone can't handle negativity.

Esg likes this.
  20. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    ....yeah, that's not what this is about. Read SLG and Garth's posts just above yours.

LawJedi and Dark Lord Tarkas like this.
  21. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    Do you honestly think that permabans are the way to go? And where exactly have you been seeing this? I haven't seen antagonistic behavior at all lately.

Or will this be like the Escapist when they started holding permanent demerit points against users for past reprimands that had since been forgiven? Some people suddenly found they were banned because of offenses they had done three years earlier when they were still young to the forum.

22. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    If I recall, you approved that thread. What was it you said? Oh yes

So that is considered off limits now?

Coric likes this.
  23. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Oh boy, this should be fun. :p

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  24. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Do you honestly think this is some hasty decision we came up with on a whim? Take a look at what this forum was like just a year or two ago. Heck, just go back and read the first few pages of the social thread (and perhaps even make note of the guidelines listed in the OP), then fast forward to the last few months. This has become a different place that has not been inviting for newer users or comfortable for many existing users. We're simply taking a stand against such behavior and no longer tolerating it.

If you aren't continually making harassing personal attacks toward other users, then you have nothing to worry about. This isn't about having a negative opinion about the show, it's about being mindful of the way we treat each other. It's about respect. You can disagree with someone and still treat them with respect. Take this conversation for example. Do I agree with your assessment of this thread? No I don't. However, I'm not going to belittle you for having a different opinion than mine, or get my friends together and crack a bunch of jokes at your expense.

25. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    As I don't believe any of the other mods or Admins have responded directly to this just yet; yes, this is of course a website-wide policy. The top posting of course was expanded upon to be LACWAC specific, but our stance is the same in every forum:

These boards have a strict zero-tolerance policy towards harassment, whether directed at another user or at a moderator, and violations of this policy will be dealt with severely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.